Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Events and Such (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dlamey8015

dlamey8015

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:29 AM

Alright, so my previous problem is fixed, but now I'm having a problem with the text command.
The game glitches every time I try to load a bit of text that I've edited.
It doesn't occur when I load text that was originally in the game,
but only with custom text.

Here is my code:

Opening_event:
LOU1 Bad
ENUN
TEX1 0x800
REMA
LOU1 RebeccaLoad
FIGH Rebecca Zephiel Fight 0
KILL Zephiel
ENUN
END_MAIN

#2 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Tons of stuff, figure them out yourself.

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:55 AM

Yeah that's happened to me before, several times in fact >_> I still can't figure it out but I think it has to do with the rom you're using.
Posted Image
Posted Image
This won't be removed until Chile wins the World Cup - Started 24/06/12
BTW, I take map requests if anyone wants to make one XD, just send me a PM and I'll most likely accept. If you wanna see some of previous work you can visit my gallery here, I'd skip to the end because I've improved alot XD.

#3 Golden Warrior

Golden Warrior

Good as Gold!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:Video games, reading, writing, and other such creative things.

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

Could you elaborate a bit on "the game glitches"? What exactly does it do to glitch? Screech of death? Or does the screen just go black without a noise. (Oh, and could I see the text you are trying to load? I think I've fixed this problem before.)

Got Pokemon X/Y or OR/AS? Battle me! Or trade with me... Trading is cool too.
3DS FC: 5300-9087-1138 (PM me if you add me so I know to add you back.)

Have Smash Bros for Wii U? Battle me there too! 

Nintendo Network ID: GoldenWarriorX (No need to notify me in this case, it will.)

#4 dlamey8015

dlamey8015

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

It gives me the screech of death.

#5 Golden Warrior

Golden Warrior

Good as Gold!

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

Ok then, could I see what text you're trying to use? The custom text, I mean. It'll give me better understanding of what's happening.

Nintendo Network ID: GoldenWarriorX (No need to notify me in this case, it will.)

#6 dlamey8015

dlamey8015

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

Actually, it just decided to randomly fix itself.
Well, never mind then.
Thanks anyway.

#7 Golden Warrior

Golden Warrior

Good as Gold!

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

Huh. Ok then. mellow.gif

Well, any time there's a problem go ahead and ask away!

#8 OmnisScio

OmnisScio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Video Games

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

I kind of wish it didn't fix itself, now no one will know what was actually going on.

See, I too have encountered this exact problem. I'm trying to get text working, if I point it to text that I have altered, I get the horrible screeching, but if I point it to unaltered text, it works fine.

#9 dlamey8015

dlamey8015

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

It's a problem with your rom. You'll have to get a clean rom and start over.(Unfortunately) Save any data that you can, then get a new rom.

#10 OmnisScio

OmnisScio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:44 AM

All I had done to a clean Rom before encountering this problem was insert the map (0x8DA0000) and event file (0x8D80000), re-pointed the prologue map and events in FE7 reference editor, changed the map settings in chapter data to fit with the new map. I had a text command in the event file point to 0x815. Running the Rom at this point works perfectly. If I then go into FEditor and change that text, I get the screech. This is what I had done before posting here.

However, I tried your suggestion anyway, got a new clean rom, inserted map, event file, works fine, change text, screech.

What I really want is an action that directly solves the problem with an explanation as to whats going wrong and why that action fixes it.

#11 dlamey8015

dlamey8015

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:06 AM

Actually, I seem to be having the same problem at the moment. Originally, just using a clean rom worked, but it doesn't now.

#12 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

What game is this? What is the original text and the new text? It might be the specific text slot you're using--try using another text slot. Also try making the text blank and see if it still screws up. If it's FE6, that might be your issue--FE6 is screwed up in general though there's supposed to be some fixes for some of the FE6 bugs (see here)

This sound like a rather annoying problem and multiple people are having it so let's work together to try to fix it. If the issue persists I'd say the next step would be to make a copy of a clean ROM, edit nothing but the text, replicate the glitch, then make a UPS patch between the clean ROM and the glitched ROM. Then we'll use patch difference to analyze the difference in data--however for you guys if you're not familiar with the ROM this might not be very useful to you so you may need to upload the patch and link it to me so I can check it out myself even though I'm supposed to be retired from hacking

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#13 dlamey8015

dlamey8015

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

The game is FE7 for me.

