Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Streaming the game!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 25 December 2015 - 05:30 PM

If anyone's interested, I will be streaming the game (in English!) on Twitch and may or may not upload the videos to YouTube later. This includes English commentary with some basic translating (I mostly just say the gist of what they're saying/what's going on, especially because I'm not fluent in Japanese, and I am likely to make mistakes).

My twitch is at http://www.twitch.tv/burninggravity so feel free to tune in (and say hi if you do, haha) =)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#2 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:27 PM

Will you be uploading these videos to youtube later?

IUfb9Eg.png

#3 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:09 AM

I'm considering it, but I'm lazy and it depends on how the stream quality is. If it's too much work... probably not. Also, the game's story is really boring to me and I've gotten less and less interested in it, to the point I'm struggling to focus and pay attention to it. I'm going to take a break from streaming for a bit though so hopefully I'll have more fun later. The gameplay is great though and that's my main motivation to play... but outside of some funny moments in the dialog, the cutscenes are just not hooking me. I guess the premise just isn't my thing after all, and the plot elements aren't building up any real sense of suspense or danger or anything. >_>'

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#4 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:15 PM

The story is that generic, huh? I hate it when that happens. :/ Then you have to start forcing yourself to continue playing.

I don't know why games these days feel like they don't need to pull the usual storytelling tricks. Drama, suspense, or any other attempt to draw the player in are important for ANY kind of entertainment, whether it be movies, novels or video games. Of course, TOO much of any one thing would turn the player off too, but...

IUfb9Eg.png

#5 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:08 PM

The story is that generic, huh? I hate it when that happens. :/ Then you have to start forcing yourself to continue playing.

I don't know why games these days feel like they don't need to pull the usual storytelling tricks. Drama, suspense, or any other attempt to draw the player in are important for ANY kind of entertainment, whether it be movies, novels or video games. Of course, TOO much of any one thing would turn the player off too, but...

I wouldn't say it's TOO generic, but it doesn't spend a lot of time developing the main occurrences, explaining stuff, etc... the plot feels kind of narrow, I guess. It's not terrible, but I don't feel like there's a real villain or a real sense of danger, the characters get used to their new situation so easily it's kind of unbelievable (and I thought I was pretty used to the whole "normal-world-gone-fantasy" thing), and the character development and the like is focused around something that isn't generic or boring, but simply doesn't attract my attention—I'm not really interested in singing, theater, dancing, modeling, etc., which isn't particularly a flaw with the game but more-so a "the story just isn't for me" thing. If I were into that, I'd probably find it way more interesting, but right now it's just kind of "occasionally funny" haha.

Again though, the gameplay and FE elements are what I came for, and those are great. And the music isn't quite as impressive as I'd hoped, but the main battle theme is great and some of hte other songs are ok, although sometimes the mixing bothers me because I either can hardly hear the voices or can hardly hear the music >_<

anyway, on a more general note, it does feel like games lately have been slacking on the story. the writing is often more generic/less tight and less charming, and plot-wise it's just less intriguing with less twists, drama, suspense, etc.--of course, there are still some exceptions to this, but in general, when I pick up an RPG now I don't really expect an impressive or immersive story. And the Tales of and Fire Emblem series aren't really helping IMO, being two rather big JRPGs that (again, in my opinion) are both guilty of losing quality in stories.

the biggest exception for me would probably be the Trails in the Sky series (with SC having just come out), but that's technically an oooold game that only just got localized. And even games by the same company (Falcom), like Trails of Cold Steel and Tokyo Xanadu, despite having some great parts, have had some really weaker parts that feel like the influence of this "generic writing fad" in games and anime where characters revolve around their core traits too much or say/do generic things etc., and the stories themselves are less willing to take risks by switching things up/throwing in twists/getting into anything much more serious than "that's dangerous/evil/bad, for the sake of justice/my ideals, we have to stop it/them/the evil!"

/rant

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#6 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:54 PM

The usual storytelling tricks are generic. It's very rare that I find anything that stands out that is praised for what you're supposed to do in a story. (I guess The Force Awakens stands out for enlightening me on just how little I care for "proper characterization"...)

