Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

[COMPLETE][FE8] Void's Blitzarre Adventure - 31 CHAPTERS DONE

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 circleseverywhere

circleseverywhere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:44 PM

DOWNLOAD THE PATCH

This is a full 31-chapter hack of FE8, completed in under 1 week as part of the FEU Chapter Creation Blitz

Play it now, or watch the stream

Screenshots

Fb0kUQe.pngL0Nfix3.png

uEKLkzD.pngJIz3xTA.gif

YSCHQt4.pngV0w8Hpx.png

JUhBUel.pnguyIJfSA.png

r8RvSMG.gifxj76tN8.png

Ej6Clyv.pngPDynyHH.png

tLyi9sU.pngJTUpOMe.gif

------------------------------------------------

When coming up with the Chapter Creation Blitz, I was reminded of a piece of advice I received from Blazer a long time ago:

And lastly, ambition. This goes for any game development project, fan game, hack, or professional, but while a delayed project is usually better than a rushed one, a finished project is also usually much more enjoyable than a not-finished one. You can always go back and make things better and stuff later, but basically my point is, most custom hacks don't finish but it's also one of the nicest things about a hacks, and people hear this but tend to not take it seriously enough. If you can finish the hack, you've already accomplished something great, and you're free to go back and add to it/polish it more. Idk if you've played TLP but it was a lot, lot more basic before it turned out how it did.

Basically my point is... just keep moving forward.

So, I took that concept to its logical extreme, and the result turned out better than I could have ever imagined. So a huge thank you to everyone who worked on this project, and special thanks to Blazer for planting the seeds way back when.

Enjoy!

#2 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:21 PM

DOWNLOAD THE PATCH

This is a full 31-chapter hack of FE8, completed in under 1 week as part of the FEU Chapter Creation Blitz

Play it now, or watch the stream

Screenshots

Fb0kUQe.pngL0Nfix3.png

uEKLkzD.pngJIz3xTA.gif

YSCHQt4.pngV0w8Hpx.png

JUhBUel.pnguyIJfSA.png

r8RvSMG.gifxj76tN8.png

Ej6Clyv.pngPDynyHH.png

tLyi9sU.pngJTUpOMe.gif

------------------------------------------------

When coming up with the Chapter Creation Blitz, I was reminded of a piece of advice I received from Blazer a long time ago:

So, I took that concept to its logical extreme, and the result turned out better than I could have ever imagined. So a huge thank you to everyone who worked on this project, and special thanks to Blazer for planting the seeds way back when.

Enjoy!

Uh... wow. I've been pretty busy so I haven't been able to visit much and just saw this, but this seems super cool for a < 1-week hack, I can only imagine how much work you must have put in that time :o

Reminds me of the one-day hack I did, not a revolutionary idea or anything, but maybe a bit nostalgic to see someone do something a bit similar, but with a longer timeframe

I'm seeing some kind of scary/crazy things here to say the least, maybe it's because I don't mod anymore but there seem to be a lot of backend changes (skills and the stat screen changes for instance) that have piqued my curiosity, and IIRC you were the person behind the RWBY hack? so I'm guessing I can expect sweet things from you, heh.

*31 chapters* is also kind of impressive, I mean, even without the given timeframe, haha. it seems like there are some custom maps and dialog too so... this is definitely something I want to play in the future, whenever I finally have the time for fun little things like these again, but I'ma download the patch now for sure XD

---

About that last bit... like, woah, haha. To think I actually inspired someone, that's awesome haha, thank you for sharing that.

I'm pretty confident I didn't mean to do so, especially since the way I put what I said was... not all that eloquent, but I'm really happy that someone took my words to heart.

Like, I can tell you without a doubt, that if you said this hack wasn't actually finished, I'd have still thought it was cool, but I would not have had the urge to actually play it. After all, that feeling of "aww man, I was having fun but now I have to wait X amount of time before I can play Y!" (assuming Y ever finishes) is just not fun, but going into a game and knowing I can get to the end, even if it's a little silly or rough around the edges, is great, and I'm confident that if you can make a relatively rushed product be fun, a polished product with all your time and effort put into it will almost certainly be a success that many will enjoy :)

On that note, I realize we're kind of dead here, but thanks for sharing it, since I may not have seen this anytime in the near future otherwise, and I've shared it on our discord so maybe someone else will take a crack at it too, if they haven't already =)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#3 circleseverywhere

circleseverywhere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:50 PM

Hey, thanks for the kind words haha

Yeah, there have been a LOT of changes in the hacking process that this project shows off. Aside from the boatloads of ASM, the whole process is done without ever using Nightmare or FEditor, and there is no longer any need to record offsets or make backups (beyond using github for version control).

I've updated the link to always point to the latest release, and we're continually polishing so whenever you get the chance I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

#4 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:36 PM

haha, using github for a mod, somehow I find that funny. it's not wrong or bad or anything, just kind of not something I imagined to happen, XP.

(I mean, sure, I've used git-based repo systems for more traditional programming projects and such, I just didn't really think to use it for something like a hack, esp. if the ROM is being edited directly... I mean, with how hacks were done before at least, I don't think git would be as efficient at things, but I'm guessing there's some new system that makes things go better so it's not making copies of entire 16-32MB ROMs every time, haha)

good to hear @ release, I already downloaded it but I'll keep it in mind that I should maybe check for an update if I don't get to play it in for a while yet, haha

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#5 circleseverywhere

circleseverywhere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:45 PM

Yeah, we don't include the rom in the repo, nor do we edit the rom directly. Instead, all edits are converted to event format and we use #includes to have them all covered by a single master event file aka buildfile, which is then run through event assembler to create a full hack from a clean rom in one go.

There are many advantages to this, the big one in particular being that Event Assembler handles all the memory management and location tracking for you. On top of that, the event files together record every single change that is being done to a clean rom so it's easy to track down and correct errors. To support this we have a full suite of tools for everything from nightmare modules to spell animations to make them compatible with EA.

Thus, the process involves simply running the MAKE HACK script which copies the clean rom, runs auxiliary tools, builds the hack, and then generates a ups for release. If anything goes wrong we simply comment out or use git to roll back the changes to the event files and rebuild from a fresh rom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users