Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Fire Blazer : (24 May 2020 - 11:23 AM) sigh
@  xcrash1998 : (24 April 2020 - 12:35 PM) I will let blazer know
@  Fujisaki : (23 April 2020 - 08:16 PM) Yeah, sure. Hopefully that'll be more livelier than here.
@  xcrash1998 : (23 April 2020 - 09:37 AM) Just came here after I saw you replying to my PM lol
@  xcrash1998 : (23 April 2020 - 09:36 AM) We have a discord now, maybe you want to join
@  Fujisaki : (22 April 2020 - 10:33 PM) Oh well. If anyone's interested, hit me up on discord. I'm usually active on there...
@  Fujisaki : (22 April 2020 - 10:17 PM) Thought the place would liven up with Three Houses being released last year...lol...whoops.
@  Fujisaki : (22 April 2020 - 10:13 PM) HOLY FUCK I REMEMBERED MY LOGIN SHIT.
@  Fire Blazer : (18 March 2020 - 03:18 AM) hope everyone is managing ok...
@  kirant : (03 March 2020 - 05:41 AM) New challenger approaching!
@  xcrash1998 : (26 February 2020 - 09:55 AM) Not anymore
@  Mage Girl : (17 February 2020 - 02:33 AM) I can safely say I'm so far the only person to post to this shoutbox in 2020...
@  Fire Blazer : (24 December 2019 - 03:17 AM) naw, it's when the bots make collaborated efforts to crawl places, lol
@  kirant : (23 December 2019 - 05:20 AM) What do we do on Index Day? Give each other bots?
@  Fire Blazer : (16 December 2019 - 01:39 AM) LOL
@  xcrash1998 : (30 November 2019 - 11:07 PM) New fictional holiday "Index Day"
@  Fire Blazer : (28 November 2019 - 08:52 PM) yeah just guest bots and stuff I think :( we really were active once upon a time though...
@  kirant : (26 November 2019 - 03:48 PM) No invasion. I imagine a lot of guest bots visiting for indexing purposes.
@  xcrash1998 : (26 November 2019 - 02:15 PM) How is most people online at 959 for the 8th of October of this year? Is that right? Did I miss something or was there somekind of spambot invasion?
@  xcrash1998 : (26 November 2019 - 02:06 PM) I know what you mean, it gets awkard to post something unrelated to the current conversation, and even if somebody picks up on it, it would just become a huge mess in the c hatbox if a multitude of groups talk about different topics.

Photo

Capital Punishment: Yay, or nay?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

I don't get the variety either. Why so many choices for how do die? Witty comments in the papers?

#22 Leo

Leo

Gender Non-Conformist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (Felover3 @ April 04, 2009 06:21 pm)
^ I was talking the execution itself, not the imprisonment before hand.

Sometiems, humanity is not the best solution....

A box of bullets is like $20

Makes you wonder what they are spending it on...

They both need to be taken into account, to more accurately compare the two options.

A lot of the cost is the amount of legal work, appeals, trials etc. needed, 'cause no one wants to execute an innocent.

Of Raven heart and Sable mind.

#23 Sothe

Sothe

Whisper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:56 PM

Felover, we don't shoot prisoners, anymore, I don't think. We shock them to death. Electric Chair. In most States, I think.
user posted image

Signature by Shu.

---

Soren Sonata, Kelly.

#24 Tino

Tino

Omega Member

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:15 PM

Hah, Holland doesn't even have capital punishment anymore. Or at least, it's illegal. Murder a murderer, and you'll get treated as a murderer, which basically means you'll get a huge-ass long time to spend in jail.

#25 Soviet Comrade

Soviet Comrade

Mega Member

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:???????????? ??????????

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:26 AM

How much are pillows? Those are pretty easy to kill with.

