Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

RedRuby's gallery

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RedRuby

RedRuby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:21 AM

trying to make a villain.. uhm.. what do you think?

[attachmentid=772]

Attached Files

• Attached File  772   4KB   0 downloads

#2 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Tons of stuff, figure them out yourself.

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

It looks pretty good, though the hair looks kinda pillow shaded to me. Me is not a spriter. Who'd you use to make it?
Posted Image
Posted Image
This won't be removed until Chile wins the World Cup - Started 24/06/12
BTW, I take map requests if anyone wants to make one XD, just send me a PM and I'll most likely accept. If you wanna see some of previous work you can visit my gallery here, I'd skip to the end because I've improved alot XD.

#3 RedRuby

RedRuby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (Snow @ Mar 1 2014, 01:54 PM)
It looks pretty good, though the hair looks kinda pillow shaded to me. Me is not a spriter. Who'd you use to make it?

thanks smile.gif
oh yes.. I had a lot of troubles with her hair.. I think I still need more practice ^^"

I combined Limstella(face), Fiora(hair), Denning(hood), Lilina(hair), and Ray (cloak)

#4 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:16 AM

one thing I really feel the need to point out

is how automatically anti-aliased this looks, particularly because of the sheer number of colors (16 is the GBAFE limit, and most GBAFE style/format mug spriters i've seen don't go any higher than 30 colors when they do everything manually) which I can tell are far too many by just glancing at it

not to say that I wouldn't understand why someone would want to do that, it's far less of a pain than doing it manually, but anyway it has the effect of making your mugs appear blurry and not very pixel-arty, if that's what you like it's cool and all but it wouldn't work in a mod of GBAFE for sure because of color limits (semi-transparent pixels will be problematic as well.)

and yes I do realize i'm saying this as someone with an automatically anti-aliased mug for his forum avatar (even if it just is automatically done because I rotated it after manually anti-aliasing it)

i'm not very sure on if it just looks like that because it was resized or because it was made entirely with automatically anti-aliasing tools to begin with though (i'm leaning a little towards the latter but I could be wrong)

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#5 RedRuby

RedRuby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (Tenebrae Candidae @ Mar 1 2014, 07:16 PM)
one thing I really feel the need to point out

is how automatically anti-aliased this looks, particularly because of the sheer number of colors (16 is the GBAFE limit, and most GBAFE style/format mug spriters i've seen don't go any higher than 30 colors when they do everything manually) which I can tell are far too many by just glancing at it

not to say that I wouldn't understand why someone would want to do that, it's far less of a pain than doing it manually, but anyway it has the effect of making your mugs appear blurry and not very pixel-arty, if that's what you like it's cool and all but it wouldn't work in a mod of GBAFE for sure because of color limits (semi-transparent pixels will be problematic as well.)

and yes I do realize i'm saying this as someone with an automatically anti-aliased mug for his forum avatar (even if it just is automatically done because I rotated it after manually anti-aliasing it)

i'm not very sure on if it just looks like that because it was resized or because it was made entirely with automatically anti-aliasing tools to begin with though (i'm leaning a little towards the latter but I could be wrong)

I know..
maybe it's because I used the wrong software to recolor and combine it.
so.. any recommendation?

#6 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Tons of stuff, figure them out yourself.

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:22 AM

For the 16 colors thing, I recommend making the mug/sprite without worrying about the number of colors, then when you're donw you can use usenti (a paint like program) to lower the number of colors 16.
Posted Image
Posted Image
This won't be removed until Chile wins the World Cup - Started 24/06/12
BTW, I take map requests if anyone wants to make one XD, just send me a PM and I'll most likely accept. If you wanna see some of previous work you can visit my gallery here, I'd skip to the end because I've improved alot XD.

#7 RedRuby

RedRuby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (Snow @ Mar 2 2014, 12:22 AM)
For the 16 colors thing, I recommend making the mug/sprite without worrying about the number of colors,  then when you're donw you can use usenti (a paint like program) to lower the number of colors 16.

usenti?? hm.. never heard of that before.. but thanks for the suggestion..

#8 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

I don't think any software should be forcing you to use tools that automatically do that (I'm using Adobe Photoshop CS6 for mine) but the tools you'll use for pixel art are generally going to be a lot more primitive (like the pencil tool) than the usual digital art.

Also when I said 16 colors I really meant 15 colors + the background color, in case you're confused about anything. I'm normally against the use of Usenti to drown out extra colors but since your mugs don't really seem to require getting particularly detailed about where the colors are (so far anyway) it should be fine.

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users