Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Leafy's Lame Digital Art

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:45 PM

Part of my forum takeover, and this subforum could use a new post in it, even if the topic dies immediately like it did on serenes

Mostly just going to post my weapon concept ideas because I like those.

Most of my art can be found on my dA account as well, with descriptions and comments.

WARNING: LARGE IMAGES. Kind of.

Sun and Eclipse's Legendary Weapons:

Spoiler

My story, Blizzard Blade's, weapon ideas (mostly elemental weapons. Blizzard Blade is an FE-isque story that's actually finished, unlike S&E)

Spoiler

All swords are inactive when sheathed or laying on the ground, and only kick to life after being fully drawn by someone who meets the weapon's requirements. Atterox, for example, can only be wielded by those with corrupt hearts.

IUfb9Eg.png

#2 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:27 AM

Hey, those aren't that lame! I actually dig the designs quite a bit, especially the first two--there's just some great contrast between the two swords. Sure, in a way it's simple, but simple and charming is nice if you ask me, haha.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#3 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

I generally tend to have "simple" designs with my weapons, sadly. Volkavor was actually designed by somebody else and polished by me (and then redrawn by me because he prefers using a sketchy style and I prefer a clean one lol.) But at the same time, I like my sword designs to be pretty (except in Atterox's case) so I tend to not care about simple designs lol.

Although I can't rightly call Glevis/Atterox "simple" because it's almost impossible to translate the designs into a 16x16 icon. <_<; Thankfully, the good thing about using FEXNA over a ROM is that every weapon can have its own custom colors, instead of sharing the same 16 over EVERY item. (But even then...)

Thanks for the comments XD

IUfb9Eg.png

#4 acceptance

acceptance

to live is to accept

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:accepting things

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:30 PM

super lame. wow.
Dave Grohl is rock and roll personified.

Actually a real smart genius man, but I'll never show it.

#5 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:36 PM

Huge image alert:

Spoiler

IUfb9Eg.png

#6 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:51 AM

Hm...I've been trying to find it for a while, but what era are you referring to as "early age"?  I mean, Middle Age (much of how we've defined the iron age) was slightly more detailed. 

TabulaRogeriana.png

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#7 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:59 AM

Hm...I've been trying to find it for a while, but what era are you referring to as "early age"?  I mean, Middle Age (much of how we've defined the iron age) was slightly more detailed. 

Early-age meaning before paper and printing presses.

...When I think about it, I think I was actually trying to somewhat mimic the style of FE8's world map, but I suck at drawing mountains. The forests need to look like they were drawn and not stained, so I'll go redo those later.

Yeah, I know the map needs more detail, but right now it's a somewhat blank slate for me to plug my chapter maps into. Now that you mention it, though, I suppose I will need to apply a grid to it... (That sounds like it's going to be a pain,  haha.)

IUfb9Eg.png

#8 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:44 AM

The mountains feel a little plain to me (in the sense that they just kind of cut across the map like that without so much as a passage around or through them...) but otherwise I think it's a decent map. The... thing on the far left (I'm sorry I like, totally forgot all of my geographical terms lol) feels like it has a parallel of sorts with the similar thing in the top right, haha. Not bad.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#9 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:35 PM

The mountains feel a little plain to me (in the sense that they just kind of cut across the map like that without so much as a passage around or through them...) but otherwise I think it's a decent map. The... thing on the far left (I'm sorry I like, totally forgot all of my geographical terms lol) feels like it has a parallel of sorts with the similar thing in the top right, haha. Not bad.

Yeah, you have a point. They're supposed to be a natural border, but I'm actually thinking of removing the ones overlapping the forest. And maybe moving them a little. They're in too straight of a line. (Or actually, never mind on the forest ones. If I remove those two mountains I'll have to practically redo that whole forest because of how they overlap and how they were done.)

I know the word you're looking for but I don't know the spelling. XD Let me use spellcheck. Peninsula (...That doesn't feel like it's spelled right, but google says it is. OH WELL.) Now that you mention it, it does look mirrored.

http://i.imgur.com/7A5R0bZ.jpg

Updated it but had to make it bigger to work with the paint brushes Aeo so generously linked me to. So I'm linking to it instead of posting it here due to size.

I've kind of decided that like really old maps, this isn't a 100% accurate depiction of the land, but that doesn't really matter because nobody will ever know. :D

I still haven't done the grids because I haven't found a cheap way to do them yet, and don't feel like hand-drawing them. >>

IUfb9Eg.png

#10 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:38 AM

Oh wow, that detail! XD. I think it looks fine. Better than before ofc. And the far left side reminds me of a dolphin fin now. XD

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#11 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:51 AM

Early-age meaning before paper and printing presses.

Ah.  Fair enough.

http://i.imgur.com/7A5R0bZ.jpg

Updated it but had to make it bigger to work with the paint brushes Aeo so generously linked me to. So I'm linking to it instead of posting it here due to size.

