Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

That Contest that Arim was talking about...

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (Tenebrae Candidae @ Oct 3 2013, 01:50 PM)
(even if that's not the point of the contest)

Bingo. I did make a change to something not related to hair, though I didn't spend much unnecessary time on it.

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

#42 arimibn

arimibn

The Darkslayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  • Location:My body lies in Georgia...but my mind lives in Arthias.
  • Interests:I like Fire Emblem...Er...Legend Of Zelda...RPG's are a fav...er...Hmm...Just ask me if I like stuff!

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

So the final judge has made his vote!

The 1st place winner is...

........................Keep scrollin.

Ed! Who won by half a point with a total of 32.5! With Leetofish coming in second place with a total of 32 points!

....Nope. Ya missed it. Scroll back up.

TO THE WINNERS. SEND ME YOUR PAYPAL EMAILS AND I SHALL SEND YOU YOUR PRIZE MONEY.

...And then I'll start the next contest. Lol
"You'll never forgive me? Like I give a damn."
"You got a jacked up notion of fair play pal...and it's beginning to piss me off."
"Though a fight every now and again does make life a little more interesting...dontcha think?"
Posted Image
^ This isn't dead, I swear!
Most of my closest friends have qualities that I despise. But I love them all regardless of their faults.
"Why are we trying to narrow God's mercy? I didn't realize there was a limit to how many people could go to heaven."

This will not be removed until I finish my Sprite Series. Arim and AJ VS The World Started December 19, 2013 (I actually still haven't given up on this! XD)

This will not be removed until The Demon Invasion is finished. Started December 19, 2013 (Hue)

3DS Friend Code 0834 - 1057 - 3616

#43 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

Ed's is O_O

it's cool if nothing else

and wut, prize money?

@Tenebrae awww... SOMEONE THINK OF SOMETHING TO CHEER HIM UP

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#44 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

You troll, Arim. tongue.gif Still, I only lost by half a point, eh..? Better than I expected, for sure. GG Ed.

Spoiler

#45 arimibn

arimibn

The Darkslayer

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • Interests:I like Fire Emblem...Er...Legend Of Zelda...RPG's are a fav...er...Hmm...Just ask me if I like stuff!

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

I know I originally said that, but due to the way you were acting I decided to keep them a secret since I knew you would react this way to them. And because I didn't want anyone harrassing the judges to try and influence their scores.

Ed. The theme was epic HAIR.

You can't get mad because the other entry didn't overdo it and still followed the rules.

And besides. You won 1st place. Why are you complaining? Lol

So yeah.

Leetofish. Send me your paypal email. You still get a prize. XD You did get second place after all. XD So yeah.

THANKS TO THE CONTESTANTS FOR PARTICIPATING.

I shall make a topic about the next contest shortly!

"You got a jacked up notion of fair play pal...and it's beginning to piss me off."
"Though a fight every now and again does make life a little more interesting...dontcha think?"
Posted Image
Most of my closest friends have qualities that I despise. But I love them all regardless of their faults.
"Why are we trying to narrow God's mercy? I didn't realize there was a limit to how many people could go to heaven."

This will not be removed until I finish my Sprite Series. Arim and AJ VS The World Started December 19, 2013 (I actually still haven't given up on this! XD)

This will not be removed until The Demon Invasion is finished. Started December 19, 2013 (Hue)

#46 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:57 AM

And because I didn't want anyone harrassing the judges to try and influence their scores.

wouldn't that generally tend to lower the score unless they had a better reason to score higher, like, a bribe or something

The theme was epic HAIR.

You can't get mad because the other entry didn't overdo it and still followed the rules.

And besides. You won 1st place. Why are you complaining? Lol

because I don't know how to win

someone that doesn't even go as far as half-assing their job gets as close as half a point less

how am I supposed to know if I can win or not

it's like i'm playing a lottery except it's not supposed to be by chance yet still feels that way (especially since I don't even know any reasons for the ratings)

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#47 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

Hey, I did put a lot of work into mine. It was done over a short period of time, but that doesn't mean that I slacked on it. At any rate, even coming in second earned me money. Entering and not winning is still a way to make profit.

