Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

What is the fucking deal with e-mails as usernames these days?

making anime lists is tiring

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:15 AM

For obvious reasons, this doesn't apply to this site.

But seriously, part of one's security is also having a hidden username. E-mail addresses are designed to be shared information. You basically lose half of your basic account protection unless you go out of your way to make a new e-mail for each site you use. I can kind of understand the convenience angle but what the hell is the deal with forcing it? Are they going to tell me to use phone numbers as passwords next?

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#2 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:04 PM

For obvious reasons, this doesn't apply to this site.

But seriously, part of one's security is also having a hidden username. E-mail addresses are designed to be shared information. You basically lose half of your basic account protection unless you go out of your way to make a new e-mail for each site you use. I can kind of understand the convenience angle but what the hell is the deal with forcing it? Are they going to tell me to use phone numbers as passwords next?

At first I was kind of confused by what you meant but I think I get it now: you mean when logging in, the combination is E-mail + password and not username + password? If so, I agree with what you're saying: I share some of my e-mails relatively openly and in various cases it's nice to have a separate username... but despite that it seems like a lot of sites require or have the option to login with an e-mail now and few have a username that isn't like on IPB forums where one's username is obvious/easy to figure out (IIRC even if you change your name on forums like these, there's the name change history, so I think one can figure out one's original username that they log in with or whatever)

I suppose at least a bot/hacker might have a harder time if it's not just the e-mail, though,  but what would I know, I ain't a bot or a hacker~ used to be a modder, but now I don't really consider myself one

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#3 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:15 PM

For cases like these forums where you can see name history and your username is the same as your default display name anyway, there's the flipside of the e-mail being (probably) stored elsewhere from the usernames since it's only really used for like confirmations and stuff. On that note, since there's so little reason to hack into forum accounts anyway, it becomes even stranger to arbitarily have this e-mail way of doing things on them. I actually brought this up because I had to make 4 accounts recently due to not having realized that I needed to use an e-mail to log on (and I was using a temporary e-mail, which never have memorable names) on two other websites...one of which involved having to reproduce my watched anime list, ugh. (Fortunately I had only included ones that I particularly wanted to remember that I saw, but that was still around 80 titles to re-add or so.)

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#4 Nils

Nils

Makes poems so bad you will cry.....out of pity xD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:Playing the guitar<br>Listening to Music (Rock, some jazz and a little bit of classical music)<br>Fire Emblem (Of course)<br>Video games in general (mostly FPS and RPG)<br>Reading<br>Cooking<br>Flying (Piloting)<br>Archery

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:10 PM

Probably because its easier to remember? I agree. it is a pretty big security risk.

But its annoying to make more than one account on things sometimes though :/

Hey everyone! If you're a KH or FF fan, please come to Castle Oblivion to discuss things about them!

Its a bit late now since the forum is practically dead. I almost keep this sig PURELY for sentimental value xD

user posted image

#5 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:56 PM

Personally i don't think there's any reason good enough to have your email be part of the login information. It takes an entire step out of a phishing attempt. Once you have an email you can just brute force a password anyway assuming you're patient enough. Aside from making hacking accounts easier though i guess you don't need to remember what your username is, but i typically make temp email accounts for games and stuff on the interwebs because i don't want my main thing getting spammed more than it already is.

#6 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:15 AM

Pretty much agree with all of ya'll. I think ultimately it comes down to the user side for people who are lazy or unconcerned with security or unable to handle too many details. It's like, on one hand, having a separate username is good, but on the other, it's like... hey, I have one more thing to remember: instead of just having to know an e-mail and a password (and people likely have multiple of those) one needs to know a username too (and at least for me, I have many of these) so boom, it just adds extra work

not the greatest logic, but it's kind of like only having one lock on your front door instead of two because it's easier for you yourself to get in and out, though it's also easier for someone unwanted to get in and out (especially if you slip up and leave the door unlocked and there's no 2nd lock...).

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users