Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Favorite Western Animation/Movies

animation tv

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JuneoftheMearkat

JuneoftheMearkat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:O_O, waaaay too many to say

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:37 AM

Sooo, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but does anyone have any favorite western animated shows they still look back on? Things that aired on Cartoon Network (which finally seems to be returning somewhat to former show variety in the past year, thank god), Nickelodeon, Disney, or Fox years ago (or right now)?

I completely admit I'm a big animation nerd and like to search and look out for new stuff to see if its worth picking up, and not just with anime. Note that I'd count any animated series (web or tv) and animated movie (disney, dreamworks, etc.) as long as its american/latin american/european/canada based in creation. I'm not so sure if dubbed anime that was heavily edited (most of the ones aimed at kids we all know) counts, unless you think it's THAT removed from the original and is practically a new show.

A quick list of favorites that still stand out to me (won't go into descriptions because this post would put you to sleep):

Cartoon Network: Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Ed, Edd n' Eddy, Codename Kids Next Door, Teen Titans, Code Lyoko (from France originally), Samurai Jack, Total Drama (newer, but its got some fun characters, even if its always really good or really bad depending on the season), Xiaolin Showdown (apparently has a sequel now, huh...) Steven Universe (just checked this one out this year, is pretty good and those backgrounds are gorgeous)

(Don't like Cow and Chicken/I Am Weasel shenanigans and I've seen some of Ren and Stimpy and Rocko but was too young when they first came out)

(NEED to watch Over the Garden Wall)

Nickelodeon: Hey Arnold, Spongebob (seasons 1-3 to movie -_-), Fairly Odd Parents (earlier seasons as well, haven't seen others), Avatar and Korra (DUH), Danny Phantom, As Told By Ginger, Jimmy Neutron, Invader Zim (LOL)

(I know I didn't put other originals like Doug/Rugrats/Wild Thornberry's here, they were always meh to me personally)

Disney: Recess, Kim Possible, Duck Tales, Lilo and Stitch the Series, most Disney Movies

(Gravity Falls is on the list...)

Warner Bros. (WB block): Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Pinky and the Brain

#2 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:55 AM

I used to watch some of the shows you did, but I can only really say I liked Teen Titans, and Code Lyoko was... ok. I was familiar with the others but they're not things I feel nostalgic about or that I felt were really quality, but I mean, being a kid, there wasn't a ton to watch, lol.

Spongebob, and bla bla the show got bad after seems like everyone mentions that XD it was hilarious back in the day though, ditto Fairly Odd Parents (for some reason this show is just "The Timmy Turner Show" in my head, I guess I couldn't handle its actual name for some reason, even though I know it), DUH to Avatar: The Last Airbender, Korra was ok I mean it had some pretty good moments but I didn't really like it that much especially after the first season, so I can't call it a favorite, I think I'm familiar with Danny Phantom/watched some IIRC, but  it's not a favorite, I used to watch a lot of Jimmy Neutron even though it wasn't even that great... haha

Rugrats was solid not sure why but somehow it was just amusing hahaha

I didn't like the Disney Channel much... or pretty much at all, really... lol, just not a Disney guy. Haven't even watched a lot of the Disney movies. When i do watch those kinds of movies (Disney, Pixar, whatever) they're usually not that bad but I don't really feel nostalgic for them nor do I feel compelled to watch them more than once, lol.

Eh, actually, after this post, I kinda feel like watching something. Maybe I'll do just that tomorrow, with some family if possible, haha.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#3 JuneoftheMearkat

JuneoftheMearkat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:22 AM

I used to watch some of the shows you did, but I can only really say I liked Teen Titans, and Code Lyoko was... ok. I was familiar with the others but they're not things I feel nostalgic about or that I felt were really quality, but I mean, being a kid, there wasn't a ton to watch, lol.

Yeah some aspect of "quality" definitely hinges off the nostalgia bias XD, its hard not to filter it out sometimes. While I might think some of these shows are still great based on general production values and memorability, there's always the lens of favoritism there, I completely admit it.

Spongebob, and bla bla the show got bad after seems like everyone mentions that XD it was hilarious back in the day though, ditto Fairly Odd Parents (for some reason this show is just "The Timmy Turner Show" in my head, I guess I couldn't handle its actual name for some reason, even though I know it)

It's a staple now to mention the seasons of Spongebob, the episodes after the movie are such a drop off XD. Can't help it. I've heard Fairly Odd Parents still has something here or there but the show droned way past my caring point after a few seasons.