I do agree that in general JRPG stories have been slacking on effort, most of the time I'm just looking for humorous scenes nowadays in games and just whatever the way through the main story. It's fairly difficult to actually advertise a good story considering spoilers and whatnot, and you buy the vast majority of them once rather than pay for them monthly or something, so priorities on getting the stuff sold are elsewhere. JRPGs used to have a niche in that they were the only games you could expect to have a half-decent story, but now it's rare to find a game without some decent attempt at narrative (that they expect you to buy anyway.)

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#7 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:12 AM

The usual storytelling tricks are generic. It's very rare that I find anything that stands out that is praised for what you're supposed to do in a story. (I guess The Force Awakens stands out for enlightening me on just how little I care for "proper characterization"...)

I do agree that in general JRPG stories have been slacking on effort, most of the time I'm just looking for humorous scenes nowadays in games and just whatever the way through the main story. It's fairly difficult to actually advertise a good story considering spoilers and whatnot, and you buy the vast majority of them once rather than pay for them monthly or something, so priorities on getting the stuff sold are elsewhere. JRPGs used to have a niche in that they were the only games you could expect to have a half-decent story, but now it's rare to find a game without some decent attempt at narrative (that they expect you to buy anyway.)

Mhm, got a point. You kind of have to show what you can and then convince people it's worth checking out and then hope that word spreads and people are like "man the story in X was SO good!!" and such when it comes to those games

Definitely changed a bit with that but I'd say I personally still expect a higher degree of effort if not quality in JRPGs than other games--yeah games are more likely to have a little more effort into stories, sometimes the stories are even shoehorned in, but I still think it's far from being where a lot of games have quality stories. At least for me, outside of RPGs, there are few games that I expect to have decent stories, and it's more like "they have something" rather than "they have something that I'd play the game for", I guess.

Also agree that the small moments/bits that make you laugh or smile or whatever are nice. Making an original or impressive or well-executed story or whatever is difficult but at least if the path to the end is enjoyable and has some good moments, it's usually good enough as a whole for me. Sadly, now the FE and Tales of games aren't even doing that for me, so meh... >_>'

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#8 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:39 PM

All this talk about weak stories is making me feel self-conscious about my fan game.

I dunno, a good story to me is one that pulls you in and messes with your emotions, while also striving to MAKE SENSE. (unless we're talking about a game that doesn't take itself seriously at all. If done correctly, it becomes acceptable.) The problem these days is that the stories are so poorly thrown together that plot holes and inconsistencies are everywhere, and it breaks your suspension of disbelief.

That one chapter in FEA, for example, introduced some guy that was supposedly a "close friend" to the Ylisse royalty, and then immediately killed him off in the same chapter. Nobody even said anything about his death, either. He literally only existed to give the player something to do for that chapter, and if we're being honest, that's absolutely stupid. We could have run into random bandits, or those reinforcements Cornelia talked about could have caught up to us.

Protip, IS: If you're going to kill off some random guy supposedly close to the royal family, introduce him a while BEFORE you kill him off. Make it not-so-obvious that the only reason he exists is to get killed. Also, if he's important to the main characters, maybe you should, I dunno, make the main characters say something about his death?

PMD, too, used to have very immersive plots that pulled your heart strings and kept you addicted. Gates to Infinity, however, had this awful logic loop where the world was ending because people suck, but people suck because the world was ending. (Or something akin to that. It's been a while since I touched the game.)

The Pokemon games, at least, have improved on their storytelling a bit. Gen 5 had a pretty darn good story, and X/Y, while failing to to reach that level of awesome, DID completely tick off the player during the climax and give them a reason to want to trash Team Flare. (Other than "they're here, can't continue otherwise, better do it.")

I guess it doesn't help that the CEO of Nintendo has an aversion to very deep stories. But from the sounds of it, this problem exists outside the realm of Nintendo games as well, which is sad.

IUfb9Eg.png

#9 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:26 AM

there was a close friend to the Ylisse royalty?

see, I don't even know what you're talking about, LOL

but yeah, I think your sentence about a good story isn't wrong. I think it's one way to make a good story, anyway. It's definitely difficult to pin down a word like "good" in a sentence or two, but that's a good start, haha.

