Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Awakening #1 in top 5 games of 2013!

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Bobryk

Bobryk

;/

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Interests:Brunettes<br>Being awesome<br>Meat products

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

Recent LA Times article picked the top 5 games of 2013 (so far) that "take the genre to new levels" and Awakening was #1! Here's the article: http://herocomplex.l...-to-new-levels/

This could probably go in the Awakening forum but FE General could use some lovin'.

Pretty sweet if you ask me.
user posted image

#2 boney

boney

noob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

fe13 really shook up rpgs with its dlc

#3 Rujio

Rujio

I eat Axel

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:32 AM

It's amazing to me how much praise FE13 gets for its characters and pairings when it has, IMO, the worst cast of any FE game made at least since FE6 (don't remember htat game well) and maybe even since the NES era. (I'm counting the boring FE11 guys as NES content since that's when the content was made). The characters are really just caricatures, and I literally (not being hyperbolic or using that word purely for emphasis. I'm using literal's literal meaning) do not care one inkling about any pairings in this game for non-gameplay reasons. I've never been one for shipping wars, but I usually develop some level of "I do/don't like that pairing" in FE games. Here I just really didn't :/
?????????
???????
There, katakana. Happy?
Bobryk -- holy crap I look away for two seconds and I have knots all up in my shit

#4 Bobryk

Bobryk

;/

• Veterans
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:08 AM

Cripes, people. Isn't it nice to see that Fire Emblem is finally getting the recognition it deserves? Getting mentioned in LA Times is kind of a big deal, you know.

Bash Awakening all you damn well please-- it saved the series and did a good job doing it.

Sheesh >.>

Edit: While I don't agree with it having subpar cast I definitely understand the criticism.
user posted image

#5 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:32 AM

QUOTE (Bobryk @ Jul 29 2013, 11:08 PM)
Bash Awakening all you damn well please-- it saved the series and did a good job doing it.

Having stolen any possible plans of reviving the AW franchise, I get to bash it as much as I damn well please biggrin.gif

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#6 boney

boney

noob

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:43 AM

QUOTE (Bobryk @ Jul 30 2013, 01:08 AM)
Cripes, people. Isn't it nice to see that Fire Emblem is finally getting the recognition it deserves? Getting mentioned in LA Times is kind of a big deal, you know.

as a fan of the series, it only makes that the "fe13 is the shining star of the series that makes all past games obsolete" idea is rather annoying.

#7 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

Wow, this is a great find, thanks for sharing.

Also, try to keep the hatred limited, we're the damn Fire Emblem fanbase, leave the hating to people who don't like Fire Emblem, or at least limit it to legitimate critique because you like the series and know it could do better lol. There's just way too much hatred going on especially from people who haven't played the game *cough Boney*.

it only makes that the "fe13 is the shining star of the series that makes all past games obsolete" idea is rather annoying.

I mean, who the hell says this anyway? Aren't we still HACKING GAMES LIKE, 10-12 YEARS OLD?!

But seriously it's one thing to think the game is overrated, has flaws, and discuss them, and another to go around constantly demoting its well-deserved praise on a Fire Emblem-loving forum lol.

Someone's a debbie downer. I mean I disagree with pretty much everything you said but that's definitely not this thing's purpose XD

No idea who you're responding to but I'm kinda getting more of these vibes than I'd like XP

At least Rujio's telling his honest well-informed opinion that I can respect (even though I personally do understand where the love for it comes from but also don't really give a crap about who marries who)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#8 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • 1,274 posts
  • Interests:Games and such. Anime and other stuff.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE (Blazer @ Jul 30 2013, 01:13 AM)
Someone's a debbie downer. I mean I disagree with pretty much everything you said but that's definitely not this thing's purpose XD

No idea who you're responding to but I'm kinda getting more of these vibes than I'd like XP

He was responding to me but I deleted my post because I didn't want more people to read it.

Posted Image

Posted Image         Posted Image

#9 Bobryk

Bobryk

;/

• Veterans
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (ShadowCero @ Jul 30 2013, 02:35 AM)
QUOTE (Blazer @ Jul 30 2013, 01:13 AM)

He was responding to me but I deleted my post because I didn't want more people to read it.

