Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

FE Fates Random Comment Topic

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:51 AM

Just raged. I had to redo a chapter twice. At the very end with no enemies but the boss, the boss has about 40ish % hit and 2% crit. Guess what. He crits and kills my unit. Restarted and did it again. Same exact scenario; different unit killed. This time I miss my 85% attack that would have killed the boss. Then get killed by a crit. Thanks RNG. Needless to say, I am not playing anymore tonight.

wow that's horrible. I'd either be so mad I'd have to beat it then or quit and end up not playing for a while. >__>;. the RNG is this game is SOOOO bleh sometimes, lol. And like any FE game, getting screwed over by the boss just stinks (unless you're on casual mode, in which case you can afford to just keep going).

I've heard rumours that the RNG is set upon chapter start.  Did you take approximately the same number of actions?

wait whaaaaat?!

That's only in lunatic and for levels. It seems to use a different seed so you always get the same level ups in lunatic even if you restart the map. 

*blinks*

what the

>__>;

well then

Ah.  Would it be right to assume this would be purely to prevent save scum level up fixing?  A friend of mine did something similar to 5 star everything on FE7...he'd restart levels until he got perfect or near perfect level ups.  He must have restarted the game for a day straight in order to get the perfect Lyn level up on the Prologue.

LOL unreal what people are willing to do XP I mean I get restarting for a bad vs. a good level-up but there's a limit to how much one can restart and the like, haha...

Why don't enemy units wear armor? I'm sick of seeing men in their underwear. :| Put clothes and armor on, dude. You might actually live if you did.

hmm, didn't even notice this (I don't even bother looking at the 3D models much for whatever reason, especially the enemies), which enemies are you talking about? lol. (and double lol at the "might actually live" part haha)

I had a switch of RNG luck this time. I made a mistake and forgot to switch my paired units to the stronger one. Kagero had 3HP left and dodged five 70% hits in a row. Thanks RNG!

oh dang. some mercy. I kind of feel better just reading this and knowing someone got some good luck for once, lol.

I had that happen with Kaze once. Every-so-often the game DOES throw you a bone, thankfully.

Ugh why is End of All not in my Theater? I BEAT THE GAME, DANGIT. I DESERVE TO HAVE THE FINAL CHAPTER THEME IN MY THEATER FOR LISTENING WHILE I'M AT SCHOOL.

Maybe it's because I accidentally saved over my Hoshido file thanks to the game not being able to remember which file I saved to. <_<

Also, game? That is NOT A WOLF. Stop calling it a wolf!

huh, probably that then (the accidental save thing)

and uh, what exactly isn't a wolf?

So if Awakening was Waifu Emblem

I guess that makes Fates Husbando Emblem then?

btw this is a completely serious post

kinda? what will that make FE15

and as if

Yeah, they do. And in Before Awakening, the NPC units scale too, somewhat.

The scaling means that you can easily leave player units as unplayable characters if you neglect them. Which sucks.

The arena scales as well, I've noticed. Enter with an unpromoted unit and you'll face unpromoted units. Enter with a promoted one, however...

so lame. I get the arena scaling of course but outside of that I'm not a fan. If it's going to scale at least don't make it scale too hard or it just becomes even more of a pointless chore to me. Idk. I kinda get why they did it but I just really don't enjoy the grinding or the "enemies are as strong as/stronger than you" deal. :\

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#22 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:02 PM

I have to say that I've been finding Fates' story really disappointing.

And when I say that I don't mean that it has plot holes and shallow characterization and sucks at build up and wastes too much time, no, what I wanted is more important than that.

What pisses me off is that I never have the opportunity to be obnoxiously racist! I think Aqua is more prejudiced than My Unit is, jesus. Not even my Hoshidan family members get in on the racism. Even Takumi who was all like "oh you can't trust that bitch, she be Nohr scum, a spy sent to fuck us up" before is just like "o hey wat up, we cool rite" after you recruit him with Aqua and has supports with Jakob. (no seriously you didn't even talk to My Unit in your recruitment why are we suddenly all chummy with each other)

Plus the family encounters aren't dramatic enough past the split path thing. I don't even get to kill Elise on the battlefield like all the other Nohrian siblings (even if they all survive using the power of cutscenes anyway) though I haven't actually finished my first run yet. (Just killed Hans, who I wasn't expecting to get an upgrade considering the weaksauce he was near the beginning, but whatever.) I mean what did I even buy this game for if I don't get to even kill off a little sister?!

