Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Elwood : (27 September 2019 - 05:52 AM) I still come here everyday because this is still my homepage in Firefox! XD
@  Ezra : (25 September 2019 - 03:07 PM) I also miss the days the forums I used were more active :(
@  Fire Blazer : (15 September 2019 - 05:39 AM) I do kinda miss the days these forums were active :(
@  Ezra : (29 August 2019 - 04:14 PM) *BOX!!!*
@  kirant : (19 August 2019 - 12:49 PM) Huh. Bothammer time.
@  Elwood : (12 August 2019 - 05:57 AM) Oh, new posts! ...And it's bots. Kinda nostalgic actually.
@  xcrash1998 : (22 June 2019 - 09:24 PM) (Brushes dust of the Shoutbox)
@  Elwood : (17 June 2019 - 06:14 AM) *tumbleweed*
@  Lucina : (16 June 2019 - 09:19 AM) Whew. I haven't been here in forever.
@  Cero : (11 June 2019 - 06:51 PM) oof
@  kirant : (01 June 2019 - 05:54 PM) f
@  Fire Blazer : (30 May 2019 - 03:01 AM) rip
@  Valke : (29 May 2019 - 08:20 AM) bruh i deleted my discord a few months ago,,,,
@  Fire Blazer : (28 May 2019 - 01:59 AM) glad ur alive. join our Discord
@  Fire Blazer : (28 May 2019 - 01:59 AM) yo
@  Valke : (25 May 2019 - 03:08 PM) im alive, college finally gave me breaks (coupled with a few assignments i need to turn next week)
@  Valke : (25 May 2019 - 03:07 PM) hi
@  Valke : (25 May 2019 - 03:07 PM) guys
@  Fire Blazer : (25 March 2019 - 10:43 PM) how things have changed
@  Elwood : (12 March 2019 - 08:31 AM) (a sigh somewhere between small and large)

Photo

MMORPGs to Play?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nils

Nils

Makes poems so bad you will cry.....out of pity xD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:Playing the guitar<br>Listening to Music (Rock, some jazz and a little bit of classical music)<br>Fire Emblem (Of course)<br>Video games in general (mostly FPS and RPG)<br>Reading<br>Cooking<br>Flying (Piloting)<br>Archery

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:11 PM

So...I need a new MMORPG to play.

Recently, I've played Mabinogi, Tera and ESO.

Mabinogi I'm sort of taking a break from due to intense lag Nexon not wanting to fix their combat engine.

Tera is fun but sorta taking a break from it right now. Basically no lifed it for a week or two.

ESO is fun, but I'm getting this sorta "eh" feeling on playing it.

I do still play it occasionally.

But I'm still looking for new ones.

I've heard of two games called Aura Kingdom and Echo of Souls.

I haven't played either one so idk what to do about them.

Any suggestions?

Hey everyone! If you're a KH or FF fan, please come to Castle Oblivion to discuss things about them!

Its a bit late now since the forum is practically dead. I almost keep this sig PURELY for sentimental value xD

user posted image

#2 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:24 AM

I'm not an MMO person mainly because they take way too long and neither are my friends (so I don't even have the whole peer pressure thing going... then again, plenty of friends play MOBAs and stuff and I don't play those either, so meh, peer pressure doesn't even affect me that much LOL)

that being said I've heard FFXIV is really good so if you're an FF fan and want an MMORPG... perhaps try that? supposedly even the story is good (not just the MMO parts), so it's actually got me intrigued... I'd kinda like to get into it but again, I just don't have the time to commit to such a thing right now, haha

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#3 Elwood

Elwood

Crusader of Light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:43 PM

The only MMO I play is Runescape so that's all I can give ya.

jh7otj.png
I will not remove this until I complete the Ritual of the Mahjarrat quest in Runescape - started 4/18/15 - completed 12/20/15

QUOTE (SmashedFish @ Jan 21 2013, 12:21 PM)  Bobryk's expertise with boobs is not to be doubted

#4 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:40 PM

I used to play Runescape, a long, long, loooooooooooooooong time ago

yeah, I don't really miss it :|

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#5 Nils

Nils

• Members
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:Playing the guitar<br>Listening to Music (Rock, some jazz and a little bit of classical music)<br>Fire Emblem (Of course)<br>Video games in general (mostly FPS and RPG)<br>Reading<br>Cooking<br>Flying (Piloting)<br>Archery

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:59 AM

Totally didn't see the replies till now.

Runescape....so......ehhhhhhhhhh xD

I played it a long time ago. It wasn't that good tbh.

I enjoy ESO but I'd like a friend or two to adventure with. Co-op Elder scrolls ftw :D

Hey everyone! If you're a KH or FF fan, please come to Castle Oblivion to discuss things about them!

Its a bit late now since the forum is practically dead. I almost keep this sig PURELY for sentimental value xD

user posted image

#6 Elwood

Elwood

Crusader of Light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:24 PM

Totally didn't see the replies till now.
Runescape....so......ehhhhhhhhhh xD
I played it a long time ago. It wasn't that good tbh.

Lol yeah I started playing in fifth grade cause it was the "cool" thing to do. So that got me started with it and I got far enough to where I got a good enough account I didn't want to quit when all my friends did. I don't know if it's the "simplicity" of the game but I like Runescape and I've never liked any other MMO. Except Destiny though according to Bungie "It's not an MMO" when it completely is.

jh7otj.png
I will not remove this until I complete the Ritual of the Mahjarrat quest in Runescape - started 4/18/15 - completed 12/20/15

QUOTE (SmashedFish @ Jan 21 2013, 12:21 PM)  Bobryk's expertise with boobs is not to be doubted

#7 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:16 PM

The problem is in that you aren't playing MMORPGs properly. It is impossible to get the experience they were designed for without investing too much time and effort in them, enough time and effort to not have to ask the question of new MMORPGs to play. The quality of an MMORPG should be determined(by design) by its staying power more than anything, which largely takes into account how many active friends you can make in them and how many activities you can actually do in-game(there tends to be a large amount of content locked to lategame players.) It's a better idea to stick to single-player games or multiplayer ones intended for short bursts like fighting games or online CCGs for anyone who isn't prepared to make the long-term investment in time to find out what they want.