LOL wish I knew that earlier XD. I probably looked like a huge tool

@Kirant I think I read somewhere that IS never wants to cancel any of its series...so you never know! We may get another Advance Wars yet! Hopefully one where you can marry off your tanks
user posted image

#10 boney

boney

noob

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (Blazer @ Jul 30 2013, 02:13 AM)
There's just way too much hatred going on especially from people who haven't played the game *cough Boney*.

hey, i've been toning it down, but this does really bother me for multiple reasons. "haven't played the game"...i also haven't played anubis II? superman 64, sonic the hedgehog(2006), hydlide...

anyway, my biased opinion: game looks bad, sounds bad...visuals are self-explanatory. i also HATE how blatantly generic anime it looks when the past games always kept it borderline. the soundtrack is such a moneybags-ego-fest that they might as well be playing some rap song that ryoku's linked in chat.
DLC...no. i will admit that some of the character redesigns are VERY nice, but they need to stop referencing the past games characters for the sake of nostalgia. you make a new game with a new cast, either put them in a new continent(if FE13 didn't, i don't know this), or find a good way to tie the new cast into the past story like FE10 sorta did. don't force old characters from various continents in with DLC.

what is this game praised for, anyway? well, there's...the visuals and soundtrack...? ...world, why...>_<
what else do people like about this game...there's pairing and children. don't like it? too bad, you're screwed out of characters. *wealthy laugh*
skills...wait, didn't the console FEs past the NES also have ski--oh right. this one has PAIRING
i think this game has a good post-game, which is a good deviation from the mediocre story(an opinion i find an awful lot). but anyway it's there. they would have been stupid not to have it at this point(DLC!!)
because the 3ds machine has streetpass capabilities, this is the best fe game in the series. i'm still bitter about aversa; thanks for asking.
if this is the best fe game in the series, why do i see people reporting that the maps are unmemorable and go on to compare them to past games? to cut your initial thought short, yes i have seen FE13's maps. the internet is a thing.
here's a BIG one: people like the game's characters, but there have been an alarmingly high number of people reporting the same exact thing as Rujio. the only example i do actually have is "a knight in big armor who is constantly unnoticed by his peers". people keep saying over and over that FE13's characters establish a basic trope for their characters, and then overplay it too much to actually develop and flesh these characters out.
voice acting. ladies love dat voice acting.
what else is there, anyway? ...reclassing? a good mechanic to have, but i guess the moneybags team with a full orchestra in their backyard and multiple artists working for them couldn't be bothered to add alternate portraits.

...so what do you say, blazer? why do you think this game is so superior?

it only makes that the "fe13 is the shining star of the series that makes all past games obsolete" idea is rather annoying.

I mean, who the hell says this anyway? Aren't we still HACKING GAMES LIKE, 10-12 YEARS OLD?!

WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOG--we have the tools and documentation. i think if FE13 had a PC release, a lot of people would just move onto it. but even then, that's because it's advanced, not because of the game's actual quality. if sonic 2006 got a pc release, people would've chose to hack it instead of Sonic Adventure.
we actually have tools for it.

#11 Rujio

Rujio

I eat Axel

• Veterans
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (Bobryk @ Jul 29 2013, 11:08 PM)

The thing is that I don't think the series really deserves the recognition now. The series was potentially going to be cancelled because the Tellius saga had bad sales (which is a shame, as they're the best games IS made without Kaga, IMO) and then the DS titles were both underwhelming, particularly SD. IS then pulled out all the stops to make FE13 sell, but not necessarily to make it good. The series deserved recognition six, ten, fifteen years ago. I don't think it does now. But this is when the series is getting it, and I'm worried that IS is going to keep making Awakening-esque games because of that, and if they do I'll probably just jump ship. I don't want to be one of those bitter fans complaining about how the old days were so much better, but I could very well end up there.
?????????
???????
There, katakana. Happy?
Bobryk -- holy crap I look away for two seconds and I have knots all up in my shit

#12 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

@Boney-

they need to stop referencing the past games characters for the sake of nostalgia. you make a new game with a new cast, either put them in a new continent(if FE13 didn't, i don't know this), or find a good way to tie the new cast into the past story like FE10 sorta did. don't force old characters from various continents in with DLC.

