Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

BPS Patching?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Black Man

Black Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

I know BPS works for SNES games, but does it work just as good for GBA and DS roms? From what I hear, .bps patches are more accurate than .ups patches, and way more accurate than .ips patches. Apparently it also does the patching in a different manner from what I've heard. I personally use BPS patches for my work, and they work wonders.

If it can't be the primary use around here, maybe have it around as an option? Floating IPS (google it) allows creation and application for patches, maybe that could be put on the downloads section?

Just a suggestion.

#2 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

I think it should work fine for GBA games, but I'm not sure how it works for DS games as I haven't looked too much into it. I do recall seeing it but it's slightly difficult to get people to change to a new patching format. IPS patches are pretty bad but UPS patches are solid and assuming my memory isn't failing me here, BPS patches are better but again, it comes down to stuff like "are people going to start creating patches in this format" and more importantly, "are users smart enough to patch files using this format"--a lot of people can't figure out how to patch stuff on their own, which is the worry of some people.

I'd totally have it around as an option though and I'll look into promoting it a little bit more when I get the chance. As for the Downloads section, see the post I made in your intro thread regarding that, where to put it briefly, I said it's a huge W.I.P. I just made so that's why there's not much there at the moment and I was sort of looking for feedback and for people to take interest in the concept.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#3 Black Man

Black Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:43 AM

Good to hear. I think BPS format is superior to UPS, and vastly superior to IPS. (do people still use that?)

I'd like to see it honed as an option. I'd tote Floating IPS around as not only does it create and apply BPS patches, but it also does the same for UPS patches. A double-tool I would like to call it.

I understand that the user base is probably in the midst of a process of conversion from IPS to UPS, so maybe have it as an option for now, then maybe later promote its use.

Has anyone tested BPS files on DS ROMs yet? I'm interested to see how the transition on those fares.

#4 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:10 AM

Yeah, people still use IPS. Idk why. Also IIRC BPS does work on DS (though it's been a while since I looked into it) and that's one of the reasons it's superior to UPS.

One of the issues to keep in mind is multi-platform usage; how's that? If you could fill me in as much as you can about it I'd be happy to add it and give a little info about it. Thanks happy.gif

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#5 Black Man

Black Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (Blazer @ Jul 25 2013, 10:10 PM)
Yeah, people still use IPS. Idk why. Also IIRC BPS does work on DS (though it's been a while since I looked into it) and that's one of the reasons it's superior to UPS.

One of the issues to keep in mind is multi-platform usage; how's that? If you could fill me in as much as you can about it I'd be happy to add it and give a little info about it. Thanks happy.gif

You mean it's usage on Linux, Mac versions, and all the versions of Windows? I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.

Edit: I haven't really found any source of information about Floating IPS on what platforms it works on. I do, however, know the Author of Floating IPS is Alcaro, who is located on http://www.smwcentral.net if you have questions to ask him about the program. You can also ask him other related questions if you want, such as maybe finer details about BPS patching.

Also, I made a minor mistake. Floating IPS supports BPS patching and IPS patching, not UPS patching. I have no idea what I was thinking when I made that post. But that aside, if I had more information I'd be glad to let you know what I know.

#6 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

^Up, exactly.

Also I probably won't add anything for a while as the mainsite is currently undergoing a revamp in both design and content and until then I'd like to keep things sort of static so we can focus on updating everything to the new design--in case it's not clear, I want to avoid updating it on the old layout only to have to fix it on the new layout again as well as not divert my attention from our current focus. XP

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#7 Black Man

Black Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

I can give you one guarantee though -- Floating IPS does work on Windows 7.

#8 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

Well, I suppose it'll work for me, but yeah the OS compatibility of a patching format is definitely an issue since I've had to deal with mac users before and linux and other users also need some way to patch things (UPS has its ways and while IPS is obsolete, it has its ways too, naturally it takes time for people to invent ways for other systems).

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#9 Black Man

Black Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

Yeah. When I searched Floating IPS, all I got in the search results were download links, with no additional info about the program, so I couldn't find out much about it.

Which is why I left you with a way to contact the person who created it, because I have no other way to find out.

#10 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

Haha, alright, I'll try to do it if I can.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users