Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Fire Blazer : (15 September 2019 - 05:39 AM) I do kinda miss the days these forums were active :(
@  Ezra : (29 August 2019 - 04:14 PM) *BOX!!!*
@  kirant : (19 August 2019 - 12:49 PM) Huh. Bothammer time.
@  Elwood : (12 August 2019 - 05:57 AM) Oh, new posts! ...And it's bots. Kinda nostalgic actually.
@  xcrash1998 : (22 June 2019 - 09:24 PM) (Brushes dust of the Shoutbox)
@  Elwood : (17 June 2019 - 06:14 AM) *tumbleweed*
@  Lucina : (16 June 2019 - 09:19 AM) Whew. I haven't been here in forever.
@  Cero : (11 June 2019 - 06:51 PM) oof
@  kirant : (01 June 2019 - 05:54 PM) f
@  Fire Blazer : (30 May 2019 - 03:01 AM) rip
@  Valke : (29 May 2019 - 08:20 AM) bruh i deleted my discord a few months ago,,,,
@  Fire Blazer : (28 May 2019 - 01:59 AM) glad ur alive. join our Discord
@  Fire Blazer : (28 May 2019 - 01:59 AM) yo
@  Valke : (25 May 2019 - 03:08 PM) im alive, college finally gave me breaks (coupled with a few assignments i need to turn next week)
@  Valke : (25 May 2019 - 03:07 PM) hi
@  Valke : (25 May 2019 - 03:07 PM) guys
@  Fire Blazer : (25 March 2019 - 10:43 PM) how things have changed
@  Elwood : (12 March 2019 - 08:31 AM) (a sigh somewhere between small and large)
@  kirant : (12 March 2019 - 05:40 AM) (larger sigh)
@  Fire Blazer : (11 March 2019 - 08:49 PM) (small sigh)

Photo

Megaupload Wiped from the Internet

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Oblivion Knight

Oblivion Knight

Denial eSports Journalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video Games, Strategy Games, Smite, Hearthstone, Poetry, Writing

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

If you haven't heard and happen to be living under a rock, well Megaupload/video no longer exists. The US government with all of the news of SOPA and PIPA utterly tearing the internet to shreds proceeded to remove Megaupload from internet existence.

See here for more information: http://www.sfgate.co...LY37N.DTL&tsp=1

Now it may just be me but... wouldn't this just further support pirating? Rather than easily being able to watch an anime or something of like nature on Megavideo, you're forced to find it via well pirating? I'm not a fan of this move by the US government at all? Why? Well considering it's going to take loads of time to simply find anime now let alone be able to watch it. Secondly it's the internet in other words, impacting the entire world, not simply the United States. It simply feels like an utter train wreck and a sign of horrible things to come even if SOPA and PIPA don't get passed as well because they already closed down megaupload before either of the two managed to pass. Then... if this is the case, what's next? Are they going to completely ignore it failing to pass and still be idiots and censor more of the internet?

What are your thoughts on this issue?
Knight of the Realm -- Sain can't get laid. Therefore Kent > Sain.
Knight of the Realm -- My logic is flawless.

QUOTE (bblues @ May 30 2012, 07:13 AM)
My, this so...if you're wondering why I haven't posted, it's because my palms are so glued to my face I can't pull them off.

One of the top three Ryans.

user posted image

This won't be removed until the Browns win the Super Bowl. - Started 9/7/09

#2 Echo-279

Echo-279

The Gray Ghost.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

I think that the SOPA and PIPA acts are completely stupid, if they pass, Canada probably would back it up.
Darkness will reclaim what the Light had created.

I will not remove this until i beat Bloody Palace mode in DMC 3.

" Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to? think they're invincible...I bet you do too, Buddy."

QUOTE (Rujio @ Jun 16 2013, 05:22 PM)
Welcome to FEShrine, where our core members are lurkers and bots.

QUOTE (SmashedFish @ Feb 20 2013, 05:01 AM)
I hate you, Ryoku. Jk. Happy birthday, Ryoku! Hope you have a long and fulfilling year ahead of you.

Quote it

user posted image

#3 Shu

Shu

Sealord

• GFX Artist
  • 1,450 posts
  • Interests:Pimpin'

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

Agreed. While I can get that they want to shut down sites doing illegal stuff, there really isn't a way to stop it from happening with the way the internet is now.

