Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

I'm Sorry :(

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Tsuki-Hime

Tsuki-Hime

Whiney Fucking Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Anime, RP'ing, Sleeping, Eating, Resting..... well I couldn't think of much I'm content not having a social life:P

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:56 AM

I apologise to everyone who I've been mean to on this forum, if I have said anything to offend or irritate you I am very sorry and hope you can find a way to forgive me, I admit I act a bit harsh at times, and that I flame unneccessary and attribute this to my short temper, I am very, truly sorry...

.... /bs
Okay being serious now, I was wondering the use and meaning of the term "Sorry" I assume everyone here can agree that to one extent or another the word is pretty meaningless, it can be used to placate situations (in a fight) and often to make oneself seem polite(I got in your way when you were trying to get out of the room)

But honestly if I was asked one word I detest, it's the word "sorry" since seldom does the speaker literally feel guilty for their actions. In one incident in primary school I got into a fight with another girl, we got called to the Principal/Dean's office was forced to talk to eachother, and apologise to each other.

And while she apologised immediately, it was obvious she didn't mean it, and being the rude little person I am I refused to apologise xD Which resulted in her yelling at me and calling me a heartless ***** tongue.gif
In the example above I apologised, but to be honest I don't mean any of it, actually it was written as a joke.

Either way I just wanted to see what other people think about the word "Sorry"

#2 Holy Kensai

Holy Kensai

Kaiser.

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:59 AM

:/ Kay, I'm leaving you now.

Sorry is just a worthless word people use to cover their idiocy, in a society accepted manner.
QUOTE (Ryrumeli)
Yeah, that is what we get. Never mess with Kensai. XD

QUOTE (badkiara103)
Who doesn't want to kill a helpless little girl.

The Holy Kensai Fan Club!
Holy Kensai Suzaku Seraph Ryoku Mankut8397 Blazer Oblivion Riadansen Caladbolg Pie

#3 Tsuki-Hime

Tsuki-Hime

Whiney Fucking Bitch

• Members
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Anime, RP'ing, Sleeping, Eating, Resting..... well I couldn't think of much I'm content not having a social life:P

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:17 AM

So your response is that "sorry" is directed more at self > (then) other?

I can agree with that, even when people are genuinely sorry, they often say it to alleviate their sense of guilt, and in other cases it's to make themself seem polite, placate the situation to prevent escalation[b]So they don't come into conflict[/s]. So your idea on "covering idiocy" fits into both "seeming polite" and "Placating situations" (EG, You were 15 minutes late for work, you apologise for being late despite you thinking it's not your fault there was a car accident on the freeway which prevented you getting to work on time)

#4 Ramiel

Ramiel

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:02 AM

I know tons of people that say sorry that don't mean it. I say it to piss people off.

#5 Holy Kensai

Holy Kensai

Kaiser.

• Veterans
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:15 AM

Yes Tsuki, that's pretty much an elaboration on what I said. If you're truly sorry, then there is no need to say it, the person will know. Assuming it's real life.
QUOTE (Ryrumeli)

QUOTE (badkiara103)

Holy Kensai Suzaku Seraph Ryoku Mankut8397 Blazer Oblivion Riadansen Caladbolg Pie

#6 Dath

Dath

The One and Only

• Veterans
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:09 PM

People say sorry to apologize to themselves, for allowing themselves to get caught. xD

EmblemBrigadeGreil.png

#7 Tsuki-Hime

Tsuki-Hime

Whiney Fucking Bitch

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:15 PM

Interesting, three responses all following the idea that apologies are a form of self redemption, ah well I assume I'll get a crazy. "I always mean sorry' type person in here sooner or later.

#8 badkiara

badkiara

Capitalism, ho!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Interests:Girlz<br>Girls<br>Vacation :D<br>PERSONA 4 FUCK YEAH<br>Recettear<br>^Child me lawl

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (Tsuki-Hime @ August 26, 2009 03:56 am)
I apologise to everyone who I've been mean to on this forum, if I have said anything to offend or irritate you I am very sorry and hope you can find a way to forgive me, I admit I act a bit harsh at times, and that I flame unneccessary and attribute this to my short temper, I am very, truly sorry...

.... /bs
Okay being serious now, I was wondering the use and meaning of the term "Sorry" I assume everyone here can agree that to one extent or another the word is pretty meaningless, it can be used to placate situations (in a fight) and often to make oneself seem polite(I got in your way when you were trying to get out of the room)

But honestly if I was asked one word I detest, it's the word "sorry" since seldom does the speaker literally feel guilty for their actions. In one incident in primary school I got into a fight with another girl, we got called to the Principal/Dean's office was forced to talk to eachother, and apologise to each other.

And while she apologised immediately, it was obvious she didn't mean it, and being the rude little person I am I refused to apologise xD Which resulted in her yelling at me and calling me a heartless ***** tongue.gif
In the example above I apologised, but to be honest I don't mean any of it, actually it was written as a joke.

Either way I just wanted to see what other people think about the word "Sorry"

I do not want to miss the day that you actually mean that XD

Anyway most people use sorry just to get out of trouble since for some stupid reason it reduces your punishment on school or whatever.

