Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Finding a Job

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:56 PM

[2:31:50 PM] ballin1337: if you're super desperate you might be willing to do things you don't like or suffer in the short-term for the long-term
[2:32:16 PM | Edited 2:32:40 PM] ballin1337: but a lot of people are just stuck between "life sucks" and "there's nothing I can do... that I want to do"
[2:32:55 PM] ballin1337: for instance. learning another language.
[2:33:07 PM] ballin1337: it's basically never bad to know another language

and it can be an appealing quality in any job

of course, it's much more useful in some than others but

[2:33:34 PM] ballin1337: just knowing another one is one thing to add to your l ist
[2:33:38 PM] ballin1337: and can come useful in weird ways
[2:33:49 PM] ballin1337: I remember a story where someone got a raise just because they were able to recognize what language a document was written in

[2:34:26 PM] ballin1337: think about it this way, if other people applying for X job also have no notable credentials
[2:34:32 PM] ballin1337: then ANY advantage you can get
[2:34:34 PM] ballin1337: no matter how small
[2:34:35 PM] ballin1337: is an advantage
[2:34:40 PM] ballin1337: and could easily be the difference between getting or not getting a job
[2:35:49 PM] ballin1337: knowing how to use Wordpress or make a blog, knowing how to edit videos for YouTube, knowing how to use Photoshop comfortably (i.e. without having to look anything basic on google), etc. are all small but valuable skills
[2:36:20 PM] ballin1337: if you want to go the extra step there are so many different software and programming languages and real languages you could teach yourself at least a little bit just by playing around
[2:36:46 PM] ballin1337: even mastering Word and Powerpoint--specifically knowing how to do more advanced things in it and not just typing and bolding/coloring text and the like--is a useful skill
[2:37:20 PM] ballin1337: I'm ranting at this point but I guess my point is that now with computers there are plenty of opportunities to GIT GUD if you really want a job

[2:37:42 PM] ballin1337: it just comes down to, do you want a job badly enough to actually learn things and do things that you might not like or have any natural motivation to do?
[2:37:49 PM] ballin1337: so for people who CLAIM they're desperate

[2:37:52 PM] ballin1337: if they aren't actually doing anything
[2:38:01 PM] ballin1337: they don't have much sympathy from me

[2:41:36 PM] ballin1337: to be fair it's tough! [I know I just said I don't have much sympathy for such people, but I do have SOME, just out of an understanding that it's much easier said than done. It's just not nearly as much sympathy as for someone who IS putting in 110%.]
[2:42:13 PM] ballin1337: but an analogy would be like
[2:42:25 PM | Edited 2:43:54 PM] ballin1337: someone is in a desert and falling into quick sand
[2:43:08 PM | Edited 2:44:36 PM] ballin1337: it feels like some people aren't even trying to get out, they are either complaining about how they are sinking in the quick sand, or they are maybe reaching out a hand just barely but their hand is kind of flimsy and every time they put it up for 5 seconds they give up because it's too much work and they're not getting pulled out
[2:43:20 PM] ballin1337: and then there are the people that are fighting, struggling, and stretching their hand out as far as it will go
[2:43:38 PM] ballin1337: so that someone will pull them out of the quick sand (give them a job)
[2:44:58 PM] ballin1337: if I had to save one of the two types of people I'd definitely save the latter
[2:45:14 PM] ballin1337: not to mention employers look for things like work ethic so if there is some gap period where you didn't do anything
[2:45:21 PM] ballin1337: they will def notice
[2:45:24 PM] ballin1337: and maybe even ask
[2:45:40 PM] ballin1337: be like "hey, so what did you do between 2014-2014?"
[2:46:00 PM] ballin1337: and if all you can say is "I screwed around" or more formally, "I took some time off to rest"
[2:46:08 PM] ballin1337: that's not making any kind of positive impression
[2:46:57 PM] ballin1337: if you say "I've been looking for a job and studying PHP on the side" they'll guaranteed be impressed that you have the willingness to do work to better yourself
[2:47:05 PM] ballin1337: especially when so many people are lazy that they won't do their job even when they DO get paid
[2:47:09 PM] ballin1337: forget doing work when they don't get paid.
[2:47:16 PM] ballin1337: see: I'm not doing my job now, I'm ranting about this

A rant about a topic that gets me talking a bit and that I've thought about for a while. the tl;dr would be, how it's difficult to find a job but how people often times aren't putting in as much effort as they could towards finding one and making themselves a quality candidate. Feels like too many people just kind of "want jobs" and aren't willing to sacrifice something or do something they don't want in order to get it. I think it's one thing if people admit they are content with whatever (e.g. mooching off people or not really needing a job yet) but what bothers me is when people aren't really invested in finding a job and are just complaining about the economy or how it's too tough or how you need experience to get a job but a job to get experience. You can get valuable skills and experience just by doing productive stuff on the computer. Complaining isn't productive, at best it makes you feel a little bit better.

