Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Suggest a Game Thread

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

Okay, that sounds like some serious fun. I'll have to keep an eye out for a used copy next time I go to Gamestop.

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

#22 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Haha, well...I really enjoyed it, it was up there with Borderlands 2 as one of my top 2012 games. But that's just me tongue.gif

#23 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

user posted image

Original Release: March 2, 1998, Game Boy (rereleased 29 days later for the Game Boy Color)

Price:
Color, used: around $5.50 on Amazon
3DS Store: $4.99 (25¢ tax for me, but maybe not if you live in a different area)

Wario Land II, along with the rest of the Wario Land series, is a twist off the Mario series. Instead of emphasizing clearing levels before the timer strikes zero, Wario's greed compels him to spend every level trying to earn as many coins and other treasures as possible. As such, the levels are larger, with more hidden rooms, features, and pathways, but also more puzzles that need solving before you can advance. Thankfully, there's no timer, so you can spend as long as you want on every stage, each (or at least, most of them, it's been a while) of which has its own unique tune. Additionally, every stage has a hidden room that features a memory mini-game that you can play for varying amounts of coins, depending on the difficulty that you select. Success will win you a treasure, unique to that stage. Upon finishing a stage, you're also given the option to play another game in which you pay 50 coins per panel to turn panels, each revealing a part of a number. Guessing the number correctly earns you a piece of the treasure map, which awards a bonus stage when completed.

Adding to your ability to successfully collect every coin in a level are the alternate forms you can take by interacting with (read: being hit in the face by) various enemies, allowing you to be on fire, even fatter than normal, or even a zombie. Should one part of a level give you too much trouble, don't worry- you can't die in this game. Contact with enemies merely takes some of your remaining coins. As a flip side to this, being hit by a boss even once will require you to fight them again, but thankfully, you don't have to restart the whole level. Lastly, there are a total of 50 normal stages and 5 endings, counting the canon one. It becomes easier to find these once you beat any ending the first time through, as that unlocks the stage select screen, where you can play any stage you've already cleared. While some alternate story lines are easier to find (hint: take the day off and don't get out of bed!), some still escape me after about 15 years of play, on and off. If that doesn't speak to its quality and replayability, I don't know what will.

Screenshots (Click Here To Hide/Show Text)

user posted image user posted image

Top row: Left, the title screen; right, Wario trying to get some rest.
Second row: Left, the matching game found in every level; right, Wario's alarm clock.
Third row: Left, an early jumping section relying on standing on wardrobes afloat in Wario's flooded castle; right, Wario on fire.
Last row: Left, Wario fighting the giant Spearman, a recurring boss; right, the end of chapter screen.

Ratings:
Graphics: 6.5/10. They're alright for the era, but nothing too special.
Music: 8/10. Each stage's theme fits the stage well, and some are just beautiful- see this arrangement of the song that plays during the stage where you must board the SS Teacup.
Gameplay: 8.5/10. Very fun platforming, familiar to anyone who's played Mario, is augmented with alternate forms in some stages, as well as Wario's signature dash attack. Since dying isn't an issue, you don't need to start over to retry a hard part of a level.
Replayability: 9/10. The multiple endings help a lot with this, as does the hidden stage, but some levels are just fun enough to replay whenever.
Overall: 8.5/10. You would be robbing yourself of many a fun time by not playing this game through at least once, and it's quite cheap to those who have a 3DS or GBC/GBA.

Spoiler

#24 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

@Ryoku good job with yours, if I weren't already familiar with the LoZ series I'd say more XD

@bblues

Hmm, I like unique games and awesome battles systems, but it does sound like it'd be hard to play, because it's on the two systems I have the least convenient access to, and it's rated M as well and meh I don't want to go into why that's a problem...

