Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Guide & Tutorial Requests

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:50 PM

This topic is for members to request a guide, tutorial, notes, or some other type of informative thing to help them with Fire Emblem Editing/Hacking.

Be nice, request what you want done with the necessary details, maybe even tell why it would be useful, whether it needs images or not, any other misc. details.

Example:

Requester: Is there a tutorial for music hacking? I haven't seen one... I'd really appreciate one. Thanks.

Responder 1: There actually is a tutorial already. *links*

Responder 2: No, we don't have one yet. I know how to do that though, I'll try and write something up over this weekend. Any specifics I should know about?

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#2 Ryrumeli

Ryrumeli

Hit by a meteor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Location:Inside a giant Mecha, fighting monsters in your city.

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:56 PM

This is a very good idea, and a helpful thing for our hacking section. I greatly recommend this topic to be pinned, for the sake of the future of our hacking section. ^___^

If there is the need for any guide that isn't, in my personal field of expertise, I know I would be interested to help. wink.gif
user posted image
QUOTE (Akaihinata)
No Grey you have gay needs

QUOTE (Holy Kensai)
BECAUSE HE CAN CREATE ALL LIFE AND ALL EXISTANCE, BUT HE NEEDS YOUR MONEY!

#3 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:00 PM

Pinned because I had planned on it because it's a pretty important topic IMO... We'll see how this idea of yours works out, Ryru...

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#4 Ryrumeli

Ryrumeli

Hit by a meteor

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:53 AM

Oh boy, the pressure. >___< Anyways, I will be sure to list all fields regarding FE hacking I can remember, and we can briefly see what major areas lack tutorials.

A.S. I went extra in-depth in some fields, just so we can analyze it pretty well. Some of the things I listed aren't needed for hacking.

Structural hacking:

-> (Assembly)ASM
- Mneumonics and Endian
- Debugging(Basic debbuging with NL's guide)
- Dumping

-> Patching
- IPS
- UPS
- XDelta

-> Compression

-- LZZ7
- Theory
- Practice

-- Huffman
-Theory
-Practice

-> Hex Editing
- Theory on Hex
- How to use a Hex Editor
- How to find things in a file
- How to find empty space
- Pointers

-> GBA Hardware Information(GBATek)

Graphical Hacking:
-> TSAs
- Editing TSAs
- Making TSAs

-> OAM

-> Palettes
- Uncompressed
- Compressed

-> Inserting Graphics
- CGs
- Backgrounds
- Battle Sprites(Both manual and FEditor)
- Map Sprites(Or existed, until a small while ago)
- Maps
- Mugshots(Both manual and FEditor)
- Handling Compressed Images

Music Hacking:
-> Inserting Music
- Ripping music and re-inserting
- Inserting MIDI®s

-> Sounds and Voicegroups(Should exist in the pokehacking community)
- Ripping sounds
- Inserting Sounds
- Working with Voicegroups

Text Hacking:
-> Text Suite
- How to use
- Commands

-> FEditor(Anti-Huffman)
- How to use
- Commands
- Patch-only usage info

Gameplay Hacking:
-> Nightmare and Related
- How to use
- Assigning Palettes
- Altering Attributes
- Altering Classes
- Altering Unit Graphics
- Altering Maps
- Altering a Chapter's Events
- Altering a Chapter's Units
- Altering Unit Placement and Numbers(Or atleast there was)
- Altering ...
- Creating Nightmare Modules

-> Events
- Event Assembling
- How to use the assembler
- Script Structure
- Commands
- Examples(On Event Assembler's topic)
- Hex Editing of Events(Lacking in FE8 IMO)

Underline = Wiki or some source which is google-able.

Striketrough = With guides which cover that.

P.S. Anything you want to add or remove, feel free. This is only for debate sake. I say we debate this tier list. XD
user posted image
QUOTE (Akaihinata)

QUOTE (Holy Kensai)

#5 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:09 AM

Tier list? Debate? You wanna elaborate on that, because I don't really get it... haha.

Anyway nice list, mind if I edit it and whatnot?

Also I think you should actually bother linking to some of those guides because I don't know of any guides or tutorials on a lot of these subjects.