Aye @ Nintendo, in that Nintendo as a whole isn't really huge on great stories. They're more about gameplay which is GREAT in many regards, but I like a good balance, and it's kind of a shame when even games like Mario & Luigi or Fire Emblem aren't really delivering me an enjoyable narrative experience (not necessarily a thrilling story, but something more than "Bowser kidnapped Peach" or other such very simple/bare-bones plots). As you said though, I do think it exists out there in general, and it's a result of many factors, such as being content with lesser stories, not willing to invest the time/effort into them, focusing too much on graphics, going for fan service/sexual appeal rather than appealing to the more... intellectual parts of the mind (lol), that kinda thing

and yeah I think it's easy to be self-conscious but if you give it your all and try to borrow from various concepts and get some feedback and are always willing to expand on things, you'll be okay. Really, with just a basic understanding of how to avoid using tropes/cliches in poor manners and a basic understanding of what creates excitement or a sense of curiosity, you can create a decent story--and that's often enough to make people happy. I mean, I thought The Last Promise had a pretty lame story (for many, many reasons) but some people thought it was GREAT, one of the best FE games they ever played, etc.--so people can be pretty easy to impress, haha. Again, small things like giving people backstories, creating notable NPCs/treating every character with care and not just revolving everything around the main character and the very-evil-looking antagonist, creating a few laughs/small moments to make the characters feel like more than just soldiers or tools of the game, and adding a few bits of narrative or world-building, will let people get that sense of enjoyment or wonder.

I mean, look at FE7--we don't know THAT much about the heroes or the Scouring, and Lloyd/Linus weren't that developed, but how many people wanted to create games revolving around the Scouring and its heroes or the Black Fang or the like? lol. Part of it is "they were cool" but part of it is just that whole "yeah the story is about Eliwood and Lyn and Hector fighting Nergal, but it's not quite that simple, there was war int he past and there were some memorable enemies I wish I could have fought with...", again—a lot of people aren't that hard to impress so the small things help.

At the same time, if a story is just bad/unenjoyable... well, you can't expect everyone to be dumb and/or not care and let it fly, lol. I'm sure some people will even look fondly on FE13's or FE14's story for instance but you'll have a hard time convincing me it's better than like, pretty much anything FE4-FE9, really. Even RD was better IMO, even if it is thought of as a mess, lol.

/rant

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#10 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:25 AM

I don't really remember a whole lot of stupidity in RD outside of anybody in the Dawn Brigade having any trust in Izuka whatsoever.

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#11 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:40 PM

brb calling Molly to explain the stupidity

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#12 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:29 PM

I feel like I should remember who that is but outside of it being a girl(if even that), it not matching their forum name, and it being someone that only comes on occasion it eludes me...

#13 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:07 AM

Molly is gyppygirl2012

funny thing, I DID try to get her attention in a group chat but it just resulted in a super long rant about the branded and how they're messed up, really--and not on the forums. You could imagine how disappointed I was that such serious discussion wasn't even taking place in the public. >___>'

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#14 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:24 PM

but yeah, I think your sentence about a good story isn't wrong. I think it's one way to make a good story, anyway. It's definitely difficult to pin down a word like "good" in a sentence or two, but that's a good start, haha.

Good stories are a matter of opinion, so the sentence varies. That is just my opinion on a good story. I want something that draws me in. That makes me laugh, cry, and feel furious for all the right reasons. I want something that doesn't break my Suspension of Disbelief by being poorly written or just plain stupid. I want characters I can relate to, as well.

That being said, there are times when games don't take themselves seriously at all, and I can usually enjoy those, too--but usually only if the game acknowledges exactly how ridiculous it is. I think I'm a sucker for "lampshades," as TV Tropes describes them. Fantasy Life is one game that comes to mind which actually strove to be hilarious and fully admitted how dumb it was at times. And then at one point, it actually did get serious enough to draw you in.

there was a close friend to the Ylisse royalty?

see, I don't even know what you're talking about, LOL

Yes, lol. I don't blame you for forgetting his existence. I mean, he was introduced and killed off the same chapter, so...

FEA's story, overall, isn't truly BAD, imo...it's just lacking. The only part of the story that just really ticks me off for how bad it was is the chapter where "Don't say her name!" plays. I have a rant on it on my stash.