Anyhow, your suggestion was pretty good and it didn't seem too biased (you did admit that there were flaws etc.), out of what you said this bothered me the most:

and due to the relatively limited methods of quicktravelling,

I'm so for quick-travelling, I don't like having to run in circles, backtrack or the like unless I can skip the part where I pointlessly encounter enemies. Obviously early-game there might be some backtracking but when it's like "go to this city and pick up the item, then go back, and spend 10 minutes doing it on foot", that's so boring for me, and I usually try to multi-task so I don't really have to suffer through it XP.

Still, it sounds interesting enough, I'd totally give it a go if I had more access to the PS3 or Xbox 360 and didn't have so many other games to play.

@Smashed oh man just reading yours is a little difficult, I'm not really too into Wario games... rather, I actually despise Wario, soooo >_>; *sighs*

Well the review was nice

but Wario is still a fat, ugly, unlikeable oaf to me

so I don't think I'll ever play this even though I could potentially do so for free

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#25 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:17 AM

QUOTE (Blazer @ Mar 6 2013, 11:54 PM)
@bblues

Hmm, I like unique games and awesome battles systems, but it does sound like it'd be hard to play, because it's on the two systems I have the least convenient access to, and it's rated M as well and meh I don't want to go into why that's a problem...

Anyhow, your suggestion was pretty good and it didn't seem too biased (you did admit that there were flaws etc.), out of what you said this bothered me the most:

and due to the relatively limited methods of quicktravelling,

I'm so for quick-travelling, I don't like having to run in circles, backtrack or the like unless I can skip the part where I pointlessly encounter enemies. Obviously early-game there might be some backtracking but when it's like "go to this city and pick up the item, then go back, and spend 10 minutes doing it on foot", that's so boring for me, and I usually try to multi-task so I don't really have to suffer through it XP.

Still, it sounds interesting enough, I'd totally give it a go if I had more access to the PS3 or Xbox 360 and didn't have so many other games to play.

Yeah, you'd hate this game then, you are tracking/backtracking/fighting ambushes fairly often, but I find the game fun enough that it's not too much of a problem. Besides, fighting = loot/levels.

As for bias, well, it's my opinion on the game, so it'll always have some bias.

Smashed, I loved WL2 as a kid, so many good memories...

#26 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:56 AM

@bb: I know, right? At one point I dropped my GBC in a puddle. It ended up still working, minus the sound. I remember that I was upset for the specific reason that I wouldn't be able to hear WL2's audio anymore. But yeah, that's really all I ever played. A little bit of Pokemon Gold, but mainly WL2.

@Blazer: Heh, thanks for the compliment on my review, at least. I know what you mean about Wario, btw. I even feel the same, most of the time. I mean, fart attack in Brawl? Ew. Despite that, there's something too endearing about him for me to hate. Probably related to the fact that he was basically my childhood, and they didn't emphasize his negative qualities as much in WL2. Sure, he's fat, and he can turn fatter with the help of a certain enemy. He's absolutely an ugly oaf, too. Even if I like the 'stache. I mean, c'mon. At this point, though, he's basically my childhood hero, so yeah.

Spoiler

#27 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:06 AM

Childhood hero?

*dies*

lol don't mind me I just don't like the guy XP

As for bias, well, it's my opinion on the game, so it'll always have some bias.

naturally, I just mean in that it's not a one-sided review where you only state the positives. reviews have more credibility when they mention the good and the bad, after all

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#28 Whitewolf8

Whitewolf8

The goldfishest memory ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

Oh shoot, I was so distracted today I couldn't get it in. >.<
Well, here it is anyway, it's just copy-pasted from Wikipedia since I didn't have time t write anything up.
Source~ http://en.wikipedia...._Aria_of_Sorrow
---------------------------------------
user posted image

Name: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Release Date: 2003
System: Gameboy Advance
Price: Back when it was first released it was about $40-$60, now it can be found for $21-$257~

Aria of Sorrow is set in the year 2035, where Dracula has long been sealed away from a battle in 1999. His powers are to be passed on to his reincarnation. The plot follows the journey of Soma Cruz, a teenager granted occult power as a result being a potential vessel of Dracula's reincarnation as he battles dark figures who wish to inherit the undead lord's power.

