Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

bblues finally plays through FE Fates!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:32 PM

So, my copy of Conquest finally came in this evening (so much for delivered on release date).

I'm going to play through it (duh), and just chat shit with whatever happens. I have no clue about the story, changes, etc. - kinda kept myself in the dark about it. I've not been too hyped, but we'll see I guess.

I also haven't played an FE in about 2.5 years - Awakening being the last. No reason for not playing, just a lot of games in the meantime and a bit of jading - I think I played every other one at least 3+ times - expecting to be a bit rusty.

It's just going to be lines of commentary - it'll look pretty weird, but I'm not taking pictures of everything - I'm just listing off my thoughts.

-

Anyways, let's begin.

-

Version:

Conquest was picked because...it's supposed to be more like a traditional FE apparently. Awakening was alright, but it did feel like it lacked a bit, and when looking back, it's one of the poorer entries I've played, in gameplay, characters, and story. So maybe this might be a change. Also, they're all (mostly) angsty black wearing non-samurais in the picture - obviously what FE was lacking all these years. 

Also, FUCK splitting this game, and adding Revelation as a DLC. I hate the video game industry. Remember when games were just given to you complete, well made, with no extra charge? 

-

Difficulty:

What happened to Easy, Normal, Hard? I like starting on Normal, but now Normal shames me by going in the place of Easy as a 'beginner' route. I'm playing this to *enjoy* first time round, so 'Neasy' it is, and just expect it to be Normal, hopefully. That said, I laughed at Phoenix - what's the point? Classic was the obvious choice.

Normal-Classic. Anyone who's like 'hurr easy mode' can do one. I play every game on 'Normal' to start - that's the level set as a standard, so why change it straight away?

-

Character Creation:

Bleh - can I have some...more normal hair styles? The voices are also all kinda similar. I think Dragon's Dogma spoiled me all those years ago. It's just better than Bioware at least.

Also, what on earth were the strengths/weaknesses and 'Talent'? There's no description - I guess I have an idea as to what they'd effect, but honestly, for someone new, where's the description? 

Went on myself obviously (Male) - can't wait for the awkward S-Ranks and my gf peering over to see her new virtual competition.

Clever positive, Clumsy Flaw. Dragon Talent - the GF's Welsh, so it fits.

Also, I can fit my name in - YAY.

-

Prologue:

That was the worst attempt at a Disney Princess song in a while. Also, where on earth is some exposition or history? Seriously, this is a flaw.

'1v1 me on Rust m9' is the general gist of that battle cutscene, despite the fact they both killed other soldiers, so clearly not a 1v1.

Okay...battle basics *yawn*...

WAIT WTF HE USED A WHAT TO BLOCK A RIVER? I think I should just turn off the game now. It's over.

Also, sitting on the Hoshido side with 'Nohrian Prince' - this seems silly already. I know conquest will put me on Nohr, but this just looks silly and don't think I didn't notice when they're telling me how good a Hoshidan I am.

Then the amazing Brother war. It must not be very fun to be the rope in family tug of war, as I then passed out. It also didn't help one lick in finding out who's bangable - while the lack of previous exposition also made me not actually give a damn.

-

CH1:

And then it was dream. Hello, Nintendo? I'm phoning to complain - I apparently just got FE Awakening instead of FE Fates.

Ice to meet you to, maids.

This can't be chapter 1, really? This should be prologue. Seriously.

Annnnnd more Veinage. I hate this gimmick already.

So, that done, and I get a cuddle - that was cool and cute.

Brief brief brieeeeeef introduction to a bunch of people, and I'm off to see the Pops the King. OR IS HE?

-

That's all for the moment, but I will keep this updated.

#2 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:49 PM

Dragon talent means that your class change gives you access to Wyvern Rider. I can't remember what the terminology for boon/banes were...

I'm guessing normal is at least marginally challenging this time around (compared to lolwut Awakening) if Blue Leafeon's opinion is to be believed, and I found hard on Birthright mildly threatening at times. Supposedly you can more or less treat Conquest's difficulties as one-ups of Birthright's, meaning Normal(Nohr) more or less = Hard(Hoshido) so I'd presume you're getting the "normal" mode you want.

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#3 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:52 AM

Also, FUCK splitting this game, and adding Revelation as a DLC. I hate the video game industry. Remember when games were just given to you complete, well made, with no extra

I am interested in your ideas and would like to subscribe to your magazine. 

