Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Possible upcoming FE8 hack

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Interests:dingleberries

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:28 PM

Ok, time for me to quit messin' around with my so-called "hacks." All I ever do is just mess with stuff in nightmare and tweak a few weapon icons. I want to do a full fledged hack already!

I'm making this thread because, well, I'll need some help. And by help I mean advice. I wouldn't want anyone to take the time to do anything for me, unless absolutely necessary.

I plan on using FE8 as the platform, because there's no forced tutorial, and I just like it in general. I've played a few good Sacred Stones hacks before, so it definitely looks doable.

EDIT: Also, and this just occured to me, but FE8 is perfect for this hack, because I was already planning on adding two twin characters of mine, and Eirika and Ephraim are twins, so there's my two main characters besides Caitlyn~ Not to mention the twins have two preferred weapons each.

Now, to get to the nitty-gritty here.

Things I am comfortable with:
Nightmare (the original, I can't figure out 2.0)
Weapon Icon editing
Simple text editing (changing weapon/item names)

Things I have no experience with:
Portrait editing (not to mention making customs from scratch)
Event editing
Map editing
Palette editing
Mass text editing (story, conversations)
ROM expansion (I don't think I'll need to but you never know?)
Map sprite editing
Battle animation/map sprite importing

I include that last one because I want to import Lyn's Blade Lord animation. I already have concept art drawn of two characters (below) and I drew one in Lyn's outfit. I've decided she'll be a bit like Lucina; she's emulating a legendary warrior of lore.

One thing I want to add in, is the addition of more "preferred" weapons, that is, weapons locked to one person. The story I have in mind will re-use a concept from Genealogy of the Holy War; characters will have holy blood, and will be the chosen wielders of weapons such as Mystletainn and Tyrfing. I want to implement all of the weapons from Holy War, but have them locked to their chosen wielders only, so that they are usable without having an S rank in a weapon. If it's not doable to make that many preferred weapons, I'll settle on making the 8 sacred twins locked, if THAT is even possible.

EDIT: Also I'd like to use the Aircalibur animation for an Elwind spell. Is there a way to fix the bgm bug that comes with it? Also, can you recolor pre-existing animations? I'm thinking of using Fenrir's animation for Falaflame, but for it to make sense, I'd need to change it from purple to red.

I can already foresee that this will be a slow process, since I'm bogged down with school, but this urge to make my own hack has been gnawing at me for awhile now.

Before you say this Blazer, yes, I know you have an "ultimate tutorial" published around here somewhere. I've referenced it before when doing weapon icon editing. But, I know that tutorial is somewhat old by now, and I'd still like any available advice that may not be covered by that tutorial.

If all goes well, I can post a teaser patch of the prologue chapter for critique in a few weeks.

Concept art of characters
Caitlyn (the main hero) http://fav.me/d8258c5
Miiro (the Jeigan) http://fav.me/d82bfb0

Update 1
Layed down basic framework (Appropriate weapons editing in nightmare)
Started redoing weapon icons (See below)

user posted image
user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users