Aria of Sorrow takes many elements from other Castlevania games, including Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, which was in production at the same time as Aria of Sorrow. The game incorporates the combination of elements from platform games and role-playing video games that were initially utilized in the best-selling Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Aria of Sorrow introduces several new features to the series, such as the "Tactical Soul" system and a futuristic storyline, a contrast to the medieval setting of many other Castlevania games. Aria of Sorrow received praise from several video game publications, with many considering it one of the best games in the Castlevania series since Symphony of the Night.

Aria of Sorrow features a 2D side-scrolling style of gameplay where the player controls the onscreen character from a third-person perspective to interact with people, objects, and enemies. Like previous games in the series and most role-playing games, characters level up each time they earn a set number of experience points from defeating enemies; each "level" gained increases the character's statistics, thus improving their performance in battle. Statistic examples include hit points, the amount of damage a character can receive; magic points, which determine the number of times a character can use magical attacks; strength, the power of a character's physical attacks; and intelligence, the power of a character's magical spells. Upon encountering an enemy, the player can use a variety of weapons to attack and defeat the enemy. Despite the game being set in 2035, the available weapons are largely medieval, including swords, axes, and spears; though a handgun is available. These weapons differ in their damage output, the range of the weapon, and the speed of the attack. Items and other accessories can be found by defeating enemies or by purchasing items from the game's shop.

Similar to previous games in the series, Aria of Sorrow is set within Dracula's castle, which is further subdivided into several areas that the player traverses. These areas feature different components, such as different enemies, varying terrain characteristics, and a unique piece of theme music. Similar to most platform games, progression between areas is limited by the abilities the player currently has. While the method in which the player progresses through the game is initially linear, the player's options become more diverse as the number of character abilities increases.

d1e502f831c13190dd34a16b376298af%20-%20C

WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA, HERE'S YOUR COMPLIMENTARY

DIAL-UP INTERNET AND OVERLY-POISONOUS ARACHNID

#29 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Aw man, AoS. Good times. I still need to buy a copy of that.

Spoiler

#30 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

It's alright, I forgot mine, too. >_>;

Nice review, by the way: I'm not a fan of the general plot/atmosphere of Castlevania but the gameplay is decent enough. I probably won't get into it though.

user posted image

Name: Tales of Graces F
Release Date:
JP December 2, 2010
NA March 13, 2012
EU August 31, 2012

Note: Original Wii version (no "F", or future arc) released in Japan in 2009

System(s): PS3

Price Range: Started at ~$60, now probably ~$50

Comments: First, some history: the game "Tales of Graces" was originally released on the Wii in late 2009. Almost a year later, it was re-released for the PS3, this time with additional content and a lot of fixes, and now called "Tales of Graces F". This review is on the latter game, which was FINALLY localized and released about this time last year, March 13th, 2012 (and several months later for Europe).

Like many Tales games, the game focuses on a cast of characters usually around 8 people, give or take a few, with a relatively developed, real-time battle system. This game features 3D graphics all-around and an expansive world with which to explore, as well as some new battle elements, including the ability to have characters switch between two attack styles (A artes and B artes, essentially, where you can think of "artes" as "techniques").

While it would be too difficult to go into-depth about the battle system, I'll pretty much summarize by saying that it is excellent: the graphics, story, and music are all pretty good like normal Tales games, but this one's battle system is really active, rewarding you for dodging the enemies attacks quickly, and granting you a variety of colorful artes, as well as the ability to switch between different style artes. I can't really do it justice through words, so if you're interested, here's a video of somewhat early to mid game of fighting a boss (stop before the battle ends and there won't be any major spoilers) which pretty much shows the colorful chaos of the game--despite what it looks though, once you learn what moves are what and who can do what, the game actually becomes very co-ordinated. (Also keep in mind that the guy who is playing is better than the average player, so he's probably making it look easier than it really is... XD)

Battle system aside, the characters are pretty well-developed, with lots of voice acting as well as plenty of cutscenes. There's a lot of replay value and post-game content, for those who enjoy that, and there's also a few cameos from other games, such as Kohak Hearts from Tales of Hearts, and Veigue Lungberg from Tales of Rebirth I think. The music is by Motoi Sakuraba, so it's generally a hit-or-miss--most people either love his work or aren't too fond of it, but in general you can expect a nice variety, good boss themes, and a consistent style and feeling throughout.

