Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

I need help with FEditor and portrait formatting!!

FEditor help portrait format

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Falcon Punch!!

Falcon Punch!!

Thor's Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:I'm a FE expert...of sorts.

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:20 AM

Hello, my name is Roro, I'm a new member and I am aspiring to be a FE hacker. However, I am a bit stumped at this roadblock called portrait formatting. I used a sprite I found that looks like the person I am trying to put into my FE hack, and I watched flyingace's tutorial on the subject, but he rarely touched on the subject that is of concern to me. I did everything else correctly and I entered my sprite into the ROM (FE7), but the tiles on the bottom picture in FEditor are all messed up and can't be fixed by just moving them around as seen in the tutorial. I included a screen capture of what my current screen looks like on FEditor. If you can help, that would be absolutely awesome and much-appreciated!! :D Attached File  whyyyy.PNG   18.39KB   1 downloads

Spacebaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllssssssssssss

#2 Falcon Punch!!

Falcon Punch!!

Thor's Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:37 AM

is this stolen

Not necessarily. I was planning on putting the name of the creator in my credits (if I ever finish lol).

#3 Elwood

Elwood

Crusader of Light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:29 AM

Basically if it won't line up even by moving them it was formatted incorrectly. You would need to reformat it. Merc is correct though, if you did not make this be sure to include that in your post. Stealing is a very serious thing in the FE community.

Fe-Shrine-sig.png
I will not remove this until I complete the Ritual of the Mahjarrat quest in Runescape - started 4/18/15 - completed 12/20/15

QUOTE (SmashedFish @ Jan 21 2013, 12:21 PM)  Bobryk's expertise with boobs is not to be doubted

#4 Falcon Punch!!

Falcon Punch!!

Thor's Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:43 AM

Basically if it won't line up even by moving them it was formatted incorrectly. You would need to reformat it. Merc is correct though, if you did not make this be sure to include that in your post. Stealing is a very serious thing in the FE community.

I knew it. I find it very hard for me to align it all properly and get the perfect dimensions. Would it help if I posted the picture of my actual format in Microsoft Paint? Maybe we could see what I keep doing wrong and fix it with help from you guys? And yes, I should have posted that it was not made by me. As someone who likes recognition for what I do, I should know above all that I must recognize those of who made my dream possible! I'm just excited to actually be making at least a bit of progress, as someone who quits on things very easily! Thank you guys for your help!

#5 Falcon Punch!!

Falcon Punch!!

Thor's Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Merc. I will be sure to be extra careful about this in the future. I can't fix this minor error I have now, so I just have remind everyone about it before they play lol.

#6 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:06 PM

After looking at the picture again you definitely have something formatted wrong with the frames. The eye frame on the portrait is bringing along some of the mini-mug. That's not normal. If you want to send me the portrait with frames I'll try to fix it up for you(or a link to the original maybe). Anyway if you're set on doing it yourself just take another look at the way you formatted the frames because something is definitely off there

#7 Falcon Punch!!

Falcon Punch!!

Thor's Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:34 PM

After looking at the picture again you definitely have something formatted wrong with the frames. The eye frame on the portrait is bringing along some of the mini-mug. That's not normal. If you want to send me the portrait with frames I'll try to fix it up for you(or a link to the original maybe). Anyway if you're set on doing it yourself just take another look at the way you formatted the frames because something is definitely off there

I attached the portrait from both Usenti and MSpaint. I'm just very confused about it lol. Thanks for all the help, Zac!

Attached Files

#8 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:51 PM

Don't expect anything right away; I'm a little busy right now. I'll try to have it fixed by Friday though.

#9 Falcon Punch!!

Falcon Punch!!

Thor's Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:57 AM

Don't expect anything right away; I'm a little busy right now. I'll try to have it fixed by Friday though.

It's not a problem. I've got other sprites to work on and stuff like that, so I'll stay busy for awhile too. But again, I really appreciate it!

#10 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:25 PM

well i took a look at it, and not one thing is formatted properly. since you didn't make it you probably don't know what i'm talking about, but to fix it i would have to do everything over from the start. right now I just don't have the time to do that, and honestly I wouldn't want to anyway. my advice would be to make sure your sources are formatted properly before trying to use them, or just make your own portraits that way you can't have that problem unless you mess something up. sorry I couldn't help you out, but I can give you something else that has been formatted properly if you want. the frames aren't beautiful, but you should be able to put it into the game no problem.

Edit: actually I never made frames for the one I have in mind, so if it's in the game it won't blink or have a talking animation. not really all that important since what you want is something that will go in properly.

#11 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:59 PM

I just tried formatting the portrait. There is no big issue like having to do everything over or anything. The biggest problem on it would probably either be that roro never formatted it themselves in the first place (the mouth/eye frames aren't color matched) or that for whatever reason he changed some outline colors after he did so.

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#12 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:10 PM

I only glanced at the sizes and stuff. Nothing was done properly so I just closed paint. No real need to do anything with it since I can offer one we know he'll have permission to use clearing up any issue of stealing work.

#13 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:46 PM

That's if we only have one case of stolen work. There's some level of implication that apparently there are enough cases of this to be considered a large investment.

