Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

I HAVE A QUESTION!!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 seph1212

seph1212

Am I supposed to laugh at that?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:36 PM

Does anyone know the offset for the battle template in FE8?

I'd really like to have the offset in NLZ GBA, or GBA Graphics editor. If ANYONE has it, PLEASE, let me know what is is.
user posted image
Credit to AoDnightshade of FEND for the EPIC banner.

Check out my Let's Plays:
http://www.youtube.c...12?feature=mhw4

Also, check out my Let's Play of Tactics Universe:
http://www.youtube.c...5DFE81942978E33

I hope you enjoy!

#2 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

Since MK has hacked FE8's graphics plenty shouldn't he know? I think ace lost all his doc so I don't think he knows. If I ever knew, I lost it, but I don't think I knew to start with.

I'm no help

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#3 seph1212

seph1212

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:50 PM

He would have told me, had he not forgot it, and forgot to take it down in some text file. Grr.
user posted image

I hope you enjoy!

#4 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:17 PM

His hard drive was wiped out, have some compassion. lol

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#5 seph1212

seph1212

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:30 PM

Oh yeah... Well, I can't get mad at him for that, no.
user posted image

I hope you enjoy!

#6 flyingace24

flyingace24

#1 Laker Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:22 AM

Image starts at 0x801C14. Palette starts at 0x802558. Red, Green, and Purple follow.

#7 seph1212

seph1212

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

Ace, I could kiss you right now! THANKS!!!
user posted image

I hope you enjoy!

#8 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:35 PM

Ace, did you have that info down already or just refind it? XP

Anyway you're awesome. Also, someone on SerenesForest was looking for this very same information.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#9 seph1212

seph1212

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

Yeah, that was my buddy Josh, who's helping me with the battle template. I thought posting the question on two different forums would make it easier to get an answer.
user posted image

I hope you enjoy!

#10 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:53 PM

^Ohhh, I see, Glenn is helping you with that. I noticed both of them but didn't put it together that you guys were just working together...

It's good to know that FES came through

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#11 seph1212

seph1212

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:18 PM

You're so silly Blazer. Everyone knows that Serenes Forest is better

Yeah. He's been making these amazing weapon icons for me as well. I think I've posted them, but if not I'll add it onto my hack topic.
user posted image

I hope you enjoy!

#12 flyingace24

flyingace24

#1 Laker Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:12 AM

Ace, did you have that info down already or just refind it? XP

I just refound it. Just did a little quick debugging. Didn't take too long.

#13 shadowofchaos

shadowofchaos

??????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:15 AM

TSA is at 0x80210C

Just posting it here so I don't forget...

And this is the image I got from Ace's info:

user posted image

This is the image I'm gonna have to match up to with your template Trent ._.

Thank goodness for the grid function ._.

user posted image

I'm really wondering how this is gonna work ._.

Yeah, and slight problem... I forgot about that limitation on the middle of the screen...

user posted image

I'm gonna have to cut off your little circles ._.

I moved it down a bit:

user posted image

But I still run into a little problem:

user posted image

I don't know how to "tile up" the first one if it's like that, and not a rectangle shape ._. (Since the room that's given is only exactly what it was on how far up the original "HIT, DMG, and CRIT box" had...
user posted image

#14 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:36 PM

There needs to be an easier way to do this. like some epic custom TSA hack

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#15 Ryrumeli

Ryrumeli

Hit by a meteor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Location:Inside a giant Mecha, fighting monsters in your city.

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (Red @ May 27 2010, 01:36 PM)
There needs to be an easier way to do this. like some epic custom TSA hack

We could just code a program to change around tiles so the first tile gets 10 generic tiles before it, and that everything else get thrown a tile back since that image is a tile less on the sides what it should have been. And a small thing I am forgetting, I am sure. XD

Again, beyond my skills as a programmer, but for someone like Xeld or Nintenlord a couple of hours and it would be done. wink.gif

And technically the Hit/Dmg/Crt tags are sprites, so if you meant moving them to be centralized in the circle, it would be an OAM hack. XD(*Thinks he might had misunderstood what you said there though*)

Oh, and Seth, can you tell Mr. Glenn your image is technically incomplete?

user posted image

You guys don't have those bits on the sides. The lower bit is used for promotions(The battle frame's lower side goes to the center, with a different tile for the right-top-most tile, and with the border there). The name also has those things in FE8, but I honestly wonder why, since the model in FE7 didn't and it never appeared. You could leave your model like that if you wanted, but it wouldn't look as good in promotions.(And something tells me that finishing your model would just require paint's circle tool. XD)