DUH to Avatar: The Last Airbender, Korra was ok I mean it had some pretty good moments but I didn't really like it that much especially after the first season, so I can't call it a favorite, I think I'm familiar with Danny Phantom/watched some IIRC, but  it's not a favorite, I used to watch a lot of Jimmy Neutron even though it wasn't even that great... haha

I will almost certainly get shot and buried in a maggot-filled grave for this but I'm going to say it right now; Legend of Korra has INNUMERABLE writing problems in EVERY SEASON, especially if you compare to the care taken with the planning and pacing of Avatar. While I still put it on my list just because the initial concept for the characters was so good and the animation/setting is amazing (the ties to Avatar's legacy of quality are strong), its just a flat out badly written show at many points, horribly flubbing moments of character growth (and even just characters themselves) and plot changes.

I mean, the first season ends with a Deus Ex Machina of all things (and no, the fact that they originally only had 12 episodes is no excuse) along with a complete downfall of Korra's character development. It still has plenty of good stuff, but its just... buried under the incompetence of the writing (which while I hate to point fingers, is because the writing team of Avatar wasn't involved in Korra, it was only the designers Bryan and Michael, who are good concept artists/idea guys, but NOT writers). I know if it weren't for them the show wouldn't have been made in the first place (which I am still happy and grateful) but it really shows that they were not the final say when it came to Avatar's story.

#4 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:33 PM

*nods*

*agrees*

*nods*

I didn't actually know why TLoK turned out how it did, but now that you explained it, that makes some sense. I wasn't aware that some of the people in the original series didn't participate in the writing of the sequel.

Korra was still enjoyable in general but I just don't feel it was quite as enjoyable as TLA. It still had some good production values, animation scenes, voice acting, music, and even nostalgia, but yeah, some of the characters and writing and plot developments as a whole just really fell flat for me, and there were parts that seriously annoyed or frustrated me a bit, lol. I don't like sounding like I'm just a super biased dude who loved TLA but couldn't accept Korra, I mean I watched Korra relatively faithfully too, but it just wasn't up to par with TLA IMO, and I think it especially dipped down once the whole "OH MAN A NEW SEASON OF STUFF FROM THE AVATAR WORLD" thing died down after the first season... (in other words, hype/nostalgia can only carry a show so much)

pretty much, I agree with what you said and wouldn't shoot you down though I'm sure some people would (that's just how some fans are, can't handle criticisms lol). I honestly can't be very specific about what I didn't like, especially since so much of it is a blur (I really have no interest in watching the series again, whereas TLA was so good I think I watched it at least twice, maybe 3 times/some episodes multiple times, and I rarely watch a show or play a game more than once, so for me twice is a LOT). But I know for sure there were a lot of times I just didn't like the plot or wasn't impressed in some way and I honestly think it's not a terrible show overall, but it's just way too hard to match up to the legacy of The Last Airbender, which was one of the greatest animated shows I've ever witnessed, on various fronts (not just action, story, humor, or music; a combination of a lot of good things).

EDIT: and one last thing... I didn't even feel the way I did about TLA until now, but looking back, I was so hyped and excited for that show and IIRC I'd try so hard to watch the episodes as they got leaked online XD. It's not like it was a super dark or deep story, it was just well-executed, set out to accomplish something and did it with flying colors or what have you. So it's more of a "in retrospect, that show was pretty dang great, I can't really find shows like that often, especially on the Western side of animation where it's mostly comedy cartoons or movies AFAIK".

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#5 Knight of Argentum

Knight of Argentum

Maximus Imperator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Saepe in arcas verborum scribere obliviscor.

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:04 AM

I'm too lazy to sort by individual series or make a list, so I will  just ramble. I pretty much agree with Spongebob and how it got worse, but the first few seasons were great. I really liked Avatar: The Last Airbender and also liked parts of Korra, but the latter had a noticeable decline from its predecessor. The original Teen Titans was good. I watched parts of Invader Zim and what I saw of it was good. Ren and Stimpy was pretty good, but I watched it recently and watched the adult comedy version, which was funny. The new series I picked up, Bravest Warriors, actually has a good plot and its actually a good series. Samurai Jack was also very good.