FE13 takes place in the same continent as the original FE, just waaaaaaay in the future. I believe it also has some sort of tie-in to another older FE, but I'm not sure about this. However, for the reason that old characters were brought back, a friend and I were discussing this, and we came up with that it may be because this was going to be the last Fire Emblem game if the sales were bad. If that ended up happening, I see it as a sort of last hurrah where people could get their old favorite characters together in the same game for the first time in series history. That also explains why there were so many fan favorites available from the Bonus Box teams- don't tell me Oliver was put into the Extras category with the other villains because he's a competent one.

i'm still bitter about aversa; thanks for asking.

What?

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

#13 Shu

Shu

Sealord

• GFX Artist
  • 1,450 posts
  • Interests:Pimpin'

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

Wow, this thread turned shitty awfully quick for something that's pretty great.

I thought FE13's plot and cast left a lot to be desired, but I'm not going to teeter on the edge of a ship that is by no means sinking when the series still has shit to offer. Gameplay-wise, I thought the game was damn good.

I'll grant you that I'm not going to be thrilled if the next couple games in the series underwhelm me in the story department, but I'm not about to start complaining about the fourteenth installment in the year 2013.
user posted image
Gallery

I will not remove this until the Vikings win the Super Bowl - Started 1/28/11

"i had to google bukkake."
-Boney

#14 boney

boney

noob

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE (SmashedFish @ Jul 30 2013, 01:48 PM)

i'm still bitter about aversa; thanks for asking.

What?

actually hearing people's mixed thoughts on FE13 actually gave me a little bit of interest in experiencing it myself someday, but the the way that you have you unlock unlock aversa is still BS beyond belief.

#15 arimibn

arimibn

The Darkslayer

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • Location:My body lies in Georgia...but my mind lives in Arthias.
  • Interests:I like Fire Emblem...Er...Legend Of Zelda...RPG's are a fav...er...Hmm...Just ask me if I like stuff!

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

*reads first post*

This is amazing. Lol I was excited enough to find out that Awakening sold out before it even was released. But this? Oh man. The FE series is makin a comeback. Marth for SSB4.

*reads the comments on this topic*

I don't get why you guys hate Awakening so much. The game wasn't the best in the series, no. But you guys are acting like it's the worst game ever created or something. .-. Seriously guys. Is it THAT bad that they used gimmicks to help sell the game?

QUOTE (boney @ Jul 30 2013, 12:17 PM)
WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOG--we have the tools and documentation. i think if FE13 had a PC release, a lot of people would just move onto it. but even then, that's because it's advanced, not because of the game's actual quality. if sonic 2006 got a pc release, people would've chose to hack it instead of Sonic Adventure.

We have the tools to hack FE8. People still hack FE7. We have the tools to hack the DS games for crying out loud. And guess what, the majority of us are still hacking the GBA games.
There are tools to hack PS3 games. And what do ya know? People are still hacking GBA games.

what else is there, anyway? ...reclassing? a good mechanic to have, but i guess the moneybags team with a full orchestra in their backyard and multiple artists working for them couldn't be bothered to add alternate portraits.

Yes, because all the other fire emblem games had alternate portraits for when the units changed classes. If someone can give me an example BESIDES Tellius, then we'll talk.

DLC...no. i will admit that some of the character redesigns are VERY nice, but they need to stop referencing the past games characters for the sake of nostalgia.

Erm...why? You make it seem like that's the main game. I for one LOVE the fact that I can have Ike, Roy, and Marth on my team. And you can get pretty much the same units from spotpass.