So with that, yes, I suggest this game. It's very fun and generally well-made, with nice but not LoZ-hard dungeons, and awesome battles and a lot to do and plenty of replay value. Overall, just a great experience, IMO. If you like RPG's, I'd definitely suggest this to you, but even if you don't, you might still like it, so if you can afford it/have the ability to play it, give it a chance!

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#31 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Tons of stuff, figure them out yourself.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

Ahh ToGf, great game, I liked the story but the gameplay was what makes it great. The only thing I didn't like was one dungeon that had the typical 3 note music. It's really cool to try different characters after you learn how to use Asbel someone else.

Pro-tip: Block constantly, makes dodging and getting CC, the TP points of this game basically, much easier.
Posted Image
Posted Image
This won't be removed until Chile wins the World Cup - Started 24/06/12
BTW, I take map requests if anyone wants to make one XD, just send me a PM and I'll most likely accept. If you wanna see some of previous work you can visit my gallery here, I'd skip to the end because I've improved alot XD.

#32 flyingace24

flyingace24

#1 Laker Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

Sorry. I'm going to go a bit early. I don't think I will have time tomorrow to post it. Anyway, here goes...

user posted image

Name: Batman Arkham City
Release Date: October 18, 2011; May 29, 2012 (GotY Edition); November 18, 2012 (WiiU)
System(s): Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC, WiiU

Price Range: $23.95, $12.33 (PC), $29.96 (GotY), $35.24 (WiiU) – Prices according to Amazon as of March 10, 2013

Comments: This game is one of my favorite games of all time. This game features one of the most iconic characters in any medium – the Dark Knight. If you are a Batman fan, then this game is a must-buy. Even if you are not, this is a great game even without the big name.
Batman Arkham City is the sequel to Batman Arkham Asylum. It features Batman in his full glory as well as many of his iconic rogue’s gallery (even some of his more obscure and lesser-known villains appear). Many video games based off of superheroes have tanked (Superman 64 comes to mind), but not this one. Batman Arkham City features a good story, great graphics, amazing gameplay, and stays true to its source material.
As a Batman fan and an avid reader of Batman comics, I personally found the story to be above average. It wasn’t mindblowing, but it was pretty damn good. I guess you could say that I’ve been spoiled a lot by reading the comics. However, if you haven’t or don’t read the comics, then I think you would enjoy the storyline the game has to offer. On the other hand, you may also not appreciate the little tidbits and small details added in (which I feel tremendously added to the game). In addition like I said before, this game does a good job sticking to the comic’s source material. You could tell that this game was made by fans of Batman, and this game delivers in all aspects.
As I said previously, perhaps you are not a fan of Batman. No worries there. The gameplay is enough to warrant a buy. This game has one of the most fluid combat systems to date (and is personally the best one I have ever used in a game; just check out a video to see how fluid the combat is). Outside of combat, Batman has many gadgets that he can use to solve riddles from the Riddler, save victims from Zsasz, and play detective in crimes from Hush and Deadshot. The game makes you feel like you really are Batman. It displays Batman’s martial arts mastery as well as his “world’s greatest detective” skills. You can choose to bash in the heads of a group of twenty thugs, or you can hide in the shadows and stealthily take them all out one by one. In addition, you can also play as Catwoman, Robin, and Nightwing. They are not simple reskins. All of them have their unique moves and style and give players a good change of pace in the game. Finally, there are TONS of things to do, ranging from solving all of the Riddler’s riddles, solving detective crimes, stopping a serial killer, end citizen assaults, and much more. Then once you are done with all of that, there are Challenge Medals that are available outside of the main game. Hours and hours will be poured into getting 100% in this game.
That is not necessarily a bad thing. The game is very polished. In today’s gaming scene where developers can easily send out a buggy product and just fix it with a patch, Batman Arkham City can easily be played from start to finish with no problems at all. Much thought and dedication was put into this game, and it shows in its quality. Regardless of what you may think of Batman, there is no denying just how great this game is.

