Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Color Scheme Advice

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 YakYak

YakYak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

A:

user posted image

or

B:

user posted image

EDIT: I see the specks on the blue. I'll get those taken care of.

#2 Ristau

Ristau

LIGHTS Super-fan

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

the cloak on the first one isn't even shaded dry.gif
Posted Image

#3 YakYak

YakYak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

I think that's really the main problem. I like the darker color, but wherever I ripped the palette from wasn't built for clothes shading. It's there, at least sorta, but it doesn't show as well.

#4 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

Solution:Adjust the colors yourself instead of only ripping off something else's palette.

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#5 MagixTricks

MagixTricks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

I hope I'm not mistaken, but from what I can tell the second one has a higher lightest tone in the hair?

If so I like that hair better.

#6 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:48 AM

B plays the cold/hot colour spectrum much better. It's much like the commonly used dark blue/bright orange spectrum most movie posters use.

Therefore, B.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#7 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:11 AM

B ) - Also, you should change the color used around the cloak (a purplish one) to something better, it sticks out a little. Perhaps try FE8 colors?

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#8 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Tons of stuff, figure them out yourself.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:10 AM

B. I never liked portraits that used the "outline color". The portrait itself is pretty cool, though I think you should do something about the eyes. Oh and if you try FE8 colors (like Blazer suggested), then change all the colors to FE8 ones. It's kinda of a rule that you don't mix the two.
Posted Image
Posted Image
This won't be removed until Chile wins the World Cup - Started 24/06/12
BTW, I take map requests if anyone wants to make one XD, just send me a PM and I'll most likely accept. If you wanna see some of previous work you can visit my gallery here, I'd skip to the end because I've improved alot XD.

#9 YakYak

YakYak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE (MagixTricks @ Aug 18 2013, 01:12 PM)
I hope I'm not mistaken, but from what I can tell the second one has a higher lightest tone in the hair?

If so I like that hair better.

Nope, it's a trick of the colors.

QUOTE (Tenebrae Candidae @ Aug 18 2013, 12:47 PM)
Solution:Adjust the colors yourself instead of only ripping off something else's palette.

Well, what I'm doing is keeping the colors within the established FE7 scheme, as opposed to working custom colors, which could end up looking out of place next to other portraits.

QUOTE (Blazer @ Aug 18 2013, 06:11 PM)
B ) - Also, you should change the color used around the cloak (a purplish one) to something better, it sticks out a little. Perhaps try FE8 colors?

That's been a bit of a concern of mine, but I'm at the 16-color limit. Gotta figure out how to get rid of a color, and then substitute a third shade of red in. I took that from Hector's cape in the coronation scene, but that only has two shades. Hmm, maybe Eliwood's hair...

EDIT:

user posted image

Still need to work on the eyes, but stray pixels gone and an alternate palette found.

#10 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

custom colors, which could end up looking out of place next to other portraits.

only matters if you're significantly colorblind or if you're using an image editing program that makes adjusting colors an incredibly annoying, unnecessary effort

there's no need to finalize until it's actually released so whenever you see it being awkward with the majority of the portraits you can just adjust it again anyway if it was too hard to pull off the first time

also some FE7 portraits have some terrible coloring (I can only think of one off the top of my head, but in any case the red was way too much more intense yet dark in that compared to the outline, generally speaking you will almost never want colors in the portrait to look darker than the outline)

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users