I also have some things to add and once I get a list that is nice and complete and detailed IMO, I will start making guides/tutorials as necessary.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#6 Ryrumeli

Ryrumeli

Hit by a meteor

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:15 AM

Nah, Tier list just in a joke. XD It is just, I wanted to see if this list is working for us to use. So "debate" and "tier-list" are just references this baby can use some popular nit-picking. wink.gif

And yesh. You can use and edit it as you want, that is the reason why I made it to begin with, worry not. XD

And really? Many things I pointed out here don't have tutorials on them per see, but instead are mentioned in working ways on more complete guides we own. This list is mostly based on FEU, FEShrine, and that old FE hacking Forum whose's name slipped away from my mind. XD

Some underlines there I can't give you the guide now, all I can say is that it does exist(Since those fields are generic enough to work in any GBA game, not only FE. XD)

The ASM ones, in special, mneumonics and bios routines are mentioned in GBATek. And also, ASM is ASM, so googling ASM + Tutorial is enough to find anything. XD *Trying to learn some ASM now by watching Super Mario World Hackers, for example*

Want some documentation I have on it? I should have a few cheat lists for mneumonics, a good enough guide I found at a pokemon hacking site, and some hardware guides.(Amazingly, GBATek >>> Nintendo's official GBA hardware manual XD)

And personally, if there is a guide I would want now... Something on voicegrouups. That is the field I am the most curious about. *Just sharing something to start out*
user posted image
QUOTE (Akaihinata)

QUOTE (Holy Kensai)

#7 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:27 PM

"voicegroups", I much prefer the term "Instrument Map" or "Sample Groups" or "Samples Map" or something (preferably Instrument Map because the others aren't really used by anyone)

I'll get on that, what other things should I make guides for? I just want to knock them all out and quick...

EDIT: Time to tear apart that list. Sorta.

ASM-

NL's debugging tutorial isn't very elaborate, in fact it's more of a walkthrough on how to do a specific example of debugging, more details on debugging is necessary IMO, also you misspelled the word in your list.

Patching-

We need to get standard tutorials for IPS, UPS, and XDelta patching, both creating and applying them, so far we have tutorials in various hacks and other stuff but we need to make like... a final version, sorta.

Compression-

What do you mean by theory and practice? Also why not an explanation of compressions in general? Also, what happened to explaining uncompressed data? And what about RLE's? Missing some aspects there.

Hex Editing-

Once again, what do you mean by theory? Also we need to establish a unified hex editing tutorial instead of bits and pieces of people learning hex editing from various places. Also there are quite a few more parts to hex editing than what you have...

TSAs-

Although there is your "guide" of sorts and random notes here and there and Kate's stuff... we need a really good guide on it to explain what it is, how it works, how each part of it works, what is its significance in hacking, there are a lot more aspects and an in-depth guide on editing is needed before I consider it "complete". As for making, I myself, am not sure how to make TSAs, never bothered, although in theory it shouldn't be too hard. I don't really care enough to go try and find out how to make maps/TSAs, I don't think it is useful enough information and besides, Xeld is making a program to make TSAs anyway.

OAM-

I got nothing to say on this.

Palettes-

Links to tutorials? What about covering how palettes work in combination with TSAs? Also, information on palette viewer, limits of palettes, RGB, reducing # of colors, etc.?

Inserting Graphics-

Pros and cons of various programs? What is capable and what isn't? List of offsets for graphics or offset ranges for graphics? ALso, I don't know of tutorials for most of the things on that list except for portraits, I know there are tutorials for portraits... :\

Music Hacking-

I obviously covered some of it, although at some point I'm going to need to update my tutorial on inserting custom MIDIs, and update it with new parts on instrument maps, WAVs, ripping songs from other GBA games and inserting them, etc., I haven't gotten to that stuff unfortunately...

I guess I could end up covering all of the music hacking area once I get the time, including both insertion and sounds and instrument maps and stuff...

Nightmare & Related-

I don't completely get what you mean by this, and the subcategories are vague to me and I don't get them... I can't write guides on stuff I don't get. Altering events? Isn't that the Event Assembler's job? And isn't editing graphics under the Graphical Hacking area?

Event Assembling-

I don't get the general term of "Event Assembling" under this category, IIRC commands don't have enough explanations for them and how they work but then again I don't care, I like having the advantage of fully understanding everything I'm doing when I make events... makes my events superior to everyone elses...

There done...