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#23 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:50 PM

^ So you're saying it's not dark enough.

These guys need to learn how to use spears. You do NOT swing them like swords. <<;;

IUfb9Eg.png

#24 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:33 PM

Birthright chapter 25.

ENEMIES THAT CAN WARP YOU.

WAT.

I guess it'd be a smarter move to just break in through the middle rather than trying to get to those chests early. I don't think I saw any thieves spawn for a while either.

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#25 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:01 PM

Had to grind my units a few levels because enemies were way too powerful for me even on normal mode in Conquest.

Once I beat this I don't think I'm ever going to bother again because this is just ridiculous. I don't take much pleasure in challenge (as I'm not the masochistic sort) so the added difficulty is just meh. (especially since I feel like this is false difficulty because OH MY GOSH THESE HIT PERCENTAGES ARE THE BIGGEST LIES IN EXISTENCE.)

IUfb9Eg.png

#26 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:17 PM

I have to say that I've been finding Fates' story really disappointing.

And when I say that I don't mean that it has plot holes and shallow characterization and sucks at build up and wastes too much time, no, what I wanted is more important than that.

What pisses me off is that I never have the opportunity to be obnoxiously racist! I think Aqua is more prejudiced than My Unit is, jesus. Not even my Hoshidan family members get in on the racism. Even Takumi who was all like "oh you can't trust that bitch, she be Nohr scum, a spy sent to fuck us up" before is just like "o hey wat up, we cool rite" after you recruit him with Aqua and has supports with Jakob. (no seriously you didn't even talk to My Unit in your recruitment why are we suddenly all chummy with each other)

Plus the family encounters aren't dramatic enough past the split path thing. I don't even get to kill Elise on the battlefield like all the other Nohrian siblings (even if they all survive using the power of cutscenes anyway) though I haven't actually finished my first run yet. (Just killed Hans, who I wasn't expecting to get an upgrade considering the weaksauce he was near the beginning, but whatever.) I mean what did I even buy this game for if I don't get to even kill off a little sister?!

LOL

I can't even

^ So you're saying it's not dark enough.

These guys need to learn how to use spears. You do NOT swing them like swords. <<;;

ugh, yeah... >>; (@spears)

Birthright chapter 25.

WAT.

I guess it'd be a smarter move to just break in through the middle rather than trying to get to those chests early. I don't think I saw any thieves spawn for a while either.

the enemies that can warp you are like, super annoying, lol. def not my friends. I managed to avoid the one chapter in Birthright that has them but I recall them being significantly more annoying (or at least worrying) in Conquest despite their infrequency... I kind of like the concept in a sense except it can so easily just ruin everything, maybe some kinda compromise like only dragging them half-way or so you can rescue them easier... idk

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#27 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:08 PM

Is it just me (birthright) that feels like this game has difficulty escalation this time around? I mean normally in FE games it gets easier the further you get in because you get more units and have them leveled a lot more and then just start doubling everything in existence while taking no damage/dodgetanking for days.

I haven't used many utilities like the mess hall, forging, stat boost items, etc. though.

#28 Mig64

Mig64

The Flying Submarine of Zimbabwe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:ERROR 404

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:14 PM

I am posting here so BlueLeafon can post his thoughts about chapters 26 and 27 in Conquest.

#29 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:16 PM

WAT.

Conquest was worse. Those stupid staff-users were surrounded by like 3 enemies, and the door was locked so it was literally a death trap. (Since enemies in these games can and most likely WILL 2-shot you and hit percentages are the worst lies ever.)

