Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Calling all sword collectors

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:30 AM

I believe I recall Blazer and Arim saying that they do this and if anyone else happens to do so that would be nice to see. Though even if there aren't 3 people is a pretty high number in a place like this.
Spoiler
Considering that I only have two swords in possession and don't actually intend on buying more of them it may seem somewhat strange that I would even consider myself a sword collector but just these two give me enough to talk about as-is.

The first sword I bought was the British Royal Horse Guards 1832 Officer Dress Sword which at the time I had thought by far to have the best aesthetic within my preferences relative to the price, as at the time it was on sale for a little less than $150 IIRC. It was also priced in that way primarily because it was not actually a high quality production but rather a defective product that was still worth selling. 

And...to be honest, as someone who almost never goes online shopping I had mistakenly took the advertised image too seriously. I'm not claiming that the website that sells this stuff has low credibility or anything because the sword does seem to be what it's supposed to be, but the use of particularly marketable lighting and more specifically the omission of a certain angle that hides a certain feature it possesses caused me to make a purchase that was not quite as well-informed as I would have hoped it would be.
Spoiler
As you can see in the close-up photo, it looks a lot less appealing in comparison to the advertisment when in less specialized lighting conditions and it has a particular engraving in it that I really wish wasn't actually there. It looks like something I would have attempted on a whim in a college project (since I have actually engraved in silver before) rather than anything professionally done. 

Overall the sword does lack a certain elegance to it that I would have expected from the advertised image, but I really can't get mad over this because when I am both stingy and picky about what I purchase for obvious reasons my options are severely limited. I think part of the reason for why I couldn't tell how nice it would look in real life is because it had been too long since I had seen a sword in real life, which made my estimate of the actual size of the weapon quite inaccurate.

One serious issue I do have is that the guard appears to only be brass plated rather than fully made of brass because trying to sand off a particularly oxidized place revealed to me that it was colored silver beneath. Why they actually did this I do not know as brass is not a particularly expensive material from what I can remember.

For all its problems though, which should be expected from a cheap sword, the blade etchings are better than I would have expected them to be, with little that can be said to be crude about it.  If I recall correctly in jewelry class there was this one indian girl who told me engraving is all the rage back in her home country and I would presume the similarities in the purpose of etching and engraving explains why the company(based in India) that manufactures this stuff can afford to do so and sell their swords at a fairly low price alongside criminally underpaid workers and for all I know outright slave labor.

This sword has no optimization whatsoever for actual use and the size of the handle truly taught me what it meant for a sword to be one-handed. Both because I only do minimal exercise and because the sword was not balanced for use as a weapon, not being able to reliably two-hand this makes it impossible for me to use it without very awkward movements unless I hold it in reverse grip(far less pressure on the wrist), which it was obviously not intended for as my knuckles are exposed with the direction the guard faces if I do so. The reverse grip does have an advantage in that it decreases the range of the weapon, making it less difficult to use inside my house against thieves and date rapists should the need arise, though I seriously doubt the latter is ever going to happen again as I rarely leave the house(or start unnecessary relationships in real life to begin with) or let others in now. It also just feels less natural to use it that way which is a very important factor given that I do not actually know any specific techniques for striking someone with a real sword outside of using my body's momentum to get as much force out of it as I can.

The second sword I bought is the British Midshipman's Dirk for $120 (same conditions as the first, defective product for a lower price) and I made this choice mostly because of my experience with the first purchase. I bought this sword because it felt awkward having only one sword on a three sword stand (which was an old gift from someone who didn't realize I did not actually possess any swords at the time), because of the contrast it had with the first sword with the white rayskin handle and the black scabbard, because I had actually used this type of sword before in an MMO where getting a better weapon than the default was both fairly difficult and not particularly beneficial, and because if it was going to be poorly balanced and heavier than it should be anyway a short weapon would suffer a lot less from the drawbacks and be significantly preferable for use at home in situations where I should defend myself against someone in my home with non-lethal violence.