Man, this went off-topic. XD

funny thing, I DID try to get her attention in a group chat but it just resulted in a super long rant about the branded and how they're messed up, really--and not on the forums. You could imagine how disappointed I was that such serious discussion wasn't even taking place in the public. >___>'

Wow that sucks. I'd have read that for sure.

IUfb9Eg.png

#15 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:17 PM

poor characters who get introduced and die in the same chapter (cough a lotta bosses)

I kind of agree with the remark on FEA's story, it's more lacking and shallow than bad. Fates, on the other hand, was both. IMO. you may reserve judgment

and I could dig it up but idk, seems like a lotta work loool

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#16 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:26 PM

Right. I'm just going to say it up front. I hate this chapter. It plays up from the drama of the last chapter, even going so far as to overwrite the Battle Preparations Screen music with an emotional track. Honestly, I have no qualms with any of that--the death of a loved one is tragic. What bothers me is the fact that this is yet another excuse plot chapter, except this time they decided to guilt trip the player heavily. I am not cool with that. 

What makes this an excuse plot, you ask? The pre-battle conversation is six lines long, and ends with this glorious line from Basilio: "Plegians! I knew it couldn't be that easy... They're right in our way! We must fight!"

Yep. Pretty much spells it out that this chapter is only to break up the sections between facing Gangrel 1 and facing Gangrel 2. They're in our way, so we must fight? I dunno about that. We could have had an Arrive mechanic like the console FE games had, where you had to fight your way across the map and escape. That would have been lovely implemented here. But nope. We must kill the enemy commander to continue.

The problem with this? Once we start the battle, said commander obviously shows us that he is reluctant to fight. He offers our heroes mercy, that if they surrender, they'll live. Okay, I will admit this is a no-go. He can't guarantee our lives once Gangrel gets a hold of us. He then adds. "Emmeryn would not have wished for this to come to bloodshed." This is very true. 

Chrom, however, is still in the midst of a major mental breakdown and obviously has no brain at this point. His reaction is to snap at the commander not to speak his sister's name. Okay? Being a bit jumpy here, are we? Our enemy commander answers us with this.

Mustafa: Your rage is justified, Prince Chrom. But the meaning of your sister's final sacrifice was not lost on me. I suspect many Plegians who heard her final words would say the same. If you lay down your weapons, I vow to protect you as best I can.

Your king wishes for war. If Emmeryn's words were truly not wasted on you, why are you doing this? Why are you still serving the Mad King? He tells us why later, but meh. As if Chrom's mental instability weren't enough, Frederick the Wary gets in on this too, and then Basilio. So we are forced into a battle. The only battle in the whole game to have this particular dramatic music playing during both phases AND the battle animations.

Then, at the end of the second player phase, we get to hear some dialogue from Mustafa and his henchmen. I couldn't even begin to copy this down in my own words, so have a quote instead:

Soldier: Forgive me, sir, but I...I no longer see the justice in hunting these people down. I accept any punishment you see fit, but after all that's happened...I just can't.
Wyvern Rider: How dare you question the general's orders! You know full well the punishment for insubordination is death!
Soldier: B-but, sir! These people are—
Mustafa: These questions are not ours to ponder, lad. The soldier does not judge. The soldier delivers judgment.
Soldier: Sir, I... I cannot raise my lance against them. Even if... Even if it means death.
Mustafa: ...You were there when Emmeryn spoke, weren't you? So be it! Those of you unwilling to fight are dismissed!
Soldier: But I don't wish to abandon you, sir!
Mustafa: I cannot defy the king, lad. I know him well. He would murder my wife and child to set an example. I will accept the blame for your actions today. Now go!

I hope you can see the problem I have with this chapter now. It's an excuse plot bent entirely around showing us how Emmeryn's cheesy words affected the Plegians. By forcing us to kill a man that is fighting against his own will. All because Chrom is too hellbent on getting his revenge to care whether or not the people in front of him are really enemies. And also because Intelligent Systems was too lazy to implement any chapter mission types other than Kill the Commander and Route the Enemy. Yes, this chapter gives the game a lovely dramatic side to it. It shows us that the enemies aren't all insane like Gangrel. But both of these areas could have been made in a different way. It also shows us how mean Gangrel can be to his henchmen. 

It also shows us our main character's biggest flaw: How easily he resorts to violence. 

