Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Fire Blazer : (15 September 2019 - 05:39 AM) I do kinda miss the days these forums were active :(
@  Ezra : (29 August 2019 - 04:14 PM) *BOX!!!*
@  kirant : (19 August 2019 - 12:49 PM) Huh. Bothammer time.
@  Elwood : (12 August 2019 - 05:57 AM) Oh, new posts! ...And it's bots. Kinda nostalgic actually.
@  xcrash1998 : (22 June 2019 - 09:24 PM) (Brushes dust of the Shoutbox)
@  Elwood : (17 June 2019 - 06:14 AM) *tumbleweed*
@  Lucina : (16 June 2019 - 09:19 AM) Whew. I haven't been here in forever.
@  Cero : (11 June 2019 - 06:51 PM) oof
@  kirant : (01 June 2019 - 05:54 PM) f
@  Fire Blazer : (30 May 2019 - 03:01 AM) rip
@  Valke : (29 May 2019 - 08:20 AM) bruh i deleted my discord a few months ago,,,,
@  Fire Blazer : (28 May 2019 - 01:59 AM) glad ur alive. join our Discord
@  Fire Blazer : (28 May 2019 - 01:59 AM) yo
@  Valke : (25 May 2019 - 03:08 PM) im alive, college finally gave me breaks (coupled with a few assignments i need to turn next week)
@  Valke : (25 May 2019 - 03:07 PM) hi
@  Valke : (25 May 2019 - 03:07 PM) guys
@  Fire Blazer : (25 March 2019 - 10:43 PM) how things have changed
@  Elwood : (12 March 2019 - 08:31 AM) (a sigh somewhere between small and large)
@  kirant : (12 March 2019 - 05:40 AM) (larger sigh)
@  Fire Blazer : (11 March 2019 - 08:49 PM) (small sigh)

Photo

Theism-Gnosticism

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:27 AM

Personally, I'm an atheist...though I'm quite undecided at heart in some manners (there is no smoking gun in either direction IMO). However, recent events have gotten me thinking about describing myself in two conditions (mostly noticing more people who are willing to believe both sides...and the extremes of both sides hitting the news). Another forum-goer described it best in an theist-gnostic "map" (personally):
Atheism is a statement about belief. Agnosticism is a statement about knowledge. Knowledge and belief are not the same thing. Belief can be informed by knowledge, but it doesn't have to be.

So an atheist agnostic would say that they do not believe there are god(s), and does not know there are god(s) (or thinks the premise of god(s) is inherently unknowable, weak vs strong agnosticism).

An atheist gnostic would say they believe the god of the Bible (for example) does not exist, and they know he does not exist because of whatever reasons they feel inform their knowledge (logical contradictions, positive evidence to the contrary, etc).

A theistic agnostic would say they do believe there are god(s), but that they do not know / do not have knowledge (or cannot know/prove) that god(s) exist.

A theistic gnostic would say they believe there are god(s), and that they know / have knowledge that demonstrates that god(s) exist.

Where do you stand on there?
- Signed, an atheist agnostic.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#2 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:22 PM

I guess I'd be a theist agnostic, although accurately I'm pretty old school deist.
vClickv
>click>user posted image<click<
^Click^

Stef's the name and...that's all I got.

#3 Esege Malan

Esege Malan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:04 AM

I am non-theist agnostic (Same as Atheist Agnostic, but I've always heard it in this way). I have read the Bible from cover to cover three times and I, without any doubt, do not believe that the Judeo-Christian God is real. However, I have not done much research into Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Confucianism or any other religion that I have forgot to mention. So, I can not say that no god is real. Then there is always personal gods and so forth. I can say I have never felt anything I would consider spiritual. I can also say that I do not believe that man is much different from other pack society mammals. What I have concluded from much research in to human physiology is that it can usually be explained through animal instincts. If you disagree, do some research in to wolves. Their society is very much like our own and their instincts work very much like our conscience. However, not every religion has humans as the "chosen animal". So, that does not refute religions that say all animals or living things have a spiritual aspect.
So, I am non-theist agnostic until I have disproved (to myself) that every god is false or prove that a god is true. I agree that an Atheist who has not done so is just as fault as a Christian who has never read the Bible. (Which disgusts me.)
I was sent here by Dath.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users