Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Fire Blazer : (15 September 2019 - 05:39 AM) I do kinda miss the days these forums were active :(
@  Ezra : (29 August 2019 - 04:14 PM) *BOX!!!*
@  kirant : (19 August 2019 - 12:49 PM) Huh. Bothammer time.
@  Elwood : (12 August 2019 - 05:57 AM) Oh, new posts! ...And it's bots. Kinda nostalgic actually.
@  xcrash1998 : (22 June 2019 - 09:24 PM) (Brushes dust of the Shoutbox)
@  Elwood : (17 June 2019 - 06:14 AM) *tumbleweed*
@  Lucina : (16 June 2019 - 09:19 AM) Whew. I haven't been here in forever.
@  Cero : (11 June 2019 - 06:51 PM) oof
@  kirant : (01 June 2019 - 05:54 PM) f
@  Fire Blazer : (30 May 2019 - 03:01 AM) rip
@  Valke : (29 May 2019 - 08:20 AM) bruh i deleted my discord a few months ago,,,,
@  Fire Blazer : (28 May 2019 - 01:59 AM) glad ur alive. join our Discord
@  Fire Blazer : (28 May 2019 - 01:59 AM) yo
@  Valke : (25 May 2019 - 03:08 PM) im alive, college finally gave me breaks (coupled with a few assignments i need to turn next week)
@  Valke : (25 May 2019 - 03:07 PM) hi
@  Valke : (25 May 2019 - 03:07 PM) guys
@  Fire Blazer : (25 March 2019 - 10:43 PM) how things have changed
@  Elwood : (12 March 2019 - 08:31 AM) (a sigh somewhere between small and large)
@  kirant : (12 March 2019 - 05:40 AM) (larger sigh)
@  Fire Blazer : (11 March 2019 - 08:49 PM) (small sigh)

Photo

Ryar's Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ryar24

Ryar24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:02 AM

Hey there!

Recently, I'd been playing one Fire Emblem mod after another, and after seeing the works of people like Blazer, MageKnight404, and Alfred Kamon, I just felt inspired and it had me thinking, "Wow... I wish I could make something like that."

So, I downloaded a few GBA Fire Emblem hacking programs toward that end. Now, I have to admit that my computer literacy is pretty basic and modding is very new territory for me. When I see code, it just looks like a bunch of numbers and letters to me, but I'm hoping it will eventually mean something.

Anyway, I'm aware it's a long road ahead and I'm bound to have a ton of questions to ask along the way, so I figured it's probably best to keep them all in one topic. Also, when I ask a question, may I ask that it's answer in the simplest terms possible? As I said, I'm totally new at this, but I'm willing to learn!

Anyway, the first thing I'm wondering about is character portraits, like how does one take the portrait of a character in one game, and insert it into another? (I want to make a mod of FE7, replacing Lyn with Marisa (FE8). Aside from the obvious portrait, cutscene, and battle sprite changes, she'd operate pretty much the same way Lyn originally did, except maybe renaming the class "Merc Lord," if I can. tongue.gif ) It sounds like it should be a simple copy & paste over the original, or is it something a bit more complex than that? Also, are the portraits pulled directly from the game data, or from another source, and if it's the former case, what program accesses it?

Also on the subject of character portraits, how do people make originals? I'm guessing they use an existing portrait as a reference to tell where the eyes, nose, neck, and all that are, and edit over it accordingly, but I could be wrong...

#2 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:22 AM

Also on the subject of character portraits, how do people make originals? I'm guessing they use an existing portrait as a reference to tell where the eyes, nose, neck, and all that are, and edit over it accordingly, but I could be wrong...

sometimes they use parts from existing ones

sometimes they do what you said

sometimes they go from scratch

whatever the case, they're going to be doing a fair bit of manual work one way or another

Anyway, the first thing I'm wondering about is character portraits, like how does one take the portrait of a character in one game, and insert it into another? (I want to make a mod of FE7, replacing Lyn with Marisa (FE8). Aside from the obvious portrait, cutscene, and battle sprite changes, she'd operate pretty much the same way Lyn originally did, except maybe renaming the class "Merc Lord," if I can.  tongue.gif ) It sounds like it should be a simple copy & paste over the original, or is it something a bit more complex than that? Also, are the portraits pulled directly from the game data, or from another source, and if it's the former case, what program accesses it?

what you're asking about is fairly easy because of the available programs for hacking developed specifically for FE

it's a tad more complex than a copy and paste but nothing really confusing (I'd explain it to you in detail right now but I'm on 3 hours of sleep since yesterday's morning and plenty of people here can explain it better or as well as I can)

anyway I generally suggest that you read the Ultimate Tutorial before asking too many questions, and don't underestimate how difficult this can get beyond really simple edits

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#3 Ryar24

Ryar24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:33 PM

From the Ultimate Tutorial:
First, you need a portrait with frames and a chibi. I can’t help you with this. This is a spriting thing. You’ll have to learn how to sprite and make your own portraits or request portraits from others (the latter is a bit difficult—people don’t wait around for random people to request portraits, most of the time).

Does this refer to custom portraits or all portraits? If it's just the custom portraits, then where do the existing portraits come from, or rather, is there a program in FEditior or Nightmare that can pull them from the game data? The answer may be in the Ultimate Tutorial as well, but if so, I haven't found it yet...

EDIT:
I THINK I may have figured out part of it. Using FEditor's Portrait Editor, I saved Marisa's portrait data as .png files, and then loaded them over Lyn's data. I clicked Save each time to make them stick. However, I'm still yet to figure out how to apply those changes to the actual game, since Lyn's portrait is still there.

EDIT 2:
Okay, read further into the tutorial, and finally made the change stick, so mission accomplished... for now. Now to figure out how to change the displayed name...

EDIT 3:
I noticed something strange. Just playing around with Nightmare's Character Editor, I altered Lyn's parameters somewhat (growth rates and element in particular) and now she only attacks enemies from the map, instead of going into the battle screen (I did check the options menu, and it's supposed to go to the battle screen). The reason I figured this is that Sain and Kent's stats are left untouched, but they still go into the battle screen.
Speaking of Sain and Kent, by the way, I'd replaced their portraits with Amelia and Franz, respectively (yeah, I'm sure it's going to be an interesting tale. Feel free to ask me about the storyline I have in mind). Now, as funny as it was to see Amelia try to hit on Marisa (a cutscene that will be changed, obviously, not that I have a problem with lesbianism or anything smile.gif), their faces are glitched. I'm guessing The Sacred Stones had some sort of programming associated with portraits that Blazing Sword lacked, and I'm guessing I have to erase part of their face display that's incompatible with FE7, but I don't know what part. Oddly, Marisa's portrait transition turned out fine, though I'm guessing that's because either Lyn's face had wider range or Marisa lacked that facial feature that's not compatible with FE7...
Here are some pictures showing my problem:
user posted image
user posted image

Also, is it possible for Eliwood's Knight Lord class with Durandal, Hector's Great Lord Class with Armads, and Lyn's Blade Lord Class with Sol Katti to be primary battle sprites instead of alternates for when those weapons are used?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users