Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Original Characters Name Creation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Oblivion Knight

Oblivion Knight

Denial eSports Journalist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video Games, Strategy Games, Smite, Hearthstone, Poetry, Writing

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

Wasn't quite sure where to put this but decided on here. Besides, the writing section is basically always lol dead. When you make original characters, or OCs as some call them, for writing or FE hacks or the like, what exactly is your decision for naming certain characters the names you chose for them? Was it simply a name you picked out randomly? A name that was a reference to something else? Or perhaps a name that you liked and decided to go with it because you feel it fit your character?

user posted image In Felix's case, unlike what everyone usually mentioned, he was not named to reference Felix the cat, but rather another Felix entirely. There was a character named Felix Unger from an old Sitcom called Odd Couple, where two grown men, almost completely different from each other share an apartment together and help each other through their own daily lives and issues.

If you were curious, take a look at this link of Felix Unger in action:

So I ask, what reason for naming your characters the names you gave them? This applied to everyone, not necessarily for writers or for hackers, to clarify.
Knight of the Realm -- Sain can't get laid. Therefore Kent > Sain.
Knight of the Realm -- My logic is flawless.

QUOTE (bblues @ May 30 2012, 07:13 AM)
My, this so...if you're wondering why I haven't posted, it's because my palms are so glued to my face I can't pull them off.

One of the top three Ryans.

user posted image

This won't be removed until the Browns win the Super Bowl. - Started 9/7/09

#2 Axel

Axel

Dirty Ghetto Kids

• Banned
  • 894 posts
  • Interests:WADUUP HOMIE, HOW YOU DOIN?

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

Pie.. it came from my soul.. deep within myself, it came to me in a dream.. it made me find myself, and all the secrets of this world.. it is.. A MAGICAL NAME.
user posted image

"Puberty is the prelude to, and preparation for, sexual as well as emotional maturity and fullfulment in later lfe...".

user posted image

#3 Nice Middle

Nice Middle

Chancellor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

@Bobryk: Yeah, obviously, it's hard to read your book without imaginating that Sigurd and Lloyd look like Sigurd from Fire emblem and Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia.
QUOTE (Fire Blazer @ Jul 25 2014, 07:59 PM)
I have cero love for you or your shenanigans

QUOTE (Holy Kensai @ May 18 2012, 08:01 PM)
Gotta love how even in fan fiction I'm a badass.

#4 Bobryk

Bobryk

;/

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Interests:Brunettes<br>Being awesome<br>Meat products

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

@Calad yeah, since this is a FIRE EMBLEM forum then I suppose that's legit XD even though my Sig and FE Sig look nothing alike . And I've never played any Tales games so I don't know about this Irving guy.

Straight from my blog lolmarketing ploy

Sigurd: Formerly Fred. I was in my Life Science 101 class and the professor put up a slide showing some dude named Sigurd. I was like "this is a pretty sweet name. I think I'll use it!"

Euwart: His name was always Euwart. Pretty sure I made it up, but no idea how.
Ever since my days of writing as a kid (around age 8-10) he's been there as the big muscular guy. He's stayed relatively the same.

Tristan: Formerly Joe. I found the name on a "medieval names list" and thought it fit perfectly. Subsequently, every person in his family (aside from his mother) has a "T" name.

Lloyd: I was at work, stocking some Lloyd's BBQ ribs. Viola. This one's actually pretty funny.

Adrian: Formerly Frank. Sort of random, actually.

user posted image

#5 Nayr

Nayr

Swooping is bad

• Banned
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:02 AM

Nayr, well my name is Ryan, so its just that backwards.

I didn't originally use it for my FE OC, it was technically Xeld who named it by assumption. I just decided to roll with it afterward.

#6 Ristau

Ristau

LIGHTS Super-fan

• Veterans
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

I knew "Nayr" sounded firmiliar. How did I not see it... I'm a Ryan too! (Aswell as Oblivion).

The way I found Regis was by googling "Cool names that start with R" and then I scrolled through a list. But the reason I picked Regis is because when I saw it, I was reminded of an episode of the TV show "Megas XLR" where the main villian was called the "R.E.G.I.S. Mark V" and I always thought that the episode was hilarious. (I was like 7)

that reminds me, I need to change my character bio to a line from the video.
Posted Image

#7 Nayr

Nayr

Swooping is bad

• Banned
  • 259 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE (Bobryk @ Jun 2 2012, 12:44 PM)

Sigurd: Formerly Fred. I was in my Life Science 101 class and the professor put up a slide showing some dude named Sigurd. I was like "this is a pretty sweet name. I think I'll use it!"