Is it just me (birthright) that feels like this game has difficulty escalation this time around? I mean normally in FE games it gets easier the further you get in because you get more units and have them leveled a lot more and then just start doubling everything in existence while taking no damage/dodgetanking for days.

It definitely does. And the paralogue/xenologue chapters actually scale with you, which is scary. At least in story mode, you can level grind like mad and actually be able to wreck things for a while.

The final boss still 2-shotted my character even at level 17, though. -_-

I am posting here so BlueLeafon can post his thoughts about chapters 26 and 27 in Conquest.

Thank you. XD (You're a bit late though.)

Ah well, while I'm here, I might as well...

Conquest spoilers:

Spoiler

IUfb9Eg.png

#30 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:14 AM

Finished the game today.

I can't help but think of this during that one ending cutscene

Aqua : What do you think of looking at this view, Tokaku?
Tokaku : I see...water.

Aqua : ...gurl, what have I been saying throughout this entire game?

Tokaku : Huh?

Aqua : "You are the ocean's grey waves..." Take a hint, will you?

Tokaku : Say what now?

Aqua : How much do you even miss me to forget that?! It's the song! The one I'm always singing!

Tokaku : Oh sorry, I was listening to the Hoshidan version of it.

Aqua : The wha?

Tokaku : "ユラリユルレリ、泡沫、思い廻る秤" and so on.

Aqua : I've never heard of this... (of course not, this game isn't dual audio)

Tokaku : Well, you are just Nohrian scum, all things considered.

Aqua : PEACE TREATY, WOMAN!

Tokaku : That's just our way of saying "annexation" to get people slightly more comfortable with the idea.

Aqua : ...seriously?

Tokaku : Well come on, what do you expect after we took out their crown prince and king for good?

...by the way did they ever explain why Aqua got kidnapped into Hoshido in the first place?

#31 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:26 AM

Finished the game today.

...by the way did they ever explain why Aqua got kidnapped into Hoshido in the first place?

"Retaliation"

Also, LOL at the conversation.

The beginning of Revelation was the most depressing and frustrating thing, I swear. If only because it was bringing back bitter memories of CERTAIN RELATIVES of mine who wanted me to come with them for their own selfish reasons, wouldn't listen to me and didn't care what I wanted/how I felt. >_< I GUESS THAT MEANS WE HAVE A REALISTIC FAMILY IN FATES 8D

Spoiler

IUfb9Eg.png

#32 flyingace24

flyingace24

#1 Laker Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:00 AM

I kinda stalled playing the game and got back into it recently the last few days. I swear towards the last few chapters the enemy strength just escalated WAY too quickly. I went from OHKOing the enemies in Ch. 22 to all of a sudden getting OHKO'd in Ch. 25. Even my wall, Great Knight Hinoka w/ Guard Naginata goes from full HP to single digits in one turn from all the enemies. Time to start playing defensively, I suppose. I'm definitely going to go Hard/Casual on Conquest.

#33 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:44 AM

^ I'm going to admit it: After playing Birthright, I was absolutely positively NOT looking forwards to Conquest at all, simply because of how awful the game scales. So I chose Phoenix mode. AND I DO NOT REGRET IT. AT ALL. Elise and Azura were OHKO'd so many times, I think it beat the number of times my Pokemon were OHKO'd in every Pokemon game ever.

IUfb9Eg.png

#34 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:57 AM

I just learned this is a thing

http://fireemblem.wi...wiki/Bond_Units

it isn't even voluntary on one end

and people thought the face rubbing was creepy

#35 flyingace24

flyingace24

#1 Laker Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:41 AM

It's taken me a while, but I've finally gotten to the final chapter. Is it just me, or has this FE game been a bit underwhelming? I just haven't had the urge like other FE games to beat it and play a lot. Are Conquest and Revelation any better?

#36 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:34 AM

It's taken me a while, but I've finally gotten to the final chapter. Is it just me, or has this FE game been a bit underwhelming? I just haven't had the urge like other FE games to beat it and play a lot. Are Conquest and Revelation any better?

