Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Awakening vs. Fates?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rango

Rango

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Anime, Wrestling, Traveling.

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:57 AM

On GameFAQs, where I browed, Fates seems to be favored. Yet, the fanbase tends to relentlessly bash the plots of both to the point where arguing over it means absolutely nothing.

Otherwise, on a gameplay standpoint, which do you feel is the better game?

KmrtG7W.png

#2 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:03 PM

Awakening is an all around superior experience imo. Neither are really great though. If you want the best gameplay look to the Gba or the GC/WII games.

But to answer the question specifically...i might have to put fates above awakening in terms of only gameplay. As a whole game it's easily a piece of trash, but strictly gameplay I would put it at a 4.2 where awakening is a solid 4.

#3 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:23 PM

Awakening is superior in every aspect, IMO. The gameplay wasn't nearly as annoying, the characters were somewhat better, the story was definitely better (although still watery and inferior to 90% of the previous games) and just overall a more enjoyable experience. The fact that Awakening actually made me feel sad about characters dying for story purposes, and had me on edge near the end of the game when Grima was being revived, says something to me. Especially since Fates never actually succeeded in manipulating my emotions simply because of how nothing was handled properly. (The one time it did, it was entirely in the wrong way. Breaking my willing suspension of disbelief so hard that it could never recover.)

Although, like Zak said, the GBA/DS/GC/Wii U games are vastly superior to both in almost every area.

IUfb9Eg.png

#4 Elwood

Elwood

Crusader of Light

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:15 PM

I rarely rate games based on mechanics, usually rating based on story and or characters. But Fates did remove one of my favorite features from Awakening and that is the secondary character being able to attack when teamed up/combined. It was a way to get weaker units xp while using a strong unit as a shield. Awakening's tiny feet thing still annoys the ever living crap out of me though so Fates all the  way.

Fe-Shrine-sig.png
I will not remove this until I complete the Ritual of the Mahjarrat quest in Runescape - started 4/18/15 - completed 12/20/15

QUOTE (SmashedFish @ Jan 21 2013, 12:21 PM)  Bobryk's expertise with boobs is not to be doubted

#5 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:07 AM

Awakening was a better game in most aspects imo.

Gameplay's a coin flip - I just don't like what Fates did to it.

Story is, as my Conquest experience tells me, better in Awakening - which is worrying.

Characters...I like some of the Fates designs and character outlines, but the supports and characterisation just falls flat - and then there's the shoddy reusing old characters.

#6 Voffie

Voffie

He who might do things

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Games. Anime. More games.

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:48 AM

Awakening is better in almost every category. The only thing I like more is some of the character designs in Fates.

I despise some of the new skills that they added in Fates, such as "You can't double knights unless they have less than 50% hp" and my personal favorite to hate "Archers can counter attack from any range". The simplification of the weapon triangle into 3 colors is dull and takes away from the game, and shuriken weapon type is overpowered because they lower enemy stats which is also dull and not interesting. I'm still upset magic is all the types of magic grouped together. I miss the days of old where anima beat light, light beat dark, and dark beat anima. When we had 2 weapon triangles to worry about and archers weren't included in the weapon triangle BECAUSE THEY WERE LIMITED TO 2, SOMETIMES 3 RANGE. Also, in Fates, bows are a green weapon with most flying classes using blue or green weapons good game design, give the weapon strong against an entire type of class a weapon advantage or neutral whoo.

#7 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:52 AM

dangit I typed up a long response

and then somehow friggin' lost what I wrote by going back ughhh

aisodjiasudaoisduasiod

so upset

tl;dr Awakening > Fates with and without gameplay for me

while Fates fixed some issues with Awakening (pair-up and overly bland maps), it introduced way more stuff in the gameplay that I didn't like. I think they're both kinda bad but at least Awakening was a shallow level of fun and not stupidly frustrating. like every FE game has balance and other issues so to some extent it's fine. but Fates with its dumb weapon triangle (see what Voffie said) and ridiculous amount of skills and arbitrary buffs/debuffs and useless fluff and other crap is just asoidasudiasdaosidu, Awakening was lame but Fates was like please end this misery outside of the occasional highlight where thanks to slightly better map design and such it was actually kinda fun (but like the lows just totally outweighed the high's for me such that I barely even remember any good times :\)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#8 Voffie

Voffie

He who might do things

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Games. Anime. More games.

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:10 AM

Oh please, don't get me started on the fucking debuffing nonsense. The weapon triangle looks tame to how ridiculous some of the debuffs are. Half HP for the whole fucking map. Why. WHY. Actually why. Shurikens/knives lower way too many stats. Steel ones lower str by 3 and def/res by 4. That's 11 stats. For what? Ability to double -3? Not even SPEED MINUS 3. And shurikens themselves compared to knives are just outright better. They have mostly similar stats (Knives are slightly more accurate, 5% to be precise), but shurikens offer +2 speed for 5% accuracy.

#9 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:00 PM

Oh please, don't get me started on the fucking debuffing nonsense. The weapon triangle looks tame to how ridiculous some of the debuffs are. Half HP for the whole fucking map. Why. WHY. Actually why. Shurikens/knives lower way too many stats. Steel ones lower str by 3 and def/res by 4. That's 11 stats. For what? Ability to double -3? Not even SPEED MINUS 3. And shurikens themselves compared to knives are just outright better. They have mostly similar stats (Knives are slightly more accurate, 5% to be precise), but shurikens offer +2 speed for 5% accuracy.

yeah, the half HP thing seemed kinda ridiculous, but I tried not to think about it too much/accept it for what it is. but the more I think about it... that is indeed kinda absurd. 3/4 mighta been ok (but still kinda powerful), but 1/2 is a bit much, especially for characters that hardly have any HP to start with, lol.

the debuffs stacking can be really harsh and lame and just hard to keep up with in a sort of annoying way. there's a limit to how much advance calculation stuff I want to do, which is why I don't like bloating a game with too many skills, buffs, debuffs, etc., I prefer games that keep things relatively simple but explore the possibilities of that to the max, i.e. depth in simplicity and natural combinations (kinda like BotW, actually) rather than depth in just pure quantity of things and such, if that makes sense

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users