Spoiler

#48 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hey, I did put a lot of work into mine. It was done over a short period of time, but that doesn't mean that I slacked on it.

that's impossible for me to believe when you're the same guy that says spriting is effortless

in any case I probably will enter any future contests he has but there's no way in hell i'd likely spend more than like...20 minutes for any of them

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#49 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

^prob not a terrible idea?

and who ARE the judges *scratches head*

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#50 arimibn

arimibn

The Darkslayer

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

...Really Blazer? XD

@Ed. *sigh* I really didn't feel like pointing this out, but you're acting kinda immature. Your mug was cool and all, but you overdid it as far as the theme went. If the point of the contest is to make epic hair, and the other parts of it draw attention away from the hair, then....well yeah. But come on. A costume would apply more to the general mug. If you're gonna keep your entry the way it is, go ahead. But I highly doubt you'll get good scores again. For the record, one of the judges gave your mug a 10/10. And another gave it a 6/10 because it was too overdone. Is it really to challenging to make an outfit where you can still tell that they're human? No Fish didn't go crazy with editing, but he still followed the THEME. Why did he still score high even though he didn't edit most of the rest of the mug? Because he didn't need to. The theme was to focus on hair. He did that. Please don't act like a jerk man. You WON for crying out loud.
Posted Image

#51 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

you're acting kinda immature

you seem to be implying i'm normally mature

I don't even know what maturity is

And another gave it a 6/10 because it was too overdone

so moderation is desirable (I don't know in which specific way, but at least I found out something)

Is it really to challenging to make an outfit where you can still tell that they're human?

no, but I don't have a reason to spend 3 hours or more on a mug that I have little to no confidence about winning that I have little use for elsewhere (although, I actually did make pixel art based on the halloween mug for use elsewhere after I sent it since I did have some level of use for it and could sent you a more consistent mug by using the pixel art version...but I don't have a reason to think that would be better at this point.)

If the point of the contest is to make epic hair, and the other parts of it draw attention away from the hair, then....well yeah.

I don't agree with this logic if only because this means disembodied hair is the best possible choice

Why did he still score high even though he didn't edit most of the rest of the mug? Because he didn't need to. The theme was to focus on hair. He did that.

I don't think the knoll bedhair looks very good for something that says "EPIC HAIR" as the theme either just so you know, the other parts just stuck out more

#52 arimibn

arimibn

The Darkslayer

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

Well your opinion =/= the opinion of everyone on Earth. Just because YOU don't think it deserves much credit doesn't really mean anything. Some of the judges found it humourous. Some liked the concept. Etc.

And how can you feel confident about something that you don't put effort into? I can understand saying that you won't put 3+ hours into a mug, but what you chose as the alternative is well....pathetic for someone of your standard. A costume more generally applies to the whole mug as opposed to one single area. Your entry literally has almost no editing whatsoever. At LEAST make the colors consistent. Seriously Ed. If someone else enters and even spends five minutes on their entry, then there is no way that you'll win the way you're going. Why do I care? Because I like giving money to my beloved Delzi. So stop making it seem like I'm showing favoritism towards you!

Is 3 hours on a mug excessive? Sure. If you do it all at once. But you've got more than 2 weeks. Even if you just spent like 15 minutes on it every other day, that'd be a better way to go about things than to just say, "Someone else did good on the other theme. I'm just going to quit trying."