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#4 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:46 AM

I haven't read through everything quite yet but, this is great. As is Kirant's remark. I'd also subscribe to said magazine and I really am not a magazine guy

I did something similar, just listing off thoughts is fine. I'll try to keep responding so you can respond in turn as you update them without feeling guilty about double posting (as if people still feel guilty about that crap). I feel like I still haven't discussed this game PROPERLY as much as previous ones (like, not including the times where I repeatedly just say the same negative things) so yeah

Difficulty:

What happened to Easy, Normal, Hard? I like starting on Normal, but now Normal shames me by going in the place of Easy as a 'beginner' route. I'm playing this to *enjoy* first time round, so 'Neasy' it is, and just expect it to be Normal, hopefully. That said, I laughed at Phoenix - what's the point? Classic was the obvious choice.

Normal-Classic. Anyone who's like 'hurr easy mode' can do one. I play every game on 'Normal' to start - that's the level set as a standard, so why change it straight away?

I totally agree with this. I almost always go for normal mode first unless I have some reason to go for easy mode. Hard mode is more for 2nd playthroughs to get a bit of a different/more challenging experience once I've already gotten familiar with the game and everything. And it's kind of annoying that they have to make people feel better by putting normal as the easiest route, lol. I like PlatinumGames where they basically do the opposite, normal mode is the hardest (or 2nd-hardest maybe, I forget--think it depends on if it's your 1st or 2nd playthrough) so yeah. XP there's nothing wrong with playing a game for fun and to get the standard experience, which is what normal should be, IMO--the standard, intended, right-in-the-middle experience.

Phoenix is def a joke tho. Casual I understand but lol, at least if the story was good I could kind of see someone playing Phoenix for the story but

well

I'll let you play and judge the story for yourself, maybe you'll like it, gotta give it a fair chance

EDIT: oh yeah as far as actual difficulty goes, the game is balanced like crap IMO so I don't even know. I found stat inflation and large masses of enemies in both Birthright AND Conquest to make the game hard for reasons that were not really enjoyable or rewarding. every game has some levels of imbalance, easy/hard chapters, etc. but this game was... something.................... comment withheld lol

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#5 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:00 AM

Dragon talent means that your class change gives you access to Wyvern Rider. I can't remember what the terminology for boon/banes were...

I'm guessing normal is at least marginally challenging this time around (compared to lolwut Awakening) if Blue Leafeon's opinion is to be believed, and I found hard on Birthright mildly threatening at times. Supposedly you can more or less treat Conquest's difficulties as one-ups of Birthright's, meaning Normal(Nohr) more or less = Hard(Hoshido) so I'd presume you're getting the "normal" mode you want.

Oh, I guess I should have clocked on to that - I'm guessing that means there are some new classes then, kinda threw it.

And fair enough with difficulties.

I am interested in your ideas and would like to subscribe to your magazine. 

Haha, as a kid I always wanted to be in one of those video game magazines as a reviewer.

EDIT: oh yeah as far as actual difficulty goes, the game is balanced like crap IMO so I don't even know. I found stat inflation and large masses of enemies in both Birthright AND Conquest to make the game hard for reasons that were not really enjoyable or rewarding. every game has some levels of imbalance, easy/hard chapters, etc. but this game was... something.................... comment withheld lol

Oh dear.

#6 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:10 PM

Chapter 2:

Windmire. That is a terrible name for a place.

Garon does not at all sound like Ganon and certainly does not at all look like he'll end up being evil.

KRAKENBURG CASTLE? Wow. This is lazy.

'I feel like I'm dreaming' - I really hope you aren't mate. I'd like it if every other chapter wasn't a dream.

Ooh, cool sword with a terrible name.

And why is there a battle-maid? *sigh* Japan.

More plot-device vein. Oh dear. 

'I can throw daggers through walls' - at least they recognise it.

WHAT HAVE THEY DONE. MY WEAPON TRIANGLE!? I'm actually upset. Why. And WHY is lance good against magic? They took something that made sense and just messed with it. UGH.

They have debuff weapons now? That's kinda cool.

So after a level in which staves were advertised but nobody took a point of damage, that was done.

So, King Ganon wants me to kill them - this is where I get the choice t- nope, I just outright defend them and make it obvious that the King is evil. Surprise!

And then it turns out that nobody really likes him, so we secretly release the PoWs, because it's too early to scare everyone with the cold hard truth of death and FE.

-

Chap. 3:

I like Elise. She's cheerful and my pawn in Dragon's Dogma was named Elise.

Oh, he's laughing and then there's nobody else there. He's either:

a: Crazy

b: Talking to evil spirits/dragons/viziers/etc.

c: Actually Ganon.

Nice ceiling fixture - I prefer the Sistine Chapel though.

Now to go investigate an 'abandoned' fortress - no battle my arse. We'll see...

This advisor also seems not evil. He's also called Iago. Does he Laguz into a parrot? Hans is also very trustworthy and not evil looking, with a totally clean past.

Ah, bottomless canyons, my favourite.

Oh look. An unabandoned fortress. And Hans proves that he's just as useful into actually making a good, not evil action in just murdering some guy. Go Hans.