Originally I was the type of person who would prefer a gun for home defense simply for its high effectiveness but guns have their drawbacks for situational reasons. It is far less accurate than a close range weapon if actually shot in the dark and the mere presence of it being there even if I don't actually fire it increases the seriousness of the situation extremely, meaning things could get a whole lot more dangerous than they should. It is also extremely difficult to give a justification for using it to society if I were to threaten someone I know, that entered my house with some level of permission, that does not intend to do a crime that warrants retaliation with the use of an extremely deadly object. There is no way in hell I am getting away with claiming I used a weapon as particular as a gun (outside of using it as a blunt weapon) without deadly intent. The sound of firing alone makes you far more suspicious to anyone in the neighborhood that doesn't know what is going on; alongside bullets, blood, and corpses, there are just too many social consequences in any case I am not facing someone who is straight up intent on assassination and full of incriminating evidence.

However, because I do not possess much strength, having a fairly long, blunt, durable steel object that was designed to be comfortable for the wielder to hold but not particularly inciting for an enemy to grab (it still looks like a blade, grabbing onto it is not an intuitive thought) gives me a sufficient advantage over anybody that has less reach, which should be the case almost every time outside of ranged weapons like guns. It being an ornate sword in the first place probably makes it less threatening but considering the rarity of the situation I don't think I should buy one for practical use only.

I have also tried using the former sword with half-swording, however this significantly reduces the range of my weapon for obvious reasons and significantly limits what I can actually do with it. It also tells people that you can, in fact, grab the blade. I have also tried using the sword inside of the steel scabbard, but this makes it particularly heavy and the weight distribution either favors trying to use it backwards which is not a particularly great idea with this specific kind of weapon or if I try to use pretend to use it like I'm half-swording the weight distribution is just way too awkward to use effectively, in both situations the weight simply makes striking with it far too slow. The scabbard alone can be used as a relatively efficient bludgeon but it is hollow and can presumably be dented with too much force and is obviously the easiest thing to grab. It also loses the advantage of the point of the sword which, while not sharp, still allows for very concentrated force in one location.

Anyway, onto the actual sword.

When I looked at the advertised images, there was a certain feature that I thought would persistently annoy me, those being the acorn-like ends of the guard. However, to my surprise, when the dirk arrived it was even smaller than I had expected it to be (cameras just make everything look bigger I guess) which minimizes how clearly I can recognize its details and the S-like curve looks much better as well. The brass of the sword also appears much less crudely shaped than the first and to my surprise the handle, in spite of rayskin being harder than I thought it would be, alongside all its bumps and the like, is not actually that uncomfortable. One thing I am somewhat puzzled by though is how snugly the hilt fits onto my hand, specifically when my hand is raised to the bottom of the guard. It seems like something anyone with big hands would have a lot of trouble trying to use.

The crown over the anchor symbol on the guard (which I presume is the symbol of the Royal Navy) is part of the reason I bought the sword in the first place, and I'm very glad it looks about as nice as it was advertised. I'm not sure why, but there's something about swords that were used in naval combat that appeal to me a lot more than ones that were meant for land. On that note, I must say that the length is incredibly well-suited to combat use indoors (it was meant to be used in a ship after all) and that I have a much higher appreciation for shorter weapons as a result of actual experience handling something like this, though I still have a hard time actually finding knives and daggers cool.

As expected, while the weight of the sword is probably heavier than it should be and not balanced that well, it is far lighter than the previous sword (which, I should mention, is an exceptionally long one-handed sword at over 39 inches of blade) and I can actually swing it with so little encumbrance that the speed is more or less equal to how quickly I can swing a fruit knife. It is a little more tiring, but the force behind it when I wield it certainly makes me feel fairly confident in the weapon. The exception, however, is when I am trying to thrust with it, which I can't really seem to do very well unless I switch to reverse grip (and that only applies to striking directly below me) but whether this is because I lack the technique or if it just wasn't meant to be very good at that, I'm not sure. It's probably the former.