I for one thought Awakening was an amazing game. I haven't had that much fun playing an FE game since well, Radiant Dawn. And I've played through Radiant Dawn 20+ times. Lol And that was before I even knew how to hack the game. And yeah. Streetpass + Custom Characters = Winning formula for me. I mean dude. I can literally have any team I want. The amount of customization this game allows for is amazing. The chances of two people having the exact same teams are VERY low. Simply because of the vast amount of ways you can customize everything to begin with. I mean dude. My Streetpass team consists of members of the forum. And that was already in the game with no hacking whatsoever required. THAT IS AWESOME. And come ON guys. HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE THE VAIKE?!?!!

P.S. I'm not going to try arguing with Rujio. He'll destroy my brain or something with his mind powers. XD
"You'll never forgive me? Like I give a damn."
"You got a jacked up notion of fair play pal...and it's beginning to piss me off."
"Though a fight every now and again does make life a little more interesting...dontcha think?"
Posted Image
^ This isn't dead, I swear!
Most of my closest friends have qualities that I despise. But I love them all regardless of their faults.
"Why are we trying to narrow God's mercy? I didn't realize there was a limit to how many people could go to heaven."

This will not be removed until I finish my Sprite Series. Arim and AJ VS The World Started December 19, 2013 (I actually still haven't given up on this! XD)

This will not be removed until The Demon Invasion is finished. Started December 19, 2013 (Hue)

3DS Friend Code 0834 - 1057 - 3616

#16 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

QUOTE (arimibn @ Jul 30 2013, 11:29 PM)
I don't get why you guys hate Awakening so much. The game wasn't the best in the series, no. But you guys are acting like it's the worst game ever created or something. .-. Seriously guys. Is it THAT bad that they used gimmicks to help sell the game?

A lot of it is hype backlash. There are two main crowds I see in the "I don't like this game":
- The one which doesn't like it because it isn't really like the older FE games...that we are straying so far to keep the franchise alive that it really isn't FE. A bit of the Ship of Theseus question: how far can we go from the original series before saying it's not really like it anymore? Fallout had a similar shattering when Fallout 3 revived their series. Some of the old isometric fans were livid that their black comedy was made a depressing world, while some were just happy for more Fallout, even if it isn't the same. A lot of that is transferred over here.
- The fans who just don't like FE without strategy. FE Awakening is either infuriatingly annoying (enemy turn moves) or stupid easy. I probably would have been happy if the game gave me warning before nightmarish Falcoknights came and murderstomped my medics.

My personal opinion is that it's a good, but flawed, game. Some questionable decisions were made in character design scope, in characters themselves, the strategy, and the overall direction they felt they needed to take. Don't get me wrong: more Fire Emblem is more Fire Emblem and I'll gobble it like candy. I gave it a fairly solid rating (8.0 on a 5 is average scale, probably one of the better new games, being on par with FTL and Scribblenauts Unlimited, but also losing out to Virtue's Last Reward and Kerbal Space Program).

RedBlue.png

#17 boney

boney

noob

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

arim, pls. are you even trying?

QUOTE (arimibn @ Jul 31 2013, 01:29 AM)
But you guys are acting like it's the worst game ever created or something.

no.

We have the tools to hack FE8. People still hack FE7. We have the tools to hack the DS games for crying out loud. And guess what, the majority of us are still hacking the GBA games. There are tools to hack PS3 games. And what do ya know? People are still hacking GBA games.

this is not a black and white matter and you know it. people have a MUCH easier time hacking FE7. there's more documentation for it.

Yes, because all the other fire emblem games had alternate portraits for when the units changed classes. If someone can give me an example BESIDES Tellius, then we'll talk.

how is "they (sorta) haven't done this before!!" a valid argument...?

Erm...why? You make it seem like that's the main game. I for one LOVE the fact that I can have Ike, Roy, and Marth on my team.

referencing the past games characters for the sake of nostalgia.

And yeah. Streetpass + Custom Characters = Winning formula for me. I mean dude. I can literally have any team I want. The amount of customization this game allows for is amazing. The chances of two people having the exact same teams are VERY low. Simply because of the vast amount of ways you can customize everything to begin with. I mean dude.

because the 3ds machine has streetpass capabilities, this is the best fe game in the series. i'm still bitter about aversa; thanks for asking.

that first sentence was sarcasm.

arim, what are you arguing, anyway? we're not nitpicking fe13 just to make up excuses to say "this is the worst game ever". we're giving reasons as to why this of all games in the series didn't deserve to be placed on a shiny pedestal above all of the other entries. if you don't think this game was the best in the series either, then what's your point?

