Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

New "Fire Emblem if" Announced

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:36 PM

Technically in the U.S. it's just "Fire Emblem: Working Title" or "The Latest in the Fire Emblem Series" because they haven't decided on an English name, lol

Here's the video:

See here for more information.

So, I personally wasn't expecting this but am quite excited. How about you guys? Looks like the Avatar will make a return, but there's a new writer (with apparent background in mystery and detective works) and there seems to be a theme of East vs. West going on. In general it seems like though the game's engine and core mechanics (cough pair up) will be similar to FE13, the story will be different and we can naturally expect various other enhancements and even removal of some features (for instance, I don't expect children to show up via time travel again).

Lastly, FE13 might've not been the favorite FE game for a lot of people, but I want to be positive and think this one will be fun (which at least for me, FE13 was--first playthrough, anyway) and have some improvements and such, so that's what I'm going to try to do--and in general, I think the community is nicer and cooler when we're thinking positively, so feel free to do the same even if your instinct says I'm not going to like this FE game either, or something. tongue.gif

Or just say how you're not hyped, that's fine too XD. FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO~

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#2 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:49 PM

I don't want the awakening version of reclassing to come back,but other than that: IT'SANEWFEGONNAPLAYITBITCHES

#3 Nephinel

Nephinel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:38 PM

I hope this one turns out to be a massive improvement over the previous entry. I felt that Awakening was extremely shallow for a Fire Emblem game. It was supposed to be a "Greatest Hits" of the series, but the features and mechanics from the past games in Awakening were either implemented in the most casual manner possible, watered down, or included just for the sake of nostalgia and fan-service.

#4 Rujio

Rujio

I eat Axel

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (Nephinel @ Jan 14 2015, 01:38 PM)
I hope this one turns out to be a massive improvement over the previous entry. I felt that Awakening was extremely shallow for a Fire Emblem game. It was supposed to be a "Greatest Hits" of the series, but the features and mechanics from the past games in Awakening were either implemented in the most casual manner possible, watered down, or included just for the sake of nostalgia and fan-service.

I agree. Awakening was fun, and honestly is a pretty good game, IMO, but... just not relative to some of the other Fire Emblem games out there.

In any case, I'll be optimistic about this. A new writer and this east/west theme seems promising to me. Hopefully we'll get more depth than Awakening gave us.
?????????
???????
There, katakana. Happy?
Bobryk -- holy crap I look away for two seconds and I have knots all up in my shit

#5 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:08 AM

Things that make me excited:
- IS is still working on stuff that I'll pay for. It's not Advance Wars but it's good that they're continuing to work on stuff that I enjoy.
- The darker palette. I didn't see the Awakening trailer ever but I love the interplay with the darker hues.
- Some of the map design. That map where you have to bust out of a room has some decent potential to do well. I mean Cog of Destiny well (for those who aren't as familiar, Cog of Destiny is widely considered one of the best maps in FE history).
- These words on Serenes Forest:
According to Iwata, the game will ask you to make bigger decisions than in previous titles in the series.

-- I'd infer from that the game involves diverging plotlines. If so, if it has a decent challenge rating (and fair as well - no more of this "enemy ambushes you with Falcoknights at the start of their turn" nonsense on higher difficulties) and fair mechanics would probably launch it into my top games period.

Things that are bugging me:
- Rock monsters.
- Dual units are back.
- It's unlikely they'll fix most of their game breakers. The 4+ speed thing has been there for far too long and it seriously is a downer for anybody looking for a tactical experience since going +/- 4 against an enemy is far too easy currently
- As much as I like the dark palette, I think it's only going to be used in cinematic events. You can see it only occurs to emphasize the dark and bleak war between two faceless armies. Any time a hero is there, they're pretty much added in with lighter colours.
- That dancing woman. Whoever she is, it seems random and vaguely unneeded with roles that can be written in other roles...granted, this is the franchise which uses a lot of McGuffin characters...so...not sure what I was expecting.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#6 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • 1,274 posts
  • Interests:Games and such. Anime and other stuff.

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:47 AM

I hope that IS balances out the pair up mechanic and lowers the stat inflation.

Posted Image

Posted Image         Posted Image

#7 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:08 PM

I'm easy to please when it comes to FE games so I'll probably be happy in general

but yeah I'd like it if the game not only has a deeper story but has more refined mechanics

also no children, slightly better animations and models (feet aside), somehow make reclassing better idk how, at least nerf pair up significantly and give more reason to value individuals, idk, I mean I'll be happy with almost anything but it'd be cool if it actually did improve on Awakening quite a bit

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#8 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:54 AM

Isn't the dark hue thing only for that one intro?

