Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Speedrunning

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • Interests:Games and such. Anime and other stuff.

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:23 PM

So some of you might know that I've been into speedrunning lately, so I wanted to get an opinion on speedrunning in this forum.

What do you think of speedrunning? 

What is your favorite speedrun to watch? (For me this is easily any platformer. Such precise movement is great to watch.)

Have you ever tried to speedrun?

I picked up speedrunning Sonic Adventure 2 and learning the ins and out of the game has helped me get an understanding of how some limitations in games work. I've gotten a bit out of it so I wanted to know you guys' thoughts. 

Posted Image

Posted Image         Posted Image

#2 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:23 AM

i've watched a few speedruns, but never really enjoyed any of them. just didn't get anything out of them tbh...actually that's not quite true. i did look at a speedrun to figure out how to beat the giant lizard boss in metroid zero mission(i knew the basic idea, but i couldn't get a handle on how to actually pull it off before checkign out the speedrun video). my opinion is a little biased though since i don't really enjoy watching videos of people playing games in general. i'd rather just play it myself since most of the time you can't get much out of watching a game. at least for me it's difficult to translate what i see into how it feels to actually do those things.

#3 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 28 October 2015 - 04:39 AM

zac makes a good point that I didn't think of: speedrunning videos can actually occasionally be helpful for figuring out how to quickly clear difficult parts of a game

but other than that, I'm pretty uninterested. I don't have time to watch them so I don't... and what that really means is "they aren't a priority"--sure, I could watch them instead of good anime, but... I'm not going to, because I find them relatively boring =P this kinda goes for LPs in general and I've stated this before, so this probably isn't too surprising

that being said, people who can legitimately speedrun a game in such a way that they play it really well are awesome. exploits and the like are... sometimes cool, and sometimes not--it can kinda be cool but in another way it's like,man, you're just kind of using bugs int he game to go by it faster, are you really playing the game or is this just a farce to see who can get to the end first? like, speedrunning to me should be about player skill/strategy, not skipping parts of levels or entire levels or something. but that's not what the actual "speedrunners" think so eh, that's nothing but my own idea.

it's just like, imagine you have a a race where you start in one corner of a square and have to go the other corner of the square. My idea of speedrunning would be: run along the edge (i.e. the path) and reach the other corner. But what we actually see is one person trying to cut across the middle, another person teleporting to one corner and then running the rest of the distance, and a 3rd person hopping into a car and flooring it along the main path as fast as they can. but the guy who just ran super fast along the path is the best to me. maybe there's an old lady who needs help along the way, no they don't have to do that, it doesn't have to be a completionist run, I'm just more interested in skill than gimmicks.

in the end though, it's not like I watch speedrunners, at most I just respect good ones in the back of my head, so... meh. my opinion doesn't really matter XP

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users