I've kind of decided that like really old maps, this isn't a 100% accurate depiction of the land, but that doesn't really matter because nobody will ever know. :D

I still haven't done the grids because I haven't found a cheap way to do them yet, and don't feel like hand-drawing them. >>

Leaving aside the geology stuff (I had a bunch typed out then realized it's probably the fact that I have a geologist telling me this stuff so it might not be terribly relevant nor do people really care unless you're going for a "super realistic" world), that looks pretty nice, albeit a bit uniform.  All grassland with mountains and forest (though maybe place the forest on the east of the mountain range instead?  Water tends to collect on the side facing the prevailing winds--GAH.  See what I mean?). 

I assume this is a small island or an isolated continent?

RedBlue.png

#12 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:43 PM

Oh wow, that detail! XD. I think it looks fine. Better than before ofc. And the far left side reminds me of a dolphin fin now. XD

*hereby names that area Fish Fin Peninsula*

Ah.  Fair enough.

Leaving aside the geology stuff (I had a bunch typed out then realized it's probably the fact that I have a geologist telling me this stuff so it might not be terribly relevant nor do people really care unless you're going for a "super realistic" world), that looks pretty nice, albeit a bit uniform.  All grassland with mountains and forest (though maybe place the forest on the east of the mountain range instead?  Water tends to collect on the side facing the prevailing winds--GAH.  See what I mean?). 

I assume this is a small island or an isolated continent?

Go ahead and hit me. I'm always striving to improve. XD Can't say I'll follow all of your advice, but I do like hearing what people have to say. (And I'm not the best geologist, so...)

Isolated continent, yeah.

IUfb9Eg.png

#13 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:24 AM

Go ahead and hit me. I'm always striving to improve. XD Can't say I'll follow all of your advice, but I do like hearing what people have to say. (And I'm not the best geologist, so...)

Isolated continent, yeah.

I'll stick to the first three comments I had in mind (as some get stupid technical and I'm not 100% sure I remember them properly).

The big one that stands out is the idea of a rain shadow.  There are many ways you can approach the concept, but I've always enjoyed the physics definition: air can hold less water as it gets colder and it gets colder the higher you go up.  So a mountain forces the air to get high up as it blows overtop the mountain.  This encourages it to rain right away, thereby having less moisture to deposit as rain on the other side of the mountain...basically, one side of the mountain gets more rain than the other.  Now, there are typically prevailing winds on a planet.  On earth, they are the trade winds.  This will give you a dominant direction of wind to blow over the mountain (ex - on the continental US and Canada, it's eastern winds...the entire "grass plains" part of the region is affected by this).  So let's say that you have eastern winds on your map.  That would mean the area east of the mountains should have a bit of a rain shadow which allows only ecosystems with less water usage. 

Assuming this isn't a new continent only inhabited by animals, what are the primary industries?  That is, how do the people living there make goods to barter?  Where are the cities and how big are they (and how do they even survive?)?  A medieval era world typically had its biggest and best cities near water sources.  Mining industries were typically in mountainous regions.  Lumber was pretty much a non-existent entity unless you've got waterways or an artificial engine (ex - diesel). 

What are the directions of river flow? Remember that rivers are virtually unable to fight gravity (and when they do, it's very special and a tourist attraction in modern day settings).  Should there be lakes?

One would assume from all this that Triannos is the continent's "bread basket".  It has multiple major rivers which give it access to trade, food, and can keep the area well defended from attacks.  Meanwhile, I would assume that Evoid in its earlier years would have had an isolationist effect.  That is, many nations would crop up and fight for control of the area west of the mountains while other nations might attempt an attack on those protected by the mountains, a properly built defence would make it difficult to attack.  it being a unified region now means that it's very easy to keep hold of.  Furthermore, the eastern edge of Evoid is likely an area of great concern to them.  They have lots of metals likely sticking out of the ground due to the mountains and could forge lots of weapons from the resources, if suitable.

RedBlue.png

#14 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:47 AM

The big one that stands out is the idea of a rain shadow.  (snip) So let's say that you have eastern winds on your map.  That would mean the area east of the mountains should have a bit of a rain shadow which allows only ecosystems with less water usage.

I'm glad you posted about this, because now I have a legit reason to do what I originally wanted to do with Evoid--make it somewhat barren/desolate. Or at least, part of it.

But I suppose that means that I'm going to have to add a WHOLE lot more forests to the Triannion side of the mountains, since places with lots of rain typically have forests.

Assuming this isn't a new continent only inhabited by animals, what are the primary industries?  That is, how do the people living there make goods to barter?  Where are the cities and how big are they (and how do they even survive?)?  A medieval era world typically had its biggest and best cities near water sources.  Mining industries were typically in mountainous regions.  Lumber was pretty much a non-existent entity unless you've got waterways or an artificial engine (ex - diesel).

