Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Fire Blazer : (15 September 2019 - 05:39 AM) I do kinda miss the days these forums were active :(
@  Ezra : (29 August 2019 - 04:14 PM) *BOX!!!*
@  kirant : (19 August 2019 - 12:49 PM) Huh. Bothammer time.
@  Elwood : (12 August 2019 - 05:57 AM) Oh, new posts! ...And it's bots. Kinda nostalgic actually.
@  xcrash1998 : (22 June 2019 - 09:24 PM) (Brushes dust of the Shoutbox)
@  Elwood : (17 June 2019 - 06:14 AM) *tumbleweed*
@  Lucina : (16 June 2019 - 09:19 AM) Whew. I haven't been here in forever.
@  Cero : (11 June 2019 - 06:51 PM) oof
@  kirant : (01 June 2019 - 05:54 PM) f
@  Fire Blazer : (30 May 2019 - 03:01 AM) rip
@  Valke : (29 May 2019 - 08:20 AM) bruh i deleted my discord a few months ago,,,,
@  Fire Blazer : (28 May 2019 - 01:59 AM) glad ur alive. join our Discord
@  Fire Blazer : (28 May 2019 - 01:59 AM) yo
@  Valke : (25 May 2019 - 03:08 PM) im alive, college finally gave me breaks (coupled with a few assignments i need to turn next week)
@  Valke : (25 May 2019 - 03:07 PM) hi
@  Valke : (25 May 2019 - 03:07 PM) guys
@  Fire Blazer : (25 March 2019 - 10:43 PM) how things have changed
@  Elwood : (12 March 2019 - 08:31 AM) (a sigh somewhere between small and large)
@  kirant : (12 March 2019 - 05:40 AM) (larger sigh)
@  Fire Blazer : (11 March 2019 - 08:49 PM) (small sigh)

Photo

Guess what? Education is wrecked. Just so you know.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Shu

Shu

Sealord

• GFX Artist
  • 1,450 posts
  • Interests:Pimpin'

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

Not sure how many of you guys have seen this...

user posted image
Gallery

I will not remove this until the Vikings win the Super Bowl - Started 1/28/11

"i had to google bukkake."
-Boney

#2 arimibn

arimibn

The Darkslayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  • Location:My body lies in Georgia...but my mind lives in Arthias.
  • Interests:I like Fire Emblem...Er...Legend Of Zelda...RPG's are a fav...er...Hmm...Just ask me if I like stuff!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought like this.
"You'll never forgive me? Like I give a damn."
"You got a jacked up notion of fair play pal...and it's beginning to piss me off."
"Though a fight every now and again does make life a little more interesting...dontcha think?"
Posted Image
^ This isn't dead, I swear!
Most of my closest friends have qualities that I despise. But I love them all regardless of their faults.
"Why are we trying to narrow God's mercy? I didn't realize there was a limit to how many people could go to heaven."

This will not be removed until I finish my Sprite Series. Arim and AJ VS The World Started December 19, 2013 (I actually still haven't given up on this! XD)

This will not be removed until The Demon Invasion is finished. Started December 19, 2013 (Hue)

3DS Friend Code 0834 - 1057 - 3616

#3 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:38 PM

Bazinga Oklahoma.

He has a major point on ADHD. While I do actually believe it exists, this is completely silly what is being shoved down our throats about it.

I also feel the US has major, major education issues, but that they lie more in getting people actively interested in the world around them first and foremost. Politicians warp themselves to what the people want and get away with things as nobody is watching them, leading to a warped and horribly obsolete political system. No country is doing this extremely well and a better way to get people working in a better model of political activism comes first and foremost IMO...or else, the country won't run as well as the theory points it to.

One interesting counterargument raised recently is the theory that ADHD is merely a maturity thing. Students who are born late and are young compared to their classmates have a massively high chance of being diagnosed with ADHD compared to their counterparts (if you're a sports fan, imagine in a draft a late born player compared to an early born player...the late born player, while worse, is nearly a year younger than the early born and may be a year behind in development).

I do agree to a large amount about the education system. All I've learned through school is how to fake. I get excellent grades into University (and still do) and can show off to a professor (or employer as I'm on internship right now), but I really don't give a damn about what I've learned. I never picked up the sense of ownership of my knowledge...I've never been "pulled in" by my work and it's something that's failed in education for years.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#4 arimibn

arimibn

The Darkslayer

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • Interests:I like Fire Emblem...Er...Legend Of Zelda...RPG's are a fav...er...Hmm...Just ask me if I like stuff!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

I couldn't agree more.

In my past few years of school, I noticed I wasn't really learning much. Just quick memorization to pass a test or something...I miss when school was actually interesting...when it made you WANT to learn. Or at least emphasized the importance of learning. Now all they really emphasize is getting good grades, etc...
"You got a jacked up notion of fair play pal...and it's beginning to piss me off."
"Though a fight every now and again does make life a little more interesting...dontcha think?"
Posted Image
Most of my closest friends have qualities that I despise. But I love them all regardless of their faults.
"Why are we trying to narrow God's mercy? I didn't realize there was a limit to how many people could go to heaven."

This will not be removed until I finish my Sprite Series. Arim and AJ VS The World Started December 19, 2013 (I actually still haven't given up on this! XD)

This will not be removed until The Demon Invasion is finished. Started December 19, 2013 (Hue)

#5 Ristau

Ristau

LIGHTS Super-fan

• Veterans
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (arimibn @ Mar 12 2012, 05:55 PM)
I couldn't agree more.

