Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

All time favorite game series?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Generic soldier

Generic soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:" Everything I feel is in this sword" (Blazer)

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:39 PM

I was curious on what you people think, based on the mechanics,story, and game play. Like, what makes your game so special to you? For me, it's always been KH, despite it's story that seems to bewilder people, and  cliche storytelling aspects. I find myself loving the combat system in every game, because each games has it's own identity to it, which is something I really appreciate. I feel like once you play the majority of the games you can piece together what's going on in story, and that really makes you care about the characters.  

#2 Oblivion Knight

Oblivion Knight

Denial eSports Journalist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video Games, Strategy Games, Smite, Hearthstone, Poetry, Writing

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:54 PM

It's easy to say like Pokemon for the nostalgia factor or something. X and Y were both rather good as of more recently. But it's still kind of the general same theme without being 100% fresh and at times I get turned off of it. 

I still really like Fire Emblem even to this day. I can generally play quick and unsafe if I want to play fast, or I can play slower and soak in all the map exp if I want to go that way. The only real time that I got kinda bored playing it was grinding renowned in awakening. Supports keep characters with personalities after you've ran through the game countless amounts of times. It's just a really solid series, in general. I'm not sure if it's my favorite overall, but as of typing this, it's the first thing that comes to mind for me as a potential canidate. 

3D Mario and 3D Zelda games are also solid franchises that I've enjoyed, but I never got to play Galaxy 2, or Skyward sword or freaking uhhh Twilight princess outside of like three dungeons. So the last 3D Zelda game I beat was Windwaker back in the damned gamecube days. lol 

Knight of the Realm -- Sain can't get laid. Therefore Kent > Sain.
Knight of the Realm -- My logic is flawless.

QUOTE (bblues @ May 30 2012, 07:13 AM)
My, this so...if you're wondering why I haven't posted, it's because my palms are so glued to my face I can't pull them off.

One of the top three Ryans.

user posted image

This won't be removed until the Browns win the Super Bowl. - Started 9/7/09

#3 AbsolutelyTotalSilence

AbsolutelyTotalSilence

Hawk King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Zelda and Metroid among other things. Probably tied with Blazer for "FES member most anticipating a TWEWY appearance at E3". THERE'S STILL HOPE GUYS

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:25 PM

My number one is Metroid, followed very closely by Zelda. They both have some of the absolute best music and gameplay out there, engaging storylines, and amazingly immersive environments; Super Metroid and Prime are nearly flawless. 

After that, Fire Emblem, Smash Bros. and Portal in no particular order.

click for random quotes (Click Here To Hide/Show Text)

Scott: at this point we're going to have iron, steel, and silver vulneraries

Silence: if nyan cats start showing up on my lawn it's your fault
Gold: O_o

jboney93: Not very much, cause girls don't tend to try to sing much higher in pitch than they can talk.
Edmania: clearly you haven't listened to enough japanese pop music

Agent Ryru: For example, you would have a hard time exciting me with a concept for a FPS game
Agent Ryru: But on the other hand even I would have to admit said game could be awesome.
Agent Ryru: Like portal, for example
Agent Ryru: And...
Agent Ryru: ...there must be some other amazing FPS game...
Agent Ryru: Oh right.
Agent Ryru: Portal 2!

user posted image

#4 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:27 PM

I can't really limit myself to a single series:

- For story, it's always going to be Zero Escape (999 and Virtue's Last Reward).  It's one of those games with a heavily intricate plot, great characters, and enough "oh, that's what happened" moments to keep you going for hours.  There's a scene in one of Virtue's Last Reward's bad endings which only ever makes sense once the game ends and I loved every second of figuring that out.

- Some mechanics I've always loved include:

-- Master of Orion II's simple-yet-fun ship creation engine

-- This War of Mine's emotion engine (ex - killing the happy elderly couple who poses no threat to anyone makes the character who did it very depressed)

-- Danganronpa's flashy debates

-- X-COM's hilariously unforgiving RNG god (old games could have your soldier fail to hit any enemy...and have the bullets critical your fully armed super soldier).  It puts FE to shame in lack of forgiving-ness by orders of magnitude

-- Advance War's general fairly reasonable gameplay and handheld tactics.

- Character gold standard is probably Persona's base games.  Zero Escape is way up there too.  Though open-ended narratives you write yourself always has great stories (ex - what you do in FTL or how dark you get in This War of Mine)

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#5 Mariofan20

Mariofan20

Table Flipper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Video Games and becoming one of the best Puyo Puyo players.

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:50 PM

Just like anyone else I can't make up my mind to a single game so here is my top 5 in no particular order.

- Fire Emblem is probably the most time I've ever put most of my time in any other series thanks to Awakening being the game I put in the most hours in a few months. It is a hard series but yet rewarding once taking out the final boss of the games. It should be no surprise that I mentioned this series first.

- If there is a racing series I ever want to go back to and play over and over it would be F-Zero. I know there is Mario Kart but F-Zero is all about skill and the speed. Just talking about it makes me wish they would make another F-Zero already.

- Ever since getting a Nintendo 64 the one fighting game I have loved when I was 7 and always will was Super Smash Bros. I have always loved the series from the Nintendo 64 era and will always get every game no matter what.