The cities--or at least, the ones we'll see during the story--will be marked by FE8 map sprites. I haven't particularly figured out how to map waterways in this particular style, as the brushes I used were actually photoshop brushes in image forum, so I couldn't use the line brushes that matched that style.

As for the questions, Triannos is typically a land of high trading, with plenty of ideal farmland for animal raising and plant growing. Mining is most certainly a thing in the eastern side of the mountains, while fishing and trading are the most popular industries near port towns. Evoid is a little different, thanks to its barrenness, and does have a bit of trouble providing for the needs of its people. (Part of the reason why it invaded Triannos to begin with.) The two eastern countries, divisions of Ceverstine, have...not really been expanded upon, if I'm being honest. The two islands in the south rely heavily on fishing and trading.

One would assume from all this that Triannos is the continent's "bread basket".  It has multiple major rivers which give it access to trade, food, and can keep the area well defended from attacks.  Meanwhile, I would assume that Evoid in its earlier years would have had an isolationist effect.  That is, many nations would crop up and fight for control of the area west of the mountains while other nations might attempt an attack on those protected by the mountains, a properly built defence would make it difficult to attack.  it being a unified region now means that it's very easy to keep hold of.  Furthermore, the eastern edge of Evoid is likely an area of great concern to them.  They have lots of metals likely sticking out of the ground due to the mountains and could forge lots of weapons from the resources, if suitable.

Very interesting to note. I might have to revise my history of Evoid a little, since this is honestly more interesting than what I already had planned for it. In fact, it just gave me an idea.

Thank you for your input! :D

IUfb9Eg.png

#15 Sorayai

Sorayai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Video games, anime, writing, dragons

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:42 AM

these are pretty cool. I really like the weapon designs. nice work :)

tttott_by_merieth-d9yn2oj.png

Jakob :wub:

#16 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:54 PM

The map I ended up using for the book variant of this story:

lqk8gUQ.jpg

Also a minor update to Glevis, because I FINALLY figured out how to make it look like what I wanted it to: (Change the hilt layer's type to "colorize," thus making it seem more transparent.)

Spoiler

IUfb9Eg.png

#17 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:53 AM

The sword looks very cool, I just generally like shiny, glowy, sparkly, fantasy-like swords like that. XD

the final map is also a bit cool--perhaps a bit vanilla in terms of overall design (shape of the continent, an island at the bottom, very clear-cut territories with it being divided in 3) but not technically bad IMO, I guess it just feels a tiny bit bland or uninspired. (sorry if you weren't looking for critique, especially now that it's done--I'm just kind of blabbing away, it's fine as-is and I wouldn't expect you to do anything, so feel free to ignore me)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#18 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:47 AM

The sword looks very cool, I just generally like shiny, glowy, sparkly, fantasy-like swords like that. XD

the final map is also a bit cool--perhaps a bit vanilla in terms of overall design (shape of the continent, an island at the bottom, very clear-cut territories with it being divided in 3) but not technically bad IMO, I guess it just feels a tiny bit bland or uninspired. (sorry if you weren't looking for critique, especially now that it's done--I'm just kind of blabbing away, it's fine as-is and I wouldn't expect you to do anything, so feel free to ignore me)

Me too. In fact, the new Glevis was kind of inspired by the True Monado in XC ahahahaha.

Eh, it is kind of bland. Half of the reason I remade it in this style was to make it look LESS boring. I would go and add more countries or whatever but as it is, the story only really takes place in Triannos and Evoid--Ceverstine and the isles to the south I am having to do bonus chapters / a second route just to work them in and flesh them out. Otherwise they're like GBAFE's Fire Emblem--only truly mentioned in name only. lol

I'll have to make Blizzard Blade's map into this style and work on making it not-boring. If S&E goes well, I do actually intend on making that into a game as well.

IUfb9Eg.png

#19 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:31 PM

yeah, I dunno, in a way that's not so bad. just having the world be bigger, even if a lot of it is unused, isn't a bad thing. it can be a writing tool or could potentially be used in sequels, or characters can from those places despite not events happening there. there are all sorts of ways to use them. that being said over-complicating it for the sake of over-complicating it isn't necessarily a good thing either, haha.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#20 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:05 PM

Blizzard Blade would at least allow you to see about half of the known world, lol. Only reason I didn't go with it first is because I'll need lots of help with custom battle animations, and I kind of need to get my name out there and show people what I can do before anyone will even consider helping.

Speaking of which, I spent almost all day on this. And I'm still not done. Yay.

Finished Blizzard Blade map:

http://i.imgur.com/3HzJRTJ.jpg

The War of Elements Legend that shapes the world/story:

http://sta.sh/0usdr7o7in8

And as a tl;dr to the dumb, repetitive legend:

7 heroes saved the world from certain doom, and each of them wielded a weapon imbued with the power of an element. They later formed the kingdoms of the land by picking out the terrains most fitting to their element, thus the elemental kingdoms are born. Also the fire hero turned evil and had to be killed, and the ice hero died. THE END.

IUfb9Eg.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users