In my past few years of school, I noticed I wasn't really learning much. Just quick memorization to pass a test or something...I miss when school was actually interesting...when it made you WANT to learn. Or at least emphasized the importance of learning. Now all they really emphasize is getting good grades, etc...

This

I was fortunate enough to be in gifted educations from K-8 (although 6-8 was pretty dumb...) because it emphasized creativity, and nowadays all I am supposed to do is memorize stuff in Biology, which is total shit. I love the way our math teacher teaches because he only allows us to use formulas and shortcuts after he has explained why they work, so that way it's not just "memorize, and plug-in, repeat."
All of the history teachers are like this too, they think that memorizing dates of events is completely useless, and so we just learn content, which makes it so interesting.
Posted Image

#6 arimibn

arimibn

The Darkslayer

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:38 AM

Unfortunately...fewer teachers are thinking like this.
Posted Image

#7 Shu

Shu

Sealord

• GFX Artist
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:22 AM

Ironically enough, a teacher of mine is the person who showed me this video.

But it doesn't matter anyways...they're just doing their job, which I can respect.

Here's something I've learned from other information gathering I've done.

Somebody drops out of High School every 9 seconds, usually males. It's terrible. This is largely due to the fact that we live in a society that is very hands on. Many kids spend large amounts of time playing video games, which is an experience that requires you to be involved, and doing things of your own will. Our schools are set up so that you sit in a classroom while somebody stands and talks for what can go up to hours on end. It's a system that just DOESN'T WORK anymore.

This is why any politician or philosopher who endorses anything about taking steps backwards or trying to imitate anything that we did in the past doesn't know what he's talking about.
user posted image
Gallery

-Boney

#8 Bobryk

Bobryk

;/

• Veterans
  • 1,363 posts
  • Interests:Brunettes<br>Being awesome<br>Meat products

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:11 AM

There's a billion things wrong with the U.S education system both at grade school and college levels.

You don't learn squat by sitting in a lecture, nor do tests "test" your knowledge. As one of my high school teachers once said, tests only test your ability to memorize. Take the same test you did two years ago right now, without studying, and guaranteed you won't do well at all.

IMO, you only get knowledge through experience. But you can't get experience until you have a job or some other real-world application. Ultimately, graduating gives you the slip of paper that says you know things, and that gets you into the real world...then you finally start to learn.

Shu's absolutely right: The system just doesn't cut it anymore. It used to, but kids these days want more hands-on stuff. Which there's nothing wrong with...hands-on is the best way to learn. For some reason this made me think of boobs

And the people in charge of the education system wonder why there are so many dropouts >.>

That being said there are exceptions. I've taken a few course the past two years that have really stuck with me, and that's because the professors didn't just lecture for hours. I wish more teachers were like that.

And don't even get me started on how higher education (college) is absolutely broken...especially when it comes to money.
user posted image

#9 Shu

Shu

Sealord

• GFX Artist
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:42 AM

The classes that aren't affected by this as much would definitely be the arts.

Video Production, Ceramics, Graphic Design, things like that...all classes more often than not are electives that are taken only by people who are at least a tad interested in them. In addition, these classes are always hands on and involve a certain amount of creativity and allows a student to direct his or herself.

I've always done poorly in my worst subject, math, because I just don't give a shit about the ridiculous things they teach you, and also because it's boring and it makes no attempt to present itself as remotely interesting or important.

One of my best classes in the arts would be Video Production. At my high school, Video Production II put you in a job working with your fellow students to produce a school wide weekly news program. I learned more about the value of work, team communication and schedule maintenance than I did in any class I had ever taken before. In a class with around 30 people working on diverse jobs with only 2 supervisors, it's very likely that you won't be shadowed by anyone to keep you on task...it'd be YOUR job (Some people failed, some people flourish with this...my teacher mentioned that the job that I had as on-air graphics guy was a job that he had to keep tabs on in previous years due to the fact that it was a harder job that some kids just lazed through, but I was not like that. I went to school early, worked hard, all that shit. You never see that from me in a math class.).

Those things I learned will stick with me forever. Math won't. History won't. Parts of the English curriculum won't. Science won't.

My point being, it's gotten to the point where students will get more out of non-required classes than they will out of the core classes.

IT'S ALL BULLSHIT, MAN.
user posted image
Gallery

-Boney

#10 Golden Warrior

Golden Warrior

Good as Gold!

• Members
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:Video games, reading, writing, and other such creative things.

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

I can pretty much agree with everything here. I can't seem to find a sliver of creativity in MOST of my classes (The only one's are Drama and Art that are excluded). As everyone said, It all seems like short-term memorization.

I've always done poorly in my worst subject, math, because I just don't give a shit about the ridiculous things they teach you, and also because it's boring and it makes no attempt to present itself as remotely interesting or important.

I can agree. The things in math are ridiculous. When will we actually use them in life? Architects, maybe, but other-wise. I don't really know.

My point being, it's gotten to the point where students will get more out of non-required classes than they will out of the core classes.

It is true, I like art and drama better than all my other classes. It's more of a student creativity thing in those than in the aforementioned "core" classes.

Got Pokemon X/Y or OR/AS? Battle me! Or trade with me... Trading is cool too.
3DS FC: 5300-9087-1138 (PM me if you add me so I know to add you back.)

Have Smash Bros for Wii U? Battle me there too! 

Nintendo Network ID: GoldenWarriorX (No need to notify me in this case, it will.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users