Come on Ed. You could spend five minutes on a mug and probably do a lot better than what I could do in 2 hrs. >_>

I don't really mind if you don't try your hardest. But at least try and make it look like you're not purposely making a bad mug. Unless I make that the theme for one of these contests. Lol
Posted Image

#53 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

Well your opinion =/= the opinion of everyone on Earth. Just because YOU don't think it deserves much credit doesn't really mean anything. Some of the judges found it humourous. Some liked the concept.

in other words, humor and mundane concepts is something to aim for even if the stated theme itself seems to make avoiding that preferable (though, I didn't really try to make the hair I did serious business, it is intended to look silly, so that means I lost because I was unable to consider what others found amusing)

information get
And how can you feel confident about something that you don't put effort into?

1:I don't feel confident about that mug winning either
2:I don't feel confident about a mug that I do put effort into winning
since I feel I have a fairly decent chance of losing anyway to others that I don't recognize as having tried to a remotely significant extent(this isn't necessarily referring to the not edited parts of Knoll, it's referring to all of the mug), I don't have a reason to put in the effort (because there is nothing about putting effort that will give me a significant enough reason to think I have a better chance at winning)
If someone else enters and even spends five minutes on their entry, then there is no way that you'll win the way you're going.

just so you know I spent at least 10 minutes on that so that means everyone else is more time efficient than I am (something i'm not too inclined to disbelieve)
Is 3 hours on a mug excessive? Sure. If you do it all at once.

not my concern, the total amount of time and the time used in a row are the same, so 18 sessions of 10 minutes v.s. 1 session of 3 hours is the same
"Someone else did good on the other theme. I'm just going to quit trying."

the specific view I had before obtaining more information is "Someone else did bad, and still got ridiculously close to the thing I wasted that much time on. Trying at this point isn't something I can see as meaningful, because I don't have a reason to think it would make me acquire a higher chance of winning."

In fact, given the "Smashed focused on hair and didn't need to care about the rest since that's not the theme" statement, I can imagine "Wow, this person thought so little about the person wearing it that they didn't even bother to recolor it to make it consistent! That's some great focus on the costume, there. And the lack of care for making it seem like a remotely decent costume by not even changing the rest of the outfit to match shows that he is staying true to the theme, by making it seem like a kid that does not want to put effort into making themselves appear convincing." is a valid reason that can be expected.
Come on Ed. You could spend five minutes on a mug and probably do a lot better than what I could do in 2 hrs. >_>

I have too much self-hatred over being unable to be time-efficient to believe that has any element of truth in any angle I look at it
But at least try and make it look like you're not purposely making a bad mug. Unless I make that the theme for one of these contests. Lol

just so you know generally speaking it's a lot harder for someone that does remotely well to make something deliberately as bad as people that are actually bad enough at it

so as far as i'm concerned, it'd be impossible for me to win such a contest if anyone else that has a level of mastery lower than mine enters, and absolutely hopeless to even imagine winning if someone actually, truly talented in eternally sucking at it appears

#54 arimibn

arimibn

The Darkslayer

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

I can't believe the winner of first place is complaining this much. Seriously Ed. Think about that for a minute. You're not complaining because you lost. You're complaining because you didn't completely blow him out of the water.

That is so immature it's ridiculous. And I'm sorry Ed, but I CANNOT believe that it took you 10 whole minutes to copy a hat from somewhere and paste it on one of the official mugs. That takes SECONDS to do. Unless you're counting the time you spent looking for the hat, or you full customed the hat, there is no way that it took you 10 minutes to do that. Or maybe your computer just runs REALLY slow. Those are the only ways I can see you taking more than 2 minutes to do that.

And here's another attempt at me explaining. The overall quality of the mug IS still a factor. And guess what. Not everyone can customize a mug to not look like the original anymore, and still keep it in decent quality. You CAN, however.

Compare.

Here's my old mug.
user posted image
You can barely even tell who I used to make him, right?
Here's another version of him.
user posted image
But wait! You can tell that I used Colm's face in this one! Why is it that this one looks better than the other?

Because not everyone can edit it so much that you can't tell what the original is, and still make it look good.

If in this situation, I had to choose which one I'd enter into a contest, I'd choose the second one. Because it looks better.

