Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Lone's Starting Gallery

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 ~Lone~

~Lone~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:22 AM

Um, hey everyone. I just though since I'm trying to get into this groove here, I thought I'd post my very first work I finished a bit ago. I know alot is wrong (From clearer looks), but I just wanted to know what people think?

user posted image
Trace

Gonna try to make moar once I get the general flow of things. ^_____^;;

EDIT: I'm gonna scrap hector altogether. =/ Least until I can get his fail worked out.

#2 Tsuki-Hime

Tsuki-Hime

Whiney Fucking Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Anime, RP'ing, Sleeping, Eating, Resting..... well I couldn't think of much I'm content not having a social life:P

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:09 PM

Interesting splice, several points though
user posted image

Black: sometimes it's not so noticeable but try to limit skin shades to 4~5 colors, multiple skin tones from multiple mugs makes it look ugly.

Blue: Don't know if there's a rule, but try not to use border outline on the inside hair which covers the face, if you look at other FE mugs, most tend to use the darkest hair shade.

Green: That hair strand comes out of nowhere, either that or it's a very awkward shaped hair strand.

Purple: Make sure the neck joins, all you need to do to fix it, is to increase the outline colored inner clothes, and bump the edge of the skin a few pixels to the left.

I found your color choices to be pretty nice, and Karel was a pain to splice with the rest of the splice, honestly I tried and couldn't get much better then you did, very hard first splice in my opinion. A very nice first splice, with typical flaws, (don't worry alot of people miss those details) However the amount of hair on the left, and the amount of hair on the right didn't match up in the end in my opinion.

@Other Spriters, leave me the hell alone >_< I didn't have much time to do it, and trying to follow the original concept didn't have much freedom to move things around. So my "fix up" isn't too great either xD

*Note* Since this is "~Lone~"'s gallery, I will remove my own image after a few days xD Since it's taking valuable space on my PB account Because I don't want to takeover somone elses gallery tongue.gif

#3 ~Lone~

~Lone~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (Tsuki-Hime @ November 06, 2009 10:09 am)
Blue: Don't know if there's a rule, but try not to use border outline on the inside hair which covers the face, if you look at other FE mugs, most tend to use the darkest hair shade.

Oh sorry about the skin. There was alot of hassle in my other drafts so I just said "meh" with it. happy.gif

Can you also explain what you mean here? I just need more explanation for further understanding.

So overall, I'm glad you think I did well. Oh and I know his overlapping hair in the front didn't match. D: I was trying to get the look that said, "I cut my hair in the BACK.....But NOT the front!" XD

#4 Tsuki-Hime

Tsuki-Hime

Whiney Fucking Bitch

• Members
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Anime, RP'ing, Sleeping, Eating, Resting..... well I couldn't think of much I'm content not having a social life:P

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:28 AM

user posted image
Grah, you're taking up two slots on my PB account now >_<

I'mk pretty sure the image above explains what I mean but I'll explain it here just in case.

The border color (usually a dark purple) shouldn't be used on hair. You still use it on the hair that touches the (in this case) white background. But try not to use it when the hair touches the skin.

The issue with doing so, is your putting a definitive border between hair and skin, that's why most spriters, and even official FE portraits tend to use the darkest hair shade, (darkest red in this case) to outline the inner hair (hair which touches the face/skin)

#5 shadowofchaos

shadowofchaos

??????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE (Tsuki-Hime @ November 06, 2009 04:28 pm)
Grah, you're taking up two slots on my PB account now >_<

Hint Hint...

Save those images lone ._.

user posted image

user posted image
user posted image

#6 ~Lone~

~Lone~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:44 AM

oh I did. tongue.gif

#7 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:59 PM

Nice name for the sprite. You have the basics of recoloring down, which is good. There are people who cannot even recolor properly.

As you practice you'll get to do much more complex splices where the original characters used aren't as easy to spot (everything but the right side of his hair [his POV] is still Lloyd).

And everybody else already critiqued it, so...