- I know I was late in the main series but I like this series of the main series despite it being the FPS genre which has been the trend of modern games. The series is the Metroid Prime series. The Metroid Prime series is what I would say is probably the best series but I know people prefers Super Metroid but the Prime series is what I have loved since I was 10 and always will to this day.

- The Mario series I have loved since Super Mario World which is my first game I ever played. Everyday I would pull out the Super Nintendo and start playing a Mario game whether it be Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros. - Super Mario Bros 3 I'll even throw in Lost Levels in there as well. I wouldn't be Mariofan20 if I didn't mention the Mario series now would I?

#6 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:03 PM

I can't really limit myself to a single series:

yeah I can't either, I don't like picking favorites for this reason lol, I can't decide one best amongst many

part of it is that it might depend on my mood and other stuff, I doubt I could really put out a consistent answer... and if it's not consistent then I feel like maybe it's not really my favorite after all: favorites should be definitive, IMO

............ anyway

It should be a series, so this puts away TWEWY and Xenoblade, which I guess makes it easier

I was kinda unhappy about Smash last night though so I don't want to pick that, which is silly

and I don't even play THAT much Fire Emblem, despite all my connections to it

I guess the Ys series is really up there, I've played quite a few (even one in Japanese) and I'm a big fan of the real-time action-packed combat as well as the music (and some of them have decent stories too even though that's not the focus)

I guess I might as well say the Ys series then, though it's not even that old of a favorite; only started playing them a few years ago or so, I think

*shrug* SEE I JUST CAN'T PICK A FAVORITE DANGIT I JUST CAN'T AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHhh

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#7 Queenie

Queenie

The french flying toast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:a lot of things :P

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:08 PM

My favourite games series are Crash bandicoot and Spyro, those two characters are heroes of my childhood and I've grown up with them ♥ 

I love Ratchet and Clank too and Rayman. yes i'm someone who love platforms games.

#8 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:16 PM

Yeah, not going to even try limiting this to one series. My top 5(in no real order at all) is a little something like this. Might change by next week though.

1:monster hunter. The customization options are daunting at first, but it's worth it when you finally take down that d-bag monster you were stuck on for a week.

2.dragon Quest. Can't really say anything that hasn't already been said.

3.tales of (whatever). Got hooked on the battle system. Also I just love end game bosses that are nearly impossible to beat.

4.tekken. I don't know why, but it's easily my favorite 2d fighter franchise.

5.Dpt.Heaven. Every entry is a different genre, and each one gives it's own twist to that genre. Maybe a bit niche for most people though.

#9 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:20 PM

My favourite games series are Crash bandicoot and Spyro, those two characters are heroes of my childhood and I've grown up with them ♥ 

I love Ratchet and Clank too and Rayman. yes i'm someone who love platforms games.

haha nice, the Rayman series is nice... I don't really like Ubisoft much as a company but they make some solid games, especially when they actually try and don't rush them (Rayman Legends was great and even their Rayman games for the iPhone were solid IMO)

oh and platformers are awesome of course, I play a lot of those and as long as they throw in some neat twists and don't get too repetitive I still enjoy them. it's just a classic genre that's full of simple joy, I think~

Yeah, not going to even try limiting this to one series. My top 5(in no real order at all) is a little something like this. Might change by next week though.

1:monster hunter. The customization options are daunting at first, but it's worth it when you finally take down that d-bag monster you were stuck on for a week.

2.dragon Quest. Can't really say anything that hasn't already been said.

3.tales of (whatever). Got hooked on the battle system. Also I just love end game bosses that are nearly impossible to beat.

4.tekken. I don't know why, but it's easily my favorite 2d fighter franchise.

5.Dpt.Heaven. Every entry is a different genre, and each one gives it's own twist to that genre. Maybe a bit niche for most people though.

DQ I'm not a fan of (haven't really played it but I don't like grindy games) and Dpt. Heaven I don't think I've actually ever heard of which is kinda rare for me nowadays haha, props for mentioning something I'm not familiar with at least on a basic level lol

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#10 Queenie

Queenie

The french flying toast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:32 PM

haha nice, the Rayman series is nice... I don't really like Ubisoft much as a company but they make some solid games, especially when they actually try and don't rush them (Rayman Legends was great and even their Rayman games for the iPhone were solid IMO)

oh and platformers are awesome of course, I play a lot of those and as long as they throw in some neat twists and don't get too repetitive I still enjoy them. it's just a classic genre that's full of simple joy, I think~

The problem with Ubisoft is too be a bit like Activision, but in the golden age of the company it wasn't really like that (I suppose?). but that's true they have good series.

Yes for platformers! I always take pleasure when I play a platform game

#11 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:47 PM

The problem with Ubisoft is too be a bit like Activision, but in the golden age of the company it wasn't really like that (I suppose?). but that's true they have good series.