Wait a minute! I didn't edit the second mug nearly as much as I did the first one, right? So I can't have put any effort into it!

Wrong, sir. I spent just as much, if not MORE time on that second version. How is that possible? Constantly experimenting with the mug. Seeing what works, and what doesn't. In the end, I found what I could do and keep it looking good. Some people might be able to pull off more, some people might not. That doesn't mean they "half-assed" it.
Posted Image

#55 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

I CANNOT believe that it took you 10 whole minutes to copy a hat from somewhere and paste it on one of the official mugs.

That's cause I drew it. I don't have Adobe Photoshop CS6 exclusively for something as simplistic and limited as FE pixel art.
Wrong, sir. I spent just as much, if not MORE time on that second version. How is that possible? Constantly experimenting with the mug. Seeing what works, and what doesn't. In the end, I found what I could do and keep it looking good. Some people might be able to pull off more, some people might not. That doesn't mean they "half-assed" it.

I'd believe it if it came from someone that does not claim spriting is effortless. If, for instance, you made the exact same mug Smashed did and said you exerted some level of effort and sincerely used it as your entry mug without any thoughts of it being insufficient, then i'd have believed it. That said, your very statement and examples describes exactly what I was using as a quality scale, and that scale ended up being inaccurate for the situation, which is why I don't know how to win.

Seriously, I am not complaining about how my opinion is more valuable than someone else's, that's the dumbest thing ever especially because it is the opinion of a degenerate, worthless, inhuman retard. Saying the opinion of a person like that is more valuable than the average person's(this in itself is an assumption, but still) would be preposterous.

I am complaining and refusing to put effort into winning because I have no idea what the win conditions might be, I can't bring myself to think of making a "better mug" because I don't have enough an idea of what the judges even want. It was stupid of me to believe that my entry mug would have won at the start, I don't even know who the judges are, to expect that they would have similar standards to mine was an arrogant assumption. And since I have discovered that the rating of a mug I considered to be greatly inferior was extremely close to mine, I am no longer capable of guessing what value whatever I would make would have. I do not demand that they judge the way I would judge something, I am confused and powerless because I have little idea of how they judge things.

Even now, if I were to, for example, send two mugs, the one I already did for the halloween contest and another different one that had serious effort put into it for over 3-10 hours, I would have no idea which one would win.

#56 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:18 AM

For clarity's sake, I will bring up that when we had that argument, I meant that people don't use effort in spriting in the same sense that they use effort to run a mile or do 50 pushups or something. I think I mentioned that I put time and work into my sprite, but I did not once break into a physical sweat while doing so. If you wish to consider spriting physically challenging, then do so by all means, but I won't say the same for myself.

Also, I consider messy hair to be epic, if done correctly. (see Nagito Komaeda) If you don't feel that mine is quite in the vein of Komaeda's, or that his isn't epic, then so be it. Personal opinions vary from person to person, and nobody would fault you for it.

But honestly, whatever. I see no reason to further convince you to give the next sprite your all when money for me is at stake..

Spoiler

#57 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:43 AM

Nagito's hair looks kind of like liquid for some reason. I don't like it in that specific instance, but there are times I find liquid-looking hair appealing.

I also like messy hair. And in the case Nagito's hair is defined as messy, we can't forget hair like Yugi's as something to mention. (I actually think Yugi's hair is rather neat due to how uniform it looks and how specific the directions of his hair strands are, but this is probably more of an artstyle thing.)
For clarity's sake, I will bring up that when we had that argument, I meant that people don't use effort in spriting in the same sense that they use effort to run a mile or do 50 pushups or something.

So, it takes negligent physical effort, to the point of which the amount could be ridiculed as effectively nothing, but it still requires considerable mental effort. Got it. I don't recall the argument having any such implications before, but it probably got drawn out from the use of semantics and poor communication.
Also, I consider messy hair to be epic, if done correctly. (see Nagito Komaeda) If you don't feel that mine is quite in the vein of Komaeda's, or that his isn't epic, then so be it. Personal opinions vary from person to person, and nobody would fault you for it.

