Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

The Ultimate Tutorial [V2]

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:39 PM

Anyone remember that old tutorial called the "Ultimate Tutorial" I made a few years ago that was supposed to be the end-all to Fire Emblem hacking tutorials?

Well, I restarted it some time ago, from scratch, although I admit I did borrow some parts of the tutorial from other tutorials. Anyhow, it now covers tons more stuff, including a majority of the Nightmare Modules, graphics, maps, and events. It is not complete yet, but it is over 180 pages ATM and I'm a bit tired of writing--hopefully you can see that 180+ pages for a tutorial is quite a lot.

I must warn you that this tutorial is highly detailed. Like, exceptionally detailed. In addition, it uses a lot of text, but I use screenshots where they are helpful or needed--not when they are near useless.

Also, this tutorial is Fire Emblem 7 oriented. I warned you. I don't cover all of the FE6/8 Nightmare modules, event codes, and other stuff, and my examples pretty much always use FE7. This is because I am most familiar with FE7 and some of the stuff is FE7-only.

Despite this, I am confident that people will make use of my knowledge and no longer have reason to ask silly questions. Of course, if they do, I'll simply link them to my website or the tutorial. tongue.gif

With that said and done...

Ultimate Tutorial [Online Version]

Ultimate Tutorial [DOC]
Ultimate Tutorial [PDF]

happy.gif

Update Log (Click Here To Hide/Show Text)
July 8th, 2010 – I’ve remade the tutorial from near scratch (but included parts of former tutorials as well).
August 19th, 2010 – Updates, added more chapters (sorry, I forgot to record which things I updated).
February 19th, 2011 – More updates/chapters (see above).
November 6th, 2011 – Chapter 26 has been slightly updated. Chapter 45 and the Epilogue have been majorly updated. Added new JFP patching chapter, and renumbered chapters past it accordingly. Started and finished IPS, UPS, JFP, and XDelta patching chapters, as well as the Nightmare Module Format chapter. Also revised chapters 72, 73, and the final chapter. Only chapters 59-61 remain, which will most likely be finished in the next update.
November 7th, 2011 – Finished chapters 60 on weapon icons and 61 on map sprites in one fell swoop. Then, after several hours, finished chapter 59 on custom spell animations. This means that the tutorial is now complete—all chapters are finished. Any future updates will likely only be revisions, adding small details, updates, and adding more information to the archive chapter, chapter 72. Thanks for reading and waiting so long for this tutorial’s completion. I hope it helps many people make awesome hacks! - Blazer

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#2 Bobryk

Bobryk

;/

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Interests:Brunettes<br>Being awesome<br>Meat products

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:33 AM

YES. Maybe now I can actually understand nightmare and other hacking things. The simplest things in Nightmare and text editors make my head explode, so maybe this will help XD

I'll definitely look at this at some point when I have lots of free time.
user posted image

#3 someonewhodied

someonewhodied

?The Legit Hacker?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Smash Bros Brawl<br><br>Hacking<br><br>Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time<br><br>Tales of Symphonia<br><br>Mario Kart Wii

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:54 AM

Wonderful Job *claps*

too bad i only hack DS and WII lol...so this doesn't help me much...but good job...
-insert signature here-

#4 colin345

colin345

Great Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Drama, FE, Shakespeare, computer stuff, rock climbing, video games in general (mainly shooters)

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:45 AM

Is there a reason that I can't download the pdf? All that happens is a blank page appears (using chrome), the screen flashes, and then nothing. the DOC works fine, but I prefer pdf...

Thanks though, this should help a bit with the more complicated stuff (hopefully)
user posted image

"My High School girlfriend recently told me that I kiss like a stroke victim, which is weird that she has like that frame of reference you know? But you know I stopped and thought, you know, 'What would Jesus do?' so I didn't exist.

Just kidding, I took her out to dinner, ordered the bread, and told her to eat me."

