Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Ideal Team Composition?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

What are everyone's usual teams comprised of? Personally, regardless of game, I like to have:

-At least two promoted healers (one focused on staves, with the other focused on magic but still decent at healing) with potentially one other mage to contrast the magic-focused one (A Druid as opposed to a Bishop, etc)
-One or two units focused into a single weapon for each weapon of the triangle (Swordmasters, Berzerkers, etc; the lords/theives count for one if they're good)
-One promoted archer
-A tanky unit (General/Great Knight usually; they tend to be one of the lance-focused units)
-Two or three mounted units (The tank can count if they're a Great Knight, as can the archer if they're a Ranger with ok sword rank)
-A misc unit, if the game has them (Laguz, that mimicking guy from FE11, etc)

My teams tend to be lacking on fliers, unless said flier is Sword/Lance focused. Even then, I'll occasionally use one and only rarely more than one. I really hate the bonus archer damage.

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

#2 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

I favor:

-Units that can use melee weapons and bows
-Generals
-Healers that are focused in magic (at most i'd want B rank in staves but that's not necessary most of the time)
-Swordmasters (despite how they don't end up too useful for me most of the time, I still include them for their cool factor)
-Wyvern mounted units (Pegasi? Who needs em?)

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#3 Lancer

Lancer

Scrub

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Things not related to school. Except English and art. Possibly history as well.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

3-5 flying units.

Everybody else offers ground support. A few healers.

ZERG RUSH.

TLPMiniBanner.png

vkWfJfS.png

SUP

#4 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

Most games:
- ~10% Lords
- 30-40% foot soldiers "Blink" tanks, units which can wall up an area with abuse of the broken speed stat and fight back for good damage. Because of this, the units tend to be massively powerful offensively and defensively.
- 20-30% mages. Utility is key and mages are utility personified in this game. 1-2 range, healing and offence...and horseback if they are Valkyrie.
- 10-20% flying units. These provide fluidity and can capitalize on openings in the lines of the enemy. If an exposed archer or healer is available, then they can cash in and knock out some key enemies. They also provide excellent saviour mechanics and can bring allies from harm when no one else can.
- Remainder horseback cavalry and strong tiered units.

My game is pretty heavily formation based and similar to a Greek formation, where I place my best meat shields up front. They are supported an support them with additional firepower from behind. Calvary and auxiliary (mages) come in to protect the flanks when needed. Mages also act as archers, dealing serious damage forward, which is heavily derived from my favouritism to Napoleonic tactics of artillery use

Generally, this doesn't change unless horseback (Path of Radiance) or flyers (Awakening) are the flavour of the month.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#5 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

I'd have also added Pirates to my list up there, since I like using them because of their aesthetic, but unfortunately they have a tendency to not keep their piratey style after they promote.

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#6 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:27 AM

QUOTE (kirant @ Feb 17 2013, 07:31 PM)
My game is pretty heavily formation based and similar to a Greek formation, where I place my best meat shields up front.  They are supported an support them with additional firepower from behind.  Calvary and auxiliary (mages) come in to protect the flanks when needed.  Mages also act as archers, dealing serious damage forward, which is heavily derived from my favouritism to Napoleonic tactics of artillery use

Generally, this doesn't change unless horseback (Path of Radiance) or flyers (Awakening) are the flavour of the month.

In more open maps, I tend to have a main wall of tanks and pseudotanks (units with a weapon advantage, and thus dodge advantage, over the majority of the enemy) supported by my ranged units, with the mages acting primarily as healers who happen to be able to counterattack. From this, I'll send 2-3 man squadrons (usually comprised of two units who support eachother and a healer/glass cannon mage) to accomplish side tasks, such as dispatching reinforcements or retrieving the contents of chests.

For more linear maps (think Eirika chapter 12 or quite a few indoor maps), I use an advancing guard sort of strategy. I have squishies come in to nuke all enemies in range, then send units who can survive a turn forward to hold the ground that is cleared up. Mages are especially useful here, being able to heal or damage as needed. These sorts of maps are less common, but they generally go faster, which is nice.

