I know very basic Spanish (could probably make it through a conversation if I tried, but it would be awkward). I'm learning Swedish and Japanese, and I'd love to learn Latin to help with basically every other romance language.
what about English? is it your native language?
anyhow, for me:
- What's your native language? - English, I was born in America and grew up speaking English, especially since that's the common language in our household.
- Do you speak or understand any other languages? I understand a little bit of Spanish, Turkish, and Japanese. I used to be able to understand/speak some Arabic.
- If so, how much: mastered (like, qualified-to-teach-it level), fluent in conversation, can talk but not read/write, can understand but not speak, etc.
- English I pretty much consider myself a pro/master in, even if I don't show it all the time (laziness, it's the internet, etc.). I'm even familiar with some grammar concepts and such that a lot of people who can just speak the language aren't, so yeah. My spelling is also pretty good (funny thing, I typo'd "spelling" while typing this... that's just a typo tho lol)
- Spanish I took maybe 4-5 years of? I think I took it 7th grade through 10th or 11th grade. The first two years were rather slow-paced. I've also had odd bits of exposure to Spanish here and there (such as people on the internet). I can't speak it and I've forgotten most of what I know but thanks to remembering some basic grammar and some similarities to English, I can sometimes get the gist of what is being said in Spanish.
- Turkish is a family language, I don't speak it very well and I've forgotten a lot but I intend to start practicing it seriously soon... just need to free up some time to consistently work on it. It's probably the language I want to know most, kind of.
- Japanese I understand quite a bit of dialog and such due to watching anime and playing imported video games. I can also pretty much read katakana and hiragana fluently, I only occasionally stumble. Kanji there are way too many of and I only recently started trying to learn more than a handful. It's super tough and convoluted and I can't see this going well. So yeah, I've got some reading and oral comprehension but I can't really speak as I haven't taken any formal classes or anything and I don't have enough knowledge of grammar and vocab and such to not sound like an idiot.
- I can read Arabic near fluently (if it's too scripty or in other cases though it becomes difficult, can't really explain without going into the language), but my speaking/understanding comprehension has dropped quite a bit as I haven't had anyone to talk to or anything and I'm not taking any classes. Hopefully after I wrap up Turkish I can work on this, and then later, finish up Japanese, or something. I at least want to hold my own in a conversation.
- What languages are you studying?
- Turkish, Japanese (as I'm trying to play video games and crap, loool). Intend to study Arabic later.
- What languages might you like to know?
- Aside from the ones listed above, Bengali, Sign Language, maybe French and Chinese though I doubt I'll ever learn those as I'm not really that interested, it would just be nice to know them if I magically could, lol.