Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Can I use Fire Emblem Tilesets?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 StrongJoshua

StrongJoshua

Programmer, Gamer, Swimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Programming (Java, Objective-C)<br>Gaming (Team Fortress 2, Fire Emblem, whatever)<br>Swimming

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:52 AM

So I want to program a fire emblem-esque game for ios and I need good tilesets to use. Obviously the most fitting one would be the original tilesets from the FE games. Would I be allowed to use these tilesets for a commercial game or would I get in trouble (and if I would, could I just change a few things for me to to no longer be liable)?

Thanks,
StrongJoshua
My YouTube Channel
My Website (For my programming projects and stuff)

user posted image

#2 Ristau

Ristau

LIGHTS Super-fan

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

You'd have to recreate them from scratch, with small differences, to be legally eligible to use them. Flappybird, for example, did NOT use original Mario sprites, but rather recreations.

Technically it wouldn't be legal to make small edits to the original either, as you are still using property that does not belong to you to do so. My advice to you is to "recreate" (wink wink) the tilesets since no one ever has to know that you simply made small edits.
Posted Image

#3 StrongJoshua

StrongJoshua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Programming (Java, Objective-C)<br>Gaming (Team Fortress 2, Fire Emblem, whatever)<br>Swimming

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Fisty Risty @ Apr 27 2014, 10:09 AM)
You'd have to recreate them from scratch, with small differences, to be legally eligible to use them. Flappybird, for example, did NOT use original Mario sprites, but rather recreations.

Technically it wouldn't be legal to make small edits to the original either, as you are still using property that does not belong to you to do so. My advice to you is to "recreate" (wink wink) the tilesets since no one ever has to know that you simply made small edits.

Sounds good smile.gif What I might end up doing is taking my favorite FE tileset and more or less manually copying the tiles, while adding my own "style" (I guess) to them. How much I end up changing will depend on the amount of time/willpower I have at that point tongue.gif Thanks for the clarification! If the idea turns into a good project then I'll start up a thread talking about it smile.gif
My YouTube Channel

user posted image

#4 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:22 AM

Haha, keep us posted! I'd love to see it when you get some progress.

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

#5 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:56 AM

the more differentiable they are, the better

think "the big picture", just changing the palette of the tileset, for instances, isn't going to get you free

recreating it with a slightly different style probably will

if you ever do recreate it and make good tilesets, let me know, I might buy them off you

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#6 StrongJoshua

StrongJoshua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE (Fire Blazer @ Apr 28 2014, 12:56 AM)

if you ever do recreate it and make good tilesets, let me know, I might buy them off you

So, if I do recreate some tilesets that actually look half decent, do I automatically own all the rights to them (since I created them) and can enforce no commercial usage unless the user has bought a license or whatever?
My YouTube Channel

user posted image

#7 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

I'm not a lawyer but AFAIK anything you create that can be deemed your own is automatically copyrighted

However it is not trademarked or patented automatically so you still have to worry about those

When it comes to graphical work, if there isn't any IP in there that isn't your own (e.g. Mario), it's yours. It's art work, if someone uses it without your permission and makes money off of it, that's illegal. Of course, as with anything, trying to enforce people not to use stuff for free is a lot harder (no one stops us from using FE official art, for instance, lol).

As far as selling it to people goes, you'd have to come up with some sort of terms where they're allowed to use it under certain circumstances etc., which can be a bit complicated and would require some looking into. For instance though, in a project I'm working on as part of the contract I've got certain access to the graphical assets and can edit them within a certain extent though I can't claim they're owned by me and this was written in a semi-formal contract

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#8 StrongJoshua

StrongJoshua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:18 AM

Maybe I'll try to do something like the agreements you get when you install a program and restrict the download until you pay (and figure out a way to keep track of who paid and who didn't). I do think I'll at least attempt to do an overworld tileset and if that goes well I'll try to do other settings as well! But that will have to wait for a bit until AP tests are over :3
My YouTube Channel

user posted image

#9 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

Hmm, sounds complicated, but hey, it's your problem, and your solution... tongue.gif

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#10 Ristau

Ristau

LIGHTS Super-fan

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE (Fire Blazer @ Apr 29 2014, 01:06 PM)
I'm not a lawyer but AFAIK anything you create that can be deemed your own is automatically copyrighted

However it is not trademarked or patented automatically so you still have to worry about those

A patent is just for an idea or whatever so noone can copy it. For example, you patent a drug so no one else can sell a drug of the same chemical formula.

Trademarks are just for names, correct?

So that stuff shouldn't even matter anyway.

smile.gif
Posted Image

#11 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

I'm just sayin'

If he came up with something extremely innovative in terms of how tilesets work or maybe he created a name for them and wanted to trademark them

that's a bit much though, I think

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#12 StrongJoshua

StrongJoshua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:08 AM

So what would be the best resolution? 16x16 or 32x32? 32 is more detailed, but takes much longer to make and I can always upscale the 16 if I have to... I'd still like a second opinion, but I think 16 is more realistic for my capabilities and time constraints.
My YouTube Channel

user posted image

#13 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

I'd say go for 16x16 for the time being, and move on up to 32x32 if you find the time to and you don't have another choice.

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users