Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Greetings

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 El Grillo

El Grillo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm a longtime FE player and recent coding enthusiast. A friend of mine told me about this community, and I decided I'd try my hand at FE7 ROM hacking. My goal is to produce a short but complete game (5 chapter introduction, then one of two paths with an additional 5 chapters) with an emphasis on storytelling and gameplay. I plan on making quite a few game-mechanics changes but virtually no artistic changes. If anyone has a spare 15 minutes, please demo my Prologue (Google Drive).

Feedback is always appreciated.

Cheers,
El Grillo

EDIT: Updated link to better reflect work in progress.
See my work in progress here: In Contempt of Contrition, via Google Drive

Latest update: Ch1 Test v1.2
Updated 04/21/14
+ Visual updates
+ Fixed a potentially out-of-sequence event bug
+ Fixed typos

Full Changelog: via Google Drive
Save Files: via Google Drive

#2 Elwood

Elwood

Crusader of Light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:21 PM

Hail pilgrim, welcome to the Shrine!

Fe-Shrine-sig.png
I will not remove this until I complete the Ritual of the Mahjarrat quest in Runescape - started 4/18/15 - completed 12/20/15

QUOTE (SmashedFish @ Jan 21 2013, 12:21 PM)  Bobryk's expertise with boobs is not to be doubted

#3 Shamison

Shamison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Romhacking<br>Fire Emblem<br>Stuff...

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

Hello. Your link doesnt seem to be working. At least i can't use it.
user posted image

#4 El Grillo

El Grillo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:45 PM

Putting it in parentheses prevented the forum from parsing it as a link. I'll edit my first post accordingly. Meanwhile, this should do the trick:

Google Drive

EDIT: Updated the link to better reflect work in progress.

Updated 04/21/14
+ Visual updates
+ Fixed typos

#5 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:45 AM

Welcome to the forums =)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#6 Shamison

Shamison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

Well I played your hack.
There is a lot wrong but don't take that as an insult. If this is your first hack it was very good.
First portraits. Are you planning on changing them? If you aren't I suggest it. It was wierd with the old characters faces with new names.
Also was the Marcus replacement supposed to dissipate after the first turn? And what is up with eliwoods battle palette? His hair is messed up.
Also the map has some errors such as tiles don't blend, shadows, and walls that don't connect.
But on the upside it was pretty good. and I feel bad for ragging on it so much Nice talk events and such. Keep up the good work it looks promising and I look forward to more. And I can't help with story since that isn't my forte but the text looked nice.
Well I think I covered all the major things I noticed.
user posted image

#7 El Grillo

El Grillo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:24 AM

Hello,

Thanks for your comments. Please allow me to address them point by point:

Re: Portraits
I have no experience with sprite editing, and my time is limited. I want to focus my efforts on gameplay and storytelling. If you could link me to a source of premade custom sprites, then I would consider using them. Otherwise, it's not a priority.

Re: Map tiling inconsistencies
See above, replacing maps with sprites. I'm willing to put a bit more time into polishing my maps when I'm closer to a completed release. For now, it's not a priority.

Re: Peter disappearing on T1
Yep. I scripted the map from a blank template, so everything that happens is intentional. I don't let the player control him in a meaningful way, because letting him rescue Gerrard on any turn leads to unpredictable and undesired outcomes.

Re: Gerrard's battle palette
Although I won't be doing any sprite editing, I do plan on palette-swapping some characters (with Jaffar, in this case). I chose those colors, because I wanted to show that Gerrard's hair is graying, as he's well into middle age. I admit that this is inconsistent with the portrait, but again, it's not a priority.

In summary, I'm afraid that you and other players will have to suspend their disbelief with regards to character art and some other graphical elements. If it's really an issue for you, provide me with alternatives, and I'd be happy to discuss incorporating them.

Updated 04/21/14
+ Visual updates
+ Fixed typos

#8 Shamison

Shamison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:24 AM

Okay.

Well if you aren't going to change them that's fine.

If you plan on refining maps that's good.( I do the same thing with my maps)

About peter. It just seemed wierd when he disappeared. He just left with no warning but later(turn 2 I think) some text said something about him needing to leave.

And the battle palette is fine other than a few pixels in his hair are white and look wierd but if that's what your'e going for than it's fine just a little not polished I guess.
user posted image

#9 El Grillo

El Grillo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:02 AM

Shamison, I took your critique into consideration and revised the prologue map/events accordingly (new portraits are still off the menu for now). For example, here's the new map in v1.2:

user posted image

I'm going to take tomorrow off, but expect a rough draft of Chapter 1 sometime on Monday!

Updated 04/21/14
+ Visual updates
+ Fixed typos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users