My friend is still trying to convince me to play FE (edit - clarification: FE Fates) by selling me on Conquest.  He claims it's basically a lot more like the older games difficulty wise and the objectives are a bit more fun than before.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#37 Rujio

Rujio

I eat Axel

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 04:09 AM

My friend got me Conquest and now I'm playing through Birthright.

Tbh I'm enjoying Birthright's story a lot more (or, Birthright!Corrin a lot more) but gameplay-wise Conquest is way, way more interesting. I'm just kind of plowing through Birthright, and it's all kill the boss/rout, but Conquest had stuff like defending and escaping. Enemies are also a lot tougher and more varied. I had to actually strategize placement/pair up/skills/etc. instead of just sort of waving so and so over that way and letting them kill things.

As far as writing goes, it might just be that I went in with rock bottom expectations after Awakening, but Fates seems a lot better to me. Generally the characters (with the exception of the Awakening expies) seem more like people and less like playthings. I think it helps that a lot of the characters are tied to the story and thus each other and have actual backgrounds because of that. It's still not amazing, but it sure beats Awakening. It at least has its moments where I actually care. I think in large part the weaknesses the writing has come from the dating sim aspects, and I don't know that there's any way to fix those without getting rid of kids and MU.

?????????
???????
There, katakana. Happy?
Bobryk -- holy crap I look away for two seconds and I have knots all up in my shit

#38 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:29 PM

avatar characters and children units themselves aren't the issue so much as how the story handles them. Fe4 does really well with children because you have the game separated into two generations with your kids only showing up after the first half is over. Unit pairings were a strategic thing in that too because you could optimize the children by pairing up people for the best stats(and you almost had to because the difficulty was nothing to laugh at). And avatar characters in fire emblem can definitely be a good thing, but they shouldn't be a big part of the story, or(and don't shoot me for saying this) they should be worked into the story with added visual novel elements. You as the main character get to make decisions in a fire emblem game. I think that would be awesome. And I'm not just talking like "join hoshido" I'm thinking like full on branching plot tree. The basic fire emblem formula is in a good place with fates imo. Casuals have what they want, and veterans get at least some of what they want I'm thinking specifically conquest hard mode. I don't think that FE ever will go that direction, but I think that a lot of people would like it.

#39 Rujio

Rujio

I eat Axel

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:49 PM

FE4's plot definitely did help with the children, but I think also for the parents it was a lot better. It helped that your units don't say much and that there's a sense of much more time passing. The falling in love is much more believable (which is ironic, since there was so little of it). In Fates, you have to go from friends to having a grown child(ren) in one short conversation, which is impossible to do, and you have to have that available for everyone. Even something like F!CorrinxSilas, which would so easily become romantic organically and honestly reads as if it's supposed to become romantic from the beginning, has to lurch into partners for life and feels awkward. If there just weren't children (or it was like FE4 and it could be a few years before they had kids) there could have been a lovely S support in which they just, you know, barely became romantic. Maybe they could, like, decide to eat dinner alone or something. Nope, instead they decide to have a couple kids.

I think that's part of why I have particularly enjoyed the sibling supports - these characters have actual, natural relationships to build on without any particular goal. There's already material to work with, and they aren't forced.

To be honest, I've never felt that avatar characters work well being involved in stories. Making it feel like there's a full story while also accounting for all the different possibilities just isn't usually feasible (though it would be great if someone executed it really well), and if you don't do that the avatar has to be generic and boring (a la Robin/Corrin/maybeChrisbutIplayedFE12inJapanesesoIdon'treallyknow?). I think something more like Skyrim, where the story happens around you and it's just your job to move the plot along, works pretty well. But trying to have emotional investment while also being generic? I feel like the problem with that is obvious.

?????????
???????
There, katakana. Happy?
Bobryk -- holy crap I look away for two seconds and I have knots all up in my shit

#40 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:37 AM

Having had the chance to read a few of the supports now (thank god for YouTube I guess), goddamn.  They are clunky as hell.  I can't tell if they just can't info dump properly or are completely ignoring "show don't tell"...but it's just a train wreck at times.  Some of them come out alright but it's just downright ugly at other points. 

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users