Good luck with spriting and welcome to the forums! happy.gif

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#8 Tsuki-Hime

Tsuki-Hime

Whiney Fucking Bitch

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:48 AM

^Objection!

Blazer's going blind xD
*Points out that the face isn't Lloyd, nor the hair.
Lloyd = Body
Karel = Left Hair (OPV)
Older Eliwood*(?) = face/right hair.

*No idea who that really is, never played far enough to find out tongue.gif

#9 Dave Strider

Dave Strider

Knight of Time

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:life, the universe, and everything

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (Tsuki-Hime @ November 06, 2009 11:09 am)
Green: That hair strand comes out of nowhere, either that or it's a very awkward shaped hair strand.

Umm, that seems to be a scar, not hair. Or am I just mistaken?

Oh, and congratulations Tsuki on FINALLY figuring the member title out. It's been there for about 2 months. But I kinda find it offensive now, could you please change it?
This won't be removed unil I feel like it- started 10/24/2009
user posted image
--
QUOTE (Felover3 @ December 20, 2009 06:50 pm)
Captain Pheonix Wright to High Tier!
What's that, you say he isn't a Captain?
OBJECTION!

#10 ~Lone~

~Lone~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:55 AM

Second Sprite:

user posted image

The first word that came to me when I finished was the screaming word "Fail". I just dont like the black border and whatnot. I wanna change it, but I dont know.

His name is Hector. And no, I did not base his name of the FE Hector. My model hector was meant to be more ferocious than that one. I'll come up with his and Trace's class later, but they are a different class of Laguz that are further than the branded. :3

This is LITERALLY, a sprite in the works. I was looking for a sorta of pointed hair style to go with Harken to fit this, but I just recolored his hair

Hint hint: I NEED HELP ON THIS one. =__=

#11 Felover3

Felover3

feLURKER

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Interests:Archery, Guns, Ballroom Dancing, Cooking, Board Games, Magic TCG, Gaming, FE, Lost in Blue.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

The colors don't work very well together, and I believe you are using FE8 colors for the body and FE6/7 colors together for the head, which is a big no-no.

I need to know which colors you are working in before I can help you futrther, as the steps/suggestions differ a bit there.

You DID look at my tutorial...right? Even though it sucks?
-------------------------------------
The Legendary Lurker

"When life gives you lemons, squeeze them in someone's eyes and steal whatever the hell life gave them." ~Me

Has a Blazor Favor

#12 ~Lone~

~Lone~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (Felover3 @ November 12, 2009 08:25 am)
The colors don't work very well together, and I believe you are using FE8 colors for the body and FE6/7 colors together for the head, which is a big no-no.

I need to know which colors you are working in before I can help you futrther, as the steps/suggestions differ a bit there.

You DID look at my tutorial...right? Even though it sucks?

Sadly, I have not seen the tutorial. D:>

And I'm still very VERY n00b to this.

I unno even know the color coordination from FE8 and the FE6/7 U__U

#13 Seraphinox

Seraphinox

Scribe of the Heavens

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,263 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:27 PM

Basically, Fe:8 colours are darker then Fe:6/7 colours so you shouldn't mix them together

QUOTE (The Best Matt)
"blazer posting sexy pictures.. was it tagged as blazzer?" 

QUOTE ( Oblivion)
Seraphiroth is over rated

user posted image

#14 Tsuki-Hime

Tsuki-Hime

Whiney Fucking Bitch

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:05 PM

Okay here we go again,

user posted image

Firstly the original mug with red/green parts needs to be recolored into a different shade since they're incorrect or completely random, alot of spriters will suggest you use only 15 colors, but if you're not interested in hacking into a FE game then you can generally ignore the color limit rule.

That said however, it does look neater when you use the same shades where the colors are supposed to be the same. (Not just a similar color)

2: What the last few posts are saying is that you want to stick to the colors of a specific game, I mean, you wouldn't mix colors from FE6 with colors from the latest PS3 games would you? FE6 and 7 use colours which are close enough, but as Seraphinox said, FE8 uses darker colors and hence mixing them doesn't look right.