Spoiler

#7 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:25 AM

3-5 flying units.

Everybody else offers ground support. A few healers.

ZERG RUSH.

Yep this definitely sounds like you XD

@kirant oh wow that's pretty organized and well thought-out XD

As for me, I like to get a nice variety of units. While it really does depend on stuff like the game (e.g. in FE9 I hardly use any fliers because I think all the Pegasus Knights suck leaving only Jill or Haar), I generally have the main character leading ahead level-wise because I want them to be able to defend themselves if necessary, along with either a defensive mounted unit or a knight. I may actually use multiple mounted units to start with, but I usually drop one or the other (e.g. start off with Sain and Kent but just use Sain).

I like at LEAST one mage and definitely one healer, though I might make my mage double as a healer upon promotion. I prefer troubadours over umounted healers because of their extended range and in some case, canto, as well as the fact that IMO they became great units once they get offensive magic while mounted (or perhaps swords if you're like Mist). I'll generally have no more than 2 fliers, maybe one Pegasus and one Wyvern, because even though I like their general offensive power (whether it's strength/def based or speed based) and movement ability, they're too susceptible to arrows and in some cases magic, and with limited unit slots I feel like I can't risk it on chapters with ballistae and the such.

I'll also have one offensive powerhouse, which usually comes down to an axe-user, and then a few sword-users, meaning Swordmasters, Heroes, and Assassins, which are some of my (and many people's) favorite classes. As the game continues though, if I'm using two of a certain class, I may have to retire one of them, due to limited space and the fact that I like to have a nice variety of classes.

Lastly, if it's not FE13, I tend to have one epic Sniper who can literally snipe the crap out of stuff from behind walls (<3 arrows, especially ones that fly through walls). As for why not FE13, you only get Virion, who I don't like/dies too easily for me and I haven't had a chance to reclass anyone into a Sniper because well first playthrough I just didn't feel like it and ATM I'm on my lunatic playthrough so I don't have the ability to really baby anyone... XD

That's about it, yeah...

[/details]

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#8 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

I tend to prefer mounted healers too (in fact, sometimes it seems like they're too much better as a class) but I don't like going with one healer cause a lot of the time I find my healers being the ones who need healing the most. >_>

#9 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:08 AM

The one that wins, yo.

I tend to like having a single peg/wyvern, 2 pallies/GKs, one of each magic unit, maybe a 2nd sage, the lords, and then a mix of the ground units, normally Heroes/SMs/zerker, and possibly a mounted bowman.

#10 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:11 AM

OH YEAH! Forgot about Berserkers. I usually don't have enough to go both Warrior and Berserker, so I'll prob go either/or. That and prepromoted Berserkers tend to stink leaving only the ones you train, at least from my experiences... XP

@Hatless aye yeah which is why I usually have a unit like the Sage as a back-up healer, or if it's FE8 since Bishops are like OP I might have one extra Bishop... though like ATM in my FE13 run I have 3 healers so that way if I split up into groups I have one healer in each and a main healer with physic/fortify/rescue for when any of that is needed which in Lunatic mode is every turn

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#11 Rujio

Rujio

I eat Axel

• Veterans
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:41 AM

I take along one or two healers, stock up on mounts, and toss in a few foot units with awesome stats, usually.
?????????
???????
There, katakana. Happy?
Bobryk -- holy crap I look away for two seconds and I have knots all up in my shit

#12 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:49 AM

oh yeah I forgot to mention

if the game has Halberdiers

**** yeah Halberdiers I'll likely trash one of my extra sword or anima magic users lol

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#13 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:02 AM

I have a tendency to include Halberdiers in my team in hacks, but for some reason I didn't bother doing so in RD or PoR. >_>

#14 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (Blazer @ Feb 19 2013, 03:49 AM)
oh yeah I forgot to mention

if the game has Halberdiers

**** yeah Halberdiers I'll likely trash one of my extra sword or anima magic users lol

I'll throw a Hally in instead of another ground fighter (lolzerkers in 9/10).

