Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

What languages do you speak and/or understand?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:34 AM

So the topic title is generic but actually I want to encompass all language discussion. Pretty much:

- What's your native language?

- Do you speak or understand any other languages?

- If so, how much: mastered (like, qualified-to-teach-it level), fluent in conversation, can talk but not read/write, can understand but not speak, etc.

- What languages are you studying?

- What languages might you like to know?

I'll go after some other people go. For now, I want to hear about you guys! :)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#2 Voffie

Voffie

He who might do things

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Games. Anime. More games.

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:39 AM

My native language is English.

I can understand and speak basic French (And by basic, I mean basic.) I can mainly write in French rather than speak it. My pronunciation of some words has always been off.

I'm not studying any languages right now, but I plan on picking French back up when I finally do go to college.

I wouldn't mind learning Japanese.

#3 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Tons of stuff, figure them out yourself.

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:15 AM

Well that's kinda hard to answer, the first language I learned to speak was Spanish, though I moved to the US before first grade, so I learned to write and read in English. So basically I learned I'm completely bilingual XD.

Besides English and Spanish I know how to say "I don't speak french" in French. and I want to learn more but I don't have the time/place to do so. Besides French, I would like to learn Italian and I would like to learn Japanese though I don't have the stamina to try and learn that XD.

Posted Image
Posted Image
This won't be removed until Chile wins the World Cup - Started 24/06/12
BTW, I take map requests if anyone wants to make one XD, just send me a PM and I'll most likely accept. If you wanna see some of previous work you can visit my gallery here, I'd skip to the end because I've improved alot XD.

#4 Oblivion Knight

Oblivion Knight

Denial eSports Journalist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video Games, Strategy Games, Smite, Hearthstone, Poetry, Writing

Posted 31 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

- What's your native language? - English. 

- Do you speak or understand any other languages? - I know a few scattered words and phrases from Spanish.

- If so, how much: mastered (like, qualified-to-teach-it level), fluent in conversation, can talk but not read/write, can understand but not speak, etc. - Two years of Spanish at my college prep high school. lol By far nothing like potentially liveable off of but I know some words, but forgot most of them by now. Definately couldn't hold a basic conversation even if I wanted to. 

- What languages are you studying? - Nothing currently.

- What languages might you like to know? - Sign language is interesting to me in concept.

Knight of the Realm -- Sain can't get laid. Therefore Kent > Sain.
Knight of the Realm -- My logic is flawless.

QUOTE (bblues @ May 30 2012, 07:13 AM)
My, this so...if you're wondering why I haven't posted, it's because my palms are so glued to my face I can't pull them off.

One of the top three Ryans.

user posted image

This won't be removed until the Browns win the Super Bowl. - Started 9/7/09

#5 Knight of Argentum

Knight of Argentum

Maximus Imperator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Saepe in arcas verborum scribere obliviscor.

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:43 PM

My native language is English.
I have previously learned French, and I actively learn Latin and Ancient Greek.
I can speak French at a basic level to where I could survive in France, but I do not know colloquialisms for the language. I can speak Latin very slowly, but much more proficiently than French. I can't speak Greek, but I can translate basic Greek. I am more proficient in translation for all three, and I do read books in Latin when I come across them.
I would like to learn Russian and Italian.

#6 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:47 PM

I know very basic Spanish (could probably make it through a conversation if I tried, but it would be awkward). I'm learning Swedish and Japanese, and I'd love to learn Latin to help with basically every other romance language.

#7 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:49 PM

I know very basic Spanish (could probably make it through a conversation if I tried, but it would be awkward). I'm learning Swedish and Japanese, and I'd love to learn Latin to help with basically every other romance language.

what about English? is it your native language?

anyhow, for me:

- What's your native language? - English, I was born in America and grew up speaking English, especially since that's the common language in our household.

- Do you speak or understand any other languages? I understand a little bit of Spanish, Turkish, and Japanese. I used to be able to understand/speak some Arabic.

- If so, how much: mastered (like, qualified-to-teach-it level), fluent in conversation, can talk but not read/write, can understand but not speak, etc.