I feel like it would be awkward to have the contrast between those and the CG style from Awakening if it happened in more contexts than that.

Give us male dancers.

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#9 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:23 AM

hmm indeed

and male pegasus riders? doubt it

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#10 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:20 AM

Children are fine as long as there isn't time travel. Fe4 handled it really well

#11 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:46 AM

yeah I personally just don't want them at all

I didn't really care for them in FE13 myself, in fact I didn't ever recruit like half of them, lol

that's how disinterested I was tongue.gif

also hi Bobryk

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#12 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE (ShadowCero @ Jan 15 2015, 03:47 AM)
and lowers the stat inflation.

Given that it's been a thing since FE9 (IMO, Ike was pretty much the start with his outrageous 50/50/55 offensive stats. Aran make it standard in FE10), I wouldn't expect it to happen. One can hope though. tongue.gif

RedBlue.png

#13 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:25 PM

haha, as someone who actually kind of likes higher stats/better level-ups (I don't exactly crave the high tactical challenge like most people; just a moderate one) I can't say I mind that, but I think the key here is to keep options open or whatever

that's why there should be well-balanced and well-thought-out difficulty modes and ways to make the gameplay experience suit whatever style of play you prefer, if that makes sense

granted it's rather hard to do, but... the games that do are generally well-liked and praised

(I think the Smash Bros. series and TWEWY both do great jobs of it [catering to multiple audiences/skill-levels], though both can sometimes have large gaps in skill levels between the worst and best players--and also in the case of Smash, "hardcore" players don't feel catered to enough due to the lack of things like L-cancelling and a generally slower game speed/flow)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#14 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:15 AM

It seems a Manga writer was brought in for the story this time. Shin Kobayashi,i looked him up and didn't recognize anything he'd written.

#15 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:43 PM

me neither but it seems like he's done mostly mystery stuff (with some elements of detective things [which is kinda like mystery, I know] and horror)

perhaps he's there to help with the darker tone and to help with more interesting plot twists, foreshadowing, and other stuff? who knows for sure~

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#16 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:34 PM

Bows were added into the weapon triangle...I'm not sure how I feel about this. Mostly since it's not a triangle anymore.

#17 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:04 PM

LOL yeah I like the weapon triangle

were they really added into it though? I'm curious to see what exactly this change with bows is though. well I don't think changing the formula is necessarily a bad thing (after all I don't want to play something exactly like FE13!), but we'll see how it all works out later...

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#18 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:57 PM

i don't know if it's 100% confirmed or not yet, but it's looking likely. also naginatas are going to be a weapon...i love naginatas.

#19 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:30 PM

I can't see bows on the weapon triangle. It'd give one flyer a distinct advantage in games where flyers are already becoming dominant.

Granted, FE isn't exactly the hallmark of balance...

RedBlue.png

#20 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:19 AM

well, I don't remember exactly, but I think the bow had a bonus against something, right? but we don't know how exactly that plays out... it could just be something with a similar effect as the weapon triangle; it's not necessarily a part of that itself (e.g. bows don't necessarily trump swords or something)

it'd be funny if bows now trump all 3 weapon other physical weapon types or something LOL nah that's cray-cray why not just embed the bonus into the weapons at that point

Granted, FE isn't exactly the hallmark of balance...

this is also true, but to be fair, the game would be less enjoyable and flawed in yet other ways if it were much more balanced than it is. well, FE13 could've probably used more balance in general, but for previous games, I think that if the balance is too crazy, it takes away a lot of the flexibility and charm of the game. to start, you have RNG and story, two things that have to be considered as far as balance goes; RNG has the obvious result of varied stats for characters which is especially important in a game where stats are single to double digits as opposed to triple or quadruple digits in other games (where a small difference in stats doesn't make a huge difference), and one can't design every map with every class, weapon type, etc. at your disposal because it might not make sense story wise (though this is less of a problem/consideration I think)

and in general you have to consider chances to grind, the skill of the player, what characters they want to use, etc., there's definitely room to improve but if the game were too balanced, it'd also be that much more restrictive and perhaps not fun; imagine playing something like that one guy's hack where moving units was like a *puzzle* and you had to find out where to put specific units in specific places... and even then, RNG! I feel like for a mode to be well-balanced it has to be fair in its difficulty and part of the game is, inherently, luck, and so if you account for the best of luck, you're screwing everyone else, but if you account for the worst of luck, everyone with decent luck has the game easy... the trick is to take away luck, but then FE loses some of its charm again (and the stat-system as-is wouldn't work due to how essential growths are; you'd need to either have like, fractions of stats or a fixed growths mode or something, or you'd need to increase the scale which is like having fractions just with bigger numbers so there's no decimals)

soooo yeah idk tongue.gif

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users