Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Seraphs Summer Anime Preview Thread

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Seraphinox

Seraphinox

Scribe of the Heavens

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,263 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

Hey guys, thought I'd do a run-down of the new Anime Season and see what each show has to offer!

Akame Ga Kill

user posted image

Studio White Fox (Notable for Katanagatari, Steins:Gate)

Description Tatsumi is a fighter who just got robbed by a pretty girl, but his luck seems to be looking up, as another pretty girl has taken him in. What he doesn’t know is that this girl is about to be visited by a family of assassins (including the girl who robbed him) and they might be the good guys, and be recruiting...

Staff

Director: Tomoki Kobayashi

This is Kobayashi's first real project as the full Director, he has done a lot of work as a Storyboard artist or as a single episode director for shows such as Monster, Chobits, Amagami SS and Katanagatari. That's a pretty good track record of shows to have worked on so we'll see what he can bring to this project.

Preview Video

Seraph's Preview

An interesting project, it could potentially be really good and very interesting, or it could ham it up and be another stupid hack-and-slash show. It'll be interesting to see where the Director takes it, as his pedigree is all in slice-of-life or more thoughtful/artistic shows, this will be his first time taking on something as action-oriented as this.

I'm hoping it will be good, animation looks lovely based on the preview video, main character looks like he could be whiny but you gotta take the good with thee bad eh.

Episode 1 Verdict

[Episode 1 airs tomorrow]

Links Anilist / MyAnimeList!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ao Haru Ride

Studio Production I.G

Description: Yoshioka Futaba has a few reasons why she wants to "reset" her image & life as a new high school student. Because she's cute, she was ostracized by her female friends in junior high, and because of a misunderstanding, she couldn't get her feeling across to the one boy she has ever liked, Tanaka-kun. Now in high school, she is determined to be as unladylike as possible so that her friends won't be jealous of her. While living her life this way contentedly, she meets Tanaka-kun again, but he now goes under the name of Mabuchi Kou. He tells her that he felt the same way as she did when they were younger, but now things can never be the same again. Will Futaba be able to continue her love that never even started from three years ago?

Director Yoshimura, Ai

Much like Tomoki Kobayashi (above) this will be Ai Yoshimura's first real venture as a sole Director. Having worked on Storyboards for shows such as Ano Hi Mita Hana (I cry everytime), Kuroshitsuji he is no stranger to the old tear-jerker.

The rest of his resume is interesting though, having also worked on Comedy shows such as Gintama and Daily lives of High school boys.

It will be interesting to see which direction he takes with the show, whether it will be more about the emotions and the feels and be very serious or will we see some comedy thrown in to lighten the mood.

Preview Video

Seraph's preview:

Having been pleasantly surprised by Shoujo manga and anime in the past such as No Bra and Nana I'm always willing to give these shows a chance.

The art style is definitively Shoujo, with the large eyes and gorgeous Bishounen men.
The question is will it have any substance or will it just be boring whiny characters pining after each other every episode.

Probably great for those of you who like simple enough love stories.

Episode 1 Verdict

[Episode 1 airs in 3 days]

Links

Anilist Page | MyAnimeList

--------------------------------------------------------

Bakumatsu Rock

user posted image

Studio: Deen

Description: The story is set in the Bakumatsu era, at the end of the shoguns' rule over Japan in the middle of the 19th century. The Tokugawa shogunate uses the brainwashing Heaven's Songs by the top idols in Shinsengumi to subjugate the country and its people. In this Japan, writing or singing any songs besides the Heaven's Songs is a capital offense. Sakamoto Ryouma and the other rockers rise up and change the world with rock 'n' roll for freedom and justice.

Director: Kawasaki, Itsurou

Storyboard artist for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, with multiple episodes of Jewel Pet Sunshine and random episodes of Mirai Nikki, Noir, along with being Director of both Sengoku Basara and Chrono Trigger, this guy has had quite the random career.

Sound and Music: Hata, Shouji

In a show about rock music in the 19th century Japan it's important to take note of who is leading the music of the show. Shouji Hata who previously worked on Death Note, Fairy Tail, Log Horizon, Serial Experiments Lain, Space Dandy, Rurouni Kenshin and The Big O is taking charge of Bakumatsu Rock and with such a fine list of accomplishments behind him you can expect the music to rock

Preview Video:

Seraph's Preview:

I honestly have no idea what to think, sometimes something comes so far out from left field that you're just left confused by it. The first episode is already out so I'll watch that and get back to you.