-Bo Burnham

#5 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:57 AM

No, there's no specific reason why it doesn't work. If you really want a PDF, you can save the DOC as a PDF using MS Word. Just do File-> Save as, and look for the PDF format somewhere (it shouldn't be too hard to find).

When it's just about 100% complete I'll make a webpage for it so that it doesn't have to be 'downloaded' in a sense.

Thanks for the other comments, I hope it is useful, although @someonewhodied, there's little point in posting if you aren't going to actually use it... D:

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#6 Zeldaicflame

Zeldaicflame

Mage Fighter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:26 AM

Ahhh the awesomeness. I simply must read all of it.

EDIT: All 68 Chapters of it. O.O

#7 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:36 AM

Not all *70 chapters are done. (You forgot to include the prologue and final chapter tongue.gif)

And just reading it won't do any good. When you want to do something, you look it up and follow the tutorial to do it. Just reading it randomly is somewhat of a waste IMO.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#8 Ryrumeli

Ryrumeli

Hit by a meteor

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • Location:Inside a giant Mecha, fighting monsters in your city.

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:39 AM

Blazer, I don't have words to say about this. Thank you for making such an amazing guide, this is just...epic, maybe it is in the last years of one of the biggest contributions to FE hacking. In fact, in all time.

This compendium turns the whole activity of FEhacking something understandable even for someone which wasn't present in this whole process of learning FE hacking. ...seriously, if it existed while I was starting... I wished it did. ...and I think every hacker today did too.

So what else can I do other than to congratulate you? I could even give you money for such an achievement. ...the only honorable thing I can do now is one.

*Bows down respectfully for your work in this* For me and for everyone else in this community, I salute you. smile.gif
user posted image
QUOTE (Akaihinata)
No Grey you have gay needs

QUOTE (Holy Kensai)
BECAUSE HE CAN CREATE ALL LIFE AND ALL EXISTANCE, BUT HE NEEDS YOUR MONEY!

#9 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:42 AM

Eh, no need to bow. But I appreciate the thanks. And I would've liked to do this sooner, but... you know how it is. tongue.gif

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#10 Zeldaicflame

Zeldaicflame

Mage Fighter

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (Blazer @ Jul 9 2010, 02:36 PM)
Not all *70 chapters are done. (You forgot to include the prologue and final chapter tongue.gif)

And just reading it won't do any good. When you want to do something, you look it up and follow the tutorial to do it. Just reading it randomly is somewhat of a waste IMO.

Well, I tend to read a lot. Then usually i remember where i found such information.

But of course i downloaded it and already have used the music hacking parts of it.
I also plan to use it to try various other bits and pieces.

I was really looking forward to the last few chapters, but i guess it can wait.

It's very long and awesome by the way. More congrats.

#11 Rujio

Rujio

I eat Axel

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

Wow, thanks a ton Blazer. I always wanted to get into FE hacking, but with all of the tutorials all over the place, it was really difficult to find them and then getting the different things to work together. This is awesome.
?????????
???????
There, katakana. Happy?
Bobryk -- holy crap I look away for two seconds and I have knots all up in my shit

#12 shadowofchaos

shadowofchaos

??????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:21 PM

Holy mother of crap...

Congrats... just congrats on making such document of your hacking knowledge.

Seriously, I don't know whether to worship you or call you crazy

Quite a project man... I applaud you for such an achievement of revamping that old tutorial...
user posted image

#13 Lord Glenn

Lord Glenn

Planning Dynamo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Computers, gaming, Fire Emblem, spriting

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

I don't know if I myself will actually use it (since, I'm more of a planning kind of guy), but holy crap. I'm impressed by the fact that you cranked this out and the fact that you're putting the information out there to help anyone that wants to get involved in FE hacking.

*twothumbsup*

Thanks for the dedication to the community, Blazer.
user posted image
Hopefully the final FE4R template.
Credit to Black Dragon of FESS for the avatar.

