Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Fire Emblem: Sun and Eclipse

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:19 PM

Right, I know this forum is deadish and all, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to post this here as well.

umoCy4r.png

Preliminary Stuff:

Spoiler

Game Features:

Spoiler

And some map previews: (ignore the doodles--those are usually there to remind me which units are reinforcements, and what units come from where)

Spoiler

Let's see...what else is there? Ah, yes. I am looking for experienced spriters to help with portraits and battle sprites.

And that's all for now! I may post more things later.

IUfb9Eg.png

#2 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:32 AM

not a super experienced spriter but I think if I got back into it I could give you something that, at the very least, didn't look out of place in an fe game. You could take a look at what I have posted on the forum if you want, but that is all old. Haven't done any pixel art recently though, so I'll have to dust off ms paint before trying to give you anything decent =p

#3 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:18 AM

I have to admit that the game looks pretty good so far

Would love to track its progress in the future.

I agree with zac in the sense that the sprites look good enough to work on their own. 

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#4 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 01:34 AM

not a super experienced spriter but I think if I got back into it I could give you something that, at the very least, didn't look out of place in an fe game. You could take a look at what I have posted on the forum if you want, but that is all old. Haven't done any pixel art recently though, so I'll have to dust off ms paint before trying to give you anything decent =p

By this point, all I really need is somebody willing to do enemy/NPC portraits, because if I do them, I'll just end up reusing default GBA FE enemy/villager sprites, lol. That is, unless you can do battle sprites.

Oh, but there is that female myrmidon I need to make but am completely too lazy to do. If you want to try your hand at a perky, energetic, silver-haired female myrmidon, be my guest.

I have to admit that the game looks pretty good so far

Would love to track its progress in the future.

I agree with zac in the sense that the sprites look good enough to work on their own. 

Thank you!

I anticipate a hiatus starting Christmas, simply because I will have new toys to play with, but I will definitely return to this project afterward. I have FAR too much work to do...

IUfb9Eg.png

#5 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:06 AM

I anticipate a hiatus starting Christmas, simply because I will have new toys to play with, but I will definitely return to this project afterward. I have FAR too much work to do...

Infinitely faster than me.

I must work at a pace approaching molasses in snow.  On a good day.

RedBlue.png

#6 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:25 AM

^ Too much facebook/twitter/youtube/life/whatever else to distract you? lol.

The main problem I see with working with FEXNA is that the screen size is...a lot larger than it probably should be. With simple face-portraits, there's going to be /way/ too much space on the screen. Dunno what I'm going to do about that. ._.

IUfb9Eg.png

#7 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:44 AM

i just like to procrastinate, so my projects sit around unfinished too =P

on topic i'll have a portrait whipped up for you tomorrow. i'm working an early shift at work, so i'll have most of the day to do whatever. i am setting aside two hours for making bagels, but other than that i should be free.

#8 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:10 AM

That first sentence, ouch T_T

That title screen looks awesome though. If that's in-game, double props to you.

I also believe in quality over quantity. I'd rather you finish more than anything, haha. I'd dig getting the chance to actually play a finished FE hack. Not having a proper conclusion just stinks. I really need that final boss and ending and whatnot to feel satisfied with a game, y'know? >>'

Main character is so LITTLE, haha.

Overall the splices are pretty simple but I think they're clean enough and do their job, so I don't really mind. Having those super fancy sprites isn't really a huge necessary for me so long as the other parts of the game are solid.

The map designs are pretty cool but I feel like the first couple of maps are a little... sparse in terms of enemies. I wouldn't say the issue is the amount of enemies though so much as it is how big the maps are. Adding more well-placed enemies might fix it, but I'm not sure how great of an idea that is, haha.

I guess technically there isn't anything really wrong with having a lot of extra/unused space in maps (assuming you don't chuck reinforcements into everywhere that looks empty to start), it just looks off/odd to me is all. not a big deal though.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#9 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:20 PM

That title screen looks awesome though. If that's in-game, double props to you.

The title screen will have to have its colors decreased, I think, as somebody said the recommended color resolution for the game is 256. I do intend on it being the in-game title screen, and it'll probably look something like this:

ZaNFCzE.png

...Honestly, reducing it from the 17,000+ colors to 256 didn't make it look as bad as I thought. Paint Shop Pro is really good at decreasing colors. Or else my eyes aren't as good as they should be, even with these new glasses. lol

I also believe in quality over quantity. I'd rather you finish more than anything, haha. I'd dig getting the chance to actually play a finished FE hack. Not having a proper conclusion just stinks. I really need that final boss and ending and whatnot to feel satisfied with a game, y'know? >>'

Oh, it'll be finished. I don't like unfinished things either. I can't tell you the number of times I got upset because an anime quit half-way through the dang story. T_T (One of my favorite animes did that. It still makes me so sad.)

