Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

thanks internet

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:40 AM

https://youtu.be/pSsUhlXdMmQ

#2 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • Interests:Games and such. Anime and other stuff.

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:26 AM

Just gonna take the time here to say the way A-1 drew everything does not look good. 

Posted Image

Posted Image         Posted Image

#3 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:17 AM

Just gonna take the time here to say the way A-1 drew everything does not look good. 

Seconded. I've never played an AA game but the CGI and fairly simple artistic choices hurt me. 

A lot of A-1's work makes me sad...and this is no exception.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#4 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:48 AM

idk their work with persona 4 and valkyria chronicles 2 was alright. not saying it was great by any means, but certainly not cringey either.

#5 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:19 PM

idk their work with persona 4 [...] was alright. not saying it was great by any means, but certainly not cringey either.

I wish I had the same opinion...I compare the original Animation to Golden's and it feels so awkward saying that the original is just that much better most of the time.  And the original one had heavily "off model" moments, especially in the first 10-12 episodes.

I think the first example that comes to mind is the "True Story" performance.  It really does feel quite dull and lacks the dynamic nature each other rendition provides (something the in-game event seems to emphasize as this is part of the "enjoy every moment with your friends" notion the new events had).  Then comes the millions of questions about what exactly is happening with the audience.  Part of the time they're hopping, they're excited (ex - when you cut to Nanako).  The other half, they're static and not moving.  Similar to the cast...A-1 cut a lot of money by repeating the same few set of frames...but that comes off stilted and concerning when your single moving figure (and to some level of detail) is Marie.

(This completely ignores the fact that Chie is missing for half the animation)

Don't get me wrong...I'm not a huge fan of the original's work either.  It swung from terrible to excellent depending on the episode...but Golden got downright ugly at times. 

RedBlue.png

#6 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:59 AM

"just gonna take the time to be a hater"

*shot*

in all seriousness, I like the AA anime. the bad drawings/animation/etc. are bad but outside of a few moments don't particularly bother me since I just don't focus on them and don't let them. I'm curious to see this progress especially since it's been so long since I've played the games, and going in with poor expectations (since the animation studio doesn't exactly have a great reputation, even amongst people like me who don't really know their studios and don't really care...) just makes it easier to enjoy it for what it is.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#7 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:21 AM

Comparing to Sailor Moon Crystal, this is golden. I don't know what y'all are talking about "bad animation."

IUfb9Eg.png

#8 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:35 PM

Comparing to Sailor Moon Crystal, this is golden. I don't know what y'all are talking about "bad animation."

To be fair, comparing some of A-1's work to Crystal is like comparing a train wreck to a train wreck that happens on a dumpster fire with people dumping gasoline over it all.

RedBlue.png

#9 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:50 PM

i think at the very least it isn't worth turning away from simply because the animation isn't amazing. i honestly didn't have a problem with the quality, so much as some of the puns that aren't there because i don't understand much japanese XD i have to agree with leafy here honestly though. i've seen so much worse that i'm fine with something being "just ok"

#10 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:26 AM

i think at the very least it isn't worth turning away from simply because the animation isn't amazing. i honestly didn't have a problem with the quality, so much as some of the puns that aren't there because i don't understand much japanese XD i have to agree with leafy here honestly though. i've seen so much worse that i'm fine with something being "just ok"

I don't think any of us said anything against that.  Something good is something good even if it's flawed.  Heck, I'm one of the first to defend something if its animation isn't up to snuff.  This is a common point I'll make on the Slayers franchise which, even for the mid-90's, had "acceptable" animation quality at the best of times; it's qualities (fun characters, entertaining filler episodes, ability to flip between comedy and serious stories with incredible ease) outweigh its animated flaws and sometimes cookie cutter narrative.

What I think some of us are stating though is that the clip we see doesn't exactly exemplify good animation value.  A-1 is gaining a reputation real quickly for poorly done CGI, generic faces, and lacklustre production values via repeated animation or still frames...it seems like the Ace Attorney franchise is no different in their approach.  How that affects the actual narrative is outside the scope when the comments are primarily that the animation looks bad.