Hans called me a weakling. Looking at his stats, I have 2 less strength. Pretty sure he's a liar.

Pair Up seems changed a bit in terms of guard. Guess we'll see. Enemy pair up too - this could be annoying.

Get wrecked Hans. Wish he'd just died as opposed to his armour...shattering?

Also, Veining Bridges. Eh.

Looks like the percentages in castles are different on attack and defence? Oh, and pair-up guard is very annoying on the enemies.

Took the castle with little effort, but here comes troub-oh, looks like the siblings are here to clean up and give us a retreat.

Hans comes to show how not evil he is by knocking my retainer into a bottomless pit, and now it's time for...drill arms? And horns? My drill is the drill that will crit the enemies? And my sword drags me into the pit in a very unconvincingly animated way.

The actual maid is a dragon? And she is...very happy to have me around. Cherry Blossom Plane looks nice.

And returned into being knocked straight out. STOP SPAWN CAMPING 2K16

#7 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:36 PM

Ch. 4

So, kidnapped. Ok. Maybe we should end it here and get the DNA tests ready. YOU.....ARE NOT THE FATHER

Ah, the peace loving Samurai Kingdom of Sunny times and bright colours in the East, or the cold, dark, mostly blonde haired war loving Kingdom in the West. HMMMMMM, this doesn't seem at all a coincidence.

Okay, so they're just gonna trust me out there to not be a dick and backstab the High Prince. Well, going on earlier actions, they're right. So let it snow, and kill these monster things that aren't the Grima ones mixed with FE8.

The veins are gonna be everywhere, aren't they?

Ryoma's sword is cool. This chapter was easy - maybe later on this could've been a redux of the Pent Map in FE7, but oh well.

At least the MU isn't like 'yeah sure let's be Hoshidan'. The fact there's awful singing girl being a Nohrian though - eye for an eye, was it? 

#8 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:03 PM

Ch.5

So, I've cleared my head. Would've like to see that.

Refinding announced, and potatoes eaten, Mr. Suspicious-of-me who I've not seen talked to, annnnnd....boom. Of course that wasn't going to go smoothly.

MOOOOOOTHEEEEEEERRRR - cue Bambi.

So, I'm a Dragon. A very Deer-like one, coincidentally. Do I evolve into Xerneas? Is this actually going to be Nintendo crossovers? Super Tactics Bros....MELEEEEE

I like how Wyrmslayers are given big exclamation marks, just so you don't mess that up.

Easy level. This is extremely gradual.

Calmed by songs, and cue memory gain. Poor pops, I hardly knew him.

Takumi's a twat, but I get it.

Oh look, the sword in the stone! Don't even need to pull it out. ACCIO SWORD.

Dragonstone too, and so early!

Also game, stop trying to ship me with Azura! I will S-Rank who I want, dammit! Stop trying to Ninian 2.0!

#9 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:23 PM

Ch. 6

Oh look, the dream is a reality. After Awakening, shoulda known.

Haha, 'game data not present on this system'. Brilliant.

And the maid returns! Apparently having searched a bottomless canyon. Okaaaay.

Weird how it just sticks you up against some prepromotes with some prepromotes. It's not an introduction I'm a fan of so far.

Enemy pair up still weird. Baited Ryoma around, killed the others.

Finished, say bye to Azura...and the intro cutscene again.

#10 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:58 AM

I'm guessing normal is at least marginally challenging this time around (compared to lolwut Awakening) if Blue Leafeon's opinion is to be believed, and I found hard on Birthright mildly threatening at times.

It's not true Fire Emblem difficulty, sadly. I feel like it's more false difficulty. The enemy AI has a 90% chance of hitting regardless of what it actually says, and with your characters' HP growths so ridiculously low and enemy strengths so high, getting attacked by more than one enemy unit can often result in death. Unless you're Elise. Then getting attacked by ANY enemy unit will result in death.

So, I'm a Dragon. A very Deer-like one, coincidentally. Do I evolve into Xerneas? Is this actually going to be Nintendo crossovers? Super Tactics Bros....MELEEEEE

Ahahahaha...that was my thought as well. "THAT'S NOT A DRAGON. THAT'S XERNEAS!"

Get wrecked Hans. Wish he'd just died as opposed to his armour...shattering?

There's a certain set of weapons that does this. Didn't realize it at first, but when they say "strips armor" they MEAN IT LITERALLY. It apparently strips clothes, too. <<;

IUfb9Eg.png

#11 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:42 AM

Okay, stuff happened, couldn't keep it updated. As always.

Well, here's the reflection on it.

It was disappointing. Not bad - I'm sure it's great fun if you've never played one/played Awakening, but I just felt underwhelmed for much of the game.