Personal Rating? I'd give this a 15/5. Yep.

#33 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

Might and Magic 7: For Blood and Honor
user posted image
Platform:
PC
Pricing:
$5.99
The Game:
Okay, let's start off. Is this going to be some nostalgia-fest? Maybe. I can't promise you the world here. So let's start with the negatives.

M&M7 was released in 1999, and the game hasn't gotten any prettier, although it's decent compared to the older games in the series, and obviously, remembering that this game is approaching 15 soon. Are there recolurs of enemies? Yes, but if that bugs you, you can shove half the world's RPGs into the 'bugs me' list. There's not a huge range of voice acting either, for that matter, and the soundtrack is not huge, so there's a fair amount of repetition, and the larger dungeons quickly fall into silence once a track ends. Finally, if you know some glitches/tricks, the game becomes very easy. But why would you do that?

Anyways, on to the good. And this game delivered it to me in buckets. Firstly, you start by picking your group of four to adventure with. There's a fair amount of choice as far as classes go, all of them varied and with different limitations, specialties, and the like. Race is an option, affecting your stats, which can also be adjusted slightly at the start. Following that, you're off!.

To the 'tutorial island', that is. As the story goes, you are on a 'treasure hunt', with the prize being the new lords/owners of a castle and area in the mainland of the game. This area is...I say 'tutorial' because it's quite easy to wind up getting done in at parts if you have no clue as to how to play. Regardless, once you have won the castle, you're teleported to the mainland, to find you've been given a bit of a dud castle. Cleaning time ensues, and you're promptly sent out into the big wide world.

Is there a main plot still, I hear you ask? Why yes, there is, and it is important to follow it to a certain point, when you have to make a good/bad route split, and a further quest that allows you to use a certain magic group for the differing route. However, one of the best parts of the game is down to the openness of the world. You can just go exploring almost wherever you want to, provided you can survive what's waiting for you. And people have quests, lots of quests, which vary from promotion quests, allowing you to better master your skills, to your monster hunts and fetch quests.

As far as combat goes, it's a great system for the game. You're constantly in first person, and normally, as you move around, enemies will spot you and attack in real time. However, pressing enter will switch the game to a turn based system, allowing for a switch up in strategy, or just provide a different way of battling. Both systems provide advantages against certain enemies (killing a dragon on the tutorial island with real time, or shrapmetal on a behemoth standing next to you on wait are good examples of both). Death is never the end, either. You respawn outside your castle, missing gold, and most likely some broken armour.

Skills are a major part of the game, and one of the areas that definitely adds replayability to the title. You start off with four skills, two mandatory for each class, and you can learn more, for a price, and they vary in effect and use. Swords cannot be wielded unless one has the sword skill, whilst the perception skill is passive and is constantly at work, highlighting secret passages and traps, more depending on the level. The skills come in tiers, with extra benefits for moving up a tier, which involves going to a tutor, and paying, although each class has a different limit to how far they can master a skill (only druids can grandmaster alchemy, for example). Skill points are earned through levelling up, which is done through, you guessed it, killing things and quests.

Items are varied, being sold in shops, dropped by enemies, found in chests...everywhere. You only have a limited inventory space for each character, so be careful with what you pick up! Weapons, armour and accessories can be enchanted, or some can be found already enchanted, with some legendary items, listed as relics and artifacts, can be found in dungeons, or with stronger enemies. You're probably going to find a lot of time trying to optimise yourself when you find a new weapon or armour, which is always fun.