Yeah, SOPA's dumb.
user posted image
Gallery

I will not remove this until the Vikings win the Super Bowl - Started 1/28/11

"i had to google bukkake."
-Boney

#4 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Interests:dingleberries

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

The only good news is that the internet black outs held Wed had an affect. Its been confirmed that several congressmen openly withdrew their support of both bills. Its only a matter of time until all of them follow suit. Still the raid on Megaupload sees wierd to me. Why attack just that one site when SOPA and PIPA haven't even passed yet? Oh well.
user posted image

#5 Seth

Seth

~The Silver Knight~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Video games, writing, reading, parkour~

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

It was to be expected really. We said, 'screw you, the internet can do what it wants', and then they sad 'Nuh Uh', and shut down what contained 4% of the internet's bandwidth.

It just shows how far some people are willing to take this. Even without SOPA/PIPA, if they can find pirated material on a site, through a lot of work, they can go shut it down. SOPA/PIPA would merely let them bypass the work. (At least that's how I understand it)

The worst part is how they went ALL THE WAY TO NEW ZEALAND to arrest people for breaking UNITED STATES laws. Kind of stupid if you ask me.

The only good part is that this will surely bring more attention to the subject of SOPA/PIPA, and the horrors it entails. Let's just hop it brings enough.
user posted image
Seth is the best. Mostly because he shares my name.

#6 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:03 AM

Yea. I had already heard about them going to England to try an arrest a guy there for downloading music that for him was legal, but to the US was illegal. Seriously its stupid shit like that that makes the world hate the US. Our government thinks we're the world police.
user posted image

#7 Falaflame

Falaflame

Confronting the past

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • Interests:Nothing much beyond your typical gamer.

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (Grey Tensho @ Jan 20 2012, 09:03 PM)
Our government thinks we're the world police.

You figured this out just now?

Also there's a report that the Anonymous group responded to this attack by hacking into several FBI websites.

Fighting the ghosts of my past. I'd rather not remember who I once used to be..

#8 Rujio

Rujio

I eat Axel

• Veterans
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

America is convinced it is in charge of the world. Have you ever watched Hetalia?

Anyways, I think it is justified here. Megaupload payed people to upload illegal material. If they hadn't done that, I'm pretty sure this wouldn't have happened unless SOPA was passed.
?????????
???????
There, katakana. Happy?
Bobryk -- holy crap I look away for two seconds and I have knots all up in my shit

#9 Seth

Seth

~The Silver Knight~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Video games, writing, reading, parkour~

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

Anyways, I think it is justified here. Megaupload payed people to upload illegal material. If they hadn't done that, I'm pretty sure this wouldn't have happened unless SOPA was passed.

I never heard they pay people to upload illegal content, could you link to the source?

And in any case, taking down an entire website, which is also full of legitimate files, just for some pirated material? I don't know what to think. Sucks though.
user posted image
Seth is the best. Mostly because he shares my name.

#10 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (Seth @ Jan 21 2012, 11:26 AM)

I never heard they pay people to upload illegal content, could you link to the source?

And in any case, taking down an entire website, which is also full of legitimate files, just for some pirated material? I don't know what to think. Sucks though.

I can't find a source on it, but I do remember contests they'd hold where whoever could get the most downloads on an illegal file would win cash.

To be fair, Megaupload wasn't doing themselves any favours either...their interior e-mails had higher ups bragging about how much piracy they committed, if the indictment document is to be trusted.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#11 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

Ah yeah I heard about this too, didn't know there was a topic here for it. XD

I think it's kind of silly with their timing--right after the whole SOPA and PIPA drama (which isn't over, but, you know, it's not at its peak) they decided to do something as controversial as take megaupload down. It seems like the government wasn't exactly thinking things through in terms of conflict, hype, etc...

Though they may have been trying to make a stand/make a point by doing it right after the whole drama, that they didn't want piracy to go on. Admittedly megaupload does have a lot of piracy going on and the administration probably didn't do much to stop it but meh, I don't exactly think it was super bad... but at least there's some reasoning behind taking it down.

Also there's a report that the Anonymous group responded to this attack by hacking into several FBI websites.

Aye I also heard about this... they sound pretty crazy, they hacked into several government websites and then posted about it on pastebin (I'm more surprised someone FOUND that post on pastebin... XD). I don't uh... what's the word--when you support something--anyway I don't like, support what they are doing, or promote it, or anything... ah, just found the words I was looking for--advocate/endorse--anyway I don't advocate such action but I think it's kind of expected that there'd be some retaliation. It's not like they shut down some no-name site no one uses. ._.