I will be sure to be extra careful about this in the future. I can't fix this minor error I have now, so I just have remind everyone about it before they play lol.

I've got other sprites to work on and stuff like that, so I'll stay busy for awhile too. 

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#14 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:06 PM

That's fair. Either way he's most likely not going to stick around much longer since most of us will be unwilling to help, and you're all but being openly hostile.

#15 Knight of Argentum

Knight of Argentum

Maximus Imperator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Saepe in arcas verborum scribere obliviscor.

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:06 AM

I'm honestly more curious as to why Merc deleted posts, or maybe my FES is just dumb.

I'm not sure I can offer much on hacking, but I have a few words towards the theft; you should really be more careful. In cases like this, nobody cares if the intent was good or malicious. Theft is theft, and I'm inclined to agree with Merc that there are too many signs of theft here and a large investment. 

#16 Knight of Argentum

Knight of Argentum

Maximus Imperator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Saepe in arcas verborum scribere obliviscor.

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:19 AM

Ah. That makes sense. 

#17 Falcon Punch!!

Falcon Punch!!

Thor's Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:10 AM

I'm being ganged up upon on my own thread lol. So much hostility!

#18 Falcon Punch!!

Falcon Punch!!

Thor's Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:04 AM

I don't know the rules of a forum because I've never been apart of one. If I knew I was supposed to give credit where it was due, believe me, I sure as hell would. It sounds silly, but it's all I know. I don't know how this forum works and I get persecuted for it, and I don't think it to be fair. I'm not trying to come across as an ass or anything, but it doesn't seem fair for a newcomer like me to get so much hate for my ignorance.

#19 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:11 AM

"If I knew I was supposed to get credit"? Really? I don't say this to be rude or anything, but isn't it common sense to give credit to someone if you use their work? Isn't it common sense to ask someone's permission before using their work? Even if you don't know how forums work that's a rule of life.

But I have to let you know that you aren't really being hated on. We certainly haven't been accomodating, but nothing so far as hating on you. We haven't ganged up on you. so far all that has happened is mercurius pointed out your mistakes, and a few of us agreed. Just to make it clear in case you missed something, using someone else's work without asking and without giving permission is theft. It's a huge deal in the fire emblem community, and it's not the way to make a good impression. Even if you did get permission we don't have any sign of that here. It's unlikely that you have permission to use that portrait though since you yourself said you've never been part of a forum.

I think the best thing to do from here would be to ask a moderator to close the topic just to avoid anymore escalation, and then make a thread for your hack. Or better yet just post on other threads that are already there for awhile. Make sure people know who you are before coming to us with this stuff. We're more likely to be polite about how we address any issues that come up once we get to know you. Forums aren't just a place to ask for help, it's a community of like minded people having fun talking to each other.

#20 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:19 AM

"If I knew I was supposed to get credit"? Really? I don't say this to be rude or anything, but isn't it common sense to give credit to someone if you use their work? Isn't it common sense to ask someone's permission before using their work?

If it was, artists wouldn't have to keep reminding everyone. Also for the most part Fire Emblem spriters have used art countless times that they haven't asked for, since you have to for almost every splice that exists, so wherever common sense may be, logically it doesn't really make much sense to give your respects for a bunch like that. (There's also doujins and fanfics for the use of characters most likely without permission, and let's not get into how much unofficial merchandise local shops are selling that is obvious plagarism. There's also collages and those ridiculous "artworks" that are just a novel use of photographs of other people's art.)

I don't know the rules of a forum because I've never been apart of one.

I don't remember the rules of this forum either, for the record. I think the part that stuck out the most in my memory was "Don't PM Blazer" and "Signatures have to be under a certain size"(and I don't even remember what the size is) This is an FE community-wide thing, and probably the most gratuitous of anything you can do in them.

I don't know how this forum works and I get persecuted for it, and I don't think it to be fair. I'm not trying to come across as an ass or anything, but it doesn't seem fair for a newcomer like me to get so much hate for my ignorance.

Here's an important life lesson for you: Everyone hates the ignorant victimized the most. It doesn't matter how legitimate the reason is, what they are ignorant of, how hypocritical they are in doing so, or if they are even actually ignorant. They just pretend it's okay for younger people (and sometimes they don't) to be that way on the pretense of them not hitting the maturity line yet, and on the internet where we are largely faceless, ages stop being relevant. They hate them more than murderers and rapists to get the point across, because humans tend to have a hard time actually putting themselves in a superior position to the latter two due to their own ignorance of criminals and due to how the crime is a threat rather than a display of weakness. It's the worst defense you can use.

Besides, more than anything, what's relevant is that you didn't stop after being told that it wasn't an acceptable thing to do, and you even acknowledged the warning, so this is really just selective ignorance for convenience, the kind that I'm specifically pissed over.

And I won't fool anyone, I am totally trying to come across as an ass, before you try to go on about how the one that says these kinds of things isn't in the right. I won't try to be one of those people who are like "oh, but I'm just trying to help, I'm the good guy here!" either. I want you out of here, preferably off the Fire Emblem community and its related activities entirely, and that's all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users