While if you get like in a fight with a friend then they can mean it since they want to stay friends Or just get whatever good stuff you have

In the end, it is mostly for theirselves.
Best FE character (Click Here To Hide/Show Text)
QUOTE (Seraphinox)
The "Best" character is easily matthew, because without him theres no S Rank

Seraph approved of me being awesome user posted image (refer to "Best of them all in Fire Emblem General Discussion)
I know he means the character Matthew but whatever

#9 Seraphinox

Seraphinox

Scribe of the Heavens

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,263 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:59 PM

People say sorry to apologize to themselves, for allowing themselves to get caught. xD

Mostly I say sorry for this reason except when I actually hurt someone, then I immediately feel really bad and have to say sorry 1000 times or so. I just feel really guilty
QUOTE (The Best Matt)
"blazer posting sexy pictures.. was it tagged as blazzer?" 

QUOTE ( Oblivion)
Seraphiroth is over rated

user posted image

#10 Tsuki-Hime

Tsuki-Hime

Whiney Fucking Bitch

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:43 PM

Again two more responses, one indicating a lack of meaning, another indicating a tendency to alleviate their own sense of guilt. Hmm are there any cases when people are genuinely sorry to an external body due to genuinely feeling guilty?

I mean Seraphs is pretty close but essentially it seems like he's focusing on his own guilt.

So far I find the word "sorry" to be a complete lie :/

#11 Holy Kensai

Holy Kensai

Kaiser.

• Veterans
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:09 PM

Like I stated earlier, when you're actually sorry you don't need to say it.
QUOTE (Ryrumeli)

QUOTE (badkiara103)

#12 Dath

Dath

The One and Only

• Veterans
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

I'm really weird. Like...I'll feel guilty about killing a fly in my room, but then later I'll go and kill a bunch of soldiers/monsters/aliens w/e on Video games and feel strong and empowered. xP

EmblemBrigadeGreil.png

#13 Tsuki-Hime

Tsuki-Hime

Whiney Fucking Bitch

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:36 AM

^^ So how does one express their genuine apology? Or is ignoring the opposition and brooding a sign that you are sorry? Or perhaps compensation gifts?

^Hmm well essentially game characters are electric bits of data, while the fly was a living creature, I guess it's possible to feel bad over the death of a fly if you're really crazy sensitive. Honestly I wouldn't give either a second thought :/

#14 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • 1,977 posts
  • Interests:dingleberries

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:58 AM

You can't use that school example to say ppl never mean it. I mean how many times was I forced to say sorry when I punched my brother for being a ****? I have to admit I'll quickly pass the word if I bump into someone or almost bump into them. But if I like hurt someone (physical or emotional) I mean it when I say it. Unless its someone I don't like then I'm like HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
user posted image

#15 AkaiHinata

AkaiHinata

An Innocent Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, drawing, rollerblading, texting, talking, dancing, singing.

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:10 AM

Saying you're sorry doesnt make anything all better. You say it you mean it. Though I say things I dont mean when I'm in a bitchy mood. If i do mean dont say im sorry. I do have a habit of saying the word "sorry" all the time, which I that its annoying. So sorry is just a word that means nothing unless you mean it. And that was the rant of a half asleep girl. X.X
user posted image

made by my baby!!

#16 Felover3

Felover3

feLURKER

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Interests:Archery, Guns, Ballroom Dancing, Cooking, Board Games, Magic TCG, Gaming, FE, Lost in Blue.

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:21 AM

Sorry by itself is nothing but a conversation starter involving the subject for me. (Unless it's one of those bumping into someone moments, then it would be Excuse me)

Whenever I apoogize to someone, I generally don't feel too much guilt, but I often go over to them and go, "Person, I am sorry that ACTION happened...." with me going on explaining what I feel I did was wrong, and I usually end it being "...you don't have to forgive me, but I would like it that one incident does not ruin our INSERT RELATION TO PERSON HERE".

Probably explained it wrong though.
-------------------------------------
The Legendary Lurker

"When life gives you lemons, squeeze them in someone's eyes and steal whatever the hell life gave them." ~Me

Has a Blazor Favor

#17 Holy Kensai

Holy Kensai

Kaiser.

• Veterans
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

If you're sorry, all you really need is some serious eye contact. From that, everyone learns everything they need to know.
QUOTE (Ryrumeli)

QUOTE (badkiara103)

#18 Tino

Tino

Omega Member

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:15 PM

I only rarely say 'sorry' as in 'apologies'. I usually use 'sorry' as a sarcastic or obtuse statement. In a discussion, for example.

"Sorry, but don't you realise you've no idea what you're talking about?"

#19 Dave Strider

Dave Strider

Knight of Time

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:life, the universe, and everything

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

I say sorry a lot, but when I do I almost always mean it. I think the definition of sorry not only varies from person to person, but it also matters who's saying sorry.
This won't be removed unil I feel like it- started 10/24/2009
user posted image
--
QUOTE (Felover3 @ December 20, 2009 06:50 pm)
Captain Pheonix Wright to High Tier!
What's that, you say he isn't a Captain?
OBJECTION!

#20 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:40 PM

If I'm actually going to apologise, I'll say it. But otherwise, I don't. For the most part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users