- English I pretty much consider myself a pro/master in, even if I don't show it all the time (laziness, it's the internet, etc.). I'm even familiar with some grammar concepts and such that a lot of people who can just speak the language aren't, so yeah. My spelling is also pretty good (funny thing, I typo'd "spelling" while typing this... that's just a typo tho lol)

- Spanish I took maybe 4-5 years of? I think I took it 7th grade through 10th or 11th grade. The first two years were rather slow-paced. I've also had odd bits of exposure to Spanish here and there (such as people on the internet). I can't speak it and I've forgotten most of what I know but thanks to remembering some basic grammar and some similarities to English, I can sometimes get the gist of what is being said in Spanish.

- Turkish is a family language, I don't speak it very well and I've forgotten a lot but I intend to start practicing it seriously soon... just need to free up some time to consistently work on it. It's probably the language I want to know most, kind of.

- Japanese I understand quite a bit of dialog and such due to watching anime and playing imported video games. I can also pretty much read katakana and hiragana fluently, I only occasionally stumble. Kanji there are way too many of and I only recently started trying to learn more than a handful. It's super tough and convoluted and I can't see this going well. So yeah, I've got some reading and oral comprehension but I can't really speak as I haven't taken any formal classes or anything and I don't have enough knowledge of grammar and vocab and such to not sound like an idiot.

- I can read Arabic near fluently (if it's too scripty or in other cases though it becomes difficult, can't really explain without going into the language), but my speaking/understanding comprehension has dropped quite a bit as I haven't had anyone to talk to or anything and I'm not taking any classes. Hopefully after I wrap up Turkish I can work on this, and then later, finish up Japanese, or something. I at least want to hold my own in a conversation.

- Turkish, Japanese (as I'm trying to play video games and crap, loool). Intend to study Arabic later.

- Aside from the ones listed above, Bengali, Sign Language, maybe French and Chinese though I doubt I'll ever learn those as I'm not really that interested, it would just be nice to know them if I magically could, lol.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#8 Seraphinox

Seraphinox

Scribe of the Heavens

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,263 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:50 PM

I'm from Ireland so we speak English and Irish here as our main two languages.

I am fluent in Spanish and can understand French, Portugeuse and have studied a lot of Latin.

Fluent in Spanish, studied French in school and in my own time, can understand most of it and could have a basic conversation with someone.

Currently studying Spanish (Gotta keep improving yo) and some Japanese which I need to put more effort into haha

I wouldn't mind knowing more European languages, as well as Mandarin for when we inevitably all live inside space camps on chinese moon cities.

QUOTE (The Best Matt)
"blazer posting sexy pictures.. was it tagged as blazzer?" 

QUOTE ( Oblivion)
Seraphiroth is over rated

user posted image

#9 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:25 PM

Oh yeah, sorry. My first language is English. I know all the rules of grammar and stuff like that even if I ignore half of them anyway. Probably gonna end up teaching it eventually, but for now I'd say I'm about halfway between qualified to teach and proficient.

#10 Queenie

Queenie

The french flying toast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:a lot of things :P

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:36 PM

- What's your native language? I'm from France so my native language is French, it's a bit obvious... or not :D

- Do you speak or understand any other languages? I understand English, sometimes easily, sometimes not, and I speak English but not very well. to have an idea, I speak English like a Spanish cow, my accent is very very bad. I spoke german a time ago but now I couldn't make a german sentence.

-French : my native language so I can speak French easily. I have a fairly pronounced Vosgian accent, but I lose it gradually... and I don't regret it :D 

-English : I understand English, I can speak it, but Each time I spoke I'm confused because I don't want to make mistakes  and in France, if you make a mistake, we take you back immediately... stressful!

-German : it's been...3 years I didn't spoke german, I totally forgot ^^" but In class I wasn't helped... really... We didn't make much in German class.

English of course

Ohhh... maybe Japanese, and maybe Nordic langages :3 

#11 Rujio

Rujio

I eat Axel

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:15 PM

I speak English as my native language, and I'm conversational in both Japanese and German. I can read German decently, and I can get through Japanese text if it's on the computer so I don't have to know all of the kanji (ugh). I actually struggle a lot with anime Japanese, though, since I never really watch it. I should probably start. I'm functional in the real world, though. I'm also studying Irish a bit in my spare time and am going to start either Spanish or Esperanto this summer, depending on which one my friend feels like. As far as languages I'd like to learn, well, any, really. Basque would be cool. Or Navajo. Something weird like that.