The levels felt bland and straightforward, with the only occasional difficulty coming from AI shenanigans - which felt more like artificial attempts to make the game harder rather than actually bothering to make the level design better. No map felt 'epic', with most previous maps having at least one, and it never felt satisfying to play through. The weapon triangle additions/muddling and pair up system made the experience more of a clutter than it should have been, especially when adding in reusable stat debuffers like Shurikens and some of those staves (permanent halving of HP for the whole map? Really?).

I felt like it was a bad mod or beta, full of stuff that was left half done.

And the story...let's not go there. So poorly written, half asses, bland...I couldn't believe it. I might add more to this, but it's kinda depressing to think about.

I still haven't played it again, I don't think I want to play it again. I will not fork out for Birthright or Revelation, and I can't believe they thought it was justified to do it, having played this.

#12 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:10 AM

If you think Conquest is bad?

Revelation is far worse.

IUfb9Eg.png

#13 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • 1,274 posts
  • Interests:Games and such. Anime and other stuff.

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:32 PM

The rare bb popped up for once.

Yeah, you're opinions are pretty much mirror mine. I didn't have too much fun with the gameplay past chapter 10 despite how much people say it's great and everything else ranged from meh to bad. 

Posted Image

Posted Image         Posted Image

#14 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:52 AM

The rare bb popped up for once.

Yeah, you're opinions are pretty much mirror mine. I didn't have too much fun with the gameplay past chapter 10 despite how much people say it's great and everything else ranged from meh to bad. 

*your

Okay, stuff happened, couldn't keep it updated. As always.

Well, here's the reflection on it.

It was disappointing. Not bad - I'm sure it's great fun if you've never played one/played Awakening, but I just felt underwhelmed for much of the game.

The levels felt bland and straightforward, with the only occasional difficulty coming from AI shenanigans - which felt more like artificial attempts to make the game harder rather than actually bothering to make the level design better. No map felt 'epic', with most previous maps having at least one, and it never felt satisfying to play through. The weapon triangle additions/muddling and pair up system made the experience more of a clutter than it should have been, especially when adding in reusable stat debuffers like Shurikens and some of those staves (permanent halving of HP for the whole map? Really?).

I felt like it was a bad mod or beta, full of stuff that was left half done.

And the story...let's not go there. So poorly written, half asses, bland...I couldn't believe it. I might add more to this, but it's kinda depressing to think about.

I still haven't played it again, I don't think I want to play it again. I will not fork out for Birthright or Revelation, and I can't believe they thought it was justified to do it, having played this.

yeah, I agree on basically everything. there's too much silly nonsense and comparing to a 'bad mod' is actually pretty accurate, because a lot of these ideas feel like the ideas you'd see in a mod--little nudges to stats here, nudges to stats there, weird effects, some op stuff, some poorly balanced stuff, etc.

the story is... honestly worse than some mods lol, you just scratched the surface but like you I think it's depressing to think about so >>'

I just plan to play the games in English once, hopefully quickly, maybe with cheat codes to make things easier, because I only played them in Jap, but I'm really not feeling any motivation. I had little hope in Fates but was still slightly hopeful and got utterly crushed for even that, so for the next game I'm not expecting crap.

It stinks though because I can't meet a lot of cool people with good tastes in the FE community if it's just bringing in fans of this crap, lol. no offense, I mean, people are entitled to their opinions, but it's only natural for me to want people with similar tastes in writing, gameplay, etc. to me, and FE went from a somewhat inspired series with decent writing, good gameplay, and great music, to terrible writing, questionable/shaky gameplay reliant on gimmicks, and IMO mediocre music (people like Fates' music for some reason but for me most of the songs sound the same and there are only a couple good tracks, for the most part the songs aren't that catchy and unlike previous games I don't have favorite battle themes, favorite cutscene songs, etc., it's technically just my opinion but I can't be the only one who thought the only good thing about Fates' was the style of it and that the actual songs/melodies weren't all that impressive, albeit not that bad either)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#15 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:42 AM

it's technically just my opinion but I can't be the only one who thought the only good thing about Fates' was the style of it and that the actual songs/melodies weren't all that impressive, albeit not that bad either)

Specify what you mean by style, and I'll tell you whether or not I agree. :P

Fates had potential, but like the sailor moon anime, failed to really strive to reach said potential. It's one thing to start noticing story-related fallacies in repeated playthroughs, but Fates is one of those games where its bad writing is so UP IN YOUR FACE that it's hard to ignore it... Although I admit that by the time I got finished with Birthright, I had been desensitized for Conquest,

Revelation, however... I just...don't know how anyone could approve of that nonsense. Especially professionals.

The music wasn't impressive, really. I liked possibly...four tracks? Across all three games? And only one of them were really the kind of thing I'd want to sit and listen to for hours. As opposed to Awakening, where I liked many more and could listen to at least 3 of them for hours without tiring.

IUfb9Eg.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users