Of course the lowered price has its drawbacks and upon taking the sword out of its sheath for the first time, there was one thing I have to say I was not by any means happy to see.
Spoiler
There is a crack in the blade that runs so long you can't miss it. If it wasn't for how the steel used in this is fairly soft, there would be a part of me concerned over its structural integrity and it is easy to see just why this was discounted. That said I can't really see any particular flaws elsewhere on the sword, and this issue isn't visible on the other side of the weapon, essentially meaning that this one crack saved me about 40 dollars on it, which sounds like a fair deal for a low-end product that was specifically mentioned as having defects. Overall I feel like both purchases were good enough to warrant the money spent, but if there's one thing that won't stop bothering me, it's that both of the swords I own are straight when I actually prefer curved swords.

For comparison, this is the sword I want most out of the selection the retailer I buy from offers, but it's also twice as expensive and does not serve as a convenient to use tool for self-defense. Buying this after the other two would also be kind of redundant as it shares design similarities to both of them. The swords I have now are like if they were once this sword and then split into two which somehow caused them to straighten out for some reason.

If I wanted to avoid being redundant, there were two other swords I took interest in. The first was the Agincourt War Sword from Windlass Steelcrafts' battlecry series, with an all black finish that gives it a malicious style that is only further accentuated by its realistic and practical shape with little in the way of decoration. This would be the kind of sword I would want to hold when I want to foster a zeal for carnage, as if it were the devil's gift. The second is the Skull Sword Cane from Hanwei for which I have similar feelings toward as the black sword except I suppose this one would give more of a drive for assassination with its nature as a concealed weapon. (It's not just the clothes that make the man...) However, neither are curved. x:

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#2 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 02:40 PM

i wouldn't consider myself a collector by any means, but my family has quite a few swords(more specifically my dad does). one of them is a decorative blade rather than a functional one. it's a snake-blade design with an absolutely useless handguard. it's only function is to look good on a wall rather than be used as a weapon of any kind. in fact last i checked it was dulled to the point of being better as a blunt object, and it's never been used for anything which means that's the way it came. we have several katanas of varying quality that my dad trained with when he was still practicing martial arts(he can't anymore because of a serious back problem). the best of which is actually the most simple looking. the blade itself is a fairly standard design. there's no ornate carvings or anything like that, and the blood groove is about at unoriginal as you can get. just a basic flat black wrap on the hilt with nothing special to say about it. the hand guard is a bit fancy compared to the rest of the sword, but even that is pretty minimalist. it's nice to look at though as it has a dragon and a tiger fighting around the blade. the only remarkable thing about it is how incredibly well built the entire thing is. the blade is ridiculously sharp after having been used for practice for many many years and shows no signs of wear at all. my dad took good care of it of course which has a lot to do with that, but it's a testament to the guy who forged it as well. 

my favorite though is my wooden boken. it's not anything special really. just a 6 inch hilt that goes straight into a 2 foot blade. there's no handguard at all of course since it's one solid piece of wood. the stain on it is nice to look at i guess, but there's no design or anything like that. i like it so much because it has the perfect weight for getting a good swing. it's light enough that i can hold it in one hand if i need to for whatever reason, and still heavy enough that it won't be wasted in two hands. honestly if i was to use a real sword to defend myself i would want it to feel exactly like my boken does.

i don't have any pictures right now because i'm not even certain where all of the swords are right now(we moved about two years ago, and i haven't even thought about the swords until just now XD). i'll see if i can find them and get some pictures up. 

honestly i'd like to start a collection of sorts, but i kinda want to move back home eventually. it'd be a pain to have a lot of stuff to bring with me when i do, so i won't have a collection until i find my own place. i have had my eye on this for awhile though http://www.coldsteel...ALRY_SABER.aspx

i totally forgot to mention that my father's pride and joy is his cane sword. it's a straight blade with one cutting edge and a tanto tip. once again nothing decorative about it. it's only meant for a fight. what he really likes about it is that the scabbard is really solid, so he can use that as well a the blade itself. though the blade is too long to try and use in one hand imo. nothing to do with weight, it would just feel a bit awkward.

