Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Polling for interest

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

Hey,

So I've been cooking up a game of the old tabletop RPG Call of Cthulhu with friends (if you're a fan of Tabletop RPGs, this is a must play. If you don't know what a tabletop RPG is, think Dungeons and Dragons) and started thinking "you know, this would be an awesome place for me to develop my characters more". Because, you know, basically every game I can play can be turned into something I can use to help create more unique characters.

Anyways I'm planning to DM and play a campaign of Call of Cthulhu by myself for this reason. I was wondering if this forum would be interested in me turning it into story form.

The setting would be modern times in the oft-used Arkham, Massachusetts...a common setting for Lovecraft's stories. Do note that the tone of the story tends to be dark. Rarely can I recall Lovecraft ever letting his heroes win against any major foe and such concepts have generally been recycled to the tabletop RPG I'm using. Death is cruel, quick, and very easy to accomplish in Call of Cthulhu. Cthulhu himself has an attack which basically reads "a random number of players are eaten by Cthulhu". Heck, lower rating enemies generally outclass people (with one having an attack reading "the investigator attacked is dead. Make a luck check to see if there is enough left of him/her to bury". The point is rarely to fight back. The game book is very blunt on that. The point is to investigate and survive. And this is why I don't mind writing a Cthulhu mythos story...I want to write something that doesn't test how good my description of combat is. Writing is poor for that in my view. I want to test if I can create atmospheres which are not unlike what I'd do in future works (such as my Fire Emblem hack...if I ever actually write out all my characters. I'm currently at the Isadora replacement...8 months in).

Bearing in mind that:
1) I haven't actually written stories since Grade 11 (now ~6 years ago) outside of short lived RPGs (ex - see this forum's RPG section).
2) I recycle characters. A lot. Many characters showing up in the aforementioned FEshrine RPGs will likely make an appearance here. I'm a writer who works with transposible characters and places them in different settings for different results.
3) I won't update with any consistency. I'm hacking Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Master of Orion, and using NHL games, Arkham Horror, Skyrim, Fallout (all), Sims, and Call of Cthulhu to make better characters. Oh, and studying for post graduate exams.
4) It would be anime influenced much like how Fire Emblem is an anime influenced high fantasy game. This also makes it slightly more optimistic (though that's kind of like saying Rebuild of Evangelion is more optimistic than Warhammer 40000. Before you ask, yes I am pretty much a nerd)
5) It will be bleak. As mentioned in 1), the last story I wrote in full was for a project...it was a depressing 10 page story about a soldier going through full PTSD after seeing his friend killed on Operation Overlord (D-Day). I'm not a good writer for purely optimistic work like Saturday morning cartoons. I'm more comfortable with ambiguous stories. Likely I'll take a "by the book" DM approach and let the dice fall where they may in terms of story whereas many anime-influenced games tend to provide "hero points" to make the players seem more heroic.

Anyways, is anybody interested?

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#2 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • Interests:Games and such. Anime and other stuff.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

Hell, I'll read this. I don't read many things. I need to read more.

Posted Image

Posted Image         Posted Image

#3 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

Sure, why not? I was once involved in a CoC attempt, but it quickly turned ridiculous and we were rarely all online past the first meeting, so we let it die. I'd like to see how a more successful run goes.

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

#4 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

I don't think I understand this/am qualified enough but you have me in spiritual support, at least XD (it has my "Blazer's Thumb of Approval" I guess you could say haha)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users