Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Satoru Iwata dies at 55

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rujio

Rujio

I eat Axel

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:05 PM

Some seriously sad news today. I don't even know how to react, other than to be shocked and sad.

?????????
???????
There, katakana. Happy?
Bobryk -- holy crap I look away for two seconds and I have knots all up in my shit

#2 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:32 PM

I'll copy what I said on another forum...

Unfortunately, I think Iwata is part of a dying breed...the CEO who lives with passion, conviction, and took charge himself at all possible opportunities.

Here are some more stories about him:
 - He halved his own salary in the face of decreasing Nintendo sales.  To be fair, this is expected of CEOs in Japan when things turn south...but let's keep this in mind still.
 - To assist the production of Super Smash Brothers Melee (and to meet the Christmas deadline), he stepped in from his position as General Manager (his last position before CEO) and debugged for three weeks.  Keep in mind he was probably half a decade out of practice at this point.

- He managed to compress the Johto section of Pokemon Gold/Silver to such a degree that they could fit the Kanto side in (keep in mind that GS came out on a 2 MB cartridge)

- He ported the key parts of Pokemon to the N64 (which would eventually become Pokemon Stadium) without a reference manual

- And, most incredible of all, he managed to save Earthbound on his own by programming almost all the key elements of it.

Iwata is the type of CEO I would always want.  He worked his way up, never lost sight of his past, and got his hands dirty as needed.  A programming genius and dedicated developer until the end.  It's too bad that we have to see him leave so early but I think he left us an unforgettable legacy as is.

I think it's best to leave it with one of his most famous quotes, which encompasses everything about him.

On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#3 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:50 PM

Can't add anymore than what kirant already said. You'll be missed Mr.Iwata.

#4 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:08 AM

Yeah, this news came super suddenly to me. At first I was just a tiny bit sad but mostly indifferent—I'm not really a huge fan of him—but the more I thought about it and saw people posting stuff, reacting, sharing quotes and feats of his... the more I felt, haha. Eventually thanks to Itoi I ended up crying just a bit lol

[7/13/2015 3:14:44 PM] ballin1337: http://nintendoevery...iwatas-passing/, http://www.nintendo-...o-satoru-iwata/ (different translations)

it was essentially those words. being one of the many people fond of Earthbound, it just hit me quite a bit. >_>

He will be missed indeed. Good luck to his family and friends who probably have it way tougher than us people who never met him. Also, good luck to Nintendo trying to keep up his legacy/do what he did right and perhaps even improving on the things he didn't, since no person or group of people is perfect, but that doesn't mean we can't try to better ourselves over time~

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#5 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:51 PM

https://twitter.com/...891083724079104

http://nintendoevery...ns-for-support/

Iwataaaaaaa T_T

still a little sad lol, hard to totally get over this with all the comments and showing of support and late-comers to cover the news and such ._.

alas. it is what it is.

._.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#6 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • Interests:Games and such. Anime and other stuff.

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:34 PM

The gaming industry lost a great man. Rest in peace Iwata.

Posted Image

Posted Image         Posted Image

#7 Oblivion Knight

Oblivion Knight

Denial eSports Journalist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video Games, Strategy Games, Smite, Hearthstone, Poetry, Writing

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:10 AM

I went through the Iwata twitter hash tag when I first heard the news. I teared up a lot over all the amazing art. Gaming industry took a huge hit with im passing on, it'll suck. Thank you Iwata for helping create so many games that were important to my childhood, you will be missed.... and I'll try to understand.

Knight of the Realm -- Sain can't get laid. Therefore Kent > Sain.
Knight of the Realm -- My logic is flawless.

QUOTE (bblues @ May 30 2012, 07:13 AM)
My, this so...if you're wondering why I haven't posted, it's because my palms are so glued to my face I can't pull them off.

One of the top three Ryans.

user posted image

This won't be removed until the Browns win the Super Bowl. - Started 9/7/09

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users