At the end of the chapter, when you finally kill the commander, he gives us the worst line of all: "Well done, Ylisseans... Hrrggh! Please...spare my men..."

What's so bad about this statement? The fact that by this time the player has likely already cut down everyone in the battlefield, further guilt-tripping them for doing something that is a major part of this game. 

To clarify, it's not exactly the fact that I have to kill somebody that is obviously not evil. This has always been an aspect of Fire Emblem games, and while they do depress me a little, it's not so overwhelmingly guilt-trippy as this chapter is. Selena in Sacred Stones wasn't evil at all, and fought because of her loyalty to her emperor. You get to see scenes in which she describes why she became a soldier, you hear villagers talk of how wonderful she is, and they plead for you to not take her life. Yet you must do so. It's heartbreaking, but at least Ephraim does his best to persuade her not to fight. We even have a scene afterward when the characters are showing their regrets. Even in Shadow Dragon, Marth showed signs of remorse after taking a certain enemy commander's life. 

In this game, we get nothing. Nothing but guilt-trips for doing things that are a major part of the game. The characters don't feel bad about what they've just done. They don't try to sort things out. This whole chapter happens because the main characters are too quick to resort to violence. Where was the avatar in all this? Taking a backseat role because the devs wanted to do their own thing, that's what.

Ahem, now that I've finished ranting about that, there's another scene after the Save Screen, which we must see.

It starts with our avatar grieving over "All that...for nothing." Lissa is still crying. Frederick is blaming himself being a knight that could not defend his ruler. The thing that bothers me about this is that they're acting as if she had been killed, but she willingly committed suicide. Anyway, Flavia's at a loss and asks Basilio what to do. He retorts that he's not the ruling kahn, don't ask him. 

The scene continues with the avatar apologizing to Chrom for failing. Ugh, guys. Really? She stepped off of that cliff of her own accord. Granted, she did it so that Chrom wouldn't have to live with the consequences of his choice in the sadistic decision moment. But sheesh, y'all are acting like Emmeryn was killed! Chrom says that it's not the avatar's fault, it's his. Yes, let's all blame ourselves over a death we couldn't help, and completely ignore the people we just mercilessly slaughtered, despite how they didn't want to fight us. 

Ahem, anyway, Robin gives a tl;dr about being powerless and how that's what friends are for. Every character we've collected thus far will give a brief comment, and Chrom's brain is successfully rebooted after his BSOD. Shame we couldn't do this sooner. Chrom determines that the Mad King must be stopped and everyone agrees. Thus ends the chapter.

From Blue Leafeon's rant.

So the problems are:

•  "The game is making me do something that is supposed to be a normal part of the game, and guilt tripping me over it."
  •  "Chrom is a dick and the rest of our army doesn't care that it killed a bunch of reluctant soldiers either."
  •  "They shouldn't care that they were powerless to do something about Emmeryn's suicide."
  •  "This game is uncreative as hell about its objectives." (yeah can't really make an argument against that)

It also shows us our main character's biggest flaw: How easily he resorts to violence. 

That isn't really much of a problem when the enemy in front of him has little in the way of politics(especially politics involving Gangrel) and when your job is to kill people in the enemy faction anyway, especially as they are still getting in your way. It makes him look bad as a person...but isn't really relevant unless they are trying to present him as someone who shouldn't be killing.

It's an excuse plot bent entirely around showing us how Emmeryn's cheesy words affected the Plegians. By forcing us to kill a man that is fighting against his own will. All because Chrom is too hellbent on getting his revenge to care whether or not the people in front of him are really enemies.

So...are there any issues if you didn't have to kill said man? (like the arrive/escape objective) cause I don't really see any issues with the chapter taking the time to show how Emmeryn's cheesy words affected the Plegians. Unless you'd rather they just didn't use a chapter slot to have you control the units to do it manually rather than it all just going down in cutscene.

But even then you know Chrom is too busy weeping with RAEG, so I presume the problem may be that you're more concerned over how his army doesn't bother to say anything against it. (but they're still supposed to kill people of the enemy nation anyway if they get in their way so...)

Honestly, I feel like the biggest part of what your suggesting is the problem would be

Where was the avatar in all this?

simply because we actually have one this time and should be able to influence the decision(or at least the reasoning behind it) based on our own input. Well, said avatar does go about killing tons of people via fireships anyway though.