?????????
???????
There, katakana. Happy?
Bobryk -- holy crap I look away for two seconds and I have knots all up in my shit

#12 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:13 AM

I speak English as my native language, and I'm conversational in both Japanese and German. I can read German decently, and I can get through Japanese text if it's on the computer so I don't have to know all of the kanji (ugh). I actually struggle a lot with anime Japanese, though, since I never really watch it. I should probably start. I'm functional in the real world, though. I'm also studying Irish a bit in my spare time and am going to start either Spanish or Esperanto this summer, depending on which one my friend feels like. As far as languages I'd like to learn, well, any, really. Basque would be cool. Or Navajo. Something weird like that.

Anime Japanese really isn't that important and I don't blame you, LOL. Funny how we're kinda opposites in this though. I only got exposure through Japanese thanks to entertainment things, so that's what kind of Japanese I know. Go figure, lol. and tbh since I'm not going to use the language to really talk with people and such, I'm only really interested in knowing what I need to know in order to understand various forms of Japanese entertainment and such (namely anime, video games, and maybe manga)... so yeahhh >_> I mean, it'd be cool if I knew more, languages are cool, but without anyone to interact with, it's so hard to learn AND keep a language...

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#13 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Tons of stuff, figure them out yourself.

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:22 AM

Anime Japanese really isn't that important and I don't blame you, LOL. Funny how we're kinda opposites in this though. I only got exposure through Japanese thanks to entertainment things, so that's what kind of Japanese I know. Go figure, lol. and tbh since I'm not going to use the language to really talk with people and such, I'm only really interested in knowing what I need to know in order to understand various forms of Japanese entertainment and such (namely anime, video games, and maybe manga)... so yeahhh >_> I mean, it'd be cool if I knew more, languages are cool, but without anyone to interact with, it's so hard to learn AND keep a language...

This is very true, most of my family can't speak English fluently anymore because they haven't had any practice. My dad sounds like he has never spoken a word of English in his life and we lived in the US for 7 years XD

Posted Image
Posted Image
This won't be removed until Chile wins the World Cup - Started 24/06/12
BTW, I take map requests if anyone wants to make one XD, just send me a PM and I'll most likely accept. If you wanna see some of previous work you can visit my gallery here, I'd skip to the end because I've improved alot XD.

#14 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:18 AM

It's great to have someone to learn a language with. Especially if you learn at similar rates so you can talk to each other and not have to worry about not understanding something.

I find the best way to keep a language isn't necessarily to speak it though. I have better luck reading(though that's how I learn best to begin with, so it could be a matter of how the individual best learns something)

#15 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:19 AM

Native as in most spoken or first spoken?  English is my primary but I spoke rural dialect Chinese first.

I have learned many languages previously...few I remember (it was mostly because this became my high school hobby). 

I currently speak English and the same rural dialect Chinese.  I understand pieces of French, Latin, and Japanese though as they were languages I learned a great deal of previously.

I was fluent in all the above except Latin.  The only once I could say I'm at a mastered level are the two I use.

None.

Russian interests me as do fictional languages with more elegant grammar systems.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#16 Valke

Valke

lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:drawing!!! writing!!! playing games!! honestly anything that could distract me from reality haha

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:56 PM

What's your native language?

Indonesian(Bahasa Indonesia).

Do you can speak or understand any other language?

I can understand English, and a little bit of Danish.

If so, how much: mastered(like, qualified-to-teach-it level), fluent in conversation, can talk but not speak, etc.

-Indonesian : it's my native language, so I can speak it fluently.

-English : I understand English very well because I've been studying it since the 1st grade on Elementary School. Actually, I frequently used English to communicate(except with my family and my real-life friends) rather than Indonesian, orz. Anyway, I'm quite good writing in English, though I might screw up some grammars here and there. I never speak English, though. Last time I tried to speak English, it sounds garbled and weird because my spelling(or pronunciation..?) is bad. I never had any practice >_>

-Danish : I understand a bit of Danish from using the "Dansk language" on Facebook LOL. And just like English, I can't speak with it. I don't know how. Lmao

What languages are you studying?