#6 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:40 PM

typical spongebob was better, followed by fanboy stuff. also stephen hillenburg may be making a return to the series, so maybe the next episode or two won't be too bad. invader zim is one of my favorite shows. ren and stimpy before it went to cartoon network was really good. i really enjoyed jonny bravo when it was still played once in awhile. and honestly i'm suprised nobody has mentioned loony toons. i don't mean the crap show that cartoon network made, but the oldschool voiced by mel blanc loony toons was just so great.

#7 JuneoftheMearkat

JuneoftheMearkat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:27 AM

typical spongebob was better, followed by fanboy stuff. also stephen hillenburg may be making a return to the series, so maybe the next episode or two won't be too bad. invader zim is one of my favorite shows. ren and stimpy before it went to cartoon network was really good. i really enjoyed jonny bravo when it was still played once in awhile. and honestly i'm suprised nobody has mentioned loony toons. i don't mean the crap show that cartoon network made, but the oldschool voiced by mel blanc loony toons was just so great.

Yeah I heard about him possibly returning! We could have a comeback sometime in the future. And yeah, Loony Toons was awesome too. They always used to show those older shows on cartoon network alongside the others (Scooby, Loony Toons, Tom and Jerry, etc.).  I wonder if they still do at all. Sometimes I think the kids of now haven't even heard of those shows XD, they aren't as prominent as they once were.

I'm too lazy to sort by individual series or make a list, so I will  just ramble. I pretty much agree with Spongebob and how it got worse, but the first few seasons were great. I really liked Avatar: The Last Airbender and also liked parts of Korra, but the latter had a noticeable decline from its predecessor. The original Teen Titans was good. I watched parts of Invader Zim and what I saw of it was good. Ren and Stimpy was pretty good, but I watched it recently and watched the adult comedy version, which was funny. The new series I picked up, Bravest Warriors, actually has a good plot and its actually a good series. Samurai Jack was also very good.

Oooo, it looks like the same style as Adventure Time, a miniseries? Speaking of newer shows, Cartoon Network has been airing some new pilots that might get picked up. Unfortunately a lot of them are... lackluster >_< but there's some potential in a few of them.

#8 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Tons of stuff, figure them out yourself.

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:30 PM

I DON'T HAVE ONE.

Actually though I wouldn't know what to say, I haven't seen any western animation in a long time. I would probably say "Avatar the Last Aribender". Or maybe "Baby Loony Toons" (it might not be called this), that was one of my favorites when I was a kid. As I said I haven't really watched cartoons since I got out of highschool, probably even before that, so I haven't watched new things such as Adventure TIme.

Posted Image
Posted Image
This won't be removed until Chile wins the World Cup - Started 24/06/12
BTW, I take map requests if anyone wants to make one XD, just send me a PM and I'll most likely accept. If you wanna see some of previous work you can visit my gallery here, I'd skip to the end because I've improved alot XD.

#9 Seraphinox

Seraphinox

Scribe of the Heavens

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,263 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:46 AM

Currently rewatching Avatar: The Last Airbender for atleast the 20th time, it's just so good.

Apart from the first half oof season 1 and all of Season 3, Korra was a huge let down and just felt rushed compared to the love and attention that the original series received.

After that I can pretty much agree with what JuneoftheMearkat put in their list. I grew up with all the same shows, I would just throw in Courage the Cowardly Dog as another good show from the Cartoon Network block.

QUOTE (The Best Matt)
"blazer posting sexy pictures.. was it tagged as blazzer?" 

QUOTE ( Oblivion)
Seraphiroth is over rated

user posted image

#10 Holy Kensai

Holy Kensai

Kaiser.

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:19 AM

Does Rick and Morty count as western animation? I've seen that plenty of times, despite not liking it. Everyone else seems to.

Older shows were mostly ReBoot, Conan the Adventurer, uh, Teenage Mutant NInja Turtles, Xmen/Spiderman/Batman the animated series. I don't know if those count as western. I'm sure everyone remembers Looney Toons, Scooby Doo, Tom and Jerry, Thunder Cats, Ducktales, and He-Man.

QUOTE (Ryrumeli)
Yeah, that is what we get. Never mess with Kensai. XD

QUOTE (badkiara103)
Who doesn't want to kill a helpless little girl.

The Holy Kensai Fan Club!
Holy Kensai Suzaku Seraph Ryoku Mankut8397 Blazer Oblivion Riadansen Caladbolg Pie

#11 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • Interests:Games and such. Anime and other stuff.