The error doesn't occur when I change the text with the ID 815 and play the game normally with no other modification.
The error also doesn't occur when I change text with the ID 800 and use a simple event script to display that text.
So far it has only occurred in a rom where I inserted a map, a custom portrait, made an events file, and THEN changed the text.
I'm not sure if examining the changed data would allow you to see the cause of the error, just because of all the things I've changed,
but I'll put the patch here anyway.
Patch

#14 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

That's why I said we need to replicate the glitch on a ROM as clean as possible first. There are a couple other people here so maybe they can help with a ROM with less edits, we'll see. If it's just inserting data, that's fine, the main issue is if there are weird patches applied, ASM hacks done, random graphics or other peculiar data edits, etc., but if it's just like inserting maps to the 0xD00000-0xDFFFFF or 0x1000000+ areas, I know that can't be the problem so I'm not worried about that.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#15 dlamey8015

dlamey8015

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

I tried replicating it on a clean rom, but the error didn't occur.

#16 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:33 AM

Hmm, any chance you could list the changes--at least in general--you made to your hack then? If possible note anything directly related to the text, i.e.

- the EXACT code you used to load the text
- ID of that slot/index
- the actual text in that slot/index

as well as any weird changes

and then other generic changes e.g. "nightmare edits", "portrait edits", etc., which we can -probably- rule out but are useful to know in terms of analyzing the data

I realize this is a pain but sadly this is how higher-level debugging goes (and tbh this is mostly just basic logical, trial, and error...)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#17 OmnisScio

OmnisScio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

I am also modding Fire Emblem 7

I tried changing the order that I did things, and found that if I modify the text before loading and re pointing the events and map, it worked. Hopefully this is helpful in finding out whats going on, because this is most definitely not a solution. i don't want to have to do all my text before touching anything else.

Information:
map location: 0x8DA0000
events location: 0x8D80000
Edited text slot 0815

Event file:
x (Click Here To Hide/Show Text)

//Made by markyjoe1990 of Youtube
//Modified by Nintenlord

#define DISABLE_TUTORIALS
#include EAstdlib.event

EventPointerTable(0x06,Pointers)

ORG 0xD80000
Pointers:
POIN Turn_events
POIN Character_events
POIN Location_events
POIN Misc_events
POIN TrapData TrapData
POIN Bad Bad Bad Bad
POIN Good Good Good Good
POIN Opening_event Ending_event

Bad:
UNIT Batta Brigand 0x00 Level(5,Enemy,True) [7,1] [7,1] [IronAxe] [0x00]
UNIT Empty

Good:
UNIT Lyn_t LynLord 0x00 Level(10,Ally,True) [2,8] [2,8] [ManiKatti,Vulnerary,ChestKey] [0x00]
UNIT Empty

Turn_events:
TurnEventPlayer(0x00,Opening_event,1)
END_MAIN

Character_events:
END_MAIN

Location_events:
Chest(IronSword,13,1)
Seize(0x00,Ending_event,7,1)
END_MAIN

Misc_events:
CauseGameOverIfLordDies
END_MAIN

Opening_event:
CMOF
LOU1 Good
ENUN
LOU1 Bad
ENUN

FADI 16
HIDEMAP
BACG 0x06
FADU 16
SHOWMAP
TEX1 0x815
REMA

//Text(0x06,0x815)
ENDA

Ending_event:
MNCH 0x02
ENDA

TrapData:
ENDTRAP

MESSAGE Events end at offset currentOffset
//The map for this chapter is at offset: ????????

#18 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:07 AM

^Sadly I doubt it's your events. I don't see any errors in your events in my so as long as they're loading alright/setup alright I don't think that's the problem. That being said I didn't really doubt you guys on what you said earlier which suggested it wasn't, but I'm just playing it safe since I'm pretty much just as in the dark as you guys (if not more so because I haven't encountered this problem myself and don't have a patch and savestate to experience it).

That patch the other person uploaded (sorry I can't remember your name and don't feel like checking cuz it's really late and I'm really tire) had a MASSIVE amount of edits to a large section of the ROM which might have been the text area... which is awfully weird because I don't see why so much of that would be edited. I'd like to know why in the world it decided to screw all that up, tbh. Another weird thing is that if the patch was correctly made and is essentially a patch to convert a clean FE7 ROM to your hack, and you saved with FEditor Adv... why doesn't it include changes to the ASM part of the ROM? Your UPS patch makes NO changes to the main ASM part of the ROM which is highly suspicious. That pretty much yells "I haven't been edited by FEditor", but if it really has, there's a problem. I can't say anything decisive yet without help from you guys but someone try opening their ROM, saving it, and closing, and seeing if that does anything, and also if someone can get me another patch (this one I just checked out real quick seems way too odd so I'd like another one to try and help figure things out) and perhaps a savestate to go along with it, that would help greatly.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users