Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

The Official "How was your day?" Topic

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#301 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:01 AM

Ahahah, wow, not a hockey fan but that sounds pretty dang hype. I tend to be a fan of mid-to-high scoring games because I like more "action" in mine but I can kinda see the appeal in sports like soccer and hockey where teams rarely get into double-digit scores AFAIK.

That loudness sounds insane too, I have sensitive ears so I'd have probably been in serious pain and/or just like... passed out or something lol, can't even hear yourself shout? oh man. can hardly even imagine it.

The nature of hockey is a pretty weird thing.  It's physical and fluid...a combination that I only recognize in hockey, lacrosse, and rugby. 

Of course, low scoring =/= low action.  It's certainly not like association football in the sense that there's a lot of recoil and set up.  Actually, the other side might be fair in the sense that physical play is absolutely part of the game.  You can derive fun from watching "physical" teams (teams which utilize size to leverage physics in their favour when bumping into one another) or skilled ones.  I know basketball uses the idea of a "power forward", one which uses size more than skill offensively.  Hockey's equivalent is also known as a power forward...difference being quite a few hockey power forwards have the ability to knock people over too.  A player by the name of Michael Ferland basically makes a career out of being a hard hitting power forward and there was a point in time in the playoffs last year where he basically make an entire team fear him.  Apparently you can make a 15 minute video out of him running into people.  And all of it's crazy amounts of action. 

Of course too though that some teams just play boring.  I'm sure that happens in all sports though.  Heck, I'm sure even "high scoring" games like gridiron football and basketball have their share of teams which decide to play the most boring yet most controlled style of play in existence so that they can sneak out victories they might not get from a run and gun game (ex - winning purely via field goals and short runs in gridiron football.  It's not flashy but you can control play better and get points more easily).  Any team like that can get pretty boring.

Re: volume.  That's what surprises me.  I can't imagine that for hours on end.  Short period...yeah. But somewhere between the 1st and 2nd song you'd think that it'd get painful.

(Incidentally, the logarithmic scale for decibels means that ear rupture is somewhere around 150 dB)

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#302 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:15 AM

hahaha, I used "action" in quotes after all. I realize scoring isn't the only action you can get in a game, but it has more to do with the feeling of action I get. because in the end, the momentum changing this way or that way or the ball/puck/whatever going back and forth doesn't equate to anything until someone actually scores. because of that, one needs a special type of patience where scoring is more rewarding but happens less frequently. for me, I like scoring to happen more often, especially because of things like "it's cooler when the teams keep switching leads" and "a combo of attacks is stronger than one single attack". that's very much personal preference of course, and it applies to more than sports—even in shows or games or whatever, while a SUPER STRONG ONE-HIT ATTACK can be cool (lol can't help but think of One Punch Man), a flurry of attacks that build up on each other (and possibly end in a finishing attack) is genrally more exciting.

I think in a way this is childish of me but... it is what it is, lol. In the end it's entertainment and I'm simply more entertained by games where scoring happens frequently. The feeling of comebacks are also different in various sports but in the end, a comeback is a comeback and if you're rooting for the losing team, it's probably amazing no matter what sport XD

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#303 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:38 AM

I get that a bit.  I would probably compare it to concepts in the trading card game world: a game like Hearthstone if much faster paced since attackers dictate combat: there's no question about whether your attack deals damage instantly or if certain trade offs occur etc.  Additionally, the fact that you can only cast spells on your turn and removal is so rare means that you rarely have your turn's "plan" countered.  By contrast, a game like Magic the Gathering is very much controlled in that sense: the defender gets to pick what happens when you attack.  You can also stop spells or use rule abuse to cancel them out (ex - having a creature removed from the game and then returned effectively nullifies any spell used on it. Alternatively, if you have an effect which destroys a creature you control in Magic and activate it prior to it dying in combat, the opposing creature is considered blocked (and doesn't deal damage to you) as if the now sacrificed creature did block.  It's a strange rule loophole that I use quite often since they basically get blocked by a corpse that you used for something else already).  In fact, entire archetypes ("permission decks", where much of the game can grind down to asking your opponent "Can I [action] or will you just counter it?") exist in Magic which rely on this strategy and prosper quite a bit while the same archetype in Hearthstone (hard control decks) struggles in its fast paced metagame.

Both are quite interesting and both appeal to specific crowds. 

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users