Yes for platformers! I always take pleasure when I play a platform game

haha yeah I gotcha, as companies get bigger and more famous and such they start to lose sight of some of the important things, I think

and platformers never die lol, still great platformers being made today IMO... heck, quite a few of them. and there's so many different twists on the platformer genre too (Metroidvania type ones, RPG type ones, 3D ones, infinite runners, etc.)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#12 Queenie

Queenie

The french flying toast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:59 PM

haha yeah I gotcha, as companies get bigger and more famous and such they start to lose sight of some of the important things, I think

and platformers never die lol, still great platformers being made today IMO... heck, quite a few of them. and there's so many different twists on the platformer genre too (Metroidvania type ones, RPG type ones, 3D ones, infinite runners, etc.)

I think so, by example : to see an Assassin's Creed (A very very good serie) each year give me the feeling that they must release the game , the result is to have some bugs.

platformers never die yeah o/

#13 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:43 PM

Dpt. Heaven I don't think I've actually ever heard of which is kinda rare for me nowadays haha, props for mentioning something I'm not familiar with at least on a basic level lol

you may have played them and just didn't know they were Dpt. Heaven games. they aren't super obvious about it. ever heard of Riviera the Promised Land, Yggdra Union, or Knights in the Nightmare? they're all part of the series.

#14 Generic soldier

Generic soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:" Everything I feel is in this sword" (Blazer)

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:56 PM

I guess it's pretty hard to choose one, but there are so many goods ones out. I learn about a lot of different series from you guys answers, so that's a plus. 

#15 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Tons of stuff, figure them out yourself.

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:19 PM

I think I gotta say, using the criteria which series would I rather play, I'd say the Souls Series (Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1&2 , Bloodborne, whatever comes next). I was thinking about saying Megaman X since I love that series, but the only ones I actually love to play are X, X2 and X3, which isn't even half of the series.

Posted Image
Posted Image
This won't be removed until Chile wins the World Cup - Started 24/06/12
BTW, I take map requests if anyone wants to make one XD, just send me a PM and I'll most likely accept. If you wanna see some of previous work you can visit my gallery here, I'd skip to the end because I've improved alot XD.

#16 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:20 PM

I think so, by example : to see an Assassin's Creed (A very very good serie) each year give me the feeling that they must release the game , the result is to have some bugs.

platformers never die yeah o/

aye, AC could be better if they weren't so pressured into releasing them during the holiday season the way they do ._.

\o ^_^

you may have played them and just didn't know they were Dpt. Heaven games. they aren't super obvious about it. ever heard of Riviera the Promised Land, Yggdra Union, or Knights in the Nightmare? they're all part of the series.

ahhh yeah I have heard of all of those, all games I'd like to play at some point... actually I've played Knights in the Nightmare but didn't get very far

it was definitely SUPER unique so yeah... interesting, so they're considered "Dpt. Heaven" games even though they're all kind of different games... veeery interesting... :o

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#17 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:29 PM

I don't have a lot of games that I would consider myself well-versed in their series, but here are a few.

DDR- Shush, you. It's fun, it's challenging, and it has weeb music. I'm hooked.

Castlevania- Though I'm more experienced with the Metroidvania titles from the GBA on, the classics are fun as well in a different way.

Kingdom Hearts- Despite my experience being limited to the Nintendo title spin-offs, I wholeheartedly love this series. I'll probably end up buying KH2 before KH1 for reasons.

Ace Attorney- I love the over-the-top character designs and their awesome animations. Obsessively watching Phoenix Wrong videos years ago didn't hurt either.

Fire Emblem- Well, naturally. After seeing Sacred Stones being played on the bus in like 8th grade, I thought it seemed hard but fun, and I got it for my birthday. I haven't yet found a TBS that I think is nearly as enjoyable, but that's just my opinion.

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

#18 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:07 AM

I don't have a lot of games that I would consider myself well-versed in their series, but here are a few.

DDR- Shush, you. It's fun, it's challenging, and it has weeb music. I'm hooked.

Castlevania- Though I'm more experienced with the Metroidvania titles from the GBA on, the classics are fun as well in a different way.

Kingdom Hearts- Despite my experience being limited to the Nintendo title spin-offs, I wholeheartedly love this series. I'll probably end up buying KH2 before KH1 for reasons.

Ace Attorney- I love the over-the-top character designs and their awesome animations. Obsessively watching Phoenix Wrong videos years ago didn't hurt either.

Fire Emblem- Well, naturally. After seeing Sacred Stones being played on the bus in like 8th grade, I thought it seemed hard but fun, and I got it for my birthday. I haven't yet found a TBS that I think is nearly as enjoyable, but that's just my opinion.

just wanted to say that figuring out what you probably meant by "TBS" (Turn-Based Strategy) was way more difficult than I anticipated... or something

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#19 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:38 AM

@blazer yeah they're all considered Dpt. Heaven because of certain themes, mythologies, etc. that tie them together. you'd be hard pressed to find any solid similarities between the games themselves though. if you watch the opening sequence for knights in the nightmare it's listed as Dpt. Heaven episode 4. that's actually the only reason i knew they were all part of a series. i noticed that one day and looked it up.

#20 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 02:32 AM

ohhh wow, nope never noticed that haha, well now you've got my curiosity piqued. not that it helps any, I already intended to play these games... freakin' limited free time, nnnnnhhh

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users