Also, I am kinda sure my and Rey's guide on inserting battle frame's "guide" had the offsets for image and palette already. XD Just saying, you were never in actual danger. If you were, you would have heard an alarm ringing, and the swat team would have visited your home by now. ;-)
user posted image
QUOTE (Akaihinata)
No Grey you have gay needs

QUOTE (Holy Kensai)
BECAUSE HE CAN CREATE ALL LIFE AND ALL EXISTANCE, BUT HE NEEDS YOUR MONEY!

#16 Lord Glenn

Lord Glenn

Planning Dynamo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Computers, gaming, Fire Emblem, spriting

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:45 PM

Well, I'm not completely surprised by this outcome, but I am a bit disheartened. Barring a magical TSA hack like Blazer suggested (and, let me say that I think it would be a wonderful idea, because new graphics are a large part of what can make hacks truly spectacular), I guess I'll have to shelve this design as a personal spriting template and change up the design for the version to be inserted.

Oh, and while we're kind of on that subject, is the inner tiling on the towers going to carry through, or will it fill it differently? (And, furthermore, I take it that the name box areas can be manipulated in much greater degrees compared to everything else (ex. hanging moss or vines that drop down from the box)?)

@Ryrumeli - Blame the game and the sprite rippers. The GBA games display in 240x160 in the window. Every rip of a template has been in those dimensions, with none of the side areas on them. (Likely because the side areas are merely a formality (i.e. blank) for the when the template moves on hits.) As such, the image was sprited in 240x160. And, that's something that Trent could easily add himself before insertion. By keeping it at 240x160, I can get a feel for what the template will look like 99.5% of the time that it's seen.
user posted image
Hopefully the final FE4R template.
Credit to Black Dragon of FESS for the avatar.

FE404 and FE:ASD patches can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/MK404/ (not working ATM)
Currently working on:
Fire Emblem: A Sacred Dawn - Planning
MageKnight404's Fire Emblem 7 Hack - Support Converstations, Other Duties

#17 Ryrumeli

Ryrumeli

Hit by a meteor

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

Sorry. I honestly think you could easily just use what you have, with some edits on it. Just change it around a bit so it enters the pattern. The whole of the battle sheets is TSA, actually, just the hit/crit/dmg are OAM. So you can edit them with the "guide" Rey did with the backups from back when I was teaching him how to insert the FEDS battle frames. It is a "magic TSA hack", it involves creating a brand-new TSA from the image you have. That technique worked for Rey in the Battle Frames being currently used in both Blazer's hack(XP) and (currently) on FE4DS.

I created the technique Rey used, I would know how that works. XD

And yep, the filling does carry. And about customization, pretty much everything in blue background in the diagram I posted can be changed around, if you respect the limit for...50 or something different tiles? But the shape can be changed freely, as long as it falls in the blue background, and doesn't fall into the void of the black. smile.gif

And about ripping, I know, rare are those rippers which take things out of the system with more advanced techniques. Can't blame them, but we end up skipping some details like that one. Again, no biggie, it is easy to solve.

So I will say this, don't get disheartened. If you have patience, you can do like I did and pretty much replace like all menu graphics in FEs. TSAs have peculiarities, so it takes patience. Just don't let small bumps dishearten you, and your hack will have looks enough to bewitch all crowds. :3
user posted image
QUOTE (Akaihinata)

QUOTE (Holy Kensai)

#18 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:36 PM

I have a premonition: this will be a long post.

We could just code a program to change around tiles so the first tile gets 10 generic tiles before it, and that everything else get thrown a tile back since that image is a tile less on the sides what it should have been. And a small thing I am forgetting, I am sure. XD

Again, beyond my skills as a programmer, but for someone like Xeld or Nintenlord a couple of hours and it would be done. wink.gif

Heh, I wish it could just happen... XD

Also, I am kinda sure my and Rey's guide on inserting battle frame's "guide" had the offsets for image and palette already. XD Just saying, you were never in actual danger. If you were, you would have heard an alarm ringing, and the swat team would have visited your home by now. ;-)

Seriously? That's a shame. Ace did that work for nothing. XD

Random note: the topic title should be changed to be more appropriate. "I have a question" in caps letters is you know... not very informative, since I could probably guess you have a question if you just put the word(s) "How to" or "help". Point is, please change it to something like "Battle Template Help".