Our government doesn't only think its the world police, it propagates that notion everywhere. A lot of people agree with this but not much is done to actually stop them, the government makes it seem like the people have a lot of power but the system is rigged so we don't. That's a whole 'nother issue though...

Last thing to say... I obviously think SOPA and PIPA are wrong... and not just because I love pirates, but because it has the potential to be abused and threaten our freedoms legitimately. Even the best case scenario of SOPA and PIPA working out wouldn't be beneficial overall for us. The worst case scenario is just plain scary. It's for that reason that I gave my heavy support behind the protests by blocking FEShrine etc. etc.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#12 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (Ledah @ Jan 21 2012, 06:14 AM)
QUOTE (Grey Tensho @ Jan 20 2012, 09:03 PM)
Our government thinks we're the world police.

You figured this out just now?

Uh obviously not. Just saying this shit is stupid. Going as far to arrest someone whos never set foot in the country for breaking a law that only exists here.
user posted image

#13 Ristau

Ristau

LIGHTS Super-fan

• Veterans
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

I've heard the same of the whole Anonymous thing. If that's true, I dont see how the government could even think to continue. Anonymous has proven before there power and what they are capable of. Here is a very (crude) analogy. If the United States was a Jewish leader, and Anonymous was Hitler, it would be like the US was saying they were going to save all of the Jewish people, so then Anonymous was going to destroy the Jewish leader by attacking him technologically.
Posted Image

#14 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:57 AM

That was a really weird analogy, weird enough that it didn't even convince me of whatever you were trying to convince me of. No offense. XD

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#15 Falaflame

Falaflame

Confronting the past

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  • Interests:Nothing much beyond your typical gamer.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:25 AM

Well, either way, it's bad enough sabotaging the internet, but honestly, taking away our free will is crossing the line.

Fighting the ghosts of my past. I'd rather not remember who I once used to be..

#16 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (Ledah @ Jan 21 2012, 10:25 PM)
Well, either way, it's bad enough sabotaging the internet, but honestly, taking away our free will is crossing the line.

Which is why I'm honestly thinking of moving to Germany or Japan after I'm out of the military.
user posted image

#17 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:55 AM

Germany? That's... funny, given their history. But I won't really judge THAT fast...

Japan is... I have no idea. We might like their culture fromt he video game and anime perspective, but meh...

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#18 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:36 AM

>w> I'm not gonna judge a country based on what the Nazis did. Two of my best friends on this earth live there and they hate what Hitler did as much as the next guy.

And at the very least I wanna check out Japan.
user posted image

#19 Oblivion Knight

Oblivion Knight

Denial eSports Journalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video Games, Strategy Games, Smite, Hearthstone, Poetry, Writing

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

I'm pretty happy this topic caught on in my slight absence since this topic interested me a lot.

Regarding the World Police idea, yes they really do hold true to that and I'm partially okay with it however it has it's limits. If they're patrolling to provide peace between nations and halting possible wars? I'm game for world wide police. However if it if for what they've done with Megaupload then no, I'm not in the slightest. I heard a brief mention of Anonymous striking back but I did not have too much knowledge of it until now. Thanks for that.

Taking away free will is never a good step in running any form of group/club/town/city/area/state/country/anything really. If you anger the people especially people who vastly overpopulate you. Unless you're somehow invincible, the people could revolt (with proper coordination) and take you down swiftly.

Regarding areas to visit (although it's a bit off topic)...
My mom always joked about moving to Canada if America did anything too stupid. I wouldn't mind this at all since I have quite a few internet friends in Canada and it is pretty close since I live in Northern Ohio and all.
Knight of the Realm -- Sain can't get laid. Therefore Kent > Sain.
Knight of the Realm -- My logic is flawless.

QUOTE (bblues @ May 30 2012, 07:13 AM)
My, this so...if you're wondering why I haven't posted, it's because my palms are so glued to my face I can't pull them off.

One of the top three Ryans.

user posted image

This won't be removed until the Browns win the Super Bowl. - Started 9/7/09

#20 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:28 PM

Well I found out a little bit more about why Megaupload was taken down. It had NOTHING to do with SOPA. No. Ever wonder why Anonymous got so pissed when it was taken down? Anonymous used Megaupload as a sort of trojan. When people downloaded stuff from Megaupload, some of them unknowingly downloaded a little something extra that helped Anonymous carry out DDS attacks. The FBI finally found them out and shut it down for THAT reason, hence why Anonymous lost their shit and attacked the FBI.

EDIT: I also found out that Obama had already moved to VETO SOPA and PIPA so they were never a threat to begin with.
user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users