#18 Bobryk

Bobryk

;/

• Veterans
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

I mean the point of this thread was to share that FE is finally getting some recognition. Who cares what game in the series it's for? We're all Fire Emblem fans, so we should be proud that our niche/cult audience series is getting some love in the mainstream gaming world. The love it so dearly needs and deserves. Now that this one is so well known, maybe the ones you personally find better will get recognition, too.

Kind of pathetic that this thread blew so out of proportion, honestly.
user posted image

#19 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (Bobryk @ Jul 31 2013, 06:09 AM)
I mean the point of this thread was to share that FE is finally getting some recognition. Who cares what game in the series it's for? We're all Fire Emblem fans, so  we should be proud that our niche/cult audience series is getting some love in the mainstream gaming world. The love it so dearly needs and deserves. Now that this one is so well known, maybe the ones you personally find better will get recognition, too.

Kind of pathetic that this thread blew so out of proportion, honestly.

Again, it's the Fallout problem. Both had medium success before having a game the general public loves, but isn't exactly the same as the rest of the series. Having disagreement in such things is natural I find.

Not sure I'd call FE or Fallout a cult game before their big hit though.

RedBlue.png

#20 arimibn

arimibn

The Darkslayer

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • Location:My body lies in Georgia...but my mind lives in Arthias.
  • Interests:I like Fire Emblem...Er...Legend Of Zelda...RPG's are a fav...er...Hmm...Just ask me if I like stuff!

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (boney @ Jul 31 2013, 02:24 AM)
arim, pls. are you even trying?

Of course not. Lol We're just having a friendly discussion. Err...Well at least I think we are. XD

But you guys are acting like it's the worst game ever created or something.

no.

Acting like =/= saying it is.

we're giving reasons as to why this of all games in the series didn't deserve to be placed on a shiny pedestal above all of the other entries. if you don't think this game was the best in the series either, then what's your point?

Erm...Did you not read the article Boney? Awakening was recognized as the top game of 2013. How does that in any way say this is the best game of the series? The other games didn't come out in 2013.

how is "they (sorta) haven't done this before!!" a valid argument...?

My point is that even in Tellius, they only gave the main characters multiple portraits. Soooo...saying they didn't give them multiple portraits is kinda a moot point. I mean dude. If they gave characters multiple portraits for each class change, each unit would have at least 10 portraits. It wasn't in any other series besides Tellius. And it's not like Tellius is the newest in the series before Awakening.

this is not a black and white matter and you know it. people have a MUCH easier time hacking FE7. there's more documentation for it.

i think if FE13 had a PC release, a lot of people would just move onto it. but even then, that's because it's advanced, not because of the game's actual quality. if sonic 2006 got a pc release, people would've chose to hack it instead of Sonic Adventure.
we actually have tools for it.

Weren't you the one saying that they only hack the older games because they have the tools for it? You also said that if they had the tools to hack newer software, no one would hack the GBA games. So why are people hacking PS3 and DS games with ease? Well? The tools are available to hack newer software, yet people are still hacking older games. I wonder why that is if everyone would hack the newer software if given the tools that are already in existence.

"You'll never forgive me? Like I give a damn."
"You got a jacked up notion of fair play pal...and it's beginning to piss me off."
"Though a fight every now and again does make life a little more interesting...dontcha think?"
Posted Image
^ This isn't dead, I swear!
Most of my closest friends have qualities that I despise. But I love them all regardless of their faults.
"Why are we trying to narrow God's mercy? I didn't realize there was a limit to how many people could go to heaven."

This will not be removed until I finish my Sprite Series. Arim and AJ VS The World Started December 19, 2013 (I actually still haven't given up on this! XD)

This will not be removed until The Demon Invasion is finished. Started December 19, 2013 (Hue)

3DS Friend Code 0834 - 1057 - 3616

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users