Episode 1 Verdict

[Coming Soon]

Links

AniList Page | MyAnimeList

Download Link http://www.nyaa.se/?...view&tid=570432

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barakamon

user posted image

Studio Kinema Citrus (Notable for Black Bullet - 2014)

Description: As a punishment for punching a famous Calligrapher, young handsome Calligrapher Handa Seishu is exiled on a small island. As someone who has never lived outside of a city, Handa has to adapt to his new wacky neighbors, like people traveling on a tractor, unwanted visitors who never use the front door, annoying kids using his home as a playground, etc. Can this city guy handle all the crazy hardships? Find out in this wacky island comedy full of innocence and laughter!!!

Director:

Storyboard and Episode Director for both GiTS: Stand Alone Complex (both seasons) and Noir, along with storyboard work for Evangelion Rebuild 2: You Are (Not) Alone shows that this guy has seen some shit. No wonder he wants to work on a comedy show now.

It'll be interesting to see what way he approaches the comedy and how well it flows, lots of directors have had trouble transitioning from very dark and serious subject matter to creating a comedy show and vice-versa.

Main Character Voice Actors

Kotoishi, Naru user posted image voiced by Hara, Suzuko

A child voice actor is very rare these days! Hopefully she fits the role well!

Seishuu Handa user posted image voiced by Daisuke Ono.

Voiced Itsuki Koizumi in Haruhi Suzumiya, Jun Satou in Working!!, The Crow in Nichijou, Sinbad in Magi which shows he's no stranger to Comedy shows

Also voiced Shizuo Heiwajime in Durarara, Joutaro Kuujou in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and plenty of supporting roles in shows such as Attack on Titan, Gundam, Kuroko no Basket.

The list is endless, what a fantastic resume.

Preview Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNoKD6ohVW4

Seraph's Preview

The description of the show makes it sound atrocious, 'wacky island', really? It just sounds like it's trying too hard. Having watched the Preview videos the show looks like it's going to be fairly dull 'fish-out-of-water' comedy where the main character is going to be shocked by every little thing he sees.

Will give the first episode a try, but it's going to have to do a lot to surprise me.

First Episode Verdict:

[Airs in 1 Day]

Links

AniList Page | MyAnimeList

--------------------------------------------------

DRAMAtical Murder

user posted image

Studio NAZ

Description: The story takes place many years in the future where the game "Rhyme," a virtual fighting game, is incredibly popular and people possess "AllMates," convenient AI computers. Aoba leads an ordinary life, working at a junk shop and living with his grandmother on the island of Midorijima. Unlike his friends, he doesn't participate in Rhyme, nor does he belong in a gang. However, when rumors of people disappearing spread, Aoba finds himself needing to unravel the mysteries behind the island in order to protect his everyday life.

Director Miura, Kazuya

This Director seems to be completely fresh and new to the directorial life. He has worked as a key animator on Macross Frontier and The End of Evangelion.

There's really nothing to go on, so lets just wish him luck on his Directorial Debut!.

Main Character Voice Actors

Clear user posted image voiced by Nakazawa, Masatomo

Only his Second voice acting role ever after having worked on Gin no Saji.

Noize user posted image voiced by Hino, Satoshi

Outstanding pedigree. Voiced the main character of Bakuman, Shakugan no Shana, Zero no Tsukaima. As well as Supporting roles in Naruto (Sai), Magi, Hayate, Gintama, Code Geass

Mink user posted image voiced by Matsuda, Kenichirou

New man on the block, voices Batou in the recent Ghost in the Shell remake and voices some minor characters in Naruto

Koujaku user posted image voiced by Takahashi, Hiroki

Supporting voices in Bleach, Hetalia, Hunter x Hunter, Macross, Prince of Tennis, as well as Yugioh and Digimon.

Video preview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLi1o7kkGm4

Seraph Preview:

Links

AniList Page | MyAnimeList Page

-------------------------------------------------

Glasslip

user posted image

Studio: P.A Works

Description The story follows six high school students who meet during the summer. The protagonist is Touko Fukami, a 17-year-old born in Fukui Prefecture. Her dream is to become a glass artisan.