#26 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Interests:dingleberries

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:11 AM

Ok think of this. I kill you (not aiming at anyone here). Your mom, dad, siblings, grandparents, aunts and uncles, girl/boyfriend or husband/wife and all your friends have to go without you and grieve you. Do you think I deserve my life anymore? I just caused countless people to go through unimaginalbe suffering, and yet some people think it's unhumane to kill me back? Was it humane for me to kill you? Or does that not count just because it didn't cost any money or was on a scheduled date? I say if you kill somebody you no longer deserve to keep your own life. You just made it worthless.
user posted image

#27 Tsuki-Hime

Tsuki-Hime

Whiney Fucking Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Anime, RP'ing, Sleeping, Eating, Resting..... well I couldn't think of much I'm content not having a social life:P

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:13 AM

^An eye for an eye I like that theory:P

@Ephidel; I must disagree strongly with your original post, serial killers/rapists/arsonists(depending on the death/damage) etc are all valid but wife/child beaters shouldn't be killed.

It's undeniable fact that adult men>women/children in strength but that doesn't really make the act of beating someone else up any more criminal then beating up a fellow man. Your ideology of women and children being a worse crime comes from the level of strength, so if a bodybuilder beat up a geeky college student who spent the majority of his life on online games (or chess if you want to go classic) it's quite clear there is a wide gap in strength. Yet both are adult men.

To be frank your comment is sexist, it implies women need special laws to protect them, since they are weaker. If you look at most societies they're not built in terms of survival of the (physically) fittest. Children however I'm willing to argue, especially if they're your own kids who you are legally required to look after.

A funny quote I read somewhere.
Man A: Please don't kill me, I have a wife and three kids.
Man B: Don't kill me either, I'm engaged and expecting kids who'll support them?
Man C: Yeah don't kill me either mate, I gotta go out to the pub with me drink buddies on Sunday and it's me turn to pay for them.
Terrorist: Okay so who doesn't have anyone who'll grieve for them
*Silence*
Terrorist:Right so all your lives are equal and you'll all die equally.

#28 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE (Tino @ April 05, 2009 12:15 am)
Hah, Holland doesn't even have capital punishment anymore. Or at least, it's illegal. Murder a murderer, and you'll get treated as a murderer, which basically means you'll get a huge-ass long time to spend in jail.

Most of Europe (if not all) lacks capital punishment, and murder just results in jail time, as you said.

#29 Leo

Leo

Gender Non-Conformist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (Tino @ April 04, 2009 11:15 pm)

Most people here who are support Capital Punishment are those who live in a country where it is practised.
Which ties in with the interesting fact that when CP was first outlawed in Germany, 73% of the population supported it, while the German support for it today is 18%.
People find acceptable what they are used to.

But seriously, CP is the old concept "an eye for an eye". Which was outdated 2000 years ago, when Jesus said:

38"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Actually Jesus had a lot of good stuff to say about this:

You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder,and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.

#30 Tsuki-Hime

Tsuki-Hime

Whiney Fucking Bitch

• Members
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Anime, RP'ing, Sleeping, Eating, Resting..... well I couldn't think of much I'm content not having a social life:P

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:45 AM

38"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

And the benefits of that is what?

You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder,and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.

I'm condemned to the "fire of hell" then. Ah well better then an ideological utopia that can't possibly be as good as portrayed I guess.

#31 Holy Kensai

Holy Kensai

Kaiser.

• Veterans
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:06 AM

Hm. I say screw capital punishment. If someone was killed, chances are they deserved it. I'm anti-humans, so. tongue.gif

Think about it, millions of "souls" and only you succeeded. For you to live millions had to die. That's just directly. Indirectly there's all the possible futures for each "soul".
QUOTE (Ryrumeli)
Yeah, that is what we get. Never mess with Kensai. XD

QUOTE (badkiara103)
Who doesn't want to kill a helpless little girl.

The Holy Kensai Fan Club!
Holy Kensai Suzaku Seraph Ryoku Mankut8397 Blazer Oblivion Riadansen Caladbolg Pie

#32 Leo

Leo

Gender Non-Conformist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (Aya-Tsuki @ April 06, 2009 01:45 am)

And the benefits of that is what?

I'm condemned to the "fire of hell" then. Ah well better then an ideological utopia that can't possibly be as good as portrayed I guess.