#3 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:38 AM

Not much to add myself but I've always wanted to acquire a jian.  They are one of the most beautiful blades in my mind as a rapier-like weapon with an elegant design.  Pretty much outclassed by the standard rapier design in terms of practicality (especially with the lack of guard on most jians) but I've always found a sort of elegance in its simplicity.  I swore I was going to get one for myself when I graduated my undergraduate but never followed through.  Guess I'll get one when I'm done graduate studies.

http://images.ttcdn.....jpeg?size=2000

Also always wanted to own a Swiss saber.  They honestly look deadly efficient all around.  The nice guard doesn't hurt.

http://www.christian...030715_med.jpeg

Daos are pretty awesome in its curvature though that's probably my own cultural influence showing. 

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#4 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:45 AM

Not much to add myself but I've always wanted to acquire a jian.  They are one of the most beautiful blades in my mind as a rapier-like weapon with an elegant design.  Pretty much outclassed by the standard rapier design in terms of practicality (especially with the lack of guard on most jians) but I've always found a sort of elegance in its simplicity.  I swore I was going to get one for myself when I graduated my undergraduate but never followed through.  Guess I'll get one when I'm done graduate studies.

I think jian can be better compared to smallswords than rapiers in role. Notably, smallswords came after rapiers (even though both are for civilian defense as the jian is) but lose most of the advantages rapiers were built to have. The main positives would be being much lighter and better suited for when you have to fight in a compact space from its shorter length, even if it is a thrusting sword.

As for why exactly smallswords were ever a thing after they had the far more effective rapier anyway, it's probably due to legal reasons (because sword control laws are pretty much like gun control laws, they are all about them technicalities), some dumb cultural/social expectation, or just because it's somewhat more portable and thus more comfortable to keep on you in everyday life than other swords, it would be like the difference between a laptop and a smartphone or something.

I don't know if the jian suffers from similar constraints in particular, but it's certainly true that everyday civilian defense weapons have a tendency to emphasize more on those three factors than anything meant for more risky situations.

i wouldn't consider myself a collector by any means, but my family has quite a few swords(more specifically my dad does)

Hold up now, are you suggesting old people have hobbies?

the best of which is actually the most simple looking. the blade itself is a fairly standard design. there's no ornate carvings or anything like that, and the blood groove is about at unoriginal as you can get. just a basic flat black wrap on the hilt with nothing special to say about it. the hand guard is a bit fancy compared to the rest of the sword, but even that is pretty minimalist. it's nice to look at though as it has a dragon and a tiger fighting around the blade. the only remarkable thing about it is how incredibly well built the entire thing is. the blade is ridiculously sharp after having been used for practice for many many years and shows no signs of wear at all. my dad took good care of it of course which has a lot to do with that, but it's a testament to the guy who forged it as well. 

I've noticed the more expensive but not ultra-expensive (like "we use real gold on the decs" expensive) swords on the market have a tendency to be pretty bare-bones in favor of high functionality. I kind of feel like katana have all look same syndrome I'm asian I get to say these things a lot of the time because it doesn't allow for much room in the way of decoration or design variation though...the main reason I can't exactly be thrilled actually trying to think of buying one is because nobody really tries to sell decent ones that aim to stand out from the other katana. Even other Japanese swords don't really look that different from it outside of length variations, putting aside the naginata which is stretching the definition of sword a bit much.

honestly i'd like to start a collection of sorts, but i kinda want to move back home eventually. it'd be a pain to have a lot of stuff to bring with me when i do, so i won't have a collection until i find my own place. i have had my eye on this for awhile though http://www.coldsteel...ALRY_SABER.aspx

I feel the need to point out that Cold Steel is one of those companies who are more interested in focusing their efforts on advertising the product than quality checking the product (if I recall correctly, they don't even actually make their swords) with common issues people have with them being unwieldly blades and a hilt that wasn't fitted properly. There are mixed opinions on them but the one thing more experienced customers can agree on is that they are overpriced low-end sword retailers.

i totally forgot to mention that my father's pride and joy is his cane sword. it's a straight blade with one cutting edge and a tanto tip. once again nothing decorative about it. it's only meant for a fight. what he really likes about it is that the scabbard is really solid, so he can use that as well a the blade itself. though the blade is too long to try and use in one hand imo. nothing to do with weight, it would just feel a bit awkward.

