Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

switchblades mugs

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 switchblades

switchblades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Video games, anime, cosplay, sports

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

Hi! This is my first, non-introductory post, which is awesome! That being said, these are some of the sprites from the hack I'm working on (that's probably never going to be finished..), and any feedback or critique is welcomed! (actually, more preferred. I want to get good at this!)

user posted image

#2 GhastStation

GhastStation

Great Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

I'm not all that great at picking out things in mugs, but here's some things I see. the hair falling one the left shoulders of the first two mugs kind seem awkward looking. Its like they're frozen in motion, which doesn't make sense because its basically a standing frame. The armor girl's goes a bit better because you could say the hair is being folded by here armor. But still, it looks odd. Perhaps you should move it closer to her head.

The armor girl's left eye seem's a bit too far from her nose, and her neck seems a little too thick.And she's missing a half-eyes frame

the third girl's face on the left side could use some shading i think. Because right now it goes from her lightest skin shade to her hair with nothing in between. And it looks like her outline for her hair disappears. and her half-eyes frame, her right eye is just blue lol

The green armor guy's neck seems too shaded to me. And his right eye looks asleep. His half-eye's frame looks too green to me. Also, where did you get the green armor? it seems pretty saturated to me (like you picked it from paint, and not another mug.)

the next brown clothed girl is missing a half-eyes closed frame. And her outline seems a bit too think in the neck.

The next girl's mini mug is that of the official mug you're gender-swapping.

The last 2 are decent, but the last girl's mouth seems hard to find.

Try to think of realistic proportions for your mugs and make sure things make sense. I don't know how well that translates into mug splicing, but that's what I do when I make sprites.

These aside, I like these mugs. Not bad at all for your first time! Better than me lolol

#3 boney

boney

noob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:32 PM

ugh the very first one is cute as heck

#4 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

Oh yeah, I like the 1st and 5th ones. Not bad for just getting started. I'd say take a few more liberties on stuff like the hair and armor (to make it more unique) and try to work on cleaning up sprites when it comes to making the shading nice, connecting pieces, refining eyes, etc.--using references is one of the greatest ways to do things, we all sort of have our own style so it's helpful to try and copy the "official" style a bit to make them look more like real portraits/better in general.

Keep practicing and showing, best of luck!

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#5 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

I don't have much criticism for the sprites that wasn't already said, but I wanted to point out that for your first few mugs, even if not perfect, these are quite nice! Keep up the good work.

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

#6 switchblades

switchblades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:21 AM

Sorry for the late response (I was away from my computer for a week and almost died..), but thank you guys! I really can't express in words how awesome it is to get so much feedback!

I've definitely tried to work on some of the things that you told me to. Unfortunately, some of it didn't work out as well as planed, so for the sake of space, I took out the sprites I didn't do any revisions on.

user posted image

Again, I'm sorry I couldn't fix a couple things (mainly the middle guy's eye and blinking frames, and the first girl's blinking frame)

user posted image

Any critique on these are also welcomed!

#7 switchblades

switchblades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

Urg, I really haven't been as active as I promised myself, but here's a mug based off of Eirika (like her daughter or something, idk..)

user posted image

#8 boney

boney

noob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:07 AM

ohh...i'm a prisoner of vanessa's eyes @_@

#9 AbsolutelyTotalSilence

AbsolutelyTotalSilence

Hawk King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Zelda and Metroid among other things. Probably tied with Blazer for "FES member most anticipating a TWEWY appearance at E3". THERE'S STILL HOPE GUYS

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:44 AM

I was going to say something but Blazer had roughly the same suggestion:
take a few more liberties on stuff like the hair and armor (to make it more unique) and try to work on cleaning up sprites when it comes to making the shading nice, connecting pieces, refining eyes, etc.
Ditto on using references, some of my only decent mugs best mugs have been from using references to make specific parts look more realistic. Overall, I do think that these are pretty good for a first effort. (though I have a personal strong dislike for Ross's neck and have made a point to never use it in any splice ever.)

click for random quotes (Click Here To Hide/Show Text)

Scott: at this point we're going to have iron, steel, and silver vulneraries

Silence: if nyan cats start showing up on my lawn it's your fault
Gold: O_o

jboney93: Not very much, cause girls don't tend to try to sing much higher in pitch than they can talk.
Edmania: clearly you haven't listened to enough japanese pop music