The benefit is a better, nicer world to live in. Violence begets violence.

lolz, I'm an atheist, I don't believe in any of this heaven and hell business. But I do think Jesus was a very progressive thinker for his time, and said a lot of stuff that makes sense.

#33 Sothe

Sothe

Whisper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:54 AM

It's undeniable fact that adult men>women/children in strength but that doesn't really make the act of beating someone else up any more criminal then beating up a fellow man. Your ideology of women and children being a worse crime comes from the level of strength, so if a bodybuilder beat up a geeky college student who spent the majority of his life on online games (or chess if you want to go classic) it's quite clear there is a wide gap in strength. Yet both are adult men.
No, see, domestic abuse is not assaulting someone, it is beating them over and over again, manipulating them to forgive you, and beating them again. And for God's sake, don't tell me it isn't. My friend's step father abused her and her mother, and I grew up with a man who abused his wife. I know this.

To be frank your comment is sexist
How so?

it implies women need special laws to protect them, since they are weaker. If you look at most societies they're not built in terms of survival of the (physically) fittest. Children however I'm willing to argue, especially if they're your own kids who you are legally required to look after.
You said that men are stronger than women. If you agree that men are wired stronger physically, why NOT make laws to protect them? Women are often, not always, but often weaker than most men. It's only fair to protect the weak from the strong. It may not be common, but it is definitely fair. Protecting the weak from the strong is just right.
user posted image

Signature by Shu.

---

Soren Sonata, Kelly.

#34 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • 1,977 posts
  • Interests:dingleberries

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:00 PM

I'm with Aya-Tsuki I mean "turning the other cheek" could get you killed. If some guy stabs me I'm not gonna say "Thats ok I don't mind. I'll just die quietly and let you take all my stuff." If someone hits me im hitting them back twice as hard.
user posted image

#35 Sothe

Sothe

Whisper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (A1C Grey Peterson @ April 11, 2009 05:00 pm)
I'm with Aya-Tsuki I mean "turning the other cheek" could get you killed. If some guy stabs me I'm not gonna say "Thats ok I don't mind. I'll just die quietly and let you take all my stuff." If someone hits me im hitting them back twice as hard.

That's my philosophy...except I don't like to hit a woman. I will hit a woman, but only if she hits me first.
user posted image

Signature by Shu.

---

Soren Sonata, Kelly.

#36 DH_Ninja

DH_Ninja

Pro Lurker

• Veterans
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:59 PM

Statistically, it cost alot more to kill someone then to keep them imprisioned, just throwing that out there.

#37 Felover3

Felover3

feLURKER

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Interests:Archery, Guns, Ballroom Dancing, Cooking, Board Games, Magic TCG, Gaming, FE, Lost in Blue.

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:03 AM

^Already pointed that out DH xD

Too many costs, once people relize that scum must be treated as scum, then the costs may be reversed in terms of cost efficiency.
-------------------------------------
The Legendary Lurker

"When life gives you lemons, squeeze them in someone's eyes and steal whatever the hell life gave them." ~Me

Has a Blazor Favor

#38 Sothe

Sothe

Whisper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE (DH_Ninja @ April 11, 2009 06:59 pm)
Statistically, it cost alot more to kill someone then to keep them imprisioned, just throwing that out there.

Because we kill in a stupid fashion. Bullets > Fancy electricity and anesthesia.
user posted image

Signature by Shu.

---

Soren Sonata, Kelly.

#39 Leo

Leo

Gender Non-Conformist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (Ephidel @ April 12, 2009 12:48 am)

Because we kill in a stupid fashion. Bullets > Fancy electricity and anesthesia.

Except that prison guards complained when they got splashed by possibly AIDS infected blood.

#40 DH_Ninja

DH_Ninja

Pro Lurker

• Veterans
  • 421 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:54 PM

*sighs* No, you seem to forget we have a legal system where you can just appeal and appeal and appeal and appeal. It cost alot to have a trial. It happens alot trials where the outcome is execution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users