An example is the two red heads on the right. (The colors aren't good, I just wanted them to stand out) But if you look at the two, you'll see the second face blends in alot better then the first one (which mixes colors).

3: Border, try to use the outline/border color for the body that you used for the face. Two different outline/border colors are yucky.

4: Colors, If you use Paint or any other similar program, you'll recognise the eyedrop located underneath the original (black armor) mug. Instead of making new colors, steal them from existing FE mugs. When you have a greater understanding of colors then add your own "custom colors" If you've done that, then try to keep consistent, don't mix Eliwood's red hair and Joshua's red hair on the same mug.

5: Some Fire Emblem characters have 4 shades in their hair, this is particularly common with blondes, but for now I'd recommend recoloring the 4th shade, (which is ugly grey in this case) the same color as the darkest hair shade.

Wil's hair has been offered up as an alternative.

Quite a simple attempt this time, just knocking Harkens head on some Enemies body. It's a good idea if your trying to grasps the basics, (opposed to wasting lots of time on a mug which won't end up too good)

Regardless of what anyone says, what's important is that you like your work. So if you don't agree with what others tell you, either ignore them, or just tell them politely you don't like their suggestion. (Probably best to ignore since there's a lot of short tempered people out there who can't take "no" for an answer) But generally if someone's giving you advice it's probably the dominant method and alot of people follow such guidelines.

Tutorials.... Eh I don't know, I never bothered with tutorials, just fiddled around by myself and got better over time, (And I suck at art xD *Threw her art portfolio in primary school in the bin 3 times because she didn't like her work, and blamed the art teacher accusing her of misplacing it*

#15 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:43 PM

^That there is some good critique... I think... lol.

For colors, taking colors from other characters is a good idea. Lots of people compare to the "originals" so if it isn't similar they'll go bananas on you. tongue.gif

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#16 ~Lone~

~Lone~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

Tsuki is me personal tutor =D

#17 ~Lone~

~Lone~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:18 AM

user posted image

Well, I stole Tsuki's remakes and re-did em and added long hair.

#18 Blood Falcon

Blood Falcon

Halo fan

• Banned
  • 1,079 posts
  • Location:On your mom's bed. Under the covers with your mom. Showing off. My glow in the dark watch.

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:09 PM

The eye looks unnatural and the body is way too unoriginal.
user posted image

I won't remove this until I have gotten an overkill extermination in Halo MLG.-started August 13, 2010, 8-13-2010 Got it on December 18, 2010! WOOT!
I won't remove this until I get a killtacular in Halo MLG- Started December 29, 2010.
Bloodfalcon22-pokemanzz cnt dye
FELover3- If I beat the shit out of them they do

Rujio -- Cows are more important than anything.
Rujio -- ANYTHING

Blood Falcon -- Hey bblues, are you able to ban the GoogleBot?
bblues -- I don't think so.
Blood Falcon -- Damn, lol.
bblues -- He's above the law : P

QUOTE (Grey_Tensho @ March 10, 2010 04:07 pm)
Bloodfalcon is as crazy over copyright as youtube is lol.

#19 ~Lone~

~Lone~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (Bloodfalcon22 @ November 21, 2009 12:09 pm)

Well, it IS my first splice, and I haven't picked up enough to try and form my own bodies. Besides, I'm sticking with Red eyes through it, and I'll remake the body when I get more natural at this.

#20 shadowofchaos

shadowofchaos

??????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (~Lone~ @ November 21, 2009 12:03 pm)
QUOTE (Bloodfalcon22 @ November 21, 2009 12:09 pm)

Well, it IS my first splice, and I haven't picked up enough to try and form my own bodies. Besides, I'm sticking with Red eyes through it, and I'll remake the body when I get more natural at this.

Ha ha... don't take it personally... Bloodfalcon is usually blunt at critique... but it WILL help you..

Besides... he's one of the nicer ones that critique at FEND
user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users