That sounds really weird considering most cane swords are pretty short (when unsheathed) and even if they were designed to go deep into the sheath by virtue of being a cane it would have a pretty significant length restriction. Consider that the rapiers are one-handed weapons in spite of commonly being over 40 inches. (My officer's sword is also a one-handed sword in spite of having a blade that's like twice as long as my dirk's, but I'm assuming it was meant to be used on a horse.)

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#5 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:23 AM

I may be remembering wrong since the last time I saw it unsheathed was...idk maybe 6 years ago? I can't really remember tbh. It isn't your typical cane sword really. I don't know exactly how long it is anymore, but I remember it being long enough that you would want to use two hands in most situations. Again it could be my memory is bad, but I just don't know anymore.

@the cold Steel thing(why does my phone capitalize steel even?) I haven't heard that about them before. I've bought knives from them, and while they weren't great quality I still got what I payed for at the very least.

#6 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:43 AM

I think jian can be better compared to smallswords than rapiers in role. Notably, smallswords came after rapiers (even though both are for civilian defense as the jian is) but lose most of the advantages rapiers were built to have. The main positives would be being much lighter and better suited for when you have to fight in a compact space from its shorter length, even if it is a thrusting sword.

As for why exactly smallswords were ever a thing after they had the far more effective rapier anyway, it's probably due to legal reasons (because sword control laws are pretty much like gun control laws, they are all about them technicalities), some dumb cultural/social expectation, or just because it's somewhat more portable and thus more comfortable to keep on you in everyday life than other swords, it would be like the difference between a laptop and a smartphone or something.

I don't know if the jian suffers from similar constraints in particular, but it's certainly true that everyday civilian defense weapons have a tendency to emphasize more on those three factors than anything meant for more risky situations

I think you're right in the sense that they were likely closer related to the smallsword...though I would suggest the jian was also a military weapon as, if memory serves, the dao didn't exist during some of the earlier eras of conflict.  The elegance and beauty in the jian's movements are (to my memory) what sparked the move to declare it the gentleman of the four weapons to the dao's general (we can see that the dao effectively replaced the jian by the Three Kingdoms era).  The dao also itself more suited in later eras.  Much like the rapier, it would be relegated to lightly armoured contests or for shows of beauty. 

I think since then, they've been beloved for much the same reason...spears are forever the peasant's weapon.  You'll see that almost everywhere...they're cheap, easy to make, and easy to train.  But it's also tradition for families to keep a jian around; I'd assume that the aesthetics and efficiency in unarmoured conflicts are the bigger reason for that.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#7 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:46 PM

oh my gosh so much text.

I saw this thread but I have no idea when I'll be able to take out an hour of my life for this.

Also, I do have swords but I just collect various fantasy swords for fun, not as a serious collector. They just kind of casually sit around in my room and on occasion I try to make sure they don't get in terrible condition, but I don't properly display or take care of them nor am I really familiar with the aesthetics or culture of sword collecting lol

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#8 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:20 AM

Fantasy swords, huh...

I have difficulties trying to approach them (for purchasing purposes anyway) because I feel like fantasy weapons have personal qualities to them that won't really let me feel like it's really my sword if I had got one. Like, if I purchased the Elucidator, I can't mentally consider myself the owner, I will just have Kirito's sword on a rack instead of my sword. Even if the fantasy weapon wasn't designed for a specific character, and doesn't exist as a movie replica or anything, it would ultimately be the author's imaginative design and presumably made to fit their tastes. Historical weapons (that weren't tailor made for specific people) are generic enough to belong to anyone as long as they had the job or money for them.

The other issue would be that fantasy swords have a tendency to be of dangerously poor construction to the point of not being very safe to even swing at air. (I'm obsessed with durability/longevity in my stuff) The only fantasy sword I'd accept would be one that I make myself, I suppose. No clue where I'd learn to blacksmith (and find a studio with the tools to do it, and where to buy the metal, etc.) though.

#9 Knight of Argentum

Knight of Argentum

Maximus Imperator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Saepe in arcas verborum scribere obliviscor.

Posted 17 June 2016 - 02:34 AM

I actively collect daggers and swords. Will post pictures of my stuff later.

I collect a mix of fantasy swords and actual swords.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users