Euwart: His name was always Euwart. Pretty sure I made it up, but no idea how.
Ever since my days of writing as a kid (around age 8-10) he's been there as the big muscular guy. He's stayed relatively the same.

Tristan: Formerly Joe. I found the name on a "medieval names list" and thought it fit perfectly. Subsequently, every person in his family (aside from his mother) has a "T" name.

Lloyd: I was at work, stocking some Lloyd's BBQ ribs. Viola. This one's actually pretty funny.

Adrian: Formerly Frank. Sort of random, actually.

@Sigurd: At least you weren't learning about Beowolf. That name would be horrible for the character. tongue.gif

@Euwart: Could you have simply misspelled the English name "Ewart"(with an accent, Ew can make an Eu sound. Like in the name Ewen, which is pronounced like youwin.)

@Tristan: Tristan sounds more modernish though. So not everybody would make the connection to King Arthur's knight who fell in love with Iseult. Now if you'd named him Bors, Lancelor, or Percival, it'd be a different story.

@Lloyd: I figured the name came from Fire Emblem's Lloyd, never mind a brand of barbecued ribs.(They're good ribs tho.)

@Adrian: That name just sounds cool. Although it doesn't really match the face I picture him with. A name like Carter or Bernard, that would. tongue.gif

#8 Bobryk

Bobryk

;/

• Veterans
  • 1,363 posts
  • Interests:Brunettes<br>Being awesome<br>Meat products

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:54 AM

Beowolf would've been god awful. And the guy was some old scientist who I can't think of the last name right now.

I honestly have no clue how I thought up Euwart. I was really young so I didn't know about the name "Ewart" in fact I just learned it now by reading your post

Tristan is a medieval name that's survived throughout the years so yeah it's kind of modern-ish. I picked it because it kind of fit his character tongue.gif
user posted image

#9 Nayr

Nayr

Swooping is bad

• Banned
  • 259 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

QUOTE (Bobryk @ Jun 7 2012, 12:54 AM)

Beowolf would've been god awful. And the guy was some old scientist who I can't think of the last name right now

Tristan is a medieval name that's survived throughout the years so yeah it's kind of modern-ish. I picked it because it kind of fit his character tongue.gif

I assumed you were learning about the legendary hero in Norse myth.

Does that mean he and Lloyd are gonna drink a love potion and fall head over heels? xD

I'm sorry man, it was too easy.

Back on the original topic.

I've got a few OCs for a thing I'm writing now.

Trevor de-Celice - the prince of the Kingdom of Celicia. The first name is recycled from that story I was writing before that Furetchen ripped into. The guardsman is now a prince. The last name came from Celice of FE4. Not for any specific reason. Unless being pissed over the localization of his name being Serlis is affecting things. As for the "de-" part. I like the idea of nobles and royals having prefixes in their names.

Grace Montell. - Long story short, I needed a name and I've seen too much Will and Grace. The last name is just something I thought up at the last moment. Was going to make it so commoners had no surnames but that didn't seem right.

Antony la-Murray - Name obviously came from Antony and Cleopatra. It's a bit more unique than just putting Anthony. Like with Grace's last name, I just pulled his out of my ass in the moment.

Farley Rosefield - Anybody whose read my Nathan's Knights fanfic thoroughly knows the name Farley.

Emperor Malcolm Devias VI - The name Malcolm is also recycled from my other story. The surname Devias I like because it sounds like "devious.' The VI is, well, because he's from a long line of Malcolm's.

#10 Rujio

Rujio

I eat Axel

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:05 AM

I just sorta pull names outa the air. I also went through a phase with weird obsessions with spelling conventions. Like the letter y and double consonants specifically. This happened to coincide with the time when I was most creative, although I'm becoming rather creative again now. I'm still not as good at coming up with names as I used to be, though. For instance, minor characters get names from reality, even if they are less common names. Like Matilda and Sabrina. I have met one Sabrina and no Matildas in my life, but they are well known names. I think they fit the setting of my story, too.
?????????
???????
There, katakana. Happy?
Bobryk -- holy crap I look away for two seconds and I have knots all up in my shit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users