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:49 AM

Xiaolin Showdown
Oh man, I remember I used to love this show. And I always got sad cause I missed so many episodes since it came on at an odd time for me.

Anyways my absolute favorite western animation is definitely The Last Airbender. Some others are Duck Tales, Tom and Jerry, Ed Edd n' Eddy, and I remember I used to be a huuuge fan of Jimmy Neutron. Code Lyoko was an interesting show, but I never saw much of it so I only really remember it having laughable CGI and a review saying that it was surprising it got past sensors (something about people drowning and other such thing IIRC). Teen Titans was another interesting show, but I also never saw much of it. Only a couple episodes here and there.

Posted Image

Posted Image         Posted Image

#12 Knight of Argentum

Knight of Argentum

Maximus Imperator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Saepe in arcas verborum scribere obliviscor.

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:01 PM

Teen Titans was another interesting show, but I also never saw much of it. Only a couple episodes here and there.

The new series or the old series? The old series is quite good; I enjoyed watching it growing up. The new series is oddball and kind of awkward and I don't enjoy it. The same goes for Steven Universe for me, I think it's too quirky and I don't like it.

#13 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • Interests:Games and such. Anime and other stuff.

Posted 23 July 2015 - 02:15 AM

The old lol, I haven't been on Cartoon Network in forever. Yeah, TT was quality as I tended to enjoy the episodes I saw. The new one is just a bunch of punchlines and it just doesn't work especially since it used to be a quality show.

Posted Image

Posted Image         Posted Image

#14 JuneoftheMearkat

JuneoftheMearkat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:16 AM

Does Rick and Morty count as western animation? I've seen that plenty of times, despite not liking it. Everyone else seems to.

Older shows were mostly ReBoot, Conan the Adventurer, uh, Teenage Mutant NInja Turtles, Xmen/Spiderman/Batman the animated series. I don't know if those count as western. I'm sure everyone remembers Looney Toons, Scooby Doo, Tom and Jerry, Thunder Cats, Ducktales, and He-Man.

I remember a bunch of my friends wanted to get together and put on showings of ReBoot at my college, but I never got to see much of it. It came out when I was a really little kid (as did the superhero animated series listed here), so it wasn't on the radar at the time, which is too bad. The most I know about them is what I saw from Channel Awesome reviewers. And yeah, Rick and Morty totally counts! As do other comedy shows like Futurama/Simpsons/Family Guy etc. (I actually really like Futurama, I'd stick that on the list too).

The new series or the old series? The old series is quite good; I enjoyed watching it growing up. The new series is oddball and kind of awkward and I don't enjoy it. The same goes for Steven Universe for me, I think it's too quirky and I don't like it.

Having just very recently caught up to the most recent episodes of Steven Universe, I can totally see where you're coming from (I thought it was kind of awkward and weird in the beginning too, some of the writing seemed really strange and overdone), but can safely say the show gets A LOT better once it hits the mid-season 1 finale. By then the world-building aspects kick in and we actually get to learn more about the backstory of the main cast and future buildup to the incoming conflict. It still does give off a bit of that "quirky" feeling once in a while and is definitely not for everyone (no show is), but if someone is looking to try a newer animated cartoon, I'd give it a thumbs up.

We shall not speak of Teen Titans Go XD.

#15 Holy Kensai

Holy Kensai

Kaiser.

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:28 AM

I remember a bunch of my friends wanted to get together and put on showings of ReBoot at my college, but I never got to see much of it. It came out when I was a really little kid (as did the superhero animated series listed here), so it wasn't on the radar at the time, which is too bad. The most I know about them is what I saw from Channel Awesome reviewers. And yeah, Rick and Morty totally counts! As do other comedy shows like Futurama/Simpsons/Family Guy etc. (I actually really like Futurama, I'd stick that on the list too).

Well, if I remember correctly they are currently in the process of rebooting Reboot.  Futurama is brilliant.

QUOTE (Ryrumeli)
Yeah, that is what we get. Never mess with Kensai. XD

QUOTE (badkiara103)
Who doesn't want to kill a helpless little girl.

The Holy Kensai Fan Club!
Holy Kensai Suzaku Seraph Ryoku Mankut8397 Blazer Oblivion Riadansen Caladbolg Pie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users