English.

What languages might you like to know?

Russian, Spanish, and Latin. And maybe, a little bit of Japanese. Also, I'd love to know Danish more huehue

you can't spell success without 'succ'

#17 eckirion

eckirion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Drawing, Video Games ( mostly themed to anime ), Monologues, Story Writing, Originalism

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:12 PM

- What's your native language? Bisaya

- Do you speak or understand any other languages? Tagalog, English and ( a little bit of ) Japanese

1. Bisaya - It's my native and first-learned language
  2. Tagalog - I can fluently speak and write since it is our national dialect.
  3. English - It is required as a means to converse internationally and in formal activities. Othersides than that, it is used as medium of different kinds of entertainment. NOTE: There are lot of my people on my country that sucks and try too much hard using this language to the point Taglish was invented.
  4. Japanese - I can understand but cannot speak since I get most from watching anime, of course.

- What languages are you studying? None at this moment.

- What languages might you like to know? Japanese ( expand my knowledge even more about this language ) and probably Germany.

#18 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:17 PM

This is very true, most of my family can't speak English fluently anymore because they haven't had any practice. My dad sounds like he has never spoken a word of English in his life and we lived in the US for 7 years XD

aww man, that's kinda sad somehow, haha

What's your native language?

Indonesian(Bahasa Indonesia).

Do you can speak or understand any other language?

I can understand English, and a little bit of Danish.

If so, how much: mastered(like, qualified-to-teach-it level), fluent in conversation, can talk but not speak, etc.

-Indonesian : it's my native language, so I can speak it fluently.

-English : I understand English very well because I've been studying it since the 1st grade on Elementary School. Actually, I frequently used English to communicate(except with my family and my real-life friends) rather than Indonesian, orz. Anyway, I'm quite good writing in English, though I might screw up some grammars here and there. I never speak English, though. Last time I tried to speak English, it sounds garbled and weird because my spelling(or pronunciation..?) is bad. I never had any practice >_>

-Danish : I understand a bit of Danish from using the "Dansk language" on Facebook LOL. And just like English, I can't speak with it. I don't know how. Lmao

What languages are you studying?

English.

What languages might you like to know?

Russian, Spanish, and Latin. And maybe, a little bit of Japanese. Also, I'd love to know Danish more huehue

Indonesian sounds cool but... what is with that font? XD

- What's your native language? Bisaya

- Do you speak or understand any other languages? Tagalog, English and ( a little bit of ) Japanese

1. Bisaya - It's my native and first-learned language
  2. Tagalog - I can fluently speak and write since it is our national dialect.
  3. English - It is required as a means to converse internationally and in formal activities. Othersides than that, it is used as medium of different kinds of entertainment. NOTE: There are lot of my people on my country that sucks and try too much hard using this language to the point Taglish was invented.
  4. Japanese - I can understand but cannot speak since I get most from watching anime, of course.

- What languages are you studying? None at this moment.

- What languages might you like to know? Japanese ( expand my knowledge even more about this language ) and probably Germany.

I'm not very cultured so I haven't even like, heard of Bisaya and Tagalog, lol. That is interesting. And LOL@"Taglish", reminds of Engrish (Japanese people trying too hard to be "cool" and speak English when they can't really... that and they actually teach English in Japanese schools, so yeah, loool)

also Germany is a country not a language though that's probably just a typo lol

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#19 Kory

Kory

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, reading, anime and cars

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:28 PM

- What's your native language? Good ol' Broken Bahamian English.

- Do you speak or understand any other languages? I know a handful of French,Spanish and Japanese. 

Ehh, more like understand a few words and sentences 

- What languages are you studying? Japanese and Spanish 

- What languages might you like to know? I would love to go back and learn French

#20 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:19 PM

English

I used to be okay at French, I guess.

-If so, how much: mastered (like, qualified-to-teach-it level), fluent in conversation, can talk but not read/write, can understand but not speak, etc.

I took three years of it in high school, but that was two years ago at this point. I can't currently hold a conversation in French, but I can pick out phrases and such.

None at the moment, though I should pick up French again.

Japanese, like everyone else here. ASL has also been on my mind a lot as of late

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users