This is of course, assuming that you are largely focusing on the gameplay aspects of a new MMO to look for. It's a different matter if you simply have barely anything left of a community (for an MMO) to work with in whatever was your main MMO, but even then you would have to invest excessive amounts of time and effort getting into a new one.

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#8 Nils

Nils

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:29 PM

Its not that I'm not willing to invest time into it, I spend more than enough time on the games. I guess I'm just burned out of grinding. I'll probably play some single player games Until I ragequit from dying 2934890238429034829384209348092384092384 on Dark Souls for a while until I get back into the mood for it.

Though I'll probably get back into Tera or ESO any day now xD

user posted image

#9 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:19 AM

Dark Souls is easy

I've still yet to try out Skyrim after having it... how many years now? 3? idk.

I feel like Runescape is one of the OG popular MMORPGs a lot of people played but said people are reluctant to admit it, lol

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#10 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:24 AM

I played Runescape for like a week with some guy who fished lobsters for money to get me gear. Then I died and at the moment I realized that I had lost my stuff, I swore off it forever. Plus even that way back there was still a massive paywall.

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#11 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:44 PM

things I didn't do in Runescape: pay

pretty sure I didn't anyway, not even sure how I'd get the money

things I don't want to do in games in general: pay to win or get a significant boost/something that's necessary if I don't want to put in tons of hours

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#12 Knight of Argentum

Knight of Argentum

Maximus Imperator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Saepe in arcas verborum scribere obliviscor.

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:58 PM

Things I didn't do in Runescape: Play Runescape

I'm honestly not a big fan of MMORPGs, the only one I ever played seriously for a bit was Destiny, and when I played World of Warcraft, I stopped playing quickly when I realized I didn't enjoy the game enough to merit paying money to... Have the game sit there unplayed. I still actively play Diablo III because I have an unhealthy obsession have friends whom I play it with.

#13 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:54 PM

things I don't want to do in games in general: pay to win or get a significant boost/something that's necessary if I don't want to put in tons of hours

The paywall I mentioned is actually a game-content paywall, that is to say, it is literally impossible to access areas without the use of cash. It's kind of like on-disc DLC extensions except you have to pay for it every month. I find these the most unfriendly trait of F2P monetization(Runescape is practically a demo without paying) and am very glad that the vast majority of ones I have played do not do so.

#14 Nils

Nils

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 01:05 AM

I fully agree that P2W is bad.

A lot of games these days take advantage of players through it. People play games to win. Gamers get a high off of winning, especially against other players. Take advantage of that by giving out OP gear to people willing to fork over the cash, and you get a decent profit.

I've got to hand it to Tera for that. They do an AMAZING job of having a cash shop without making it P2W.

I played Runescape for a good while before I reached the limit that a F2P player could reach. At the time, I believe the highest armor a F2P could get was black armor? I grinded on the mobs till I got it, then went on a huge adventure trying to find another way around the gate near a town that only members could pass through.

That gate was basically the gateway to about half of the game. I traveled north, got as far as the wilderness before I got PK'd...then I lost all my stuff and just went, "F*ck this". >.<

user posted image

#15 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:41 AM

The paywall I mentioned is actually a game-content paywall, that is to say, it is literally impossible to access areas without the use of cash. It's kind of like on-disc DLC extensions except you have to pay for it every month. I find these the most unfriendly trait of F2P monetization(Runescape is practically a demo without paying) and am very glad that the vast majority of ones I have played do not do so.

not much to say to this except "that stinks"

>_>

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#16 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:34 AM

There is actually a business-related disadvantage to OP stuff via real cash. Because they often have to create new content that challenges the P2W players, free users are often locked out of hoping to either clear that new content themselves or find a party with OP players to take them with them. Free users in this way also gain far less experience in learning how teamwork goes in raid bosses and so on, because nobody really wants to take them, even if they happen to be in the same guild or something. PvP situations are of course obvious. Basically, because they alienate the free players, a lot of potential players simply won't put up with your game's way of doing things, decreasing the playerbase. MMORPGs in particular absolutely need a consistently large playerbase for the purpose of keeping any player(free or not) online, because just like forums, without other people to play/talk with you, it becomes uninteresting and dies out, causing the paying players to leave too. This is part of why they used to be insane grindfests, they need to keep you there whether you pay or not. (These days, they try to appeal more to the casual players by making it much easier on beginners, and decreasing the grinding overall, but players that didn't intend on trying to invest the time into it that it would have normally needed really don't have much business trying to play MMOs. They have to for more players though, with smartphone games taking away a lot of what MMOs used to be there for.)

That said, it's not as though it's good business to give paying players the equal ground with free users. The good monetization model tries to make it so that the paying players have an easier way of getting what they want, but what they want in itself can realistically be achieved without paying real cash at all. I heard Hearthstone is good at this but I haven't played it myself. I know Puzzle Pirates was great at this, with many players frequently converting vast amounts of in-game currency into the normally-obtained-by-real-cash-currency (unfortunately I have no generic name for this concept) and doing great, but Puzzle Pirates has day-to-day limitations on which puzzles can be played for free, alienating the free users to some level. (I'm not sure if they still do that given that by now it's probably become a ghost town with it being a small MMO to begin with, but that was how it was back in like 2008 or something.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users