The scene continues with the avatar apologizing to Chrom for failing. Ugh, guys. Really? She stepped off of that cliff of her own accord. Granted, she did it so that Chrom wouldn't have to live with the consequences of his choice in the sadistic decision moment. But sheesh, y'all are acting like Emmeryn was killed! Chrom says that it's not the avatar's fault, it's his. Yes, let's all blame ourselves over a death we couldn't help, and completely ignore the people we just mercilessly slaughtered, despite how they didn't want to fight us.

Not wanting to fight against you is only relevant when they actually won't. Plus, they are still nameless soldiers to them. FE10 even makes a point of this by bringing up the difference between losing someone you hold dear and losing pretty much anybody else.

But either way, Emmeryn is dead. If I recall correctly, she didn't straight up go to Plegia without telling anybody for negotiations, but was rather taken captive, so Chrom could fault himself on being unable to keep that incident from happening too. "But he couldn't have done something about that anyway if he didn't know." When your ruler died, where is refuge in your own powerlessness?

I can't really say much about this because I don't actually remember any of the Fire Emblem stories that well (I think FE10 and FE6 probably sticks in my mind the most) but if what your review is suggesting is right, Chrom only breaks free from his BSOD thing because he's told he still has his friends. (and this is probably in a context where it means "let's all go kill Gangrel together" rather than "let's do something about Emmeryn's death") He's basically distracted rather than told to be free of worries because he can't do anything about it. I mean, unless that's your problem, Chrom having a short attention span to tragedy, but considering that you're suggesting they shouldn't feel guilty over Emmeryn dying...

#17 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:24 AM

dang

only got about 1/3 of the way thus far, but... rekt already lol

don't play Fates, in a way there is possibly less to rant about with the plot could be considered even more shallow than Awakening but it's still just as if not more frustrating

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#18 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:35 PM

Not wanting to fight against you is only relevant when they actually won't.

Actually, I'm just gonna take this outta context and say "this is my problem with the chapter." :D Just kidding.

So the problems are:

•  "The game is making me do something that is supposed to be a normal part of the game, and guilt tripping me over it."
  •  "Chrom is a dick and the rest of our army doesn't care that it killed a bunch of reluctant soldiers either."
  •  "They shouldn't care that they were powerless to do something about Emmeryn's suicide."
  •  "This game is uncreative as hell about its objectives." (yeah can't really make an argument against that)

Affirmative.

I wouldn't put it that way, but yeah, sure, let's go with that.

Not what I was getting at. If you were reading the script of that particular scene, without knowledge of what happened last chapter, you would be led to think that Emmeryn was murdered. There is nothing in any of that text that suggests otherwise.

Affirmative.

So...are there any issues if you didn't have to kill said man? (like the arrive/escape objective) cause I don't really see any issues with the chapter taking the time to show how Emmeryn's cheesy words affected the Plegians.

The problem isn't the part about Emmeryn's cheesy words affecting the Plegians so much as it is the fact that some people bar our way and our first and ONLY thought is "THEY MUST DIE!"

Honestly, I feel like the biggest part of what your suggesting is the problem would be

Where was the avatar in all this?

The biggest part of my problem is that
1: Some enemies bar our way

2: The enemies show themselves to be sentimental to our cause

3: The player characters never acknowledge #2 in even the slightest.

If SOME acknowledgement was made, I would not have as much as a problem.

don't play Fates, in a way there is possibly less to rant about with the plot could be considered even more shallow than Awakening but it's still just as if not more frustrating

I will get fates and I will play it because I am an FE fan. And then I will suffer in the worst way imaginable. 8D

IUfb9Eg.png

#19 TheCrimsonFlash

TheCrimsonFlash

The Great Red Dragon and the Woman Clothed in the Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Fire Emblem, football, handball, Pokemon, Hannibal, Hugh Dancy

Seriously, Hugh Dancy is my celeb crush.

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:07 PM

What a fun discussion... What was the original topic in this thread anyways...?

#20 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:48 PM

Seeing as how the topic is 'streaming the game' and it's located in the Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem forum, I'd say that.

But there's not really much to discuss about that game, apparently. XD

IUfb9Eg.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users