#15 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

I haven't yet gotten a halberdier in any of my games, but I want to use one. Are they basically Swordsmasters and Berserkers of lances?

Spoiler

#16 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

I don't remember them getting a crit boost in 9/10, but it's been a while.

Otherwise yes, they're lance-locked when promoted.

#17 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

They get crit boosts, yes.

Or at least, they did in RD. Which I remember better.

Their class name weirds me out though (since, y'know, a halberd is an axe and at best most related by how it is a spear-axe >_>)

#18 Bobryk

Bobryk

;/

• Veterans
  • 1,363 posts
  • Interests:Brunettes<br>Being awesome<br>Meat products

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

^Yeah, the name is an interesting choice. Sentinel is good, though. Isn't there an axe in most games called a halberd, too? They may be strangely absent from Fe10, however...

I usually like to have a lot of different units on my teams-- never the same class twice if I can help it. It's more for aesthetics, I suppose, seeing all those different kinds of units out there. This is pretty easy to do in games like Sacred Stones and Awakening (branched promotions). My teams are game dependent too-- like Kirant said about the mounted units destroying everything in Fe9.

I also tend to use classes with high caps and I like seeing shiny green max stats biggrin.gif. So that means I don't tend to use non-Fe9 paladins. Clearly I'm a casual player and don't play for turns tongue.gif

That being said...

-I usually use the main lord. In the case where there are multiple lords, I tend to pick one and roll with it. (Ex in Fe7 I hardly ever use Eliwood, Lyn and Hector in one playthrough.)
-One or two horseback units...usually just one.
-LOTS OF AXES. Berserkers, heroes, etc. Axes are sweet, especially as a secondary weapon as most games allow hand axes at E weapon level. It's fun having Raven S axes, too.
-Maybe 1 swordmaster/primary sword-user (swordmaster is totally overrated in every game that isn't Fe12 lunatic and FE4)
-One flyer, two max, game depending. I tend to blitz, so earlygame pegasus knights don't cut it for me damn archery weakness
-Variety of mages, one or two able to use staffs/different kinds of magic. Magic units tend to be good in every game that isn't Fe10.
-DANCER! I usually roll with small teams, so I can afford to deploy a dancer/filler unit like this. Whether they'll actually be put to use is game dependent, but they're out there for the ohshit moments tongue.gif
-No archers. Sorry, but **** bows. They were only good in Fe10 because of crossbows. Their use is very situational, as well, such as lunatic/harder modes and even in early chapters where chip damage is actually useful. Lategame, though? See ya.

I cover all my bases, I think...
user posted image

#19 Lancer

Lancer

Scrub

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Things not related to school. Except English and art. Possibly history as well.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Halberdiers were more like slightly stronger paladins stat wise, without the horses. They got a crit boost in FE10, +5 as Halberdier and +10 as Sentinel. Of course, this crit boost is inferior to both Sniper/Marksman (+10/+15) and Swordmaster/Trueblade (+15/+25 or so, iirc)

TLPMiniBanner.png

vkWfJfS.png

SUP

#20 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:27 AM

QUOTE (Bobryk @ Feb 19 2013, 12:29 PM)
-No archers. Sorry, but **** bows. They were only good in Fe10 because of crossbows. Their use is very situational, as well, such as lunatic/harder modes and even in early chapters where chip damage is actually useful. Lategame, though? See ya.

This. This, this, this...this is key for me. (Sorry. This was a bet with my friend that 5 starting words would be "This" in a post)

Bows are by far the most useless weapon in Fire Emblem and seem to only exist as an annoyance for your strategy. 2 only range is useless unless archers have a massive stat advantage. They need to act like magic and have a 1-2 range, while having really poor stats overall (and they actually do in my mod...which is going the speed of dirt)

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users