Finally, there are extras in the game, of a sort. You can find a card deck, which allows for a fun minigame of arcomage, which also doubles as a sidequest. There is a fairly large amount of in-game info and history to be read, which details more about the world, or your past actions. There IS a score, depending on the speed of completion and the usual factors, along with how many in-game days/years have passed. There is also a real 'x marks the spot' treasure hunt, which takes form in the large obelisks spread around the game.

To summarise, MM7 is a game I hugely enjoyed playing, regardless of its age. The adventuring was fantastic, and the replayabilty is top notch, with differing routes, classes, skill sets, and even the luck you get with weapons all making the game worth a punt. As far as RPGs go, this is a gem (at least in my opinion), and you can put hours into this game without trying. A solid buy, especially for the price.

#34 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:40 AM

@Snow yeah I feel ya XD I prefer using the more active characters though as opposed to slower-attacking characters/spellcasters, meaning Asbel, Hubert, Richard, and maybe Sophie XD Cheria is kind of fun to use too but Pascal and Malik attack too slowly for me ._.

@Ace that's fine; 15/5? oh man. I haven't read the comics, so I wouldn't be spoiled, and I also haven't played any batman games... (unless I did as a kid and forgot or something)

I suppose if I get a WiiU, I know one more game I'm buying tongue.gif

@bblues

LOL starting with the negatives XD

Seems like another good suggestion, though I typically am not into picking units of different races and stuff. I dunno, I just like to stick to humans >_>;

You're probably going to find a lot of time trying to optimise yourself when you find a new weapon or armour, which is always fun.

I dunno, for me this isn't always the most fun part. It can be to some extent but when it becomes a chore or when I have simply too many items, it's just not enjoyable. I don't like having to constantly go into menus and compare stats and see what can be more useful here or there... it becomes a silly little game to me. One reason FE is good for me is because I can just carry a few weapons around and whichever weapon is best at the moment, I can use, and all I have to do to choose that weapon if it's not currently equipped is press a few buttons or something. When weapons start to have various complex skills and boosts and stuff, it just makes it worse for me because it makes it harder to understand and keep up with, and it becomes a game of reading and crap... I'd rather focus on the actual battles, adventure, story, or whatever.

Just a little insight on my personal gaming preferences XD

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#35 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:28 AM

I'm curious, since you're familiar with the Might and Magic series, if you play the strategy part of the franchise, Heroes of Might and Magic.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#36 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE (Blazer @ Mar 11 2013, 04:40 AM)
You're probably going to find a lot of time trying to optimise yourself when you find a new weapon or armour, which is always fun.

I dunno, for me this isn't always the most fun part. It can be to some extent but when it becomes a chore or when I have simply too many items, it's just not enjoyable. I don't like having to constantly go into menus and compare stats and see what can be more useful here or there... it becomes a silly little game to me. One reason FE is good for me is because I can just carry a few weapons around and whichever weapon is best at the moment, I can use, and all I have to do to choose that weapon if it's not currently equipped is press a few buttons or something. When weapons start to have various complex skills and boosts and stuff, it just makes it worse for me because it makes it harder to understand and keep up with, and it becomes a game of reading and crap... I'd rather focus on the actual battles, adventure, story, or whatever.

You find a hell of a lot of weapons/armour throughout the game, and the enchantments are all kinds of varied, so you need to adjust for the situation sometimes. Switching equipment itself is fairly quick, even in combat.

QUOTE (kirant @ Mar 11 2013, 05:28 AM)
I'm curious, since you're familiar with the Might and Magic series, if you play the strategy part of the franchise, Heroes of Might and Magic.

I know of the series, but I haven't played on any of them yet. They've gone from being the spinoff to the main (and only) part of the series left.