Well, I'm not completely surprised by this outcome, but I am a bit disheartened. Barring a magical TSA hack like Blazer suggested (and, let me say that I think it would be a wonderful idea, because new graphics are a large part of what can make hacks truly spectacular), I guess I'll have to shelve this design as a personal spriting template and change up the design for the version to be inserted.

TBH I'm not too knowledgeable about image mapping (I really only know how to manipulate the basics) but the reason why we can't just use a 240x160 image with TSA meant for a 240x160 image is because of memory, I think--it'd be nice if Ryru could confirm this since he seems the most knowledgeable. That being said someone would have to reallocate parts of the memory or make use of some free memory (if there is any--I doubt it) or maybe even make the map data be loaded straight from the ROM (if that is possible). Such actions require the expertise of someone like Xeld--it'd probably be difficult even for Nintenlord, although I'm confident if he tried he could do it.

The battle screen in your sig is awesome, by the way. Makes the FEDS one look like crap. Part of it is the awesome snow effect, weapon icons, and battle sprites though. XP

Last comment, I'd like to share my opinion, because it's fun.

Although graphics are awesome, I think gameplay/level design/plot (non-graphical elements) are ultimately more important. Chrono Trigger DS was a great port even though it had the same not-so-great graphics. Shadow Dragon DS had totally updated and refreshing graphics (as opposed to NES) but it didn't turn out so well. That being said, if games only consisted of two halves--graphics and gameplay design--the game with exceptional graphics and decent gameplay would get a B- IMO, and the one with exceptional gameplay and decent graphics would get a B, and one with both would get an A. In my gradebook, anyway. Add in some epic music and you get an A+. XD

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#19 Lord Glenn

Lord Glenn

Planning Dynamo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Computers, gaming, Fire Emblem, spriting

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:37 PM

@Ryrumeli- I was moreso meaning a TSA hack that would remove the boundaries altogether (i.e. the height limitation for both the top and bottom - basically, give more free reign to what could be displayed (after all, the FEDS Background ended up working, so I have hope that it could be completed)) (or, if that wouldn't fall under TSA, then select the appropriate acronym). I intend on revamping the template so that it works, don't get me wrong, it's just that I won't be able to use the circle/sphere/orbs that I had intended to (as, shrinking the radius so that it fits causes the Hit/Dmg/Crit text to appear outside of the circle in areas).

I'll likely still use this version as my own personal template for just doing sprites and, once I think of a design that fits the template, then I'll sprite it and get it ready to be inserted. (I guess I wasn't too clear about that in my previous post.)
user posted image
Hopefully the final FE4R template.
Credit to Black Dragon of FESS for the avatar.

FE404 and FE:ASD patches can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/MK404/ (not working ATM)
Currently working on:
Fire Emblem: A Sacred Dawn - Planning
MageKnight404's Fire Emblem 7 Hack - Support Converstations, Other Duties

#20 Ryrumeli

Ryrumeli

Hit by a meteor

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:47 PM

Heh, actually, the problem about making a hack for changing the bondaries is that we would need to change things in the GBA's memory.

user posted image

See the group of tiles there? Wanna know how many tiles you are limited to? Then count all the tiles which are used for the battle frames. 5th row on, I think. And about the third tile in the 7th tile. And all the other ones which are actually separate pictures(They are all different tiles, even if they look exactly the same like they do in FE6 and 7.) That is the limit.

We would need to change things around in the memory to make sure we could have more tiles in the memory, before using them. And unfortunately, I can't tell you if the blank space underneath it isn't used anytime during a battle. ...in fact, I think it is used for magics or attacks or something like that, not sure however. >__<

But yeah, the hack wouldn't be just a TSA one. It would be an ASM one. ...not exactly hard, afar as I have heard, but a bit nasty to do nonetheless for common people like myself. XD

And I see now, glad you're not willing to give up on this theme, it is quite good. smile.gif

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot, I talked about memory limits for tiles. >__< There is actually something else to do to make the black parts usable, but it involves ASM as well. It is something like making an object or something, so we can fill it with tiles. But then again, I only heard of it roughly on GBATek, no way I can inform you more than this. Sorry again. >__<
user posted image
QUOTE (Akaihinata)

QUOTE (Holy Kensai)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users