Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Ho-su Gallery

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ho-su

Ho-su

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

well after 2 weeks i have some stuff to show, but first y whant to say what I had been feeling so far...
user posted image
is my first time in GIMP and sprites stuff and i realy dont know if i doing it good or bad xD
anyway here it is my mug work
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
the chibis sucks will work on that later sleep.gif

Some battle animation

user posted image
he is the red-long hair guy, his name is Firon
Now im working in wite armour guy Aeron

user posted imageuser posted image
perhaps he still need more work...

#2 YakYak

YakYak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

First off, rule #1 of spriting is NEVER save you images as .jpgs. If you're not using .pngs, then your spriting life will have may iusues. Essentially, a .jpg tries to make the image look smother and more lifelike, but in the world of spriting, that means it screws up the color scheme and makes everything blurry.

I'm not really qualified to critique animations, but I can say that you have some frame overlap during the reset. Either its overlap or a motion blur that could use a little work.

#3 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:50 PM

Essentially, a .jpg tries to make the image look smother and more lifelike

...uh, what?

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#4 YakYak

YakYak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:19 AM

In photographs. .jpgs are designed to work with photographs, which means they are designed for images on the scale of millions of pixels, and so they screw up when you try to save a few hundred pixels in .jpg format. Long story and probable idiocy short, use .pngs for all your sprites.

#5 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:41 PM

It's obvious where you did stuff by hand. It's good to try, but you should definitely try to get a better feel for mugs before you try any custom work. I haven't attempted too much of that yet because every time I do it just looks sloppy and worse than anything you've done honestly. The second one has something off about her eyes. I think you just moved the eyes from another mug? when you do that you have to make sure you recolor the skin around the eye to match the face you just put them on. I can make a reference for you if you want to see what i'm talking about. On the 6th one you made the lines in his hair far too dark. It just doesn't look natural, use the color palette from another mug maybe? the 4th one has very chunky hair, if that's what you were going for well done, the shading is pretty good, and you got it to fit fairly well with the head. and the fifth one looks like his cheek is bulging a bit where the collar overlaps his head. I couldn't tell you how to fix that one other than use a different head that has a proper angle for that collar, or a different body that matches the angle of the head. you could even remove the collar and it would look just fine, but at that point you would have to put skin in by hand which is a pain. It is a small area so it wouldn't be terrible but still. I know I kinda tore these apart, but that's the best way to learn. If someone critiques your work as hard as I did you'll learn from it and hopefully won't be making mistakes for very long. Now here comes the praise ^.^. The first and second mugs are excellent for someone just starting like you say you are. And your battle sprites are really good too. I hope you keep it up because all of this is good for someone new to spriting. even with all the critique I gave you, at two weeks my stuff was far worse than this. Just as an example...

user posted image and that's not even the worst, I'm honestly too embarrassed to put that one up because it's horrifingly bad.

#6 Ho-su

Ho-su

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:12 PM

First, thx for the critics and the PNG advice it had help and finaly i have some time for relax and continue my news mains characters
The brothers Firon and Aeron remake
Tomas and Alice
Namire and Meledy

i have doubt about the collors, any suggestions?

Meanwhile in battle animation progres i still need more practice...

x (Click Here To Hide/Show Text)
user posted image

#7 YakYak

YakYak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

Liking the Farina/Tana mix, the colors contrast very well.

If I was any good with animations I would suggest putting some blur on the back jump and maybe altering the sword's path of motion to not look so much like an Eliwood redraw. Otherwise, it's pretty good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users