I guess a tiiiiny bit of it is that it's annoying to those people who do work for what they get, especially when people are like "you have it so easy" or whatever. I'm sure some people do have it easy and got good jobs without a ton of work but there are also a lot of legitimately hard-working people, lol.

[2:54:51 PM] ballin1337: all I'm really saying is
[2:55:00 PM] ballin1337: put your effort where your mouth is
[2:55:15 PM] ballin1337: if you have time to complain, you have time to be doing something productive
[2:55:56 PM] ballin1337: though obviously everyone's circumstances are different and this isn't directed at you or anyone else
[2:56:13 PM] ballin1337: it's just a general comment because I know there are people out there who claim to be desperate but don't act like it
[2:56:15 PM] ballin1337: and that's kind of annoying

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#2 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:37 AM

I think the biggest issue is that people want THE job, not A job. 

In Canada, there has been a large amount of "long term foreign employee" talk.  That is, the past few years, Canada has been offering temporary citizenship status to foreign workers who want to work jobs Canadians don't.  Janitorial work, cooking, and the like.  Put another way, Canada has unemployed citizens and we still have to offer people a free time as a Canadian citizen to fill jobs.

Sure, underemployment is a thing.  I have a friend with a doctorate working as a construction worker.  But I think it speaks a bit to the desire to find the right job as oppose to any job. 

More on topic I think is also the notion about how we're slowly demanding higher and higher expectations.  I forget the article, but it's an interesting thought experiment...that we're seeing the last generation and decide "I want more than that".  The baby boomers wanted nothing more than a steady job.  Somewhere where you could make your money and retire happy. Then their kids saw that and said they wanted that and a little more.  They grew up in a time of economic prosperity and found a world full of steady jobs and a growing economy.

Now its our turn.  We grew up with parents who got jobs and lived in a pretty good economy.  And it seems our rallying cry is that we want -the- job.  The career that fulfills us.  And we can't find it.  We don't want the daily grind jobs...the ones which is below our skills and talent.  We want our cake too. 

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#3 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:10 AM

If you ask me, it's a bit silly for someone to look forward to a dream job in the first place.

Jobs aren't exactly what comes to mind when it comes to something to look forward to if you treat the money as a bonus rather than the purpose. But then, I do not feel the joy of labor.

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#4 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:47 AM

If you ask me, it's a bit silly for someone to look forward to a dream job in the first place.

Jobs aren't exactly what comes to mind when it comes to something to look forward to if you treat the money as a bonus rather than the purpose. But then, I do not feel the joy of labor.

True enough that there's a realm of difference between the enjoyable and the "here for the cheque".

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#5 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:09 AM

Personally I'm only working for the money. A job is just a means to support your desired lifestyle as far as I'm concerned. Since my hope is that I'll be able to buy a house and live comfortably I know I'll need more than just minimum wage employment, so I have finish my college up and find a better job. It's not really that I want to enjoy the work I plan to go into. I just choose something I'm already good at so I wouldn't have to work hard to get a higher paying job than what I have now. Maybe I'll get tired of that view later, but for now there's no reason for me to look for something I enjoy doing to get payed for(unless i can somehow break into professional gaming. Wouldn't be bad to get money for playing games since that would be what I want to do with my free time anyway).

As for underemployment I think it's being caused by employers having increasingly higher expectations of what is required to do a certain task. People can learn how to complete task X without a degree of any kind, and yet that piece of paper is still required and they won't accept any other form of proof that you can handle it. Don't get me wrong I think that if you want to go into a field like medicine you should definitely go to med school, but a cook shouldn't have to go to cooking school if he has experience to back himself up. On the other hand if you do go through the trouble of going to college then you should certainly try to use that degree to your advantage and not waste the skills that you learned.

#6 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:10 PM

I've always thought of dream jobs as less "I want to get paid for doing what I like doing" and more "I was destined for this purpose in society" from the way people talk about them sometimes.

Though I expect any job to somehow make something that you do unenjoyable in some form. Even professional gaming doesn't sound appealing to me for example, because I doubt I'm going to be playing anything on my own terms and having the luxury to be picky about what I play, for instance. With that kind of "take what you can get, even in fields where you'd assume it's nicer than it is" attitude nothing exactly seems dreamlike.

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users