#37 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

user posted image

Name: Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Release Date: Around 2005 or something
System(s): DS

Price Range: ~$30 Used, more expensive for new of course

Comments: I don't think I need to do much introduction for Mario & Luigi--they're pretty well known, to say the least.

Well, in Mario & Luigi Partners in Time, you not only control the great pair of Mario & Luigi, but the great pair of Baby Mario and Baby Luigi as well. The game has a simple but enjoyable plot revolving around time travel and lets you control the adults, the kids, and both (i.e. the kids ride the adults backs). You can expect typical Mario graphics and Mario-themed enemies and dungeons, though this is more of an RPG than the typical platformer. In Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, when you fight enemies, it's all about the team work and timing, and that's what makes the gameplay in this game so much fun.

To start, you get to play as both Mario and Luigi at once, and dodging attacks can come to a split-second decision between seeing who is getting attacked and what kind of attack is it. The enemies are often variable in their attack, making it often hard to predict perfectly, but while still giving subtle hints as to what to expect. The difficulty is about as balanced as it gets--it's not super hard, but it's no cakewalk, either, so learning how to time your attacks and dodges is important.

On the note of attacks, one of the great features of this game is the various items used to attack the enemy. The items are weapons that reward you greater the better you are at using them, which spurs you on to keep using them and master the art of team attacks. For instance, in the screenshot below, the M&L pairs take turns jumping on the spring to attack the enemy from above--but you have to press the right button (A, B, X, Y) at the exact moment you're ready to pounce on the enemy, or you'll end up falling and doing minimal damage, and it'll also end the item usage earlier.

user posted image

There are a lot of similar items such as green shells, fire flowers, and more, and being able to keep up with the fast-paced fights and returning any damage you might take with your own items can be a necessity at times. The graphics are simple, well-animated, and likeable, and the sounds and music are also great--it actually has some freaking amazing music, whether it's catchy, atmospheric, or just pure epic (hi final boss theme).

I suggest this game because it's a turn for the awesome from the normal Mario game and is one of those well-made gems that well... look at the price, it's $30 for a freaking DS game from 2005. It's got good length, plenty to do, and... eh, replayablity is one thing I cannot speak for, sadly, as I haven't really tried to replay it, but I suppose we'll have to assume it's a flaw if I can't really testify otherwise XD (and I can't really think of any other flaws in general besides the fact that the plot is lacking and whatnot, but like, it's a Mario game, if you're looking for an epic plot, I think you might be the flaw tongue.gif).

And that's that.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#38 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

It looks a little like a Paper Mario game, am I right?

Side note: Echo, if you don't post your MGS4 one, I'm going to do something instead.

#39 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:02 AM

user posted image

Name: Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares
Release Date: 1996
System(s): PC
Price Range: The first two Master of Orion games are available on Good Old Games for 10 dollars.

Comments: Did you ever wonder where the term 4x game came from? For the uninitiated, it means "EXplore, EXpand, EXploit, EXterminate". It's a popular formula used by many strategy games. Civilization and Sins of a Solar Empire are considered mainstream 4x games. Why that aside though? Master of Orion is considered the name for this. It was from a review of the first Master of Orion which coined the term and made it famous. Long past its peak date, Master of Orion (MoO) was considered one of the highest quality examples of this set up, often being the measuring stick for modern 4x space games. And I'd argue today that MoO II is still the best of them all.

The set up is very similar to Civilization: you're at the dawn of a new era. As a head of a species, you have just developed faster than light travel and are ready to explore the galaxy. Along the way, you'll find out you're not alone in the universe. Of course, you want to win and conquer it all for yourself. Like all 4x games, you try to build, deceive, ally, and fight your way as you engage in an arms race against your opponent and try to wipe them off the map. But it's not just them you have to worry about. An, dare I call it, ancient evil lurks as well. Unbeknownst to you, you and your fellow players weren't the first people to grace the area. Orions and Antarans used to run rampant and had once engaged in a feud that eventually resulted in mutual destruction. The Orions were wiped out, but sent the aggressors to another dimension. Their namesake planet, Orion, still exists. It's long lost secrets are protected by a Guardian, who's tasked with preventing another war. Oh, and by the way, the Antarans are slowly leaking out of their dimension again. And they aren't exactly happy. But all the above can be meaningless to you if you want. There's no need to visit Orion (though, it's a huge benefit to claim it as it does give you pretty technology as well as bragging rights to the other species) and you can remove the Antarans from the game. And if you don't like any race, you can go and customize your own!