-------------------------

What about battle animations and spell animations? I don't recall seeing those there. Amazingly enough I think most everything else is accounted for (besides specific details for hex editing and ASM and stuff, e.g. a guide on how to corrupt ROMs or making use of VBA and its capabilities) so good job with listing everything and getting all that detail there. biggrin.gif

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#8 Old_Man_Zangetu

Old_Man_Zangetu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Vid games and girls XP<br><br>Ill update this later

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:20 AM

I sorta need an easier to use (yet-in depth guide) on how to make Events. Thats really the only part I need any sort of major help on at this point, and I havent found one that helps me enough. :/
Guess Who It Is?
user posted image

#9 shadowofchaos

shadowofchaos

??????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE (Old_Man_Zangetu @ February 18, 2010 05:20 pm)
I sorta need an easier to use (yet-in depth guide) on how to make Events. Thats really the only part I need any sort of major help on at this point, and I havent found one that helps me enough. :/

Arch's guide will be the easiest one you can find around...

IMHO at least...

The others have custom event tutorials through pure hex editing... which Blazer does I believe...
user posted image

#10 Old_Man_Zangetu

Old_Man_Zangetu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Vid games and girls XP<br><br>Ill update this later

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:53 AM

Well I found a guide that linked to it. But it didnt work. :/
Guess Who It Is?
user posted image

#11 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:38 AM

http://www.feunivers...?showtopic=4742

There is a small tutorial on event editing using a hex editor made by Icy Toast. However it only teaches the very basics and was made a very long time ago. Also the EA (Event Assembler) is preferable over using a hex editor.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#12 Haku

Haku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:52 PM

Hi!

Is there a hack or mod to a Fe7 rom that will allow Merlinus to have infinite storage place? I've been looking around for one, yet haven't been able to find anything. Thanks!

#13 Ryrumeli

Ryrumeli

Hit by a meteor

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:41 PM

Infinite storage space? ...you see, the problem with the term infinite, is that something like a list of things to be put in the memory slot, it needs to be stored somewhere, so infinite slots in a finite space is something tricky.

So yeah, I don't have any idea of how the memory is used for the merchant, but if it is as the rumors said it, the space for memory in the FE rom is indeed limited, it is somewhat tight to increase it a bit, let alone in an infinite way. ...sorry I can't give you a better answer than "Most likely impossible/More trouble than it is worthy" >__<
user posted image
QUOTE (Akaihinata)

QUOTE (Holy Kensai)

#14 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:34 PM

^^No there isn't an already made patch or mod, Haku. Infinite space is impossible anyway. Even a big amount (like say 1,000 items instead of 200) hasn't been done and can't be done without huge hacking. sad.gif

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#15 Zeldaicflame

Zeldaicflame

Mage Fighter

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:52 AM

I was wondering if there was a tutorial about custom statsheets (with items, supports, weapon levels and stats).

I was also wondering if there was a tutorial on have custom battle things (where HP, name, hit%, Dmg and crit are seen).

Thanks.

#16 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:30 PM

Custom battle things? You mean like a custom battle template?

For custom statsheets, umm, you can't really change how it is set up without ASM and tile hacking (complex stuff, I know I can't do it). You can change any of the existing stats though, but that's just using Nightmare.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#17 Lord Glenn

Lord Glenn

Planning Dynamo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Computers, gaming, Fire Emblem, spriting

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:46 PM

They might be referring to the process of inserting the templates, not necessarily altering what they display.
user posted image
Hopefully the final FE4R template.
Credit to Black Dragon of FESS for the avatar.

FE404 and FE:ASD patches can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/MK404/ (not working ATM)
Currently working on:
Fire Emblem: A Sacred Dawn - Planning
MageKnight404's Fire Emblem 7 Hack - Support Converstations, Other Duties

#18 Zeldaicflame

Zeldaicflame

Mage Fighter

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:17 AM

Yeah, custom battle template.

And Lord Glenn is right, just changing the template, not the whole sheet.

#19 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:22 AM

Oh I see. Well perhaps Ryru could do a tut on that. Which game are you looking to edit? They kinda work differently. FE7's graphics are a lot more spread out, IIRC.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#20 Zeldaicflame

Zeldaicflame

Mage Fighter

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:08 PM

Both fe7 and fe8 would be awesome, but I'm currently only editing fe7 however I do want to try some things in fe8. I'm not planning on ever doing fe6.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users