FE404 and FE:ASD patches can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/MK404/ (not working ATM)
Currently working on:
Fire Emblem: A Sacred Dawn - Planning
MageKnight404's Fire Emblem 7 Hack - Support Converstations, Other Duties

#14 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

@Zeldaicflame ah i see. Well, I'm sure that could be useful, but then again... I still wouldn't want to read that many pages D:

@Rujio yeah I know what you mean. Plus a lot of topics weren't covered, and sometimes even simple topics like how to use Nightmare Modules weren't really covered (the last tutorial I saw on that was Arch's tutorial from like 2 years ago).

@Shadowofchaos I'd appreciate if you didn't do either. LOL

As cool as the old tutorial was, it wasn't half as massive as this one... and even now I still can't include everything I know because it's hard to "teach" someone how to use their brain to do stuff like bugfixing and figuring out how to do stuff on their own. XD

@LG yeah I'm big on making it easy for people to learn FE hacking... Tactics Universe is like an ultimate showcase of what can be done, my site is like an archive of hacking utilities, and this tutorial is a guide on how to hack. XD

And thanks to everyone for appreciating all the hard work I put in. I just hope some awesome hacks come to fruition with the help of this.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#15 Xkoncept2323

Xkoncept2323

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

what about map sprite importing, no tutorial i have seen has said anything about that, and i cant figure out how to do it. BTW blazer thanks, now i constantly dont have to be searching for different tutorials in different sites.

#16 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:57 PM

Map sprites work like any other GBAGE graphics. Go through some of the graphic editing chapters and you'll get it.

I guess I could add a chapter on it anyway though. :\

Things to Add/Update:

- Finish current chapters
- Edit map chapter
- Update event chapter with diassembling guide
- Add map sprite tutorial chapter
- Add weapon icon chapter

EDIT:

- How to expand a ROM

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#17 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:40 AM

Bumpdate.

I have revamped the event chapters, fixing macros, adding more, and commenting my entire event script so that people can see what is what and what does what and how it works even more clearly. I also thoroughly detailed scripted battles for Fire Emblem 7 and updated some other stuff, as well as changed the numbering because I came up with ideas for more chapters, such as a chapter on how to betatest a hack properly to prevent lots of problems when releasing hacks.

happy.gif

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#18 Ezra

Ezra

ring a bell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:48 AM

that's a lot of reading, I'll skim through it for now, and then actually use it in about a week (going to Pennsylvania on Saturday so I don't have time to work on my hack using this tutorial)

But I'm glad this is here, maybe with a tutorial as long as this I can finally figure out what I'm having trouble with, thanks a million Blazer

#19 Zeldaicflame

Zeldaicflame

Mage Fighter

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:34 AM

Awesome additions, I'll be going over your event chapters again, then. XD

#20 flyingace24

flyingace24

#1 Laker Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

I have a feeling that you'll notice it here rather than at FEND, so I'll copy/paste my post from there.

[startcopypaste]
Alright no problem. I'll look through it right now since I can't sleep.

I just took a glance at the event portion. When I have time I'll take a look at the rest. I'll just comment on some stuff that you said you don't know or needs to be fixed.

First off are FE8 scripted battles. The general format is like this:
CMDS
CMDL (Side) (Damage) (Hit Flag) (Special)
CMDL (Side) (Damage) (Hit Flag) (Special)
CMDL 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF
FIG1 (Attacker) (Defender)

CMDS stands for Command Start (I would know, since I made it) and begins any sort of Command List (for which CMDL stands) and is also required. Side is for left or right (0x01 and 0x00 respectively). Damage is the amount of damage that the attack will do (0x00 will do normal damage). The Hit Flag determines whether the attack hits, misses, or criticals, which is pretty much the same as FE7. Special is for skill activation. 0x00 = Normal, 0x08 = Lethality, 0x40 = Sure Shot,0x 80 = Big Shield, 0xC0 = Pierce. Keep in mind that these are simply the effects. For example, if you have Sure Shot enabled but have the character miss, the attack will miss.
You can have multiple CMDL's and make the battle really long. I don't know the maximum you can do exactly, but I've done 7.
Anyway, once that's all done, use CMDL 0xFF etc. to signify that the list is over. And then choose either FIG1 (battle animations) or FIG2 (map battle) to start the fight.