Director Nishimura, Junji

Worked on a lot of different things in the 80's (None of which were great to be honest) and has since Directed a lot of the second tier work of Studio Deen like True Tears, Koitabi, Nurarihyon no Mago.

Not a great track record to be honest, but we'll see what he can do!

Preview Video

Seraph's Preview

It's a Slice of Life show about a girl who wants to be a Glass sculptor.

It's either going to be adorable and funny, or be atrociously boring with absolutely nothing going for it.

First Episode Verdict: Avoid

I watched the first episode with absolutely zero expectations and I am sad to say that it completely lived up to those expectations.

Characters are bland and boring, there is a pretty shiny sheen on all the characters and the animation is standard stuff, but the show really has nothing going for it.

It's trying to hide it's lack of a plot, lack of anything worthwhile and lack of a soul behind a glossy animation style and long pauses in between characters speaking to waste time.

If you really REALLY love boring Slice of Life shows. Avoid this one and go watch one of the other 50 superior ones out there, like Working!! which is actually funny and interesting.

Links

---------------------------------------------------

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

user posted image

Studio Dogakobo

Description: The romantic comedy story begins when high school student Sakura Chiyo confesses her feelings to her classmate Nozaki. Due to a misunderstanding, Nozaki thinks Sakura is just a fan of his shoujo manga work. Sakura has to convey her true feelings while her relationship with Nozaki develops.

Director Yamazaki, Mitsue

Storyboarding for Kampfer and Penguindrum. Take of that what you will.

Preview Video

Seraph's Preview

Yay, an anime based completely around a mis-understanding. I smell HI-larious HI-jinks to follow. Honestly the story seems a bit bland but if the humour is done well it could be a decent show.

Willing to give it a chance.

Episode 1 Verdict:

Airs in 2 days.

Links

-------------------------------------

Hanayamata

user posted image

Studio: Madhouse

Description: Normal appearance, normal intelligence, normal in arts and sports... just normal. This is the entirely normal 14-year-old, Naru Sekiya. While she admires "Heroines" she continues to live a normal life until one moonlit night she meets a fairy. This foreign girl then guides her into the extraordinary world of the yosakoi dance.

Director: Ishizuka, Atsuko

First Female director on the list. Storyboarding work done on Chihayafuru, No Game No Life and Nana is a pretty strong resume!

Preview Video:

Seraph's Preview:

Not really sure what to think of it, it's a slice of life show about Fairies. I'm hyped up for it based solely on the Director, I really want to see what she can accomplish with her leading the ship.

Episode 1 Verdict

Airs in 3 days.

Links

-----------------------------------------------

Futsuu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yatte Mita.

user posted image

Studio: Feel

Description: The story is about the life of a high school girl, Nanako, and her senpai, Yukari, who end up becoming the town’s local idols (locodol) upon the request of her uncle. However they would soon learn that their new idol lifestyle is less than stellar as they are only be interviewed by the town’s shopping center, appear on low-budget cable television, and perform concerts on top of the roof of department stores. The girls’ salaries come from the town’s taxes.

Director: Nawa, Munenori

Director has a history of working on Ecchi shows such as Kiss X Sis and Imouto ga Iru.

Preview Video:

Seraph's preview

The set up sounds good for a comedy and the character designs seem cute but the fact the Director has only really worked on Ecchi shows puts a bit of fear into me that the show will just be panty shots and flat chest gags. Hopefully it will rise above that and be a good comedy!

Episode 1 Verdict:

Links

AniList Page | MyAnimeList Page.

QUOTE (The Best Matt)
"blazer posting sexy pictures.. was it tagged as blazzer?" 

QUOTE ( Oblivion)
Seraphiroth is over rated

user posted image

#2 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:02 AM

Some of these episodes are out, you need to update XD

I watched Nozami-kun, it was pretty funny, I laughed a lot

Akame ga Kill I might watch

Tokyo Ghouls I will try out but I have a feeling I won't like it (we'll see, going to give it a fair chance but I don't enjoy gore)

Rail Wars! was pretty awful but I am inclined to give it one last chance before I drop it I am far too tolerant

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users