Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

How does my TileSet look so far?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 StrongJoshua

StrongJoshua

Programmer, Gamer, Swimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Programming (Java, Objective-C)<br>Gaming (Team Fortress 2, Fire Emblem, whatever)<br>Swimming

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:50 AM

So I'm making a tileset for my game, how does it look right now?

user posted image
I had fun making those watermarks
My YouTube Channel
My Website (For my programming projects and stuff)

user posted image

#2 StrongJoshua

StrongJoshua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Programming (Java, Objective-C)<br>Gaming (Team Fortress 2, Fire Emblem, whatever)<br>Swimming

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:36 AM

Oh yeah, this is nowhere near done and I decided to make a map using the tiles because it shows off what they look like much better than just having the tiles lieing around. I just wanted to know if the style looks alright and whatever, but thanks for the tip about variation smile.gif so far I've been making 2 types per tile, with each type having slight variations over the other (like the color on the stone and grass). The overall desig of the tiles are the same though. So you think I should have differently assembled stones in the different wall tiles?
My YouTube Channel

user posted image

#3 StrongJoshua

StrongJoshua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Alright, I'll get to that smile.gif

I'd like to try to sell it, but I think as long as the tiles look at least half decent then people will play it for it's gameplay (I hope tongue.gif). It's not supposed to be one of those super slick, does almost nothing, iOS apps that are near always on the front page.
My YouTube Channel

user posted image

#4 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

it's ok

the funny thing is that the watermarks aren't actually good enough to prevent the tiles from being taken

like there are enough working working tiles for me to steal all the base tiles you used

just saying tongue.gif

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#5 StrongJoshua

StrongJoshua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE (Tenebrae Candidae @ Jun 15 2014, 01:45 PM)
Well, if it's primarily meant to be designed for a smartphone, I think you may be better off using more extreme coloring (either bright or dark) and adding those little details to make it seem more professional, since right now it looks like the sort of thing people will often expect from early SNES games or things made with RPGmaker on people's free time. Of course it's not like graphics mean everything, especially for a smartphone game, but it's the main thing people can judge before they try to buy it if they have any form of previewing. I don't have a lot of experience with smartphone games though(never played Angry Birds or whatever's the popular one these days) or discuss them a lot with others so I don't know the standards people have for that kind of stuff.

One thing I suggest avoiding is the pixel art aesthetic, since it pretty much screams "amateur" and "on a low budget" unless you're going for some nostalgia feel on an already significant franchise (I believe megaman did that?) Even if the maximum size available on certain devices suggests you should use graphics like that, the use of automatic anti-aliasing and a cleaner aesthetic(involves simplifying, like for example cleaning the texture on the top of those walls to become smoother) has a huge effect on making it seem less dated and more "highres".

Alright, I get that. These don't necessarily need to be the best tiles yet, as I'm only beginning the game.
So do you suggest making the tiles at a larger scale and downscaling to get the anti-aliasing effect? Or how should I do it?

QUOTE (Fire Blazer @ Jun 15 2014, 04:35 PM)
it's ok

the funny thing is that the watermarks aren't actually good enough to prevent the tiles from being taken

like there are enough working working tiles for me to steal all the base tiles you used

just saying tongue.gif

That's why I added the darker shadow above the image so that any tile taken would look discolored, as if it didn't belong in it's spot. wink.gif
My YouTube Channel

user posted image

#6 StrongJoshua

StrongJoshua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE (Tenebrae Candidae @ Jun 15 2014, 08:21 PM)

That does work, but I had thought you were using a program that already had tools that anti-alias as you draw them, with things as simple as the brush tool (instead of the pencil tool) being one example in Adobe Photoshop. If you don't, I really suggest you get one, since this is meant to be sold and all.

I use Gimp, I just wasn't really thinking when I asked that tongue.gif
My YouTube Channel

user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users