Agent Ryru: For example, you would have a hard time exciting me with a concept for a FPS game
Agent Ryru: But on the other hand even I would have to admit said game could be awesome.
Agent Ryru: Like portal, for example
Agent Ryru: And...
Agent Ryru: ...there must be some other amazing FPS game...
Agent Ryru: Oh right.
Agent Ryru: Portal 2!

user posted image

#10 switchblades

switchblades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:05 AM

Wow, um, y'know that referencing thing? Well, uh.. this was supposed to be Nocturnal from the Elder Scrolls series but... um, I tried to be more unique/original and such, and this is what came out of it..

user posted image

And thank you everyone for the wonderful feedback!

(though I have a personal strong dislike for Ross's neck and have made a point to never use it in any splice ever.)

trust me, I understand... that is the last splice with anything from Ross I'm ever doing. Period.

#11 switchblades

switchblades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:08 AM

Wow, I actually feel kinda bad for not posting anything in a while, but here is my only work from the past couple months (school sucks, and so does overbearing parents). I've also been playing WAY too much Golden Sun, and this is what came out of it. Mia and Jenna:

user posted image

(Mia has no blink frames because her base face is Elen and I didn't feel like making frames for it because I'm lazy.)

#12 GhastStation

GhastStation

Great Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

you`ve improved!

#13 YakYak

YakYak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

Can you rip a pair of FE7/8 eyes off and transplant them, then do the same with the blink frames?

#14 switchblades

switchblades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:57 PM

Thanks GhastStation!

And YakYak, I could do that. It'll just take some time to find a pair that looks natural.

#15 switchblades

switchblades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:53 AM

user posted image

Added Mia's blink frames and the beta Sheba version

#16 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:40 AM

It's been at least a year since I've played Golden Sun, and I can still recognize each character pretty clearly. Well done!

-Jenna's sprite is great, though if you were looking for something to improve, I'd recommend removing the hair from her eye.

-Mia's hair shading at the back could possibly use work, as it doesn't look correct to me at a glance. Perhaps someone else should weigh in on this, because it's been a while since I used to sprite regularly, but the jagged pattern of the shading seems weird.

-Sheba's coming along quite nicely. If anything, I would recommend removing some of the pooled black areas from her clothes, reworking her left eye from our point of view, and removing the part at the top of her hair where there's a two pixel thick border by coloring in the bottom layer of pixels with her hair colors.

As a reviewer, I try to focus on things that could use work, rather than emphasizing the parts of sprites that were really well done, so don't take my criticism too harshly! Your sprites are absolutely excellent for someone with as little spriting background as you have, and in fact, I might request a few sprites from you at some point, if you'd be okay with that.

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

#17 switchblades

switchblades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:22 AM

OH MY GOSH YES CRITICISM! THANK YOU SMASHED FISH!

user posted image

I did as you said, though please ignore both the lack of a revised Jenna, and Sheba's sloppy blink frames. I promise they look okay in game (somewhat). Also, that's Piers, but I don't know which color to use for the head-cloak thing he has, so any help or recommendations would be awesome.

#18 GhastStation

GhastStation

Great Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

tbh the cloak just looks really out of place on the guy. like why would he wear that in the first place

#19 MattCustov

MattCustov

Mercenary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Ball, Fire Emblem, Music, and sleeping

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:57 PM

Nice, i was just think on y there isn't a golden sun hack, and you started the mugs. If you go all out on this, i would like to help you at least a little in between finishing v1.0 and 1.1

Check out my FE7 hack: The Hope of Another

Make sure to look at my FE8 Sequel as well: The Sacred Bonds

#20 switchblades

switchblades

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:52 AM

@Smashedfish Oops, forgot to tell you that, yes, I would be fine with sprite requests.

@Ghaststation Yeah, ik, I just decided to scrap that sprite and start over. He's supposed to be Piers from Golden Sun, so that's why he has the weird head cloak thing, and I don't know why he wears it..

@MattCustov I'm not sure if or when I will be making a Golden Sun hack, but my friend and I are thinking about it. I'll let everyone know if/when I will be making it.

and now, Lalum (or something):
user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users