Here is an example.
CMDS
CMDL 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
CMDL 0x01 0x00 0x01 0xC0
CMDL 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF
FIG1 Eirika Ephraim

------------------------------------------

Next off are FE8 Units.
FE8 Unit Structure
UNIT (Unit value) (Class) (Leader) (Starting Level) (Coordinates, [XX,YY]) (Flags) (Byte1) (Amount) (Reinforcement pointer) [(Item1),(Item2),(Item3),(Item4)] [(AI byte1)(AI byte2)(AI byte3)(AI byte4)]

FE8 is slightly different from FE7 and FE6, mostly notably in its coordinate and loading system. The first four bytes are exactly the same as the other two games. The Coordinates in the FE8 format function in the exact same manner as the Loading Coordinates in FE7. The flag makes some changes to the unit. As of right now, there are only two known flags. One (0x20) makes the last item droppable, and the other (not sure on value) makes the unit in the Tower/Ruins format (read Furry's tutorial for more info).

Byte 1, as of now, has no known function. Everything I've seen so far is 0x00, so we can do this as well.

The next two, Amount and Pointer, are the biggest differences in this FE8 structure. Combined, these two function in the same manner as the Starting Coordinates in FE7 as well as doing a little bit more. We will speak of the Pointer first, since it Amount will make more sense after Pointer is explained.

The Pointer points to "REinforcement DAta" which is structured like so:
REDA [X,Y] (Speed) (Rescuing character) (Delay before executing)

The [X,Y] Coordinate here functions in the same manner as the Starting Coordinate, and the unit will move here afterwards. Speed is just what you think it is. It affects how fast the unit will move (0x00 is default speed). For Rescuing Character, this byte is used for the character that RESCUES the unit. For example, in the Prologue, Eirika's Rescuing Character byte is 0x02 (which is Seth). In FE8, units are properly rescued as opposed to manipulating events in FE7. This byte is 0x00 if rescuing is not used. The time delay can be any numerical value. This will cause the game to wait a certain amount of time before making the unit move. The higher the number the longer the delay.

In FE8, the REDA's can be stacked. You can have:
REDA [1,1] 0x1 0x00 0x00
REDA [12,3] 0x5 0x00 0x20
REDA [10,4] 0x1 0x00 0x00

Thus making the unit move to multiple positions. Now we will go back to the Amount byte. This byte is simply the amount of REDA's a unit will have. In the above example, the Amount will be 0x03.

Everything else in the UNIT data (items, AI) is exactly the same as FE7.

Here is an example of how an FE8 Unit should look.

Allies:
UNIT Eirika EirikaLord 0x00 Level(1,Ally,False) [10,1] 0 0x00 0x03 EirikaMove [Rapier,Vulnerary] [0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00]
UNIT EMPTY

EirikaMove:
REDA [1,1] 0x1 0x00 0x00
REDA [12,3] 0x5 0x00 0x20
REDA [10,4] 0x1 0x00 0x00

-----------------------------------

Finally, that promote code for FE8 is not what you think it is. It is nothing like the one in FE7 (or perhaps it is, since I don't know what FE7's is like). This doesn't have the whole scene like it normally does. All it does is switch the class. That's it. In an event sequence you probably won't even notice it.

You'll probably want to reword this for the tutorial since I was a bit informal. Maybe the FE8 Unit part could be copypasted now that I look at it.

Alright, now I'm sleepy after typing all that out. Anyway, if I can make a request for the next update, I'd like to see some stuff about the video syncing.
[/copypaste]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users