Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

New "Fire Emblem if" Announced

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE (Fire Blazer @ Mar 22 2015, 09:19 PM)
[...]

I think you and I mean very different things when we say "balanced". What I mean is that character A is no better at beating the game nor any more or less important than character B (lords withstanding). I basically ask that the game can't turn into "Protect me Raven/Hector/Guy/Oswin" mode...in essence, what you state about character choice being arbitrary and downplayed is actually more capable under what I hope for in a "balanced game".

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#22 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:34 AM

he was referring to thematic balance rather than balancing particular units, classes, etc. tbh you can't have a great game without flaws. a "perfect" game would get boring very quickly for me because it would also be predictable. FE needs things like missing at 80% hit chance to be FE. if Ross never killed himself with a devil axe whilst striking a wall FE8 just wouldn't be the same. i do feel you on the gameplay balance issues though kirant. awakening on lunatic mode was basically just Freddie's adventure 'til Chrom and Robin got strong enough to do work on their own.

On another note, pair-up was confirmed to be in the next game...i'm starting to think FE is going to keep heading towards being...not easier to play per se, but easier to get into. not that that's a bad thing. i'm always looking forward to having more people to talk FE with, but i have a feeling people who have only played awakening(and any titles after) are going to get a shock when/if they go back to previous titles.

#23 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:03 AM

QUOTE (zac122 @ Mar 27 2015, 07:34 PM)
he was referring to thematic balance rather than balancing particular units, classes, etc.

Fair enough. I would probably argue that thematic balance is a lower concern these days though since most games will offer some variety or another of control over thematic balance. There are some games which don't but most of those fall under the rogue-like genre (ex - FTL or Darkest Dungeon) or are intentionally cruel coughDarkSoulscough.

Certainly a topic of discussion is how thematic balance influences the high/low fantasy scale. FE is typically leaning more to a high fantasy game these days (as oppose to heroic fantasy before0 so I certainly suspect game difficulty isn't going to be massive. I think the next game will be high fantasy given the limited info we got and how they've been shifting to that since Radiant Dawn.

QUOTE (zac122 @ Mar 27 2015, 07:34 PM)
On another note, pair-up was confirmed to be in the next game...i'm starting to think FE is going to keep heading towards being...not easier to play per se, but easier to get into. not that that's a bad thing. i'm always looking forward to having more people to talk FE with, but i have a feeling people who have only played awakening(and any titles after) are going to get a shock when/if they go back to previous titles.

I think that's always a part of long running franchises. People who play Persona 4 first always seem shocked when they can't control their AI in Persona 3 and need to wrestle their allies into not losing battles for them.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users