Main character is so LITTLE, haha.

Main character is supposed to be 14-ish, but in my story, Bewanians are actually quite short in regards to humans. (5'5'' is about the usual cap for height. Some can go over, just like in humans, but it's not as common) It's hard to show height in FE sprites, though.

Overall the splices are pretty simple but I think they're clean enough and do their job, so I don't really mind. Having those super fancy sprites isn't really a huge necessary for me so long as the other parts of the game are solid.

The older splices are simple, yeah. I feel kind of bad about them, but after the years of these sprites representing the characters, I cannot do anything to them and make them more unique. It just doesn't look like them anymore. Although recently, I have tried splicing different chins/noses/eyes onto them to make them at least appear a LITTLE different than the people they were taken from.

The map designs are pretty cool but I feel like the first couple of maps are a little... sparse in terms of enemies. I wouldn't say the issue is the amount of enemies though so much as it is how big the maps are. Adding more well-placed enemies might fix it, but I'm not sure how great of an idea that is, haha.

The prologue can be excused because it's just a chapter where Ryan is training against some of his own knights. The next couple of chapters, though, do suffer from having too much space and too few units. It can't really be helped, though, cuz FEXNA's smallest map size is 20x15. Unless I were to do like FE Shadow Dragon and have the units be so ridiculously weak, you'd have to be TRYING for a game over in order to actually lose. Actually, something between that and normal difficulty might be something to aim for.

IUfb9Eg.png

#10 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:25 PM

Oh, it'll be finished. I don't like unfinished things either. I can't tell you the number of times I got upset because an anime quit half-way through the dang story. T_T (One of my favorite animes did that. It still makes me so sad.)

hahaha, well that's good to hear... the first part anyway... what anime did that to you? D: shame on it

The older splices are simple, yeah. I feel kind of bad about them, but after the years of these sprites representing the characters, I cannot do anything to them and make them more unique. It just doesn't look like them anymore. Although recently, I have tried splicing different chins/noses/eyes onto them to make them at least appear a LITTLE different than the people they were taken from.

understandable,and that last bit isn't a bad idea. I think if it's not a simple recolor or JUST a head/body splice (with no attempt to disguise it at all) then it's fine. At least for me, they're unique enough for me to be able to distinguish them as X or Y if I were to see them long enough, as opposed to just being "a recolor of BLA" or some fusion of two character names lol

ahhh I see, that makes sense. and I do kind of enjoy easier games (as long as there's enough challenge to make it worth playing sometimes XD) so that sounds good. I'd honestly say FE8-level of difficulty or around there is fine, haha.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#11 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:26 PM

hahaha, well that's good to hear... the first part anyway... what anime did that to you? D: shame on it

understandable,and that last bit isn't a bad idea. I think if it's not a simple recolor or JUST a head/body splice (with no attempt to disguise it at all) then it's fine. At least for me, they're unique enough for me to be able to distinguish them as X or Y if I were to see them long enough, as opposed to just being "a recolor of BLA" or some fusion of two character names lol

ahhh I see, that makes sense. and I do kind of enjoy easier games (as long as there's enough challenge to make it worth playing sometimes XD) so that sounds good. I'd honestly say FE8-level of difficulty or around there is fine, haha.

Two animes, really, but my favorite one was Detective Academy Q. It was just discontinued right in the middle of things, I guess from a lack of interest. The other one that just made me upset was Toriko. A friend made me watch it, and it just...concludes without a conclusion, if you know what I mean?

I'll probably have Normal Mode be about FE8 difficulty, yes. Although any survival chapters will probably have a spike in difficulty just because people always complain about those being stupidly easy.

A planned survival chapter: (boxed units are reinforcements)

dMZ8Rel.png\

You have to defend the gate where Ryan is currently stationed. Unfortunately, the builders of this town weren't the smartest in the world, and the village has been ignoring those cracked walls for a while. The thief shows up to unlock the city gate on the third turn.

IUfb9Eg.png

#12 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:05 AM

Welp, that map looks terrifying. They're quite literally surrounded, and there's not much space for the reinforcements to "move in" to the gates, if you know what I mean--reinforcements would just kind of pop up right there, haha. I'd be scared to play on that map. I guess part o fit is that I'm not very ocnfident in my own FE skills, heh. I'm not bad, but you show me that and I get kinda worried XD

also what's with that weird red... thing next to the wyvern unit at the bottom left? o_O

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#13 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:20 PM

Welp, that map looks terrifying. They're quite literally surrounded, and there's not much space for the reinforcements to "move in" to the gates, if you know what I mean--reinforcements would just kind of pop up right there, haha. I'd be scared to play on that map. I guess part o fit is that I'm not very ocnfident in my own FE skills, heh. I'm not bad, but you show me that and I get kinda worried XD

also what's with that weird red... thing next to the wyvern unit at the bottom left? o_O

lol. A good number of the units are reinforcements, though, and they show up on odd number turns, starting with 3. Granted, you're probably right. This map may prove to be TOO difficult. Adjustments can be made once I can actually program and test these maps to see exactly how "possible" they are. (This may end up being the hard mode variant, LOL) That being said, not all of the reinforcements can attack through the walls, so you can kill 'em off before they make their way in.

