Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Mashed Potato

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Candy

Candy

Bishoujo Senshi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:39 PM

*emerges from the abyss*

It's 11:38 PM here, do you think it's too late to make mashed potato?

*disappears again for 6 months*

#2 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:41 PM

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#3 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:40 AM

i don't think it's ever too late to make mashed potatoes. unless you don't want to take the time to boil potatoes in which case i would suggest grabbing some instant mashed potatoes at the store for the next time you want them. actually i think that i saw some individual servings of mashed potatoes in little cups last time i went shopping. not a bad idea tbh.

#4 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:56 AM

well the question I'd ask myself is... would mashed potatoes keep me up? aren't those like... carbs?

a quick google suggests no

meaning I can't think of any other reason not to eat mashed potatoes

speaking of which, I haven't had them in a while, I could kind of go for some mashed potatoes. and some mac & cheese. (unrelated really, just another boiled food of sorts I haven't had in a while...)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#5 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:37 AM

well the question I'd ask myself is... would mashed potatoes keep me up? aren't those like... carbs?

a quick google suggests no

Not in the sense that I imagine you're thinking.  Potatoes contain fairly complex carbohydrates.  The type you'd find in typically unrefined "carbs".  Those burn much slower as they take time for your body to break up.  As such, it doesn't give you the instant kick of energy you imagine sugar gives.

Further past that, refined sugar doesn't have that effect either.  It's actually extremely difficult to create the sugar high you are thinking of.  The best I've heard is that this association is psychological after recalling all the high energy children at parties who "crash" after. 

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#6 Golden Warrior

Golden Warrior

Good as Gold!

• Members
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:Video games, reading, writing, and other such creative things.

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:55 AM

I came here expecting jokes, not a serious conversation about the nutrition of mashed potatoes. I do love mashed potatoes though. Suddenly I want to eat some. 

Got Pokemon X/Y or OR/AS? Battle me! Or trade with me... Trading is cool too.
3DS FC: 5300-9087-1138 (PM me if you add me so I know to add you back.)

Have Smash Bros for Wii U? Battle me there too! 

Nintendo Network ID: GoldenWarriorX (No need to notify me in this case, it will.)

#7 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:54 PM

i never joke about mashed potatoes

#8 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:34 AM

Not in the sense that I imagine you're thinking.  Potatoes contain fairly complex carbohydrates.  The type you'd find in typically unrefined "carbs".  Those burn much slower as they take time for your body to break up.  As such, it doesn't give you the instant kick of energy you imagine sugar gives.

Further past that, refined sugar doesn't have that effect either.  It's actually extremely difficult to create the sugar high you are thinking of.  The best I've heard is that this association is psychological after recalling all the high energy children at parties who "crash" after. 

SUPER late response, but thanks for the explanation

however, I was not thinking of a sugar high or anything, IIRC sugar didn't even come to my mind. I just remember hearing (maybe on multiple occasions, I can't remember when/where) that if you eat carbs it will keep you up at night. I have no real thoughts on the logic behind that or why that is, and I'm too lazy to fact-check. maybe I read it online. *shrugs*

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users