The upsides are in so many other areas. As a strategy game, it's close to bar none. Simple controls, freedom, and near endless replayability. I admit, there's a massive favouritism to research over beating people early. That's a strategic flaw (as there are also some game-breaker designs). Everything's absolutely intuitive in this game and never bogs down the design. I honestly can't remember such elegant designs in this regard. And building on that, you can build your own war ships. I'm pretty sure nobody else has played Space Empires, but imagine something like that. You can outfit, customize, name, and arm your ships. You want heavy weaponry? Go ahead. You want it to be nimble and evasive? That too! On top of that, you can pick the weapon's firing arcs so you can blitz past them and fire as they're turning around. Heck, you want to cut costs by removing all shielding from it? It's all easy to accommodate. You even get to control your men in combat. Not only is it a matter of building, but you can then play them out yourselves.

Furthering the line of "flexibility" in this game, your tech tree is branching. Not as in "A -> B,C and B -> D,E", but as in "Pick one of A, B, C. Kiss goodbye to the other two". In short, every time you research, you lose options. But each choice has no bearing on your future options, just what you see now. Every game becomes a tough decision...every game plays out different based on the choices you actively make. There are rarely right and wrong decisions...everything has a value and a niche in which you can use it. It's a major implication in your strategy, as these also become products for trade too.

Finally, there are rarely chokepoints in this game. Face it, if we ever get in an interstellar war, unless your supply line is way out in the open, there won't be anything like that. It's quite a unique experience, especially compared to holding back units in Civilization with a wall of tanks from coast to coast.

Flavour wise, it's beautiful. The game plays out like a civilization scale space opera. It plays out a story that gives you as much out as you do put in. The music is simple, but lovely. They express effectively what you're at. The emptiness of space in your main screens, and then the urgency of combat once you engage. The files are pretty simple (low memory MP3s if memory serves), but they convey brilliantly what is needed. It's very much a case of not needing a lot to get what you need done.

The AI is pretty dull and abuse ready, but then you can really have some fun when you play with friends. Like 4 in a room and you can go for hours. The legacy of the game really grabs hold when you realize you can write your OWN universes here. Just set up a personal hotseat game, make multiple empires, and play them yourself. It's been a decade at least since I found this game and I still write stories through it. I could spend entire weekends sitting down, and creating worlds, weaving stories of betrayal, adventure, and hope in this game.

I could go on, but it's something that you really need to play yourself to really get a feel for. It's cheap, so give it a whirl. Graphics are surprisingly good for its era (but are still outdated by today's standards) and modding packages are available online so you can customize the "heroes" in the game (nothing screams fun like letting your two favourite protagonists duke it out on the battlefield). The versatility of the engine it runs gives it amazing longevity, be it your race, your ships, your strategy, or even just the options in the game. Consider that in 2006, the game has still been written as "A classic" of the genre and noting that games comparable to it "may not get the recognition that Civilization IV gets, but will likely be on your hard drive longer", and I think you'll begin to understand exactly what type of calibre game we're discussing.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#40 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

@bblues yeah I think so not that I've played Paper Mario lol

@kirant cool suggestion, I'm not one for games that are super old or with weird alien races so I don't think I'd play it but it sounds like a solid game and something that I WOULD play if I were into these kinds of games. no one beats Ace's emphatic suggestion where he gave a 15/5, I was convinced so quickly and I've never even played a Batman game or anything like it

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users