That red thing in the corner is a very poorly mouse-drawn B, for Boss.

IUfb9Eg.png

#14 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:09 PM

Ahh ok, I mean yeah I'm just looking at map impressions haha, who knows how it'll ACTUALLY turn out. But my first impression was "erp, that looks tough" XD.

And okay that makes sense, I kinda thought it looked like a letter (like "B") but I couldn't tell for sure and it didn't click that since that was the only promoted unit on the field, it was probably the boss, haha

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#15 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:29 PM

^ Too much facebook/twitter/youtube/life/whatever else to distract you? lol.

Part that, part the fact that I run dozens of projects, part the fact that I'm distracted creating the world I'm working on.  I'm working it from the ground up...from the physics to the origin of species first.  Then the origin of the interaction of races.  Then how that interacts to the present day.

And I even get distracted making it in different worlds.  Ex - I role play characters in sandbox games (ex - Fallout).  I have a massive database creator in Age of Wonders and am slowly transferring it all to that...so that eats up so much time.

RedBlue.png

#16 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:27 PM

Part that, part the fact that I run dozens of projects, part the fact that I'm distracted creating the world I'm working on.  I'm working it from the ground up...from the physics to the origin of species first.  Then the origin of the interaction of races.  Then how that interacts to the present day.

And I even get distracted making it in different worlds.  Ex - I role play characters in sandbox games (ex - Fallout).  I have a massive database creator in Age of Wonders and am slowly transferring it all to that...so that eats up so much time.

I have a ton of stories and do tend to switch back and forth between them, so I know how you feel. Speaking of worlds, I don't know what I'm going to do with the world map in my game. Fire Emblem always has these really nice old-looking maps and mine is...color-coded, LOL.

I've been wanting to make a video of my planned prologue movie, but found out that Windows Movie Maker no longer comes with Windows, and requires me to download a ton of other things that I will never touch. ;>_> I'm not downloading a handful of programs to make a single video. Not worth it.

IUfb9Eg.png

#17 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:29 PM

I feel you guys, though my biggest problem right now is I spend like, too much time just thinking about ideas for stories, worlds, etc. and not enough time actually making them concrete, mainly by writing them down/recording them, lol

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#18 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:27 PM

I feel you guys, though my biggest problem right now is I spend like, too much time just thinking about ideas for stories, worlds, etc. and not enough time actually making them concrete, mainly by writing them down/recording them, lol

I feel you there, honestly. I have 3 story concepts that I think would be really awesome but I've hardly gotten past the "concept" phase and into the story actually being a thing. Then I have 3 stories that I've gotten considerably far into, but then dropped for whatever reason (mostly because I've lost my way and can't figure out what to do next...)

Sun and Eclipse's novel form is one of them. The problem with it, though, is that it turned into less of the war story it was meant to be and into something more focused on the characters themselves. Doesn't help that I have a hard time doing battle scenes. This unfortunately makes it hard for me to work it into a game, because the focus must be taken off of the characters somewhat. (Because permadeath is a thing and unless you want to write 15 million different scenes for whether or not people are dead, the spotlight has to be put on specific characters.)

So I've been mulling around various scenarios in my head, trying to come up with something more interesting than the original premise of "the big bad empire is taking over the righteous kingdom." Because that's just dull, and while it worked for a novel more focused on the characters, it's not going to work for a game. I can do better than that. <_<

IUfb9Eg.png

#19 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:30 AM

I wanted to say "I'm also writing a novel!" but that's really just in my head, lol. Actually doing it is a drag and would take months and I just kind of want to print out my brain's ideas in the most eloquent form possible onto paper in about 20 minnutes so I can publish it and be on my happy way, lol. Sadly life doesn't work that way and I don't have the time to go for a more realistic path right now, so QQ

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#20 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:59 AM

I've tried starting on a novel, but I find I'm much more suited to short stories. They can pack just as much punch as long as you choose your words and scenes carefully, and are overall less stressful in the long run imo. No long term commitment for the most part. In half a month you can have a nice polished story that's enjoyable to read, and also a bit of fun to write. But that's off topic.

I like your maps a whole lot. They look like fun. Also I apologize for not making that mug. I really had meant to, but got caught up in stupid college applications. Apparently trying to apply for college in a different state is a massive pain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users