RedBlue.png

#11 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:19 AM

i think we're hitting on two different points entirely here tbh XD. i was trying to come up with a reply, but you pretty much already covered what i wanted to say. my point was that the animations aren't in fact that bad in the case of the AA anime since they are really quite true to the games. they could certainly have done much better, or at least cleaned it up a bit. but the ace attorney games are fairly simplistic themselves except for the backgrounds. i do agree with what you're saying as well, but i just see it a different way i guess? not really sure how to put it, but i think we may actually be seeing the animation itself differently because of our backgrounds. perspective is annoying tbh.

#12 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:16 AM

i think we're hitting on two different points entirely here tbh XD.

I was trying to address this line right here:

i think at the very least it isn't worth turning away from simply because the animation isn't amazing.

This line presents the implication that someone presented the opposite (that it's worth abandoning an anime based on poor animation production value), something I looked above and failed to find.  That's why I felt it was necessary to clarify that.

AA anime since they are really quite true to the games. they could certainly have done much better, or at least cleaned it up a bit. but the ace attorney games are fairly simplistic themselves except for the backgrounds. i do agree with what you're saying as well, but i just see it a different way i guess? not really sure how to put it, but i think we may actually be seeing the animation itself differently because of our backgrounds. perspective is annoying tbh.

I think the better way to look at it is that the animation in isolation is poor.  Whether or not that's really important is up to the anime's viewer.  I wouldn't have an opinion on that regard as I don't play AA games nor watch that anime.

RedBlue.png

#13 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:36 PM

This line presents the implication that someone presented the opposite (that it's worth abandoning an anime based on poor animation production value), something I looked above and failed to find.  That's why I felt it was necessary to clarify that.

that was simply exaggeration to make a point. i'm probably guilty of that more often than not. either that or it was me assuming you didn't want to watch it BECAUSE the animations were ugly(i forget now what my actual thought process behind typing that was). anyway i'll have to take responsibility for past zac's lame word choice, and say sorry =P

#14 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • 1,274 posts
  • Interests:Games and such. Anime and other stuff.

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:48 PM

Cfn6C-TW8AAlCFh.jpg

Posted Image

Posted Image         Posted Image

#15 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:49 PM

I hadn't seen that yet, but...ummm...yeah

#16 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 12:15 AM

Cfn6C-TW8AAlCFh.jpg

I see this and raise you this:

tumblr_n9q356cIm81ticxqco2_1280.png

that was simply exaggeration to make a point. i'm probably guilty of that more often than not. either that or it was me assuming you didn't want to watch it BECAUSE the animations were ugly(i forget now what my actual thought process behind typing that was). anyway i'll have to take responsibility for past zac's lame word choice, and say sorry =P

I can't tell either.  We really need a Sarcastica font.

RedBlue.png

#17 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 14 April 2016 - 03:58 AM

yeah same, like I'm well aware it's not great but that's not stopping me from enjoying it nor is it something I plan to dwell on or make a big deal of, since it's a video game adaptation and AA isn't terribly popular and the studio has the reputation that it does, it didn't really surprise me, lol

This line presents the implication that someone presented the opposite (that it's worth abandoning an anime based on poor animation production value), something I looked above and failed to find.

I think the better way to look at it is that the animation in isolation is poor.  Whether or not that's really important is up to the anime's viewer.

Kirant's right on both accounts tho

hopefully people just get the complaining out of the way after the first few episodes and get over it soon (though some people inevitably won't)

Cfn6C-TW8AAlCFh.jpg

lol. hadn't seen this yet either, but yeah, I'll give it's bad.

point still stands though. thankfully I have enough tolerance for such things and am not paying too much attention, I can understand someone else with a tendency to pay attention/with a personality where such things bother them a lot having their immersion broken and not being able to enjoy it as a result, which is unfortunate but I can't really blame them much, everyone has things they can't deal with~

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#18 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:43 AM

point still stands though. thankfully I have enough tolerance for such things and am not paying too much attention, I can understand someone else with a tendency to pay attention/with a personality where such things bother them a lot having their immersion broken and not being able to enjoy it as a result, which is unfortunate but I can't really blame them much, everyone has things they can't deal with~

I blame Eden of the East.  Some extremely obvious CGI has ruined my brain's ability to tune it out.  Now every time I see some CGI that's a little too obvious my brain warns me of it and I tell my brain to shut up.

RedBlue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users