I think it has more to do with the definition of "epic" differing here. When I think of something "epic"(and this is referring to a colloquial use), it has to be spectacular and extraordinary or awe-inspiring, whereas I have messier hair than Knoll does in your mug in the morning and hardly notice it as being weird(because it's such a mundane, everyday thing.)

#58 arimibn

arimibn

The Darkslayer

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

"your very statement and examples describes exactly what I was using as a quality scale, and that scale ended up being inaccurate for the situation"

"that scale ended up being inaccurate for the situation"

"inaccurate for the situation"

Different theme bro. To apply the same rules to a completely different theme is stupid.

Now get yourself together and stop making excuses.
Posted Image

#59 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

If you want me to submit a better mug so much, why not ask the judges about what they want to see and tell me their answers? What their standards are?

I have no interest in trying to make a mug with significant effort as long as I don't have enough of an idea to maximize favor in them.

Unless the judges aren't the same for the second round (but given my question was if everything not the theme is the same as before, I was assuming that is the case.)

Do they want something they can relate to, something not relatively rare and striking to people unused to it?

Do they want to see something that subverts their expectations by being shown a mug that doesn't fit as well with the theme? (Santa in Halloween, bedhead for EPIC HAIR, Samurai for Knights, Pirates for Ninja, Pasta for Rice, whatever. Not that I know if they even have conventional expectations)

Do they want immaculate antialiasing skills?

Do they want to witness fine detail that is trying its hardest to even fit in the mug?

Do they want to see the skill of the spriter under the 16 color limit despite how that isn't supposed to exist as far as the specific rules are concerned?

Before that, do they mostly prefer that the mug be in its crude form, unenhanced by the assistance of tools of greater complexity within more advanced computer programs?

Do they want to see how well the spriter can recycle colors?

Do they want it to be any particular colors? Is the strength of the shading specifically relevant (heavier, dark shades or lighter, smoother shades)? Do they want the colors to be already existing ones(on the official mugs)?

Do they like girls more, or boys more?

What is it about boys or girls that they like more in such a case?

Is there a broad age range they prefer? (child/teen/young adult/middle aged/elderly/whatever.)

Do they want to see how much an existing mug can be enhanced while making it still seem like the original character in face, hair, body? (this isn't specific to the halloween one)

Do they want more revealing or more modestly dressed mugs?

Is it relevant if the mug wears more armor or more cloth?

Do they hate cliches?

Do they have any interest in who made the main part of the mug first? (This isn't relevant to you in particular in the halloween contest, I mean them. Do they care if it's a new character or if its just Lilina/Sophia/Lucius/Joshua/Cecilia/Klein/Karel/Zephiel/Idoun/whoever already in-game? In fact, do they want any specific character to be represented?)

Do they hate it when it looks like physics are being ignored?

Do they care about who it is in particular sending the entry? (Not that I intend to deceive them with some mature, generous, empathetic persona or whatever that isn't the wretched person I am. I don't even have any awareness of experience relevant to those three specific traits, either)

Is there any ethnicity they want the mug to seem closer to in appearance?

Are any of them judgmental towards certain traits? (unusual eye/hair colors, a specific hairstyle, looking pretty as a male, looking muscular as a female, being a walking spoiler, having dark skin, having light skin, having stylized anatomy, wearing glasses or not, looking like a good person or an evil person, looking like something from a particular show, having an appearance that reminds them of sexism, looking like something relevant to some controversial group like the military, ninjas, pirates, vampires, lawyers, etc. as a few examples. This isn't relevant to any specific theme, I mean in general.)

How many conflicting opinions are there within the preferences of each judge?

How much exposure do they have to the GBA FE series?

#60 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:18 PM

Is everything okay?

I'm not going to step in but I'm waiting right outside the door if you guys need anything or rather if I feel I need to step-in

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users